Club Cobra Gas-N Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Classic Roadsters II

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-30-2008, 06:27 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadster 351W, T5, Red & White
Not Ranked     
Default CR I Vehicle/Serial Number Location ?

DV:

On the CR I manufactured in Fargo ND, is there a manufacturers original vehicle/serial number stamped into the frame or ? The serial number showing on the CR I decal type VIN Tag next to the inside hood latch is the serial number used by the first owner when registering the vehicle.

.........thanks

Don
Old 05-30-2008, 07:18 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Professional Cobra & Streetrod Builder
Send a message via AIM to Double Venom
Not Ranked     

Don,
Simply put- NO-. If there is any number at all it will be on the side of the frame covered up by the front inner wheel wel. It is only a production number it is not the VIN, or CON number and should not be used as such. The seriel number shown on the sticker, the stick on tag is the number from CRI. Back then a 17 didit number wasn't even thought of.

If it's been registered before it should be OK, if not,your State will put their own VIN on it.
Help any?
DV
Old 05-30-2008, 09:23 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: None, sold it
Not Ranked     

Don / DV,
My Cobra is a CR LTD. The same number that is on the stick on tag is on the top of the frame above and to the rear of the right front tire. This is also the same VIN used by the California DMV to register it.

Terry
Old 05-30-2008, 09:30 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadster
Not Ranked     

Don,
My CRI tagged 1997, had a stick on metal badge about the size of a business card placed on the deck of the firewall near the steering column. I am the 3rd owner of this car and I bought it in the state of Nevada. It was fully registered and titled there, by that I mean I had a pink slip and the former owners registration card. In my attempts to get the title transferred here in Calif that badge fell off. Now my car showed no vin other than what was on my paperwork. I had CRII send me a replacement vin tag which was basically a very unofficial looking sticker that the CHP officer kinda laughed at. The CHP vin officer did issue a new number months later after I obtained an SB100 number (SB100 is unique to Calif). Like DV said your state should put their own vin tag on your car. BTW the CHP vin office riveted an official vin plate onto the inside of the driver's door jam. I'm not sure if any of this helps in your situation but I thought it was worth sharing. Hopefully you have no problems.

John
Old 05-30-2008, 09:43 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

John,
Mine has a similar sort of tag but it is from the California BAR and it is a stick on instead of a rivet on. It states that it is the engine verification identification. I does not have the engine number on it but it does have the CI, # of cylinders and smog info (PCV only).

Terry
jaydonaldson likes this.
Old 05-30-2008, 10:55 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Terry,
I would bet that someone somewhere down the line stamped this number into the frame. CR never did.
DV
Old 05-30-2008, 11:23 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

DV,
Sounds like the first builder might have done it. Maybe California made them do it to register?

Terry
Old 05-30-2008, 12:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Terry,
If it has more than 11 especially 17 numbers and digits combined you can count on it.
DV
Old 05-30-2008, 12:09 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Terry,
I do also have the Bar sticker on the firewall. No stamped numbers on the frame that I have ever found. That was a question the CHP asked and I looked hard but found nothing.

John
Old 05-30-2008, 12:16 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadster 351W, T5, Red & White
Not Ranked     

Yes.......

I should have clarified my reason for asking, curiosity. In another Thread there was a question regarding a DMV looking to authenticate the VIN . I am the 2nd owner.

The CR I decal VIN is from the 1st registration, which was the VIN from a 1966 Ford. The vehicle was registered in Wisconsin and had a state issued title, not by a title company, with the Ford VIN and 1966 model year. I had intended to register in the same way, but CT DMV inspection would not accept the Wisconsin registration method and I had to register as a Composite, CT name for kit car/replica. Model year is the year first registered in CT. The vehicle has a CT issued VIN tag affixed to the vehicle with a CT Title.

The last step in the CT registration process is the Anti-Theft unit which verifies the VIN in a national data base to check in case it was a stolen VIN.

If I was to ever purchase another pre-owned replica, I would verify the VIN in advance.
Old 05-30-2008, 02:03 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

DV,
There are 17 letter number/combos. This is the same number that is on a CR LTD stick on tag on the firewall, the number stamped on the frame and on my registration.

If California would have issued this number as the VIN then could CR LTD have given the previous owner a stick on tag with the numbers printed on it?

Maybe the stick on tag was blank and the previous owner could have printed the VIN on the tag and put it on the car themselves?

The VIN has CRDAK in it. I assumed that the CR part meant Classic Roadsters and was not sure what the DAK meant. Hay, But you know what assume sometimes means.

I asked Don once about the number on the frame and he said that the only thing that the number was used for was to be able to track the order for the customer. The number would have been kind of like the work order number.

DV, do you know approxametly how many Cobras CR LTD made?

Terry

Last edited by tcrist; 05-30-2008 at 02:08 PM..
Old 05-30-2008, 02:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CRII 351W/408 Stroker
Send a message via AIM to capteddie
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcrist View Post
DV,
There are 17 letter number/combos. This is the same number that is on a CR LTD stick on tag on the firewall, the number stamped on the frame and on my registration.

If California would have issued this number as the VIN then could CR LTD have given the previous owner a stick on tag with the numbers printed on it?

Maybe the stick on tag was blank and the previous owner could have printed the VIN on the tag and put it on the car themselves?

The VIN has CRDAK in it. I assumed that the CR part meant Classic Roadsters and was not sure what the DAK meant. Hay, But you know what assume sometimes means.

I asked Don once about the number on the frame and he said that the only thing that the number was used for was to be able to track the order for the customer. The number would have been kind of like the work order number.

DV, do you know approxametly how many Cobras CR LTD made?

Terry
The the original CR1 was in N. Dakota, so the DAK could be short for that.

my $0.03 (inflation adjusted)

Ed

Last edited by capteddie; 05-30-2008 at 05:01 PM.. Reason: spelin...
Old 05-30-2008, 02:21 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Got this off of an old thread when someone saw a CR on a car lot that was for sale back in 2005. I guess that they could use the VIN for tracking in their shop as well as an issued VIN. Maybe only part of the VIN is for tracking the order thru CR.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dscott View Post
Check out the title before you do anything. If it's registered as a 1965 it probably came from titles unlimited. That VIN # is not one of ours. We issue a 17 digit VIN #. If it is titled as a 1965 don't let the dealer tell you he can get it registered because he can't. We just had someone else on this site go through the same thing and he returned the car to the dealer. The car is for sale but it states it can't be sold in CA. Check with motor vehicle before anything else. Bring them a copy of the title and tell them it's a replica.
Don
Old 05-30-2008, 05:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CRII 351W/408 Stroker
Send a message via AIM to capteddie
Not Ranked     
Talking

Ok. This is pretty good timing and it also will help me stop waking up in the middle of the night with cold sweats. Because up until today I never received my C of O from Don at CRII when I picked my kit up about a year ago.

First... THANK YOU DON!!!!!

Second... note the use of a VIN # (I know this is from CRII and not CRI but I thought it would help)

Ed

Last edited by capteddie; 05-30-2008 at 05:33 PM..
Old 05-30-2008, 05:53 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadsters II
Not Ranked     

At least Don put the year as a 1966 Replica. On mine he put 2006 for the year. Now I have to pay taxes on the purchase price. Plus I can't get collector plates. Thanks Don.
But I guess it's better than no MSO.

Last edited by JAC; 05-30-2008 at 05:55 PM..
Old 05-30-2008, 06:12 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Legally it is titled as the YEAR THE KIT WAS MADE. Notice it says 1966 replica-title 2000?
Done by law- case over.
DV
Old 05-30-2008, 06:20 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadsters II
Not Ranked     

Shipping weight? Title 2000 for a 2007
kit? Legal?

Last edited by JAC; 05-30-2008 at 06:28 PM..
Old 06-03-2008, 02:10 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Maybe that shipping weight is 2000 lbs. not the year. It has that same number under GVWR. which is gross vehicle weight isn't it?

John
Old 06-03-2008, 04:27 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

JAC, the vehicle was made in 2000, sold in 2007. No shipping weight as it is not weighed, (by most States) until it truly becomnes a car and has gross weight.

DV
P.S. Shipping weight for the body alone-stripped of doors, hood and trunk, will come in plus/minus 220lbs. and is used only in the pricing for the shippers.

Last edited by Double Venom; 06-04-2008 at 02:46 AM..
Old 06-03-2008, 05:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CRII
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by capteddie View Post
Ok. This is pretty good timing and it also will help me stop waking up in the middle of the night with cold sweats. Because up until today I never received my C of O from Don at CRII when I picked my kit up about a year ago.

First... THANK YOU DON!!!!!

Second... note the use of a VIN # (I know this is from CRII and not CRI but I thought it would help)

Ed
Hey Ed my CRII is from Don , my cobra is listed as a 1967 replica and yours is a 1966
my title is two months older ,did they change anything?