Club Cobra GasN Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Classic Roadsters II

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-07-2008, 05:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadster
Not Ranked     
Default Quick jack dissapointment...

I have some custom made bumpers that came on the car when I purchased it. You can probably see what I mean in my gallery. I thought I would change things up a bit and install some quick jacks instead. An easy bolt on upgrade so I thought. I ordered a set of quick jacks from Finishline, polished stainless steel, even on sale, they look great in the box. They arrived the other day and in my excitement to see how they would look I was greatly dissapointed to see the bolt hole pattern does not come close. New jacks are 2 3/4" center to center and my Classic Roadster is more like 3 1/2" center to center. Who would have thought they could be so different? Anyway I have some nice QJ's and nowhere to put them. I will have to send them back which is a pita but where would I go to get the right size bolt pattern? Do I need custom made parts? CRII won't answer the phone so I can't ask them. Any ideas are welcome.

John
Old 03-07-2008, 06:17 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: JBL now SOLD
Send a message via AIM to jdean
Not Ranked     

John,

You will need to have them custom made. Make a cardboard template using the ones you have, then get some cut and drilled for 3 1/2" pattern. You can then get them chromed and they will look great. This may not be as expensive as you think.

On my CR, I used FFR quickjacks, but re-did the hole spacing as I was building the car.
Old 03-07-2008, 08:15 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks JDean, I was thinking that I will have to do this. I will have to change the flange size to accommodate the larger hole pattern. What do I have them cut from...so they can be welded and chromed?

John
Old 03-07-2008, 09:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

You can have them made from 1/4" plate aluminum or Stainless and polish them or mild steel and have them chromed.
Old 03-07-2008, 09:53 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: NAF 289 Slabside Early Comp Car with 289 Webers and all the goodies. Cancelling the efforts of several Priuses
Not Ranked     

Another option and one I faced was filling (with weld material) the existing holes, grinding them smooth and redrilling the necessary pattern and then chrome or powder coat them. Mine turned out very nice.

As you slide down the Banister of Life, may the splinters never be pointing the wrong way
Old 03-08-2008, 12:42 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I looked in your gallery. Looks like you already have the tubing spacers you need. In fact, you could take the bumpers you have and cut them off at the angle, then weld quickjack shaped side to them cut from 1/4" or 3/16" plate, then have them polished smooth and chromed. Powder coated black would also look good with your color scheme.

Quickjacks would be a more racy look compared to the bumperettes in my opinion.

Last edited by jdean; 03-08-2008 at 12:45 AM..
Old 03-08-2008, 09:44 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: None, sold it
Not Ranked     

MaSnaka,

I have a set of quickjacks that are made of steel with the small bolt pattern. I am using the small bumperettes and am not going to use the quickjacks. They came with my car (althought I don't know why) and they are the incorrect bolt pattern. I do not know where or why the guy that I bought my Cobra from had them. You can have them if you want. I am probably going to be in south Sac/Elk Grove area this afternoon. If you want to meet I can bring them. You can modify them like Rick said. I will PM you with my other halfs cell number. Give me a call if you want.

Just a thought, Terry
Old 03-08-2008, 04:58 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadsters 351 Windsor 405 HP
Not Ranked     

I also have a set that came with the car but after whacking my leg on them for the umpteenth I took them off and got the bumperettes from Don I think they look better and my shins like them too!
Old 03-08-2008, 08:30 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Art has a great point..... I like the quickjacks but my shins hate them.....too often they appear from nowhere as I walk by the front of the car, and they have NO give when they hit the shins.
Old 03-09-2008, 04:26 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Professional Cobra & Streetrod Builder
Send a message via AIM to Double Venom
Not Ranked     

I have seen "stitches" from quickjacks, not pretty. Quickjacks are for exactly what they say they are. If you car goes into a handicap mode on a track then a properly equipped tow vehicle has to have a bar/pipe made to fit the quickjacks. The tow vehicle then simply slides the pipe under the 'hooks' pick the front end up and tows...

FINISHLINE: No body, but no body is a bigger fan of theirs than I, BUT, I have said it many times, be carefull on what you order from them for your CR II car, very few of their parts will bolt onto a CR II!
DV
Old 03-09-2008, 07:21 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I must have been lucky because my car "bolted" together just they way it was supposed to everything except the wiring harness which was wired wrong at the block that went thru the fire wall I solved that problem by getting a set of painless wires and when I sent the old wires back to Don he offered to pay for them but I said I'd take a roll bar instead so he sent it to me
Old 03-11-2008, 09:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Art, Do you still have the extra set of jacks? If so I would be interested if you want to get rid of them. They fit the larger CR bolt pattern and what finish are they?

John
Old 03-16-2008, 05:14 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Quick jacks

John, I sent them out on Friday you should have them soon
Art
Old 04-06-2008, 07:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadster; 351W
Not Ranked     

So do most CR cobras use a 2 3/4 bumper bolt spacing and MaSnaka's car is different with 3 1/2 spacing? Or do all CR Cobras utilize the 3 1/2 space. I want to get some but not sure based on this thread.
Old 04-06-2008, 07:51 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: None, sold it
Not Ranked     

My CR bolt pattern is 3 1/2" C to C.

Terry
Old 04-07-2008, 04:30 AM
Evryday is a roadstr day
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RHD Hurricane street roadster HM1081 aging nicely in the garage
Not Ranked     

If you put the quick jacks on the car, are you going to try to use them? Some of the replicas front mounting systems won't hold the weight will they? I'd want to check around before I tried hoisting the car with them, could so some serious damage if the bolts bend or the mounting tears off or bends a bit.
Old 04-07-2008, 07:46 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #298 427 FI
Not Ranked     

Most of the modern cobra quick jacks are for cosmetic purposes only. I would not try using them unless you are very sure they cabable. Chances are they are not functional.
Old 04-07-2008, 08:49 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Professional Cobra & Streetrod Builder
Send a message via AIM to Double Venom
Not Ranked     

Hmmm,?
I certainly would not tow with the CR's Q.J.'s, but we have, and since it is a hardened bolt going straigh into the frame and out the other side we have even lifted one side of the car (many times) using the quick jacks. I guess it is all how they are built and how they are made.

Oh, CR's bolt pattern front and rear are built to "IW" standards which are 3-1/2"s on center front and rear. Finishline's will not fit this pattern!
DV
Old 04-07-2008, 10:12 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #298 427 FI
Not Ranked     

Yours may very well be functional, unfortunately mine are not, they do work quite well for splitting you head open as I found out this weekend
Old 04-07-2008, 10:45 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I'm thinking about changing out mine to quick jacks, I'll check Finishline as they should fit an ERA OK.