Club Cobra Gas - N Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Classic Roadsters II

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-07-2009, 10:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: classic roadesters ltd, 302, T5
Not Ranked     

update:

Went to West Sacramento's Commercial Speedometer shop yesterday, they had a new gear for the speedo to trans, but had no C clamp for it. One of the guys went into the back and found me a nice used one with clamp on it. gave it to me for free. Got home installed it and at idle in 5 gear on jack stands does 30 mph.

let it down and attempted first test drive on the atv quad dirt track out back of the house. Only made it about 100 feet and heard grinding noise up front, turned back to shop, saw the little rim was rubbing on upper a -arm. Plus the car was dying every time you gassed it and then let off the gas. Played with it for a few minutes and then it was dark. Pushed it into the shop. Chatted with friend and we decided the carb was having a problem. Then I also remembered not having at the time the spread bore base plate and instead used a holly type plate. Decided to remove carb and take it apart and clean it anyway. Found the right plate, and since it was 11;30 last nite when I finished could not test fire. Neighbors might not appreciate it.

This morning I fired it and it seemed to be just fine. Also installed a spacer on the rim so it cleared. Drove it about a mile this evening around and around the quad track. No brakes yet so took it easy.

Pulled into shop and decided to check all the brakes and bleed the lines. Got that all done and now ready for perhaps a test drive on the black top.

I will share my previous ignorance on brakes and bleeding them. Being from the old school I have always had my wife or friend do the pump, hold, pump, hold thing. Then about 6 months ago I was attempting to bleed the clutch on a honda motorcycle. Was informed that the only way to bleed it was with a vacuum tool. I found one for 20$ at kragen. It is so much fun I now go around just trying to find someone's brakes to bleed.

In case someone else has not come across this little invention here is a picture. You do "almost always" have to remove the bleeder screw and wrap with teflon tape and reinsert. it will suck air around the bleeder screw.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3455/...d1e484f5_b.jpg

10 more hours logged for the two days. spent $10.00 for vacuum brake check valve and fitting for intake manifold.

I will next hook up the alternator, this way while driving the fan will not drain the battery. Question: Does ford make a one wire alternator, or only GM. if Ford does are they any good. I have been using gm one wire;s for years on almost everything. I prefit a junk gm and it will work without any changing of brackets.

later. and hey if any of you guys have unfinished cars, lets get back to work and get;em done for next spring. Ray
Old 10-08-2009, 01:02 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadster II
Not Ranked     

Ray,
You've made a lot of progress since last week. We have found allt he parts for our fuel injection system and are starting to make some progress.
Kenton
Old 10-08-2009, 08:02 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Midstates (2001)
Not Ranked     

Ray you should call Ron or Big Tom at American Pastimes they can hook you up with a one wire alternator for a ford there number is1-800-397-9462 they are on fair oaks just east of the motor cycle shop on top of the hill.
Old 10-08-2009, 09:13 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Krewton: good news, was wondering how it came out, again thanks for ride to Redding. Keep us posted.

Bob: Pastimes was my next call, by the way Tom quit and went to work for the new SoCal Speed shop that opened here in Sac. I will ask Ron about the quality of the ford one wire. But on second thought I think I am going to go with a gm three wire. My research seems to say that the one wire will always have a drain on the battery, and the advantage of three wire is that if it breaks then any gm alternator from any parts store will be a quick easy replacement. And since I am not going show the basic finish of the stock one will fit with the theme nicely.

I am now calling around to see how much ceramic coating costs for exhaust system.
later, gotta go work on rental house. Ray
Old 10-08-2009, 01:53 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
I will next hook up the alternator, this way while driving the fan will not drain the battery. Question: Does ford make a one wire alternator, or only GM. if Ford does are they any good. I have been using gm one wire;s for years on almost everything. I prefit a junk gm and it will work without any changing of brackets.
You can get this little gizmo for abut 30 bucks or less and add it to any old style Ford alternator and "viola", you now have a Ford one-wire alternator.....Your local parts place probably will not stock them, mine doesn't but they get them in a day or two when i need one.....

Have one on my 65 Fastback, been on it for over 10 years now,no problems, have another on my 65 Coupe race car, been on that car for 4 or 5 years now, no problems..........
Have done at least 6 for friends, takes all of 2 minutes to install if that.......

http://195.125.241.148/cgi-win/Product.exe?F7078

David
Old 10-09-2009, 10:38 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

David: Thanks for heads up on that gizmo, might be an improvement for my 66 stang GT convert. I went ahead and wired up this old gm alternator since I had it laying around.

Not much of update, the rental house redo is taking most all my time for now. got two hours on the car yesterday. tonite i cleaned shop and storage room to make room for motor and trans and stuff to come off the chassis. Hopefully Sunday the motor will come out, providing I get to put at least 10 miles on the car.

Trying to think of chassis upgrades now. I am pretty much ok with the frame and suspension setup. However, just in case I wanted to convert to coil over shocks later I was wondering just how I should upgrade the shock tower. the bottom looks heavy enough to handle it or it would be easy enough to put an extra gusset on axle. But I was thinking of adding a quarter inch plate in a couple of places at the upper shock mount. I thought it would be easier to do now rather than later with the body on and then deciding to upgrade. Here is a picture below, I was thinking of adding a quarter inch plate along side the plate where the top shock bolt goes thru the frame. then adding another plate that would go just between the bolt and the frame rail then go forward to meet the other plate. Please provide pictures or feed back.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2659/...d3bf4217_b.jpg

I also am thinking of getting that larger shock stud gizmo that bolts to the car and then you just take the nut off and leave the stud on the car. i that would be better than this bolt thing I have. Any one know that part number, I am pretty sure pastimes will have it in stock.

I did get a quote for ceramic coating for the headers and exhaust, looks like 500.00 will do it, and I think a wise choice. I just have not found any paint that holds up.

Later Ray
Old 10-09-2009, 10:45 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CRII with a Stroked Windsor
Not Ranked     

Ray

I have coilovers on the front and back with the stock frame, no extra steel. It works well. Although Pete did send me some some specially made spacers to make my life easier.

Where did you get a quote for ceramic coating at? I found a place south of us to do them for 300 but I have been too lazy to ship them and would prefer to find a closer shop.

Also I may have some new suspension parts for the rear out in my shed if you want them I can go look. they were a second set of the lower arms for the rear. Not sure how I got two sets but Don told me to hold on to them.
Old 10-10-2009, 01:12 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Ray,

I changed out the set that came with my car (which was already upgraded).
http://picasaweb.google.com/levingsk...97218015400418
They are brand new (springs and shocks), let me know.

This is what I'm changing to. http://picasaweb.google.com/levingsk...81139448114002

Kenton
Old 10-10-2009, 04:23 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Professional Cobra & Streetrod Builder
Send a message via AIM to Double Venom
Not Ranked     

Krewton,
Took the liberty of looking at your full Cobra album. Very nice fella. How about a little info on your motor? T-5 or 6 tranny?
DV
Old 10-10-2009, 07:29 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

DV,
Thank. I finally figured out how to put pictures on here. I'm running a T-5 tranny. The engine is a 4.6L DOHC, which is a 281 ford modular. It has an teksid aluminum block. Its been board .030. Yesterday we started putting a 2001 cobra fuel injection system on with a modified throttle botty and mass airflow. http://picasaweb.google.com/levingsk...79401905795554 If everything goes as planned, should be producing about 500HP.

We have been making some major chassy modifications to make the car fit me better (I'm 6'5) You can see the drop floor and foot pans. Yesterday we also started building a new firewall. http://picasaweb.google.com/levingsk...79466086663378 The modifications to the pans, footboxes, and firewall have made the car very comfortable. Once we have all of that finished and then get our rollbar mounts made, its going back to the powdercoat, and we can finally start making some major progress.

Krewton

Last edited by Krewton; 10-10-2009 at 08:02 AM..
Old 10-10-2009, 07:42 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

DV,
Also selling the pipes, front springs and shocks, and rear willwood brake, rotor, and caliper, as well as some crazy nice wheels (just not good for a 64 Cobra) you see in the pictures. All are brand new. Let me know if you know anyone needing that.

Wilwood 14" ultralites http://picasaweb.google.com/levingsk...80352382837394

QA1 Front shocks and coils http://picasaweb.google.com/levingsk...80404662410274

Pipes http://picasaweb.google.com/levingsk...80430795207954

20" Foose Ascott Wheels http://picasaweb.google.com/levingsk...82075607690386
http://picasaweb.google.com/levingsk...82095868444818

Also have a new large style Lamans gascap.

I'm finding the most expensive part of building a car is changing your mind.

Krewton

Last edited by Krewton; 10-10-2009 at 07:47 AM..
Old 10-10-2009, 02:56 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadster
Not Ranked     

Hey Krewton,

Can you post a close up picture of the steering shaft hiem joint? The way it mounts to the frame and or any frame mods you have made. I see it in one of your pics but the details are not clear.

Thanks, John
Old 10-10-2009, 06:51 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Kenton: I will take the shocks,

Onefastmustang: I called three of the advertisers in the cruisen news paper, TNT in eldorado hills hit me with the best price, says he does inside and outside of headers, and then outsides of side pipes. This if for satin silver, says to get the polished silver it is another couple hundred. I got other estimates that were fronm 550.00 to 700.00 for satin finish. Hey just maybe if we get together and take him two sets we can save 50 each. let me know what you want and we will see about it. I am not in a hurry, but would want them done by first week of december.

Car Update: Drove the car for almost 10 miles today, no problems, only got it to about 50mph once. Mostly just going thru the gears and testing the brakes. I will take it for a few more runs tomorrow, then into the shop for disassembly. I did break the tires loose a couple times in first and second.

I will try to catch a video of it tomorrow.

later Ray
Old 10-10-2009, 07:13 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CRII with a Stroked Windsor
Not Ranked     

Hmmm... I got a quote for Chromex for 330 plus the shipping. Thats the one that looks like chrome. I just didn't feel much like driving them down to Bakersfield. I will have to ponder it.
Old 10-10-2009, 09:35 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I think perfect it on sunrise gave me a quote for chromex at just above 500.00. what we could do is you take both sets to Bakersfield, and I could go pick them up, if that seems to be the best quality and price. I think I have a contact down there that could drop by this guys shop and let us know how legit he is.

Ray
Old 10-13-2009, 10:54 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

John,
Here are some pictures of the steering column.
http://picasaweb.google.com/levingsk...28074259435858
There are several shots on here. Hope that helps.
Krewton
Old 10-13-2009, 01:49 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadster
Not Ranked     

Thanks Krewton. Nice looking car your working on there.

John
Old 10-13-2009, 07:57 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Short Calif update: We have just survived the first big storm of the winter, spent about 20 hours moving stuff around to get ready for it and to make room for disassembly.

Ceramic coatings versus chromex coatings, does anyone know the real difference. I stopped and chatted with they guy from Perfect It coatings today and I do not think he actually knows what chromex coating is. I did find on the caswell website the liquid chromex coating that is baked on. but so far do know the difference in the two.

Next, my neighbor and I are thinking of building our own oven for baking these powder, ceramic and liquid products. Has anyone here done such a thing and if so please share. The Eastwood website seems to have tons of discussion groups regarding this home made and baked process. Will keep you posted.

Ray
Old 10-14-2009, 11:47 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Midstates (2001)
Not Ranked     

Ray we got our first snow on the 10th (4 inches) so i think winter has come early. Building a big oven shouldnt be that hard its the heating the thing that would be the challenge and maintaining that heat for a period of time, dont some of the temps need to be in the 500 degree range? that would take a lot of power to run something like that. Didnt SMUD close Rancho Seco........
Old 10-19-2009, 09:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

short update since a couple folks inquired,

we worked two days on building the homemade oven for baking powder coating. we are building a 30inch, by 24 inch and 6 foot tall oven. will post pictures of it later, ordered the starter kit from eastwood and the powder and gun should be here by end of week.

I am in Michigan for next four days and will post pictures of oven most likely next saturday. Right now doing research on how to powder coat. I should be able to ceramic coat the exhaust, and all the accessories under the hood for less than the 500.00 cost just for exhaust. again built from almost 100 percent scrap metal around the house.

Hey, DV thanks for that invite but it seems to be a long drive from ann arbor to your house and I only have tuesday available to be a tourist.

Ray