Club Cobra Keith Craft Racing  

Go Back   Club Cobra > General Discussion > Club Cobra Introduction Forum (introduce yourself)

Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
May 2024
S M T W T F S
      1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31  

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-10-2010, 12:09 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Smile Snake bitten and looking for help

Hi everyone, first of all I have to say I love this site!!! and thank you for all the priceless, relatively unbiased info i was able to find about cobras.
I was first bitten during my junior karting years by a csx 3xxx (still trying to track her down). Now I am in the market to eventually claim one.
I am looking at a csx with a carbon fiber body but i havn't been able to find much info on any of them. Can Anyone help?
Ah another thing, toploader 4-speed or TKO 600?
I really look forward to any input
Thank you
Old 02-10-2010, 05:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Go

I know some one has one here . I'm sure they will respond . Welcome to CC
SDR
________
Honda Nsr50 Specifications

Last edited by somedayaurora; 02-21-2011 at 04:03 PM..
Old 02-10-2010, 05:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 4000; Shelby aluminum FE with 58mm IDAs
Not Ranked     

I believe that "twobjshelbys" has a carbon fiber CSX 4000. I am sure he will chime in.

Deciding whether to go with a toploader or TKO-600 is really a personal decision (trading off something that's period correct vs. having the benefits of an overdrive).

Good luck.

Stentor
Old 02-10-2010, 05:49 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: DRB 302 Ford HO Block
Not Ranked     
Default carbon fibre

There's an AC for sale
http://www.clubcobra.com/classifieds...uct=2739&cat=2
Old 02-11-2010, 10:06 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Stentor thank you for your input, I guess I had to hear it from somebody else ... considering the nature of the car I would not want to trade a period correct feature for comfort ... comfort and cobra should probably not even be used in the same sentence anyways
Yes I read a post by "twobjshelbys" where he mentioned having a cf. He has the emailing option off so i guess i have to wait and see if he chimes in.

Does anyone know of any CSX in the 45XX range? I think it is around those serials that the CFs were produced ...
Old 02-11-2010, 10:35 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stentor View Post
I believe that "twobjshelbys" has a carbon fiber CSX 4000. I am sure he will chime in.

Deciding whether to go with a toploader or TKO-600 is really a personal decision (trading off something that's period correct vs. having the benefits of an overdrive).

Good luck.

Stentor
twobjshelbys owns CSX4005LA, I believe. To the best of my recollection, which isn't very good, we don't have a member with a CSX4500 series car. Per Computerworks (Ron), from an earlier thread, the 4500 series are carbon fiber cars.

In the Year 2010, IMHO, it doesn't make sense to install Toploader in a non CSX2000 or CSX3000 car. I don't want to drive down the freeway at 3,000 +/- RPM and wear out my muy expensivo engine sooner. A 5-speed all the way for me.

However, many will disagree, but that's OK, we all like different flavors.
Old 02-11-2010, 11:10 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default TL vs TKO

Some factors to consider when comparing a 4-sp to a 5-sp:

Will you be driving substantial highway miles?
What rear rear end ratio will the car have?
What will your cam specs be?

I'm on my 4th cam and 3rd rear end ratio.

The Top Loader works for my configuration.

David
Old 02-11-2010, 11:40 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Hi David

No I'm not planing on doing substantial highway travel
The car i'm looking, besides the carbon fiber body had a 427SO and I think a 3.54 ratio. The current owner has not been able to tell me more and does not seem to be very informed on the specs of the car, hence I have no idea what the cam specs may be.
What i do know is that i will definitely want to do some track time and possibly some classic rallies
Mario
Old 02-11-2010, 12:02 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Mario,
Over the years I've been "all over the map" trying to decide what I wanted my car for, and didn't settle on the current configuration until about 2 years ago.

I find highway driving fairly boring and road race course driving thrilling. I even lost an engine while doing that! But, during the 16 years of driving it, the road course at Summit Point and Mid-Ohio were the most fun. I actually don't do much track driving, but my suspension and drive train are set up as though I do. It let's me pretend to be something I'm not, but driving these cars is pretty much a pretend or wanna be thing for a lot of us!

My 9" independent rear is a 3.70 to 1 ratio. My cam is a fairly aggressive solid roller and begins to settle in at 3,000 rpm. When I'm constant speed driving I get better fuel mileage at 3,500 rpm than at 2,500. I think I'm at about 3,500 rpm at 65 mph. While in 4th gear, going from 65 to 90 is kinda like a blink of the eye.

Consider your variables and talk to a few folks. You'll get some good recommendations from the guys on this site. You'll find your niche!

David

Last edited by 601HP; 02-11-2010 at 12:04 PM..
Old 02-11-2010, 12:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance SPF#2572, 427 S/O 2X4
Not Ranked     

If I remember correctly, the first four gears of the TKO/600 are almost identical to the top-loader. So go with the top-loader if authenticity is an issue, or the TKO/600 for the bonus of the OD for highway driving.
Old 02-11-2010, 12:45 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archrms View Post
If I remember correctly, the first four gears of the TKO/600 are almost identical to the top-loader. So go with the top-loader if authenticity is an issue, or the TKO/600 for the bonus of the OD for highway driving.
And check out both versions of the Toploader. There is a wide and close-ratio version. I can't quote individual gear specs for either, but there are differences. They can be found here www.4speedtoploaders.com/ Look in INFORMATION, then TORQUE SPECS and GEAR RATIOS.

I run a David Kee aluminum case unit. It's the wide-ratio but with the benefit of the big input shaft, normally not found on the wide-ratio.

David

Last edited by 601HP; 02-11-2010 at 12:52 PM..
Old 02-12-2010, 04:26 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Real: Southern Roadcraft, SRV8, 351W stroker
Not Ranked     
Default Snake bitten

Thread title has mistakenly lead me in here. I was expecting to see burn photos and give advice in burn treatment. I have a snake bite scar on my right leg
Cheers,
Bryan
VK3KDN

Old 02-12-2010, 08:50 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Wilson View Post
Thread title has mistakenly lead me in here. I was expecting to see burn photos and give advice in burn treatment. I have a snake bite scar on my right leg
Cheers,
Bryan
Bryan I'm sure soon enough your advice will be much needed