Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   Classic Roadsters II (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/classic-roadsters-ii/)
-   -   Desperately need help (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/classic-roadsters-ii/95622-desperately-need-help.html)

gggoad 03-19-2009 02:02 PM

Desperately need help

I purchased, yesterday, a cobra kit car. I was unable to find anything to identify who manufactured this car. After some phone calls i discovered a company called Classic Roadsters was the only one to use a latch in the middle of the hood. Apparently this is a 1st generation kit from Classic Roadsters. Now it seems this company may not even exist anymore! Could anyone shed some light on this company, and what recourse I may have to purchase parts? Any way to determine with certainty that it was manufactured by Classic Roadster? Appreciate any feedback!

bobcowan 03-19-2009 02:46 PM

The shape of the doors is a dead give away. Every other kit on the market has a differant shape. The Classic Roadster car has a stretched wheel base. The extra room is in the cockpit, so the doors need to be bigger.

The company is going under. Fortunatly, many of the parts you need can be sourced from your local Autozone.

Did you get a build manual?

ZOERA-SC7XX 03-19-2009 02:54 PM

Not the best way to join the Cobra community. What you probably saved in cash you will spend with blood, sweat and tears. All is not lost, however, as there are many experienced Cobra people here. You should be patient, and maybe the CR contingent will pipe in. They often have spirited diatribe. Good luck.

727pilot@usa.co 03-19-2009 03:24 PM

How old is your kit? If it has the center hood latch it may date back to the 90's. We have one that was made in 1992.

Be prepared to do some engineering but when you are done you will have one very nice Cobra Replica. The body on that kit is quite a bit heavier than anyone else on the market makes. Not a good deal if you are going to be on the track but for everything else it is great.

What part of the world are you in? Did you get a build manual? do you have all of the body parts?

RedBarchetta 03-19-2009 03:35 PM

Darn it's not April 1st yet...can't point the finger to someone already on this site. ;)

tcrist 03-19-2009 03:46 PM

The doors are the same basic shape on the CR as Emerson motorsports. DV is the best to ask any questions but others will chime in also. Including me. Post some pictures of your Cobra. You can also check out my gallery for some pictures to compare yours to to be sure that it is a CR. You can get parts just about anywhere but be sure to ask DV for some direct information before purchasing parts. Welcome to CC.

Terry

Double Venom 03-19-2009 04:18 PM

MSO-MSO-MSO-MSO!
DV
PS, If you have an early 90's kit you "probably" have a complete kit! Did I mention an MSO!?
Pss. I know of no present or past kit that uses a center-under hood latch other than a CR's

Jcmrant 03-19-2009 05:47 PM

I hope you already have an MSO. I've been trying to get one from CR for a while with no luck.

Double Venom 03-21-2009 07:52 AM

ggg,

We're waiting???? There is no doubt in my mind that you have a CR cobra- doors mean little (but often they are a much wanted version) wheel base is also not particular, however the center hood latch (among other things) is exclusive to CR's. Being what some people are calling a phase or series "1" CR cobra is NOT bad as the CR's have remained relativerly the same for 25 plus years. Upgrades in suspension, brakes are the two biggest upgrades and now(for what good that means) is the dropped floor pan making the CR even more of a desireable kit.

The biggest question is did you get and MSO- (Manufacturers Statemint of Origin) a title looking piece of paper when you bought it?

If you do have it and a complete "kit" I think you have found what is becoming a rare bird and for the people in the know are already lining up to see what you do with it! But, the MSO is critical, or as I have said many times before "if not you have a very neat and awesome flower planter!"
DV

jersey427owner 03-24-2009 06:09 AM

Everyone is assuming gggodad has purchase an unfinished kit but maybe he has a completed and titled car and just needs assurance that he can get parts when needed.
Unless he has collision damage to the body the answer is of course, yes, about the only thing not currently replaceable would be the body and frame, right?

mrmustang 03-24-2009 06:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gggoad (Post 931718)
I purchased, yesterday, a cobra kit car. I was unable to find anything to identify who manufactured this car. After some phone calls i discovered a company called Classic Roadsters was the only one to use a latch in the middle of the hood. Apparently this is a 1st generation kit from Classic Roadsters. Now it seems this company may not even exist anymore! Could anyone shed some light on this company, and what recourse I may have to purchase parts? Any way to determine with certainty that it was manufactured by Classic Roadster? Appreciate any feedback!

First thing you want to do is fill in your profile, let people here know where you are geographically speaking (besides that you are in the state of Oklahoma) so if someone is close they may be able to lend you some assistance.

Second, post some pictures of what you have, give a side shot, shots of the engine compartment, firewall, hood, door openings, trunk and dash area so that we can attempt to identify what you actually have on your hands.

By the way, welcome to the madness..........

Bill S.

Double Venom 03-24-2009 06:17 AM

Wayne,
The answwer to that question is an unequivical ????? Not likely, but.....
My thoughts at this point is "ggg---" was fishing and "we" were the bait!?
ggg, many reasons for not reporting back to the web after a making your first post and a new Cobra owner to boot....is well allow me to say suspicious at the least? My sincere apology's if I am wrong!
DV

trularin 03-24-2009 06:18 AM

Don't panic.

This site has more than enough information to get you through just about anything with that car.

Just ask...and do as Bill says and post some PICs!!!

:D :D

Morning Ed. :D

Double Venom 03-24-2009 09:36 AM

AND
G'mornin' to you Sir! :D
DV

MaSnaka 03-24-2009 09:09 PM

Maybe he was just about to drown and wanted his questions answered before his last breath. He did say "desperately need help" I know... being a smart a$$ doesn't help anyone, sorry.

John

trularin 03-25-2009 04:39 AM

I don't think you were being a smart a$$ John.

The bloke only has one post. If he takes any advice it will be something along the lines of what Bill said.

So you could be right.

gggoad 04-10-2009 07:43 AM

Wow! For some reason i never recieved an email other than for the first reply! I was surprised that I was not getting any response! Thats what I get for being to damn lazy to check the thread! THANK YOU for the replies. I will post some pics this weekend. I have been focused on getting the car to drive right - doesnt seem to be an easy task! I got the front end aligned, now the shocks are dead and the car obviously has incorrect springs on it (220/140)

Any recommendation on coil springs for this car. I was told 325 front and 150 back by the chassis shop. Sound right?

I bought this car from a friend of my brothers and he has not located the title yet, I should have it next week - which may help with the mystery of this car.

I do appreciate you guys chiming in as I know little on the subject of these replicas.

By the way, I am in Meeker, OK. My brother and I operate a business called Dirt Road Customs - we build Pro-Touring type early muscle cars (more of a hobby than a business really), specializing in turbo LS drivetrains.

trularin 04-10-2009 07:56 AM

This advice might help make this a bit easier.

Take each thing one step at a time. Get advice. Think about it and then act.

gggoad 04-10-2009 08:19 AM

I forgot that I had a couple of pics on my iPhone. They are not the most detailed. I could not upload them here so I put them on photobucket. http://s276.photobucket.com/albums/kk5/gggoad/Cobra/

gggoad 04-10-2009 08:27 AM

DV, I noticed on another thread that you stated ALL CR kits were 94" wheel base. I believe my car (which we were pretty certain is a CR), is 90"?? Does this mean it is NOT a CR?