Club Cobra GasN Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > General Discussion > Club Cobra Introduction Forum (introduce yourself)

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-11-2010, 06:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERA Chas View Post
Just a suggestion but possibly some communication with the Kirkham brothers could yield some dimensions or possibly drawings.

Their 427 is THE 427...
Good idea... had not thought of that...

Garey
Old 01-11-2010, 06:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZOERA-SC7XX View Post
If I was going to try my hand at a 1/8 one-off Cobra body, I'd try to make templates from a master (maybe the MPC 1/16 Cobra) and mathmatically scale them. I've never undertaken such a project (although I do consider myself a 'contest quality' modeler, with several awards in the last twenty or so years). I might even use sheet brass for the body. I guess I'm just too lazy for that one-off stuff right now...maybe someday when I'm retired. It was much easier to build my ERA replica, as the body was done by those guys in New Britain. I have no doubt you'll get it right, as I've seen your Ferrari. Good luck.
I'm sitting here looking at the MPC kit, my foam body and a side view of a Kirkham 427... I think I have to go laminate some more foam and re-do my drawings and start over. I am noticing some particulars that I had overlooked and feel like the body I have is okay, but not RIGHT. I'll post some updates in a day or so after I've made some new progress...

Thanks for the insight guys,

Garey
Old 01-17-2010, 08:45 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Didn't get much done this week, but I have a few chassis pics to show. I did get some work done on the body, just not enough to show. Enjoy the small update...

Garey
Old 01-17-2010, 11:52 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: scratch built 289 eclectic mix of fia/ussrc/early comp
Not Ranked     

looking good !
Old 01-18-2010, 10:58 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Mech,
Very tidy work. Overlooking accuracy, a few questions.

Are you using a jig? Are the tubes for the cowl hoop, crossmembers and uprights butt joins or are the main tubes drilled and the tubes inserted before soldier?

Like the drilled rear crossmember.
Old 01-18-2010, 05:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Thanks Ozgur...

Chas, there is a mixture of butt joints and drilled joints, some pinned, some not. The suspension uprights are drilled into the main tubes for extra strength, the rest are butt. No jig, just a 1/4"x12"x24" steel plate and right angle welder's magnets for most of the big stuff, a ceramic mat and T-pins for the smaller assemblies. As far as accuracy goes, according to the reference I have been able to get my hands on, it's pretty spot on. What inaccuracies do you see? You're much more versed in these cars than I, so your critique/insight is invaluable to me, if you're willing to give it. I'll listen to all criticisms, believe me. And also remember that it is still in progress... some things may seem inaccurate now, but once done, will be accurate. It will continue to get more and more intricate, the more I add, which mandates accuracy from the beginning. It should be impressive when I get it done, but only if it's right... Also, I did send an email to Kirkham, per your suggestion, on Tuesday of last week, but no response as of yet. I'll keep waiting to see what happens there...

Thanks guys,

Garey

Last edited by bmwmech1; 01-18-2010 at 05:32 PM..
Old 01-18-2010, 06:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwmech1 View Post
Thanks Ozgur...

Chas, there is a mixture of butt joints and drilled joints, some pinned, some not. The suspension uprights are drilled into the main tubes for extra strength, the rest are butt. No jig, just a 1/4"x12"x24" steel plate and right angle welder's magnets for most of the big stuff, a ceramic mat and T-pins for the smaller assemblies. As far as accuracy goes, according to the reference I have been able to get my hands on, it's pretty spot on. What inaccuracies do you see? You're much more versed in these cars than I, so your critique/insight is invaluable to me, if you're willing to give it. I'll listen to all criticisms, believe me. And also remember that it is still in progress... some things may seem inaccurate now, but once done, will be accurate. It will continue to get more and more intricate, the more I add, which mandates accuracy from the beginning. It should be impressive when I get it done, but only if it's right... Also, I did send an email to Kirkham, per your suggestion, on Tuesday of last week, but no response as of yet. I'll keep waiting to see what happens there...

Thanks guys,

Garey
By no means am I implying that their are inaccuracies-and the workmanship is first rate. I have old reference photos, books and drawings but I'm certainly no chassis expert on original 60's cars. I was just considering your challenges of warpage, fit and dimensions and what your solutions are. I love to learn from a fellow modeler.

Like you I am a modeler and am watching your thread on the Model Cars site-plus the Ferrari is a wonderful work of a difficult subject.

I'm currently slowly working on Trump's 1/12 GT 40-I have much reference and am correcting the glaring faults but they did get the skin right. The Side Oiler is only a poor suggestion but I have one in the ERA to correct that. In no way am I working at the level you are, just having fun and it will be a nice bit of eyecandy.

My heart and soul went to my 1:1 ERA as seen in my gallery. Models are a pleasant, challenging pastime. The ERA talks back to me...

Try posting David or Tom on the Kirkham forum page-they are very good people and try to help many non K'car owners with informative technical threads.

"I'll be watching you...."
Old 01-18-2010, 08:59 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Considering I'm using the Kirkham as my photo reference, I will try to post on that subforum and see if I can get any response there... It looks promising, I was just poking around there. This is the reason I joined this forum...

On a lighter note... I couldn't wait for Trumpeter to come out with that kit, I remember seeing the "spy" photographs a couple of years ago and I swore I'd be on the waiting list before they came out... I still have a 1/8th scale scratchbuilt version on my to-do list, but I have yet to buy one of the 1/12th Trump versions. I still want one, just too many projects, right now. Plus, I've not seen too many builds yet and I love following builds before I wade into a project. I'll try to snap a few pics of my workbenches and machining areas for modeling in the next day or so. I pretty much have full machining capabilities in miniature and can cast in resin, rubber or metal and I have a dedicated metalworking bench and dedicated plastic working bench. It's pretty crazy, but it's like a Zen thing for me... I own a BMW service business, which keeps me busy enough daily, so I like the relaxation of building in miniature... speaking of which, I didn't even make it down to the workshop tonight!

Garey
Old 01-19-2010, 08:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I've decided to take the advice of a member in an earlier post and move the balance of this thread to the models and collectibles sub-forum, which is where it should really be...

Here's the link to the new thread...Scratchbuilt 1/8th scale 427 Cobra

Garey

Last edited by bmwmech1; 01-19-2010 at 08:09 PM..