Club Cobra Keith Craft Racing  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Classic Roadsters II

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-19-2009, 09:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CRII with a Stroked Windsor
Not Ranked     

Ray

Powder Coating is easy.. I have done a lot of it. I have access to a 15' oven too if you ever need to powdercoat something really big... I have a couple of smaller ovens at home. I can cook up to a motorcycle frame.
Old 10-20-2009, 03:06 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Professional Cobra & Streetrod Builder
Send a message via AIM to Double Venom
Not Ranked     

hray,

4 1/2 hours from Ann Arbor. Kind of a long haul in a day. But....
DV
Old 10-20-2009, 07:52 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: classic roadesters ltd, 302, T5
Not Ranked     

Onefastmustang:

Good to hear I got an expert close by. So am I to understand that for the exhaust system I want to use a ceramic coating, not just a powder coating.

and for the ceramic coating I just use my regular HVLP paint gun or touch up gun. I think I am going to go with the satin finish on the exhaust, and hopefully find the same color for the roll bars, and then use the same satin silver on the motor accessories and a-arms. From the color charts it is hard to know exactly what the finished product will look like. Do you have any suggestions on the specific product color or brand. I want somthing that is nearly the same color as non polished aluminum similar to the cobra by ford valve covers, and the factory finish on edlebrock intake again non polished. Maybe I want aluminum color and not silver. Will check for that color with the suppliers.

Any reason why I should not do my own exhaust system, we decided on the size of the oven to fit the side pipes.

Ray
Old 10-20-2009, 09:08 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadster
Not Ranked     

HRAY,
You may be able to get an actual color sample from the supplier. I know you can from certain paint (house paint) companies. That would atleast give you a better idea than those photographic samples do.

There is a local shop here and on their website they have a lot of DIY info for the heat coatings. The owner's name is Alan, a real nice guy to talk to. Might be worth looking
at.

www.xtremeperformanceheatcoatings.com

John
Old 11-10-2009, 10:12 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Dear Diary: hard to believe it has been over three weeks since I chatted with you. I have good news, and bad news. You want the good news first?. OK, The good news is that I have not spent any money on the cobra in the last three weeks> Now for the bad news, I have not spent any money on the cobra over the last three weeks. That means I have not been able to even work on it. But, I did want to. But as my mom says, "you are old enought that your wants should not hurt you".

But other good news is that tonite I managed to get into the shop and fire up the new powder coating oven. Got it to 500 in about 20 minutes, then it slowly climbed to 650, that seems to be the max at this time. Maybe if i line it with cement backer board it will prevent the stainless steel from collecting so much of the heat. But, 500 and less will do everything except the final curing of ceramic coating for the headers and side pipes.

The rental house is almost done, then I can get back to work on cobra.

Some good news is also we purchased yesterday three pieces of welding equipment, a plasma cutter, a mig welder with spool gun, and a tig welder. Wont help much with the cobra build but will be nice for other stuff. Sure could have used it to build the oven.

So, with the three week delay I am still thinking I can get this done by autorama feb 19, 2010. Found out it takes place two weeks later this year so that gives me more time.

I will take pictures of oven just in case anyone else wants to build one.

Tomorrow I should be able to resume the cobra build. Seems like a long time ago since I was even able to think about it. Nice chating and should be making some progress real soon.

Ray
Old 11-11-2009, 04:45 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadster, 302, roller cam, Holley 650
Not Ranked     

Ray, Nice to hear you back on the air. It's amazing how other things can get in the way of the important things.
Old 11-11-2009, 06:29 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA, 1964 289->Webers
Not Ranked     

Too much to do, not enough time. The story of my life. I was wondering what happened to Hray
Old 11-11-2009, 07:03 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Ahhh, every guy should have a Mig, Tig, and a plasma cutter! Especially working on these cars .....
I've got to get a TIG and learn how!

Jim (S) really hit it on the head! Honey D0's, errands, regular work, Bah - Humbug!
DV
Old 11-11-2009, 08:06 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Midstates (2001)
Not Ranked     

Nice to hear from you Ray i thought we lost you there.
how many turkeys can you get in that new over.......Thanksgiving dinner at your place this year???????
Old 11-13-2009, 09:13 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Update; Spent money today on cobra, that is good, I was having problems with the carb I had on the car, it was being crazy at idle. Couple weeks ago I came across this holley that has the dual gas lines going into it, it looked fairly new, not sure where I got it at but pulled it out of hiding and laid in on back of cobra. this morning I went a bought the duel fuel line to try it out. cost $20.00 from kragen. installed it this evening and it seems to be better. tomorrow or sunday I will take it for a test drive again, before tearing it apart. Plus I thought the dual line holley would seem to be more period correct for the car not that i am attempting to be in anyway authentic.

Here is the holley carb, I said no chrome under the hood, they only had this in chrome, so unless we powder coat it, I may leave it.
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2730/...47c520d2_b.jpg

spent most of the evening cleaning shop again, I swear that little gremlins attack that place every nite after I quit and mess it up totally, one of these nites I am gonna just sit and wait with my shot gun with the lights out and take care of them once and for all.

Below is a pix of the oven we built. we could get at least three blocks, or 6 turkeys, or a rear=end, but mainly want to get the headers and side exhaust ceramic coated first off. Nearly 6 feet tall, 30 inches wide and 24 inches deep. We included a shelf in which we can place a seperator so we only have to fire half of the oven for smaller projects.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2663/...7908deec_b.jpg

Not counting the cost of the oven against the build, since I figure this is a tool and will be used for other projects as well.

Finally, for tonite I decided to take a picture of this thing of which I have no idea where it goes on the car. A little fiberglass gizmo, looks like a cup holder, or maybe a liner under gas cap. or maybe an air intake for heater. I could not seem to find it in the manual.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2570/...576be46b_b.jpg

Thanks for letting me know what this thing is.

Ray

Last edited by Hray; 11-13-2009 at 09:16 PM..
Old 11-14-2009, 05:16 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

The fuel line doesn't really stand out as bling. No need to paint it. Good to see you back on task...
Old 11-14-2009, 05:39 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Ray,
That unknown piece....... Had to think about that one for a minute??????? IS............
for the original Heater/Defroster unit. Which by the way I HOPE your NOT using.?

If your motor does all kinds of wacky idling when it is started, that is the first sure sign of a vacuum leak. Take a can of WD-40 when it is running, spray around the base of the car, ALL vacuum lines including the Booster. IF any have a leak the motor will immediately go into a higher and smother RPM.

Just 2-cents this day. Have a great day!
DV
Old 11-14-2009, 08:12 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

DV: thanks for the answer and insights.

UPDATE: I am so happy I could lay a golden egg it possible. the holley works perfect. dialed in the lower mixture, haven't set the float levels yet but it sure runs great. I drove it about another 5 miles today.

Why in the world anyone would want more than a mild 302 for a daily driver I would have no clue. This thing can get really scary really quick. This could get a inexperience driver, or some fella with more guts than brains in trouble real soon.

I am so glad I test fit those doors and left them on, makes you feel a little more comfortable driving it down the road.

Last part of mechanial to finish is to connect the power steering lines to the rack. I am not sure I have to do that prior to disassembly for paint.

I am trying to decide to just pull everything apart at once, or instead as I pull stuff off, clean and paint or powder coat it, bag it and then go to the next piece. I think I am leaning toward doing piece at a time, this way I do not have to have bunches of pieces around in the way. Once all that is left is the long block and trans in the car then they can come out and in about two days they can be done and then reassemble the accessories.

Today was a good day, quit early, gonna watch a movie and eat popcorn.
Old 11-15-2009, 12:49 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

trying to get some quality time in with the car.

Questions: I notice the previous owner drilled and installed some quarter inch bolts in the fire wall, as well as mounted the relay bracket inside the firewall. Problem is that the screw heads are on the outside of the firewall.

Delima: I want to have the firewall as clean as possible, eliminating as many bolts and screws on the firewall as possible. What have some of you done to make the firewall as clean a possible.

History: I have glassed in oak slats on other glass cars on the inside, I then use wood screws to attach brackets to hold stuff. I have also welded in brackets and plates to use to mount stuff. As I do this on the cobra what do I need to do to not mount something in the wrong place and then have to redo it.

Thanks. Ray
Old 11-15-2009, 04:10 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

UPDATE and Questions:
Got the wiper motor mounted and figured out.

Now the hood latch, the hood latch does not fit as close to the firewall as i would like. I want the top flange and bottom flange to be right against the firewall and to have equal or no gaps where the bracket fits. Any insights as to which portion of this bracket should be cut and rewelded to fit the firewall. I know there is some adjustment in the hood portion of this assembly.

I know the right way to do it is mount the body, mount the hood, then fit the bracket to the firewall. I would prefer if there is enough adjustment to mount this bracket prior to all that.

Plus for finish I want to weld the face piece to the side pieces and weld them smooth for a better look.

I just do not want to subject my painted and clear coated firewall to all this busy work with fitting the hood latch assembly after paint.

The picture below show how the bracket does not fit against the firewall, it does not show it but this is at least a quarter inch away from firewall.
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2526/...73b799de_b.jpg

The picture below shows that the bottom portion is also about a quarter inch away from firewall. Where the front and side meet up is where I want to weld up and grind smooth.
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2515/...149954de_b.jpg

As you look at the picture below I will see if i can tell you where I think the problem is. The uppermost part of the cowl firewall leans forward some as compared to the bend meets. I am thinking this should have a solid right angle and not slanted forward. So if I cut the top lip of the bracket, then grind the rear sides to fit better this would let the front bottom lip touch the cowl/firewall about right. Then I would reweld the upper lip back on. or maybe better yet mount a piece of angel on the underneath side of the bracket and then nothing is seen as to the to mounting system.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2558/...a5ffae91_b.jpg

should this bracket not also be mounted with a very thin rubber sponge gasket so in case things move the gasket will take the shock and not the paint.
Thanks again for your help. Ray

Last edited by Hray; 11-15-2009 at 04:15 PM..
Old 11-15-2009, 05:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Sure could! GoKart with a V-8 as I always say...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hray View Post

Why in the world anyone would want more than a mild 302 for a daily driver I would have no clue. This thing can get really scary really quick. This could get a inexperience driver, or some fella with more guts than brains in trouble real soon.
Old 11-15-2009, 07:41 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Ray,
Been putting in 18 or better hour days getting Capteddies car done and right. Went home tonight at 6:15 PM a full month after I told him I would surely have it done! Chit happens

Your hood box: Take the bolts out of the top....... then push the bottom of the box tight against the firewall. YES, it does and is supposed to sit at a large angle. After you set the bottom box in tight it will raise the top of the box making the receptacle sit at a large angle. Now bolt the two top bolts in place-(hope you had it measured exactly for the hood pin/striker first), now when the male striker that is mounted to the hood will close at the same angle of the box! This prevents the striker from coming down at an angle and then hitting the box at a 90' degree hit!. That is a bad thing!! It may latch if you are unlucky but it may also refuse to release! Now that is a bad thing!

DV

Try to answer more later.
Old 11-15-2009, 07:53 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

DV: Thanks for insights,

The previous owner has drilled the four holes for the mounting box. I am still trying to prefit, or at least know how things fit, when it does come time to fit them for the last time.

Not sure if the previous guy just drilled where they put indications, or if he actually fit body and hood to figure it out. The manual does not provide lots of directions on this.

Sounds like I should just wait until the firewall is painted, then when body is mounted and bolted down, then fit the bracket to the firewall.

Gonna head out to shop for a little while longer.

Ray
Old 11-15-2009, 10:27 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Well, that short trip to the shop turned out to be a little over two hours, but I decided to get one step up on those gremlins that trash the shop every nite. I jumped in full tilt and pretty much undid everything I did for the last month or so. All that is left on the chassis is the long block, with carb, water pump, fuel pump, and distributor. Everything else is strewn all over the shop, parts laying everywhere, tools just dropped where I left them. so, if those gremilns show up tonite they will have nothing to do. They better turn on the lights or they will kill themselves. hey, maybe I subconscientiously set a trap for them.

Guess the motor will come out tomorrow, then the long hauls of sanding and repainting everything.

I need to have everything painted and reassembled by thanksgiving. The slowdown may be the learning curve of the powdercoating side of things.

later my friends, and gremlins... gotcha ya this time.... Ray
Old 11-16-2009, 01:58 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Ray,
Most likely he DID mount it according to the moulded in dimples! Never works!
YES, set the body, mount your doors, trunk hood- with the striker in place, THRN before the motor is in place put the hood box in place With it totally attached to the hood! move the hood hinges etc so you hood fits perfectly.

Now bolt up the receiver box in place! Now it AND your hood alignment will be perfect alignment!

AND NO the manual does not mention a thing about mounting the Hood Box! This is the final straw. I have pondered splitting the manual into another section, now it will be done! I will put in a suggested "Body Build and Assembly" section!

DV

The "Queen" is on the road! AND HUNGRY!