Club Cobra Keith Craft Motorsports  

Go Back   Club Cobra > General Discussion > Club Cobra Introduction Forum (introduce yourself)

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-11-2011, 07:59 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default SC guy with too may questions...

I'm a young engineer that works offshore 6 months out of the year. I've started looking at Backdraft Racing Shelby Cobra replicas as a possible primary vehicle for when I'm home. Is this crazy? I realize I could use a soft top for those once in a while rainy days in South Carolina. I'm not sure if these vehicles are money buckets and if the engines weren't made to be ridden everyday without some required care and maintenance. The idea is that spending money on a legendary vehicle such as a cobra and it coming from a reputible company that specializes in making replicas, I'm justifying that it would maintain its value much more than spending 45k on a new vehicle. If I spend that much on a vehicle, then in ten years it won't be worth what the cobra is worth??? I need some wisdom from all you old knowledgable people. Thanks.
Old 02-11-2011, 08:27 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CCX-3-3624, 351w, 5-speed
Not Ranked     

I would be sure to check on insurance and requirements. I know that in order to get the insurance on my car (do all states have mandatory insurance requirements?) I had to show proof of a "daily driver" in order to get insurance coverage. As far as "daily" driving, I have been averaging around 1,000 miles a month on my car, and it a 20+ year old build. I've had to replace the carburetor, push rods, alternator, voltage regulator, etc. Seems like there are always little things going wrong, and I have limped home a couple of times, but she has never left me stranded.
Old 02-11-2011, 08:32 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 739
Not Ranked     

I would be careful on the "old" part of the question? At 43 I still feel 26, I just have a little more money and a lot more responsibility.

To your question...Even though I had a nice MGB when I was young, nothing compares to owning a cobra. I don't recommend it as your only car. If you really want the Cobra, save yourself about 2-3K and buy an old honda civic(or something like that as a backup).

Kramer
Old 02-11-2011, 08:57 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Haha, well thank you both for the replies. I've got a lot to think about. Yeah I need to check on insurance and I also thought about buying a cheap back-up vehicle. Still checking to see if Backdraft Racing is the way to go. Is it crazy to want to put a mp3 player and sterio system in a roadster. Is that a slap in the face to a vintage ride?
Old 02-12-2011, 03:22 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Titanium/Black BDR934, Ford
Not Ranked     

Duane,
I know of at least one person that has a Backdraft and uses it in the same way you describe: live overseas and have Backdraft as DD when in town and he has no problem with it so it's certainly doable. Regarding insurance, the need to prove that you have another vehicle is only applicable if you are going to get insurance as a classic; for regular insurance there is no such requirement. From personal experience, I think that Backdrafts are very reliable but you do need to schedule preventative maintenance into the equation; these cars are certainly not the same as a Honda. Regarding depreciation, I think you are right in that you will likely lose a lot less money in the long run and will certainly have a lot more fun so I'd say go for it!
Best of luck,
Old 02-12-2011, 03:51 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Send a message via MSN to CowtownCobra
Not Ranked     

Good luck and enjoy the car. But honestly, I don't know which is crazier, spending 6 months out of the year offshore, or driving a cobra as your primary vehicle
Old 02-12-2011, 04:44 AM
Senile Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Time Machines Motorsports LLC- Superformance Dealer
Not Ranked     

I can't answer for the Backdraft guys, but I know of two Superformance owners who drive their cars on a everyday basis. One is in the Carolinas (search for Hal Copple here and read his very well written posts on his love affair with the "Great Stroker") and the other is here in New York State. Hal is from the top-down "I'll wear goggles and a flying cap" school of owners, Jim, the New York guy has a hardtop for the oh, nine months or so of "iffy" weather here in Upstate.

Both feel they are cheating when they drive anything other than the "toy".

So yes, you can do it. It is just a matter of determination and understanding that your toy car will get dirty, chipped, stared at, wet inside and out and that you are an ironman!

http://www.timemachinesauto.com/
Old 02-12-2011, 02:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Ahhh man! I didn't think I would get this much help and the encouragement. I'm getting pretty excited about it. Hell, I think I'll go for it. Especially if it doesn't depreciate as badly as todays vehicles. It seems like its a bad investment to drive a nice ride anymore...except if you buy a classic, but tgen you can hardly drive it. That's why a shelby replica came to mind. I remember when I was little and saw my first Cobra on the interstate. It was here and then gone! I've got a lot to learn and so many more stupid questions to ask. Good thing this forum is available. Thank you all for your inputs. I'm 24. I guess this means I'll be picking up much older women with this?
Old 02-12-2011, 02:49 PM
Backdraft Racing Dealer
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft Racing
Not Ranked     

I believe it can be done. You just have to know one thing, the Cobra replicas hold their value better because they generally have lower miles and lighter use. Once you put it into daily circulation it will depreciate more rapidly, though not as much as a Corvette for example.

I think it could be done and an MP3 option is one of our most popular installs on the Backdrafts. I would recommend a modern powertrain like the Coyote 5.0 setup. It will bring a lot more reliability to the car.

Let me know if I can help in any way.
Old 02-12-2011, 03:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Mr. Cashburn!, Even if I drive it daily(6months out of the year), it will still be worth more than the $45k big 4x4 I drive right now in 5 to 10 years correct? I mean, Backdraft sells all but the engine and tranny for 31,500 right? The car should always sustain close to that value even if everything under the hood has been ridden to pieces by that point?
Old 02-12-2011, 03:49 PM
Backdraft Racing Dealer
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft Racing
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duane Reade View Post
Mr. Cashburn!, Even if I drive it daily(6months out of the year), it will still be worth more than the $45k big 4x4 I drive right now in 5 to 10 years correct? I mean, Backdraft sells all but the engine and tranny for 31,500 right? The car should always sustain close to that value even if everything under the hood has been ridden to pieces by that point?
It's safe to say $30k of your investment will come back to you, that much is true. My point was, don't work off the "market" numbers too closely since the used shopper generally goes for lower mileage roadsters. Just sayin'
Old 02-12-2011, 05:19 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CCX-3-3624, 351w, 5-speed
Not Ranked     

IMO, this is a purchase of passion, not logic. With that being said, I have not seen a huge fluctuation in prices since I first started looking 3 or 4 years ago, although with the current economy it is a buyers market. I think you will do fine if you don't go too wild on the build. For example, I don't think a $12,000 paint job would help me enjoy my car any more than I do now. Take the time to be sure know what you want and expect from the car before you make any decisions.
Old 02-12-2011, 06:24 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Thank you Cashburn on the suggestion for the Coyote 5.0. I'll look it up. Yeah azfordman, it sure is a purchase of passion. I just want to know one day that when I decide to sell it I will say well I didn't lose as much money as if I had kept that Toyota Tundra(that's what I drive now). I also wanna know if I can do the day to day driving in it and she'll hold up okay. I'm just trying to justify it in my little noggin before I go and do something crazy like put a for sale sign on my truck...and no 12,000 dollar paint job for this guy...I'm looking at used as well... Thanks
Old 02-18-2011, 02:05 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance with modified 351 Windsor
Not Ranked     

Modern motor vehicles are not an investment. Classics are and they're meant for museums not daily driving. You're looking for minimal depreciation but what's the real reason for purchase? Most cobra owners don't own for daily transport. They own because they have disposable income and they're passionate about the car. My vote goes for saving your money and investing for your future so someday you'll have enough to purchase an investment classic. You've got a long life ahead, Lord willing, and time in the future to enjoy your passion. Lots of things will happen between now and then. If I owned a car like this at 24... we wouldn't be having this conversation because I'd most likely be dead!