Club Cobra Keith Craft Motorsports  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Classic Roadsters II

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-03-2008, 08:33 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadster 427SC, 351W bored .30, Edelbrock Performer RPM Package, Tremec trans, Currie 9" rear end.
Not Ranked     
Default Fuel and diff. fluids containment

During road racing I seem to loose fluids from the vent tubes of the differential and fuel filler tube.
Differential- I have the vent tube running as high as possible with a couple of sweeps in it but I still get oil coming thru the tube and leaking all over the underside. Any suggestions on how to capture the oil and still allow the vent to work?
The fuel- I have a lemans gas cap and have used an expandable rubber tappered plug for the filler tube but the fuel comes up the vent tube and leaks out thru the gaskets onto the paint around the lemans cap. Any solutions?
Old 04-03-2008, 09:13 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

You can put a small breather tank on the diff vent. Mount it up high, possibly in the trunk.
Old 04-03-2008, 09:46 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary, FE, Tremec TKO 600
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by xlr8or View Post
You can put a small breather tank on the diff vent. Mount it up high, possibly in the trunk.
I agree - sort of a puke tank for the rear. I would be hesitant to put it in the trunk, however, as diff fluid reeks terribly, especially so when hot.
Old 04-03-2008, 09:58 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Cobray-C3, The 60's body lines on todays chassis technology
Not Ranked     

Great ideas already, mount the diff puke tank on the outside wall of the trunk to keep smell out of trunk. I have had good luck installing a canned (metal with a nipple on the in/0utlet) type fuel filter in the vent tube. Keep it as vertical as possible to promote slosh to return to tank.
Old 04-03-2008, 10:33 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: NAF 289 Slabside Early Comp Car with 289 Webers and all the goodies. Cancelling the efforts of several Priuses
Not Ranked     

Where is the vent tube attached in relation to the center section?

As you slide down the Banister of Life, may the splinters never be pointing the wrong way
Old 04-03-2008, 12:13 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Professional Cobra & Streetrod Builder
Send a message via AIM to Double Venom
Not Ranked     

All good stuff but if you can put a 4 to 6" loop in the hose going to the vertically mounted puke tank. On a CR II car it is very easy-and room for it- on the back wall of the trunk, outside of the trunk.

Fuel: with another neck? Where is the 90' overflow valve? Should, if it doesn't go by the seal on the cap should run into the overflow/vent and return to the tank.

Location of the diff vent- about an inch tall usually found on the top of the right (?) axle housing past the pumpkin. What is being forced out is the oil that is to supply the axle bearings.

You guys are driving hard.....coool!
DV
Old 04-04-2008, 05:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadster; 351W
Not Ranked     

Yup, put a loop in both of them - cheap to try. You could also put a one way check valve in the vent tube. I have a custom fuel cell from Fuel Safe in my car. The filler neck has a flapper valve and the vent has a check valve built into the cell.
Old 04-06-2008, 08:18 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadster 427SC, 351W bored .30, Edelbrock Performer RPM Package, Tremec trans, Currie 9" rear end.
Not Ranked     

DV, what is a 90' overflow valve? I purchased my CR in '99. See attached photo's of filler and vent tube.
Attached Images

Old 04-06-2008, 09:45 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Professional Cobra & Streetrod Builder
Send a message via AIM to Double Venom
Not Ranked     

dvcobra,
My mistake, your car or any car using a "LeMans" gas cap does not have an overflow tube. (The small caps do.) Theoreticaly you could drll out a hole next to the opening, and use a 1/4 pipe thread to tap in using a 90' 1/4" pipe fitting-bronze and either let the over flow run to the Ground, (EPA forgive me.) or you can run the line off the 90' and splice it high into your filler with an anti flow valve. (Only allows fule to go one way.) Your Lemans cap should have a large waser underneath the lid encased in rubber. The center of this washer is held on with an adjustable bolt that is for adjustment. Could be to tight not allowing the gasket to come down tight on the flange or base of the filler?
DV