Club Cobra Gas-N Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > General Discussion > Club Cobra Introduction Forum (introduce yourself)

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-02-2011, 08:02 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Newest Member here with a questions !

Im a new member who has aspirations to either build a replica cobra or to buy one from existing owner.

MY NEEDS:

1) First Im 6' 3" ...... 215 pds ... I already understand that there are only certain models/manufacturers that will accomodate me "comfortably" .... comfort is the key word. I dont want to drive a car that I am crammed in the seat with my knees. I do understand its still a tight fit but the point is there are some manufacturers who I think make a longer frame for us taller people.
I will want to drive to car shows around the state and locally .... just flat enjoy the car !!!

So what brand do I buy ??

2) Im am not going to be racing this car. It will be driven regularly on weekdays and weekends to and from work weather permiting. I dont want a raced prepped car or one that has been raced.

3) gotta have the thump thump deep deep sound of a heavily cammed motor .... the few cobras i have seen at car shows ... omg ......

4) price ... dont want to spend $60 k .... $25000- $35000 +/- seems to be a good range for a decent car that doesnt have all the bells and whistles on it.

5) Do I build a car or buy one already built .... prob with the economy ... better to buy an existing unit than to build one. Have heard that one or several of the manufactures are in financial difficulities ( cant blame them can you ?) and I would feel safer buying a already built car from a reputable owner ... This said .... I use to build my own motors and trannies and races SHO's ... so I have the abilitly to build if I choose that route

THE END

Any and all help is greatly appreciated ....... I have always loved these cars and dam it if I wont own one sooner or later ... hopefully sooner
I am open for suggestions .... and I need my fix bad ..... sold my 2007 ShelbyGT500 @ 553 rwhp and 410 gears about 3 mths ago

Last edited by 1badsho; 07-02-2011 at 09:04 AM..
Old 07-02-2011, 08:16 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary Cobra, 427 side oiler
Not Ranked     

Decide what is important (authenticity/powertrain/color) and then go look at some existing cars. That will help you decide which car fits and whether or not you could achieve happiness with an already finished car. These cars are extremely individual expressions of an owner (like dual rollbars for instance) and some things can be more easily and affordably changed than other things.

I don't agree that I would feel safer in a car someone else built. Yep, all those bolts do run through my mind from time to time, but I gain comfort in knowing that if something comes apart, I know who to blame. There is an amazing amount of pride that comes from building your own car, both sitting in the garage when its done and blowing past 130 mph.

You want a big thump, buy a big engine.
Old 07-02-2011, 08:26 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Roger on the big motor.

Makes total sense about building the car yourself ... I know from past expierence .. you build it .... ITS SO MUCH EASIER TO TEAR DOWN .

Than you get into what manufacturer and a kit that will accomodate me at 6' 3"
Old 07-02-2011, 08:41 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Scratch built CSX style frame, Carbon fiber body, 393 Stroker, T-bird IRS, T5
Not Ranked     

Most of the kits will accomodate a person of 6'3" with a little work on the seat locations, a good seat mounting platform that slightly tilts the seat and the right footbox/pedal set up.
There are also several kits that come in different lengths than the original that may be more comfortable to drive- but keep in mind most cobras aren't made to be comfortable. They are street driven race cars and really don't have all the bells and whistles of an OEM car and are kind of spartan when it comes to amenities for comfort.

Your best bet is to go to one of the Cobra gatherings in your neck of the woods or join a Cobra club in your area so you can check out a number of different makes in one place and hopefully sit in a few to get an idea of what works and what doesn't with your idea of what you are looking for.

Also, IMHO, you really don't need a big motor to get a good lumpy cam sound. I've heard lots of 5.0 motors that sounded great with the right cam and exhaust set up. And they will much easier to live with as a daily driver (also IMHO). A nice small block stroker based on a 5.0 or a 351W would probably fill your bill perfectly.

Bob

Last edited by Three Peaks; 07-02-2011 at 08:44 AM..
Old 07-02-2011, 08:48 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Bob ..... thank you ... I will start looking for Cobra gatherings in the State of Florida ... Another advantage of building your own car is position the seat and pedals for your "fit"

I do understand that the cobra was race built ... and I am not un-realistic in the fact that its cramped .... just dont want it OVERLY cramped
Old 07-02-2011, 08:52 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

6'3" and 215 is not a big deal for any of the cars, provided they're set up right to begin with. My car fits me like a glove and I'm taller than that. But, I've sat in Kirkhams, CSX, and SPF cars where I didn't fit worth a crap because the owners were diminutive in size. I don't think I've ever sat in an FFR, but I know for a fact they can be set up for taller folks. You don't need an "extended wheelbase" for your size. And don't worry about getting a chance to work on them just because someone else put them together. Even if you have one built by NASA, it will still find a way to fall apart just sitting in your garage.
Old 07-02-2011, 08:56 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

In fact, ERA thought so much of me being tall and happy in their cars that they put a pic of me on their web site. Click here and scroll down a bit: 427 Frequently Asked Questions
Old 07-02-2011, 09:07 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

patrick ..... that makes sense ...... if i find a built car with the owner being 5' 4" i may have some issues .... but at the same time If i find a built car with someone size like u ... than all should be fine ... I thought the only option was E-M IV series ... but Im finding out thats not true
Old 07-02-2011, 09:17 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I have also sat in ERA cars where my nose was higher than the windshield. It's all in how you set it up.
Old 07-02-2011, 12:52 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 2007 BDR FR Boss 302
Not Ranked     

You might want to get a hold of member DoubleVenom (DV) He just finished a new Classic Roadster which is set up for a larger driver. Cobra is Blue/White stripes. Has a 408 W motor putting out about 525 HP. TKO 600 trans, etc. He has it for sale in the classified section also. Best of luck in your qwest and welcome to the club.
Old 07-02-2011, 02:17 PM
Full Blown Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Premier Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 427 S/C, Twin Paxton 511 FE
Not Ranked     

Patrick,

I never saw that pic of you on the ERA website.

Is that a touch of balding peering through all those rollbar tubes?

Old 07-02-2011, 02:29 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodneym View Post
Patrick,

I never saw that pic of you on the ERA website.
Please click on it continuously, I get a $25 royalty from Bob P. for every page visit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodneym View Post
Is that a touch of balding peering through all those rollbar tubes?
Uhhh, yes. But I've been using the Rogaine foam and it seems to be doing the trick.
Old 07-02-2011, 03:35 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 781, 69' 428CJ, PPG BLACK. ERA 3005 Arctic White 331 SBF
Not Ranked     

I thought I might add my 2 cents worth here at 5' 13" 240lbs and I've never been accused of being narrow! Driving an ERA with the seat tracks and no mods to the pedals, and I still have room to move the seat back. I do sit tall in the saddle, but it is comfortable and after a few miles I tend to slide down in the seat a bit.
I hadn't turnad a wrench in 40 years and I put mine together. If the part didn't fit, I was installing it wrong. First few miles I was definitely scared to death that it would fall apart around me, but it's still together and mostly running. No spark at the moment, but I wired it,so I can trace it and whatever you buy the support is always available and then the wiseguys on here will bend over backwards to help.
Just do it and have some fun.
Old 07-02-2011, 04:57 PM
Full Blown Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Premier Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 427 S/C, Twin Paxton 511 FE
Not Ranked     

Can't say you're not a sport, Patrick.

Just for that, 2 more clicks on Bob's site.
What the hell! 3 more!
Old 07-02-2011, 09:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 1966 Lone Star 427SC.
Not Ranked     

I built a Lone Star Classic. Look over my pics here or email me for many more. The cockpit is 4" longer and has a 4" drop floor pan. 94" wheelbase vs 90" factory. It's heavier than some out there, but the body is very thick and have has no issues of star cracking. The frame is also very stout. Very comfortable to drive. If you're not going for a full race Cobra, call Brian.

$20,000 for a full kit. Add drivetrain of apx. $10,000 = a hell of a Cobra.

I also make new polished 304 stainless steel side pipes for the LSC Cobra.

Feel free to call me. 402-781-2322

Lone Star Classics - Kit Car Replicas.

Kevin

Old 07-03-2011, 07:23 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUNFER2 View Post
$20,000 for a full kit. Add drivetrain of apx. $10,000 = a hell of a Cobra.
That's pretty hard to argue with. You're not going to get there for that price with the cars I named above -- with the exception of the FFR. The older FFR cars look a little different than the classic "perfect" Cobra look of the Kirkham/ERA/CSX cars (and Contemporary, too, maybe some others as well), but I actually like the look quite a bit -- there is a newer FFR look that is supposedly quite accurate, but I have not seen it with my own two eyes. You can easily build one heckuva FFR car for something that starts with a "3" and it will look beautiful and run rings around just about everything on the street (including my ERA with the mild FE).
Old 07-03-2011, 07:47 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

brian ..... patrick .... thank you both very much .... and to all the others that have already responded to my thread. Just the past two days I have learned so much. I now know that E-M series IV is not my only option due to my height. Thanks to all the posts I now know I have so many more options which puts a smile to my face.
If I choose to build a car I just need to make sure that I do enough research and due diligence that the company I give $20,000 +/- is financially stable.

Last edited by 1badsho; 07-04-2011 at 01:21 PM..