Club Cobra Keith Craft Motorsports  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Classic Roadsters II

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-10-2010, 05:26 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: classic roadesters ltd, 302, T5
Not Ranked     

got some pics coming soon, and for sure will get pics of the car at autorama.

today had a little set back, found out I hooked up the lines to the power steering rack backwards, it did this funny shakey thing. but after about an hour got it straightened out.

glue is setting on glove box door now, will install it in a few.

pics will be posted prior to bed tonite.
Old 02-10-2010, 05:31 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadster, 302, roller cam, Holley 650
Not Ranked     

Great. I'll have something to look at tomorrow besides large mounds of white snow where my driveway used to be.
Old 02-10-2010, 05:35 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CRII
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hray View Post
update; 783 hours; 77 days down, 13 to go:

The side pipes looked real good this morning, was sort of wondering since I painted them standing on my head and in a somewhat dim lite room.

A good day today I think, bumpers are on, side emblems on, rear view fender mirrors on, motor and firewall area got detailed again. carpet is in the trunk, rest of the insulation is on in the cockpit, some carpet is glued down. the sign for autorama is ordered. the temp guage is at repair shop getting fixed.

Tomorrow should be rest of carpet installed, doors, hood and trunk reinstalled, and all the lights installed.

Just maybe we will be 99% done on Sunday, about 10 days early. Of course we will be checking and rechecking, and retouching stuff until set up day. but just maybe the long hours and days are behind us.

My wife does not think the hood badge goes with the rest of the car, guess i have to somewhat agree. but I aint gonna paint it.

Here is latest pix.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4048/...cefe3ac1_b.jpg
I put that one on my lawn mower, and got one at finish line for $15
Old 02-10-2010, 10:38 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Update: 83 days down, 7 days till we load it in the trailer.

Gonna back track some, someone wanted pixs of steering column, so here they are. first a little bit of explanation. I started with a complete 67 mustang column and a complete chevette column, I cut them both in half both the shafts and the column itself. The stang shaft slide inside the chevette shaft just perfect, we slid in inside about 12 inches so it would stay straight. we welded them together. we then took the bottom half of the chevette column and welded it to the top half of the stang column. we then fit a grant steering wheel to the top half.

here you can see the shaft and the column prior to assembly
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2789/...91a37aab_b.jpg

here is a picture of the hood prop ratchet assembly from the 69 corvette

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4048/...5d43eccf_b.jpg

here is the column installed in the car.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2779/...c6174a63_b.jpg

here is what the under side of hood looks like open and on the car

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2768/...67408e10_b.jpg

here is shot of CRL badge on side. question was there a classic roadesters, then CR limited, then CRII or only the two.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4017/...15fe0ddf_b.jpg

Here is the roll bar installed, I forgot to take close up pix of the model A windshield rubber gasket up close, maybe you can see it. I thinks it look great protects the body from vibrations

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4065/...d1757808_b.jpg

here is trunk opened, we ran out of black texture paint for trunk, will finish tomorrow and install trunk carpet.
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4017/...e16da3e5_b.jpg

here is pic of rear tire, sidepipes, and roll bar, I like the silver on all three, I feel it follows theme, the chrome on outer rim ties in with mirrors and windshield frame.
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2767/...d525fb97_b.jpg

side profile shot, I think I need to clean the camera lens,
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2718/...d868721e_b.jpg

Last edited by Hray; 02-10-2010 at 10:44 PM..
Old 02-11-2010, 04:56 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

You are almost there. Great pics, great car. I wish you all the luck at the
Autorama. Thanks for including us in your build. I think a lot of us lived vicariously through you. I hope you have a cold brew when this is all over. It will help ease the back aches, cuts, etc. Hopefully, you will have some shots out in the sun. That car will really "shine".

Jim
Old 02-11-2010, 05:28 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Midstates (2001)
Not Ranked     

Ray........trouphy or not in our eyes you have a winner.......its FANTASTIC.
Old 02-11-2010, 06:16 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA, 1964 289->Webers
Not Ranked     

Damn close! I like the Roll bar!
Old 02-11-2010, 09:31 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

update: thursday nite: 84 days down, 6 days to setup day.

Craig polished the car again twice, once with the polish, and then with final glazing. it is looking good, we got trunk painted, installed license plate lite and holder, I went over entire car checking torque on all bolts. then installed a few more wire holders to wires will stay nice and neat under the car. then I touched up most all the paint on underside.

My last crew member finally showed up, actually she has been out to help a few other times but I did not have the camera. jillian my 11 year old granddaughter came out to help for a few hours. I put her in trunk to make last adjustment to deck lid and secure the bolts. then she spent some quality time getting to know my wheel buffing machine.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4011/...ed3ce2ba_b.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2778/...26d4cc12_b.jpg

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4027/...e7b67aed_b.jpg

I then got all the tires on the car and took it off the jack stands, first time sitting on ground with the correct tires and as a complete car.

it seems to be sitting about an inch too low in rear as compared to the front. I think the screws jacks will take care of that and still have plenty of tire under the wheel well.

We managed to get almost the entire punch list gone thru. Tomorrow should be last day on the car except installing the review mirror when it arrives.

Just maybe the sun will shine tomorrow and we can get an outside pix.
Old 02-12-2010, 05:32 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Where'd ya find that antique wheel buffing stand?
Old 02-12-2010, 09:29 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hyde; as you may be able to tell, I throw nothing away, last year my wife got new dining room set, nothing wrong with old one, just only sat 12 people, she wanted to seat 16 to 20. so we now have the lords table in our dining room.

I kept most of the chairs for my shop rather than get 10 bucks each. they are great assistants, and when I get visitors they can sit and have a beer in comfort, "once we get the dirt and grease wiped off'.

there has been a minimum of four hours on each wheel, the wheels are about 15 or more years old, even though not used the elements got to them, had to do some considerable sanding to get the pits out, needless to say scratches from being thrown around over the years by other owners.

But, I do have to say that all the parts for the car have faired well, considering they have been stored for almost 20 years, and no one really knows how many different owners had them. I know of at least three different people that owned this car.

Hey everybody thanks for taking the journey with me on this build, it ain't over yet. Ray
Old 02-12-2010, 02:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

The trip is definitely not over. I still want to see pics of this beauty in the sun. Now that you are down to putting on the rear view mirror you will have plenty of time to shoot the pics. Also when you get the car staged at Autorama there will be time for more pics with your trophy.

Jim
Old 02-12-2010, 07:01 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Yeah...........what James said........
Old 02-12-2010, 08:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Yeh guys it aint over,

85 days down, 5 days till load it in the trailer time.

she wanted to dance again today, we got it out in the sun and stood back to check things out, the front end was just way too high. we watched closely and when on jack and the letting front end down it only came down about an inch. and no suspension at all, way too stiff. so what to do. we can not take it to autorama looking like a 4 by 4 jeep. do we cut the springs to lower it just for now and then deal with it later or what.

I called american mustangs for leads on springs, then called american pastimes. Ron had springs from 275 spring rate up to 375 in stock, 99$ a pair take your pick for rates.

This was at 1pm our time. I jumped in car and drove up to get a set of 275 pound rate. Got home and then began to tear down front suspension, The spring I took out was huge in the wire diamater most like half inch and it had 7.5 coils in it. the new spring was a size down in wire diameter and had 9.5 coils in it and was inch and half taller. I am guessing some already cut the one down that I had.

I installed the new springs, sat the car back on ground with wheels installed, still about 4 inches of wheel well showing. took them back off and sawed off one complete coil. Reinstalled and this brought the wheel well opening about 1.5 inches above the tire. I know these springs will settle some over time so I can live with this, Actually, if it doesn't settle I can live with it just fine. With car on ground and without shock installed we get several inches of travel up and down, I do not think too much, I reinstalled shocks and got about half the easy travel. I will run with these shocks for now, but will most likely get some adjustable shocks this way I can soften them up for long rides and if I want I can adjust them down for mountains or a road course.

now the car is sitting nearly level if anything the rear is just barely higher than the front.

so maybe sunshine tomorrow and I can get some outside pictures. but now I also gotta repaint some of the suspension from all this redo.

O well, mama said there would be days like this.

and you certainly can count on photos of the setup at autorama. I will post them next thursday nite as the show opens at noon on friday. so far we did not have any disappointments in the sun.

you know if the car had a straight axle in front for drag racing it would have had the correct stance from back in the day.

Last edited by Hray; 02-12-2010 at 08:57 PM..
Old 02-13-2010, 05:01 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Ray, The stance is/was always a big part of how "agressive" the car looks. It sounds like you have whipped the big problem. Is it Miller time?

Jim
Old 02-13-2010, 07:25 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

come on Ray your killing us here........post a couple of pics. of it sitting in the sun....please.........
Old 02-13-2010, 10:40 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Ray got his car on the road & we never heard from him again...
Old 02-13-2010, 11:07 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Photos outside; the camera does not do the car justice in the sun. Just maybe the silver metalic in the red reflects too much in sun, in a few shots where there is not direct sun you get a truer idea.

this color changes lots in sun, or shade, or under lights, it looks quite different in each setting.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/belair5...th/4354346646/

not sure the other link was working try this one then the group is feb 13 outside pics

http://www.flickr.com/photos/belair567/
no trees with leaves now for a shade shot,
well better stop playing and get back to work.

Last edited by Hray; 02-13-2010 at 11:14 AM..
Old 02-13-2010, 01:43 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Ray.........

thats one fine looking Cobra...........

what about the other car ?????
are you ready to start on it yet ?????
are you open for suggestions ?????
Old 02-13-2010, 02:05 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Looks great Ray!
Old 02-13-2010, 04:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Nice Ray. If you ever find yourself in Wilmington, DE I would be glad to put you up for 3 days. You could probably fix all my little niggles.

Jim