Club Cobra Gas - N Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > General Discussion > Club Cobra Introduction Forum (introduce yourself)

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Old 12-06-2010, 04:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Hows it going?

Hey,

I lurked here for the past few weeks, and decided to join to get in on all the automotive fun you all are having.

Im looking to get into a Daytona Coupe. Not really sure where to get started. I normally build wood kayaks , so I've never worked on cars in the past beyond changing a tire. Never really worked on an engine, but im motivated.

I hope to give you all a good/informative build thread within the next year. Next x-mass/birthday im gunna ask permission to buy/build one.

Any advice where to get started with engines?

-Thanks

-P
Old 12-06-2010, 08:35 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 2137, KC Racing 306
Not Ranked     

If you are like me, and don't have experience building engines and don't want to take a vo-tech school course to learn how, go see Keith Craft Racing in Arkadelphia, AR. They aren't too far from anywhere in Louisiana, have a great reputation for their Ford engines of all types, and you'll be driving your dream alot sooner.
Old 12-06-2010, 11:13 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

thanks for the info. Ill be sure to check out the website (if there is one), or give them a call if i need some shop. It is fairly close to one of my main cities (Fort Worth, New Orleans, and Pensacola).

i spent the past few hours browsing a few sites on engine repair/ builds, but they never seem to go into too much depth. Ill probably go buy a book on the subject.

Any suggestions on books?
Old 12-07-2010, 01:19 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Titanium/Black BDR934, Ford
Not Ranked     

NappyP,
Fellow kayaker here; good to have you here at CC!
Good luck on your search of the perfect car! If I were you I would consider also looking at completed cars. In today's market your best value is to buy an already built vehicle either from a private party or from a dealer; Supply exceeds demand at this time and there are some nice cars to be had for less then you can build them for yourself. You will still have the pleasure of tinkering with the car but also driving it a lot sooner!
Have fun and please keep us posted on what you decide to do.
Old 12-08-2010, 12:31 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Always nice to run into another kayaker. We have that nod that kayakers all share when crossing paths on the road, stream, or lake. I imagine same goes for Cobra owners too. Hope to be part of that soon.

I was actually suprised by the cost of some already made cobras. One snaged my attention the other day, but I didn't know enough about the cars in gereral to know if it was a good deal. Browsing also showed me that Daytonas (what im hoping to get into) tend to run a little pricier, but im sure they are all over the place in cost too.

Im still debating the pros and cons of buying vs. building. Cost, time, difficulty, experience, first hand knowledge of car, ease, and final value.

Dunno yet. In another month or two ill figure out more concrete plans. Im currently looking at crate engines. Anyone reading this had any experience with them?
Old 12-08-2010, 04:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR3542K, 347 C. I., EFI, T-5, Miata Front Sway Bar, 3 Link, Red with White Stripes
Not Ranked     

Nappy,
Welcome to the forum. Lots of good information here.

Keith Craft is setting up an open house in March to show off his stuff and have workshops on engine stuff. You ought to attend his open house.

Working on Keith Craft open house
FFR3542K, 347, Holley Sniper EFI, T-5, 4 Wheel Discs, 3-Link, Miata Front Sway Bar, Red with White Stripes
Old 12-08-2010, 11:23 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Titanium/Black BDR934, Ford
Not Ranked     

NappyP,
You are correct that Daytonas are nowhere as common as Cobras but still some good deals out there for less than you can build them but with that said, I am kind of catching the bug myself and thinking of going for a GT40 build; some decisions are simply not rational and these cars are nothing if not irrational ;-)
Good luck in your search and make sure to read the forums; lots of info on good and bad kit manufacturers, engine builders and so on.
Old 12-11-2010, 12:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

just watched an engine go through its pre-assembly. Lots of small intricate steps but it seems doable. Kinda like a complicated erector set.... I know ill regret saying that one.

My source is the boxwrench.com DVD. Anything I should know about this site? Any glaring errors in its presentation?
Old 12-11-2010, 04:35 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RCR GT 40 & 1966 Fairlane 390 5 speed
Not Ranked     
Smile Coupe for sale

this Coupe is for sale and has a 408 Keith Craft motor in it.

Dwight

Last edited by Dwight; 12-11-2010 at 04:43 PM..