Club Cobra Keith Craft Racing  

Go Back   Club Cobra > General Discussion > Club Cobra Introduction Forum (introduce yourself)

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-23-2010, 03:17 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #790
Not Ranked     
Default I did it!

Hey everyone,

I have been lurking here and at other websites for months now and figured it was past time to introduce myself.

After many hours of reading and gathering info, I put my deposit down on an ERA 427 last week. Peter P. says he has already spent the check.

I had my heart set on building the car from the chassis up, but after attending some car shows, seeing how other cars had turned out and being honest with myself...I ordered a painted roller. Now the waiting begins, I am already getting excited.

Plus I somehow talked my wife into letting me keep the car from the darkside! Is it poor form to post picts of a Chebby (on my first post, to boot) on this forum?

Steve
Attached Images

Old 06-23-2010, 03:57 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427 SC s/n 718, 428 FE
Not Ranked     

No problem. You're a Cobra owner and that's just your 'other' car. Good luck with your ERA. Give us some build details.
Old 06-23-2010, 03:58 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Midstates (2001)
Not Ranked     

My eyes, my eyes, i'm blind aauugg.....all kidding aside....WELCOME.....
after getting your ERA there will be no use for the Chubby....it will become
yard art......unless you will it to me...it would make a real good gasser.....

enjoy your ERA....will it be powered by a FE ?????
Old 06-23-2010, 03:59 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CAV GT40 #169, Ford 408 Stroker & ZF Transaxle
Not Ranked     

So what is the time table for getting a completed painted roller these days?
Old 06-23-2010, 04:01 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2613 Titanium w/Black, Roush 402SR
Not Ranked     

Welcome and congrats on ordering your ERA. The Chebby is still cool for cruising.

No stop signs, speed limit - Nobody's gonna slow me down - Like a wheel, gonna spin it
Old 06-23-2010, 05:12 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Ha! The '57 is all original and came out of The Horsepower Hall of Fame when I got it. Jack "Doc" Watson owned it before me. He designed the original Hurst shifter and worked on the Hurst Olds, so no gasser mods for this one.

The build plan for the ERA is the ERA rear, 6 pin knock offs, TKO600, and a 428 with 2 x 4 carb set up.

Other options are: antisway bars, big brakes, powder coated chassis, Smith's gauges, oil cooler, glove box, tripode headlights, pusher fans, Girling brake reservoirs....

The current lead time quote is this fall...we'll see.

Steve
Old 06-25-2010, 05:13 AM
Seasoned Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 427 S/C, Dart 427W "Replica" Ford engine
Not Ranked     

Steve;
Welcome to our world. I had a "dark-side" car just like yours when I was a kid. Except it had four doors, a top, very little chrome, very few working electrics, four different sized tires, six cylinders, self changing oil, etc. but ,other than that,it was just like yours. Oh, yeah, it had a Hurst 3 speed shifter so it was a race car!
Bill Stradtner.
Old 06-25-2010, 10:00 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrayvsn View Post
The build plan for the ERA is the ERA rear, 6 pin knock offs, TKO600, and a 428 with 2 x 4 carb set up.

Other options are: antisway bars, big brakes, powder coated chassis, Smith's gauges, oil cooler, glove box, tripode headlights, pusher fans, Girling brake reservoirs....

The current lead time quote is this fall...we'll see.
That sounds pretty good, Steve. With a little luck, you just might get some driving time in before the cold weather.
Old 06-25-2010, 10:20 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Midstates (2001)
Not Ranked     

WOW...sounds like a nice ride Steve......dont forget to post lots of pics. when it comes home.
Old 06-25-2010, 06:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR3542K, 347 C. I., EFI, T-5, Miata Front Sway Bar, 3 Link, Red with White Stripes
Not Ranked     

Welcome to the Cobra Madness! AND sweet '57!
FFR3542K, 347, Holley Sniper EFI, T-5, 4 Wheel Discs, 3-Link, Miata Front Sway Bar, Red with White Stripes
Old 06-26-2010, 09:24 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: # 757 ERA 427 SC , 482 Al. big block
Not Ranked     

Steve .... congratulations !! You`ll have a ball . One suggestion since you live where you do . Get the heat shields for the primaries .... your feet will appreciate it . Also , if you get the oil cooler , have them put a Canton oil thermostat/regulator on it or you`ll never get your oil up to proper temps . There was a major thread on that a while back . I`m in SC and my ambients are in the mid 90`s to low 100`s recently . Last summer , I barely got my oil to 160 degrees ... now 180 to 200 depending on how hard I run it .
BTW , a friend I grew up with used to have a black `57 Fuelie . Then he got his clock cleaned by a three deuce , Dontov camed , solid lifter Belaire , so off came the fuel injection and on went the three dueces , Dontov cam and solids . I got to drive that car everytime he lost his license ... which was on a regular basis . He still has that car , but it`s a Fuelie again .

Bob
Old 06-26-2010, 02:32 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 2137, KC Racing 306
Not Ranked     

Congratulations Steve! Peter will be shipping my 289FIA painted roller in a couple of weeks. I ordered it around the first of October and am trying not to get too excited until I can touch it. I have one of those 57 Chevy convertibles doing garage art duty - have had it over 25 years. It has the factory 2 four barrels on the original 283. Ran fine when parked but haven't started it in 4 years. Don't forget you can store lots of parts in the trunk!

Greg
Old 06-27-2010, 10:21 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #775
Not Ranked     

Congratulations on taking the first big step and welcome to the Club. Look forward to hearing more about your build as it progresses.

-Ray
Old 06-27-2010, 03:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
That sounds pretty good, Steve. With a little luck, you just might get some driving time in before the cold weather.
Patrick,

I hope so. At least it doesn't get too cold down here, even in winter. 40's and 50's are typical.

Another issue is me getting my butt in gear and finishing the thing when it arrives. I'm looking forward to it though.

Steve
Old 06-27-2010, 03:52 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobcat View Post
Steve .... congratulations !! You`ll have a ball . One suggestion since you live where you do . Get the heat shields for the primaries .... your feet will appreciate it . Also , if you get the oil cooler , have them put a Canton oil thermostat/regulator on it or you`ll never get your oil up to proper temps . There was a major thread on that a while back . I`m in SC and my ambients are in the mid 90`s to low 100`s recently . Last summer , I barely got my oil to 160 degrees ... now 180 to 200 depending on how hard I run it .
BTW , a friend I grew up with used to have a black `57 Fuelie . Then he got his clock cleaned by a three deuce , Dontov camed , solid lifter Belaire , so off came the fuel injection and on went the three dueces , Dontov cam and solids . I got to drive that car everytime he lost his license ... which was on a regular basis . He still has that car , but it`s a Fuelie again .

Bob
Great suggestions Bob, thank you. The heat shields are already ordered.
I saw the thread about the oil cooler/temps. I will get the guys to add the oil thermostat.

That's really cool that your bud still owns the '57. I've only had mine for four years, but I do enjoy it. The Fuelie option his has makes it pretty special. Even though it's slower without the mods it was probably a wise move to revert back to original in the long run, if he ever decides to sell.

Steve
Old 06-27-2010, 04:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quik289 View Post
Congratulations Steve! Peter will be shipping my 289FIA painted roller in a couple of weeks. I ordered it around the first of October and am trying not to get too excited until I can touch it. I have one of those 57 Chevy convertibles doing garage art duty - have had it over 25 years. It has the factory 2 four barrels on the original 283. Ran fine when parked but haven't started it in 4 years. Don't forget you can store lots of parts in the trunk!

Greg
Greg,

I bet the anticipation is growing exponentially at this point! So it took about ten months to get your car? I think a fall time frame for mine is being optimistic, we'll see.

I've got a feeling that when I get the ERA my '57 will being be on art duty also.

Steve
Old 06-27-2010, 06:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 739
Not Ranked     

Have fun with the new ERA. I love mine. I know you probably know this but the more you purchase from ERA, they will install for you as well. I would highly recommend you let them do the wiring part. Any questions let us know...being a relatively new ERA owner, feel free to PM me with any questions.

Kramer
Old 06-28-2010, 05:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks Kramer, I appreciate the offer. You may get more pm's than you'd expected, lol.
Old 06-28-2010, 10:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 739
Not Ranked     

No worries...the Cobra family here and specifically at ERA are all great people who will help you with every step of the way. Reach out to me any time you need it. I did a ALOT of research of every aspect of my car so it will be good to pass on any information that will help you.

Kramer
Old 06-28-2010, 10:58 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA 'Street' Build
Not Ranked     

Steve,

Welcome to the club and Congratulations ... your ERA sounds like a excellent setup!

Let us know how your build goes, Peter and Crew make wonderful cars and you will really enjoy working with them.

I am having a car built as well, hope to have it sometime later this year

- Tim