Club Cobra Keith Craft Motorsports  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Classic Roadsters II

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-16-2008, 06:55 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: classic roadsters II, 351W with about 400 hp
Not Ranked     
Question oil cooler

If I go with the oil cooler, does anyone recommend to go with the remote oil filter as well?
Also, when you do an oil change, how do you change all the oil thats trupt in the lines and in the oil cooler itself.
Old 04-16-2008, 07:29 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance 427 Side-Oiler
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by abram99768 View Post
If I go with the oil cooler, does anyone recommend to go with the remote oil filter as well?
Also, when you do an oil change, how do you change all the oil thats trupt in the lines and in the oil cooler itself.
Beware of cooling the oil too much-especially in the NE.
Old 04-16-2008, 07:43 AM
Renegade Nuns on Wheels
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 427 roadster with 351C-4B
Not Ranked     

I like the remote filter location. The caution about over cooling is correct so use a thermostat or be able to shut off the cooler. Don't worry about the oil in the lines and cooler.

OhioCobraClub.com
LondonCobraShow.com
Old 04-16-2008, 09:44 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadster
Not Ranked     

On my engine a, fe390, there is no room between the block and frame for the oil filter making the remote location necessary. I disconnected the oil cooler and in doing so removed about 6' in plumbing lines not including the cooler itself and gained over 10psi oil pressure. I never had overheating issues and I know you want the oil to get hot. Of course I am not racing either. Just some food for thought.

John

Last edited by MaSnaka; 04-16-2008 at 09:47 AM..
Old 04-16-2008, 09:51 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Professional Cobra & Streetrod Builder
Send a message via AIM to Double Venom
Not Ranked     

abram,
getting/keeping the oil to temperature is a major problem with the guys that run coolers-most of them don't even think about it. Simply put the cooler in, lines to the cooler and just let them "dead end" out of sight. If you want all to be copesetic run them to the block and put a "T" with a threaded cap in place that goes to the feed line of the cooler. When it comes time to change the oil, take the cap off and use only about 10lbs. of air pressure to blow out the cooler, forcing all the old oil to return to the block and be drained.
Remote oil fliter location is pretty cool but certainly not necessary.

Leaving an old quart or more in the cooler is not a good thing. Will it work with an old quart? Sure it will but why even bother changing the oil if you are going to mix it with old the second you start the engine!? You don't leave an old oil filter in place do you? Well most coolers hold more oil than a filter!

DV
Hard core believer in "full" oil changes

MASNAKA, ET.AL., A great place for a remote on a CR Cobra is low between the radiator and the block. Of course you need to make brackets for it, but it works great!

Last edited by Double Venom; 04-16-2008 at 03:12 PM.. Reason: additionoal comment
Old 04-16-2008, 02:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft, supercharged Coyote
Not Ranked     

Unless you're going to run lopen track events, don't bother. When I'm not on the track, I have to keep mine covered or the oil never gets much above 150*.

I prefer to use a sandwich type thermostat, and keep the filter in the stock location. That keeps your oil connections to a minimum.

I wouldn't use anything but AN lines and fittings for any external oil conenctions.
Old 04-25-2008, 07:01 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: classic roadsters II, 351W with about 400 hp
Not Ranked     
Default clearance issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobcowan View Post
Unless you're going to run lopen track events, don't bother. When I'm not on the track, I have to keep mine covered or the oil never gets much above 150*.

I prefer to use a sandwich type thermostat, and keep the filter in the stock location. That keeps your oil connections to a minimum.

I wouldn't use anything but AN lines and fittings for any external oil conenctions.
Thanks bobcowan.
I agree with you as far as keeping less connection. Not only that, but a cleaner look. My only problem is do I have enough clearance from the engine block and the frame to fit that sandwich plate and the filter.
If you had done that in yours you will know.
I have a 351w and have just about 5.5-6 inchase of clearance.
Old 04-25-2008, 10:43 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Professional Cobra & Streetrod Builder
Send a message via AIM to Double Venom
Not Ranked     

Just so you and Et.Al., know that may not know, on a normal engine the ideal oil temp is between 200 and 220. 300 is not unheard of under heavy conditions.
DV
Old 04-27-2008, 10:49 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft, supercharged Coyote
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by abram99768 View Post
Thanks bobcowan.
I agree with you as far as keeping less connection. Not only that, but a cleaner look. My only problem is do I have enough clearance from the engine block and the frame to fit that sandwich plate and the filter.
If you had done that in yours you will know.
I have a 351w and have just about 5.5-6 inchase of clearance.
My FFR has plenty of clearance. But if it's a little tight, consider using the 90* adapter from Ford. Then you can rotate the filter around to fit where it needs to, and have plenty of room for a thermostat.