Club Cobra Keith Craft Racing  

Go Back   Club Cobra > General Discussion > Club Cobra Introduction Forum (introduce yourself)

Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-20-2011, 08:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: One off Track-T 383 sbc 516 lb/ft@2800 1790 lbs Tremec TKO 600
Not Ranked     
Default New from California

Hi all, name is Bob and this is the 1st Cobra forum I have joined. I'm very interested in the high power to weight ratio of your rides. I have a 1923 Ford Track-T, 1790 lbs, 383 sbc stroker built for torque cause as an old fart I like to short shift, 516 lb/ft @ 2800, Tremec TKO 600, 31" tires, Jag IRS 3.54. While the market is still soft I want to buy someone's "need the cash" sale of a Cobra replica. The reason isn't just investment in these hard times, but I have been trying to get my T to perform like a Cobra and I fear I might kill myself if I don't do things right and just go the Cobra route. Plus I've always liked them.

The bum end.

Last edited by deckofficer; 04-20-2011 at 08:14 PM.. Reason: add a pic
Old 04-20-2011, 08:47 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft #318, 418 CI, 532 RWHP, Mass Flow Injected, TKO600-Road Race, BMW M3 Suspension, Race Springs (Wouldn't do it again, rough on the street).
Not Ranked     

Welcome! Just be aware that any Cobra you pick up has a HUGE potential to kill you between heart beats.....with just the wrong tire choice and rushing your experience. Be careful and get into the experience slowly. By the way, beautiful roadster. Bet you could sell it here!
Old 04-20-2011, 09:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR3542K, 347 C. I., EFI, T-5, Miata Front Sway Bar, 3 Link, Red with White Stripes
Not Ranked     

Welcome to the madness and sweet looking rod.
FFR3542K, 347, Holley Sniper EFI, T-5, 4 Wheel Discs, 3-Link, Miata Front Sway Bar, Red with White Stripes
Old 04-20-2011, 09:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: One off Track-T 383 sbc 516 lb/ft@2800 1790 lbs Tremec TKO 600
Not Ranked     

Thanks Wayne,

I probe slowly for the envelope of the vehicle in question. In the T, as the speed increases to areas it and I haven't seen, I'm thinking this is crazy, as a properly set up Cobra replica has already been proven safe at speed. Mine is a one off, and I've been the test pilot.

Last edited by deckofficer; 04-21-2011 at 09:21 PM..
Old 04-20-2011, 09:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks Steve,

Your Seagull user name, anything to do with Seagull Hang Gliders? I used to be a dealer for them some 30 years ago.
Old 04-21-2011, 07:26 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Midstates (2001)
Not Ranked     

Welcome to CC Bob......
nice looking T you got there......
a T is a T and Cobra is a Cobra....dont get confused
on which is which.....thats like calling a Timex a Rolex....
I'm sure the T is a blast going in a straight line but cornering
must be a little scary....
If you have never driven a Cobra you are in for a real treat....
you will wonder why you ever spent money on that T.....
Old 04-21-2011, 09:41 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

RustyBob,

Don't be too hard on the T. It was built to be a sleeper in the T comminity. The engine and trans are mounted so low in the frame that if the standard oil pan was used it would have 3/4" ground clearance. As you know with cars as light as ours, 4" lower engine&trans can lower cg by over 2". The main reason I want to go the Cobra route is it is already proven at certain levels of performance and I'm the guinia pig testing the envelope on my "one off" T. I know that this isn't much of a yardstick compared to your rides, but the T out corners (in G's on my G-Tech) my old '86 Corvette. But with no roll cage, I think I'm done trying to push it any further. As far as straight line, with the smaller but higher hp 355, it turned a 10.8 at Sacramento Raceway for the one time thet let me run it on the "Run what you brung" night. I told them it was 660 lbs heavier than what it is and 80 hp less, they crunched those altered numbers and figured mid 12 and allowed me to run. After the run they gave me a copy of NHRA rules for 9.99 to 10.99 and I was told it would not be allowed again to run until it was compliant. With the 383 I gave up 66 hp and wth the new 5 speed have put on some weight. The G-Tech now reports a 11.4. Below, one of many dyno pulls getting things dialed in.

Also it is no trailer queen, check the bugs on the windscreen, I-5 Southbound heading for LA.

Last edited by deckofficer; 04-21-2011 at 09:47 AM.. Reason: added a pic
Old 04-21-2011, 11:31 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Midstates (2001)
Not Ranked     

Sacramento Raceway is still open ?????
What are you looking for (brand wise) in a Cobra....
there are several different brands here in the Sacto. area....
SPF,BDR,FFR,Midstates,ERA,and i'm sure there are others.....
I have a Midstates myself....
Old 04-21-2011, 02:10 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Bob,

That is why I joined the forum. I have been a gearhead for 40 years and have had many muscle cars and hot rods, but now I really enjoy total performance that the high power to weight ratio rides offer. I want something with good street manners that with the addition of safety items could be run on track day. Doing the all out performance route in a Cobra replica is many times safer than trying to do it in a "one off" Track T. I wanted to up the ante to something over 525 hp in the T but now have decided to apply that new engine money to buying someone's fully sorted street/track Cobra. I am in no hurry because I'm keeping the T, it is just too much fun hanging with the T crowd in something that handles so much better than a regular T bucket and with the engine covered, they all know it must have a 2.3 L Pinto four banger.
Old 04-22-2011, 06:41 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Hello Bob, Very nice looking T! I love high performance, great handling cars. I built my own version of a T. I used the drivetrain, suspension from a 2003 Z06 C5 vette. I built an all aluminum semi-monoque chassis that had the stock C5 wheelbase. The stock C5 suspension cradles bolted into my chassis. I shortened the torque tube and moved the engine rearward by about 23 inches. I then made my own T inspired body. The result is the fastest, best handling car that i have ever driven. With the stock run flat C5 tires I blew away the competition at an event called Run n Gun. My engine is a stock LS6. I have recently finished a second body for the car, which was inspired by the 58 Lister Knobbly. I can change the bodies in about 30 minutes! Hot rod T for hot rod events, Old looking sports car for other days! (I recently installed a new engine in the car with about 100 more hp. The car weighs 1860lbs wtih the T body)

I also have built my own Cobra. I kept the stock wheelbase and track, built my style of chassis and used all C5 Z06 parts. The C5 transaxle won't work in the Cobra because of the width of the car. So, I converted the C5 diff to taking a driveshaft. I used an LS6 engine with a T56 6 speed trans. I took this car to Run n Gun. I actually spent 2 days at the event finishing the car. I started it for the first time and went on the road course. In my first session I set the fast time for all Street legal cars, (mostly Cobras). I put it in the trailer and took it home to finish. I have been driving it quite a bit and loving it. I believe that it is one of the best handling Cobras on the road. Far superior to any live axle, mustang parts combination. (not that there is anything wrong with that!) It's just that the current Vette parts and technology are far superior to previous technology.

So, I have 2 cars built with the same C5 parts. The Cobra is narrower, shorter, and has a higher center of gravity. It is a great handling car but it can not compete with my T/Lister. The difference is dramatic. On the same 1.6 mile road course 1.6 my T is 5 seconds faster per lap!!

I have just started another project. It is a J5 Kellison coupe. I will be building one of my frames and using all C5 parts. As a result I am selling my Cobra. It has a few thousand miles on it. The engine I bought brand new in the crate. It is finished to a high quality and painted Vette Atomic Orange Effect. It has a soft top. My frame design is unique and lets me have incredible cockpit and leg room while keeping the stock Cobra dimensions. I am 6'2 and am extremely comfortable in the car. If interested the price is $39,900.

I love all cool cars and respect anyone that build there own. Have fun and be safe, John
Old 04-22-2011, 09:44 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

John,

You have me drooling for pictures of both the T and the Cobra. That is my intention is to keep the T as it allows me to be a big fish in a small pond. When I find a Cobra I have to accept in the Cobra circles I will be a small fish in a big pond.