Club Cobra Keith Craft Motorsports  

Go Back   Club Cobra > General Discussion > Club Cobra Introduction Forum (introduce yourself)

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-21-2011, 02:05 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default New in San Diego

Another newbe in SoCal
I don’t have a Cobra yet but I have been looking since they were first being built in the 60’s. Back then I went with a new BB vette because it was to be my only car and the Corvette was a better fit for an “all around” car. I still have a C6, but can now handle having a total toy in the garage so I am looking to the body style I have always considered the gold standard for performance roadsters, your Cobra’s. In the long ago past I built several rods, Sprites, Healey and early Jags. Today (I’m 65) my building is largely behind me now, so I am going to buy a completed car on the used market. My concern is that I end up with something I want and not just jump into another project. 400hp is enough for me with tight suspension (independent) and big brakes, I love those curves.
So I intend to read here and ask questions about all aspects of these cars. Like most of you probably did, I am starting with dreams, but by buying on the used market I’ll have to eventually take as close as I can get to my ideal. I am sure there will be good cars to choose from once I can decide what I am actually looking for. Whatever I end up with I’d like it to cost less than $40K.
Questions:
I have seen lots cars with Mustang ll suspensions installed in the front. Is that really adequate for such a performance car? Are the spindles robust enough to handle high speed cornering? What about those brakes? Are there better options, perhaps on certain builds, that I should be looking at? I have seen a couple of cars advertised with BMW components in the front and I am sure that there must be others as well as custom builds.
I see some discussion about 3 & 4 link rear ends. I take it that is a std auto rear end and how it is controlled under the car? Which type is better known for handling and are you guys using parallel leaf or coil over or something else back there? I also wonder about having IRS, Vet or Jag perhaps. Is there any negatives to IRS in a Cobra? I would think with moderate HP and wanting a light car that handles curves the IRS might be my best option.
Seems to me that chassis/suspension decisions are where I need to start. Is there much difference in the handling ability of all the different builds out there? Are there some I should just discount from the get go?

Thanks, brian
Old 05-21-2011, 05:52 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #2608, Roush 427SR T-W
Not Ranked     

Brian, I bought a used SPF in March 2010 and it has run flawlessly. I hope I don't jinks (?) myself. It is all about who assembled it and maintained it. I spent more than you want to spend. Take a drive up to Hillbank Superformance in Irvine for the enjoyment. Seems like we each love our own particular model and think our car handles better than anyone else's Cobra. From my standpoint, my Cobra is way beyond my skills and I'll never put it to a true test. I am, by far, the limiting component in the suspension. You can't expect to buy a legend and expect to be able to judge it fairly. They are all so awesome!
Old 05-21-2011, 06:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

There is a SPF at Cobra Country right now in your price range. I happen to love the looks of the red one in Camarillo, but have not seen it fist hand. Cobra Country is a great place to look.

427 Cobra Country--Ford AC Cobra replica manufacturers SUPER-SITE
Old 05-21-2011, 09:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Midstates (2001)
Not Ranked     

Brian, Welcome to CC...i dont know what your time line is for buying a Cobra but it is a buyers market now with this economy being what it is and there are some real deals out there....keep looking and do your research and let us know what you find...
Old 05-22-2011, 12:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by WardL View Post
Brian, ...........From my standpoint, my Cobra is way beyond my skills and I'll never put it to a true test. I am, by far, the limiting component in the suspension. You can't expect to buy a legend and expect to be able to judge it fairly. They are all so awesome!
Thanks Ward for the thoughts. I am looking around right now to learn and have found quite a few cars on Craig’s within 1000 miles of me. It was pretty confusing at first, but yesterday just after posting here I got a FF packet. Cleared up a lot about what is underneath those awesome bodies especially what and how the suspensions are done. Why did you choose the car you have?

I know what you mean about being the limiting factor. I find that I am more and more the limit in my C6. Even 5 years ago I drove a lot hotter than I do now. I just want that, in the car I end up with, I am the limit, hate a bad mannered ride. I would expect most of the Cobra’s do handle very well.
Old 05-22-2011, 12:01 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Thanks, I'll check them out.
Old 05-22-2011, 12:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Hey Bob, I am not in a hurry as I head up into the mtns. for the summer and the cars don’t get exercised much then. I will be buying in the fall/winter. I expect that nothing is going to heat the market up anytime soon, know what you mean about the cars languishing out there. I have seen some of them for several months (as long as I have been looking).

What car do you have and what was the reason you pulled the trigger on that particular one?
Old 05-22-2011, 09:17 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Midstates (2001)
Not Ranked     

Brian, i have a Midstates Classic Cars Cobra(2001)....i got a body and frame from Midstates and went from there...the front suspension is mostly all Heidts M2 stuff with ford spindles and the rear is a 4 link setup and coil overs all around....i went this route for the simple reason if i where out somewhere and managed to damage something or something break i could go to a parts store or wrecking yard and find a replacement..my car has a .030 over 390 about 400 hp with an auto (tci c/6 2500 stall conv.) and 340 gears in a 8 inch its not a race car but it will get the job done in the fun department.
Old 05-22-2011, 10:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Why did you choose the car you have?
I chose the Superformance because it was easy to get a very slightly used one within my budget and it is "almost" a real Shelby Cobra (SPF is authorized by Shelby). Yes, it has a 4-wheel coil over shock independent suspension like many. Another big factor was the professional assembly, I did not want a car a really good hobbyist built. I also liked the authentic interior, gauges, etc, I could go on.... I couldn't be happier with my decision.
Old 05-22-2011, 10:12 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Why did you choose the car you have?
I chose the Superformance because it was easy to get a very slightly used one within my budget and it is "almost" a real Shelby Cobra (SPF is authorized by Shelby). Yes, it has a 4-wheel coil over shock independent suspension like many. Another big factor was the professional assembly, I did not want a car a really good hobbyist built. I also liked the authentic interior, gauges, etc, I could go on.... I couldn't be happier with my decision.
Old 05-23-2011, 12:34 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR #455, KC427W, TWM-FI
Not Ranked     

In San Diego on teh first Saturaday of every month the Cobras and Covettes meet in the Lowes parking lot at 8:00 for a fun drive. You will find a wide variety of Cobras there. Bring your C6 and enjoy the drive. You will be able to see for yourself which Corbas end up in the front of the pack. Email Hank Steckel at camelot@san.rr.com to be put on the email list. In order not to start another war on the forum I sent you a PM.
Old 05-24-2011, 07:12 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft #90, 351w,Tremec 3550, SB100 SOLD
Not Ranked     

Brian,

You may want to consider buying a car with an existing SB100 smog exemption. This will make getting your car titled much simpler when you buy it. Do a search on this site for SB100 and read up on it.

Most of today's replicas with IRS are very well engineered. Superformance and Backdrafts are both great. I would suggest riding in a few different models if possible to check the handling and ride. When I bought my Backdraft, I found the handling and ride of its BMW based suspension the best for me.

The cars with 3 and 4 link suspension with Mustang II front ends are usually Factory Five cars. Many of them are very well built and are great cars. Some however, are not all that well put together (it depends on the skill and ability of the builder), so be careful.

In any case, take advantage of the first Saturday meeting/ride that Rwilla mentioned. It is in the IKEA/Lowe's center in Mission Valley to help narrow down the location. Get there before 8AM to see all the Corvettes and Cobras. There is usually a bunch of great cars and really nice people. Hank Steckel is a great guy and drives a very nice green Backdraft, so he is pretty easy to find.

Good luck on your search for a car!

SkipB
Old 05-24-2011, 09:04 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyBob View Post
Brian, i have a Midstates Classic Cars Cobra(2001)....My car has a .030 over 390 about 400 hp with an auto (tci c/6 2500 stall conv.) and 340 gears in a 8 inch its not a race car but it will get the job done in the fun department.
Bob, I'm not looking for huge hp either and your AT interests me. Since I have been looking around I am seeing a few more of them. I have the paddle shifted AT on my Vette and really like it allows for almost as much control as a shifted car and when in traffic or tired you just go.

Enjoy your ride, sounds nice!
Old 05-24-2011, 09:17 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by WardL View Post
What IRS does your ride use? I have pretty much convinced myself to go that route and am interested in hearing about the various options used. I would guess that whatever brand/style is used, it would be ok. Interiors are also beginning to catch my eye. Haven't decided what I really like yet and being that I'll be buying used I might not have that much choice, though I tend to like simple. I understand your caution in who built the car, when you test drive a lot can be missed in that short look. Part of the challenge. Glad you're happy.
Old 05-24-2011, 12:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkipB View Post
Brian,

You may want to consider buying a car with an existing SB100 smog exemption. .......................Most of today's replicas with IRS are very well engineered. Superformance and Backdrafts are both great. In any case, take advantage of the first Saturday meeting/ride that Rwilla mentioned. It is in the IKEA/Lowe's center in Mission Valley to help narrow down the location. Get there before 8AM to see all the Corvettes and Cobras. There is usually a bunch of great cars and really nice people. Hank Steckel is a great guy and drives a very nice green Backdraft, so he is pretty easy to find.

Good luck on your search for a car!

SkipB
The SB-100 is at the top of my growing list of must have features, thanks. It’s good to hear that the IRS cars are well thought of because of their engineering. It makes sense as it is a serious performance feature and should work. Are the Superformance cars also BMW based? Is it just the suspension components that are used, or do they modify a BMW frame for their Cobras?
I have also run across several cars with Jag and even one with Corvette IRS. Do you know if there is a specific builder doing this or are they one off’s? I would really be interested in a car utilizing a late model Vette transaxle, but seating clearance might be tuff with the transmission there.
I hear your concerns over home built’s. I’ve done a couple and understand the possible pit falls, especially with the complexity in a whole car that has to be constructed from a cardboard box. My hat’s off to those guys, the only thing that I find more amazing are those who build and fly homebuilt airplanes.
I'll try and make the next SD Cobra event, if that doesn't work I'll try up in Reno this summer (if they have anything).

Thanks for the thoughts........
Old 05-24-2011, 01:53 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF1715, Roush Built 434 ci Stroker, Dart Block, Ported AFR 205 Heads... 561 hp / 547 tq, Former Roush Show Car, Completed and Prepped By Olthoff Racing.
Not Ranked     

Superformance builds their own frames and suspension. They do not use donor cars. Go to Hillbank Motors in Irvine and you will get to look at and ride in a Superformance. It is a very easy drive up from San Diego.