Club Cobra Keith Craft Racing  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Classic Roadsters II

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-02-2008, 01:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: classic roadsters II, 351W with about 400 hp
Not Ranked     
Default any news about CRII

Hey.
anybody out there haird anything lately from Don
his last communication was on 2/1, thats 2 months ago.
How much longer can we wait!!
Old 04-02-2008, 02:15 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CRII 351W/408 Stroker
Send a message via AIM to capteddie
Not Ranked     

Nope nothing here....

I've called and left numerous messages and nothing. I did get Don's son to respond to a post on CRII forum for a fuel spillage well for the rear fender, but that was awhile ago.

I think we are on our own from here on out. To bad. Really put a bad taste in my mouth with regards to working with smaller outfits.

Ed
Old 04-02-2008, 02:32 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I know that the Kit car industry can be frustrating. Alot of people think that they can build and market a car and are poorly prepared for the cost of doing business. Often they get over their head and suddenly disappear.
But, not all "small" businesses are like that. I have a small kit car company but I am in the enviable position of not having to live from kit sales. I have been fortunate to invent and market some simple products that provide my living income. I do my cars for fun and expect to be a round for a long time. Any one that contacts me gets a prompt response. John
Old 04-02-2008, 03:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Professional Cobra & Streetrod Builder
Send a message via AIM to Double Venom
Not Ranked     

abram, et.al.,

Once again Don CAN NOT answer any calls at this point-Lawyers orders!
I am as "hyper" as anyone, even more so if the truth be known, but I can tell you at this point it is all over but the inspection of the contracts between Don-IMAR (?) and the newest buyer. The new buyer is a car nut like all of us too! Of course he can not say anything yet. Every thing could, but not expected to, fall through over night!

I only hope it works out for everyone of them. It will only mean very serious upgrades on the cobras, the manual, already the best in the business, and the rest of the line of CR II's cars.

What is in the works for the cars is amazing to say the least. Unfortunately many of us have been caught in a rapidly growing and changing commerce. (I certainly would not call CR II a small business! Not with millions, worldwide sales.)

Keeping my fingers crossed for more and better days!
DV
I need to go racing!
Old 04-03-2008, 07:55 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadster 351W, T5, Red & White
Not Ranked     

I purchased my CR I that Don had built in 2000. Over the years, I had a number of contacts with Don regarding parts, maintenance and suggestions. As an example, he was extremely helpful with furnishing the parts when I decided to build a quiet set of side pipes.

As DV mentions, and based upon my past experiences, if Don could reply , I still have the confidence in his integrity and personal desire to assist that he would respond to inquiries.
Old 04-03-2008, 08:23 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadsters
Not Ranked     

DV can you answer my question?

Don always seemed like a good man. A man of intergrity and character. I get the impression that he got burned early on tying to make right all of the bad business practices of the previous owner (Jay??) at his own expense. I tend to think that he overcame all of that and was on the road to success, but then the previous owner (Jay) infused himself into Don's business again recently in a very negative manner and that was what put Don over the hump.

So, Ed, . . DV, Are my beliefs at all valid? Do you know???

thanks
Ed
________
Old 04-03-2008, 10:06 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Yes,
I can answer "some" of your questions. Yes, Jay- the gentlemen that did buy my business "Classics by Elite, Inc. changed to CBE LLC." and was supposed to take it over, help Don build cars and was supposed to run all the sales and turnkeys for Don.

Even though my wife moved to Pentwater and waited....I stayed behind almost a year, driving back and forth to Pentwater almost every weekend. I honestly tried to help Jay perform his business, but that was a long time ago. In the meantime Jay used my relationship and my Business name with Don to run up thousands of dollars in kits and supplies, never paying Don his due. Yes Don took care of all back orders that I know of when he took over from IMAR. Don has stood behind HIS company regardless of the work Jay did/did not do. Jay's bankruptcy left everyone involved in dire needs. My lawsuit with Jay just ended months ago. I still have one "turnkey cobra" that Jay had built, when the owner tried to get it straightened out. Three independat company's wanted to rebuilt it at a price that was way over the price of a new kit. The owner had been asking me to just look at it and I finally agreed. I too totally agreed that the "turnkey job" was a total loss.

I immediately talked to Don (who was waiting in the wings to see if it was really that bad.) Don told me he would supply any and all parts that may be needed to get this gentlemens car straight! About this time either CR- Rutherford (original owner of CR who in turn sold it to IMAR) IMAR or both Rutherford and IMAR got into some kind of hassle with Don's contract. This is where my information stops.

You think that was bad, you should have seen the mess that was created and the story's spread by a few unknowing, but believing Cobra owners. The rumors and inuendo's continued to spread about myself and the FLING! Nice spot "they" were in, they could say and do almost anytihng but I was held back by a so called gag-order! Just as well I guess, or I can assure you the lawsuits would be still be going on today!

As reported Don will do what is right, we're just hanging on waiting for the new owner -to be- get all his ducks in a row and we all can move forward. This is too good a company to let it fade away!
DV

NOTE this is the first and last post that I will address the "JAY" issue.

Last edited by Double Venom; 04-03-2008 at 10:11 AM..
Old 04-03-2008, 10:38 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadsters
Not Ranked     

OK, . . . now for the 64 thousand dollar question. Will any of this litigation and bizarre horse $hit pass on the the new owner, and perpetuate itself forever. Or is this the last of it? Seems like it has carried forward in the past.
________
Old 04-03-2008, 11:57 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Ed,
Pushy,pushy,pushy..........

My Big Bird tells me that what was in the past and that is everything but the car company, is now in the past never to be able to rear its ugly head again. I can tell you-all of you that the past is unequvically gone never to be able to rear its ugly head again. Unfortunately it took Don to get this done! I only can assure you that if this were NOT the case, then the sale that we are all waiting for will not take place!

Can I have my 64K now?
DV
"PATIENCE IS A VIRTUE" What the he$$ is a virtue?
Old 04-03-2008, 12:20 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CR 427 S/C, 351W, 5 Sp & KMP142 - 427 SO, 4 Spd
Not Ranked     

DV - thanks for the information. I really enjoyed Don's help for different
questions and upgrades for my Cobra. Hopefully the new owner will carry
on in the finest tradition set by Don.
Old 04-04-2008, 07:54 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Venom View Post
abram, et.al.,

Once again Don CAN NOT answer any calls at this point-Lawyers orders!
I am as "hyper" as anyone, even more so if the truth be known, but I can tell you at this point it is all over but the inspection of the contracts between Don-IMAR (?) and the newest buyer. The new buyer is a car nut like all of us too! Of course he can not say anything yet. Every thing could, but not expected to, fall through over night!

I only hope it works out for everyone of them. It will only mean very serious upgrades on the cobras, the manual, already the best in the business, and the rest of the line of CR II's cars.

What is in the works for the cars is amazing to say the least. Unfortunately many of us have been caught in a rapidly growing and changing commerce. (I certainly would not call CR II a small business! Not with millions, worldwide sales.)

Keeping my fingers crossed for more and better days!
DV
I need to go racing!
Hey DV
thank you for all the information, you always seems to know more than anyone here. Well appriciated!
Do you know if the new owner will have to fullfill CRII obligation to the clients it owe parts to?
I am still owed close to $10,000 in parts!
I've consultaed a lawyer and honestly, the last thing I want to do is to rage a war a gainst Don.
What do you think I should do?
Old 04-04-2008, 11:53 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

abram,
I Don't really intend to sound like I know more but I have been with CR's since it was CR.
Maybe a couple of hundred Cobras made and sold may help. What you are asking me are good questions but to be held to what I say at this point IS ONLY HEARSAY. NO, I can assure you that the new owner, if it happens, will not be resposible for past orders and rightfully so. (I got the shaft from Rutherford and his crew for over 15K and I still have never gotten over that!)

Suing CE II for money paid for back ordered parts etc. ? Absolutley! I hope you did not think I would say anything less? HOWEVER Let me be very clear about my thoughts on that and here comes the hearsay, "I have heard" that as soon as Dons transactions go through-the money actually changes hands- that Don has vowed to either repay his customers or he will make sure the the parts are delivered once he is allowed to do so. Keep in mind that the man is under some pretty tight restrictions right now and just a simple thing like answering the phone is a strong taboo!

Hearing all the support for Don, from people that actually know him, the people that he has helped along the way, the way he stood behind CR's when they went down the tubes and they way he supplied almost every stage and part the original Classic Roadsters walked out on when Don took over CR's, was to say unbelievable and amazing! But if you knew Don it wasn't surprising at all.

A little history between Don & I; for years Don and I were hard core competitiors, his buisness in Mn., mine in Oh. Many, many times we were bidding on the same customers. When it came to racing at Run N Gun we were once again competitors. When it came to Carlisle I might have one car right next to one of his! This went on for years, then a funny thing happened, we started to help each other fix/repair each others cars at the track and still went head to head! (Dam I love Cobra people!)

After a while my business got so full/behind and I knew darn good and well about Don's capability's I called him to see if he would be willing to take my overflow? Time went by, I slowed down and Don then sent me some cars to build. Since then our friendship just grew, for me to think that Don would bury his head in the sand over this is just inconcievable to me!

Worst comes to worst I would think at most a certfied letter from you to Don with the same questions. If you are not satisfied then do what you think is right.

My .02 cents again.........
DV

Last edited by Double Venom; 04-04-2008 at 12:07 PM.. Reason: adding, deleting, spelling-what else?
Old 04-07-2008, 01:36 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thank you very much for this insight!!!