Club Cobra Keith Craft Motorsports  

Go Back   Club Cobra > General Discussion > Club Cobra Introduction Forum (introduce yourself)

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-19-2011, 10:02 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Looking for honest opinions

I'm planning on building from a kit and would rather not make the mistake of buying the wrong one for me. I'm looking for a daily driver and I'm on a budget. Probably going the doner car route. Knowledge is power, so before I drop a dime. I need to become as powerful as possible. Thanks for your help and opinions in advance.
Old 09-19-2011, 10:17 AM
Backdraft Racing Dealer
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft Racing
Not Ranked     

Not a great daily driver vehicle from a safety, reliability, efficiency standpoint.

You can buy a used kit for much less than it will cost you to build.
Old 09-19-2011, 10:58 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammer1 View Post
I'm planning on building from a kit and would rather not make the mistake of buying the wrong one for me. I'm looking for a daily driver and I'm on a budget. Probably going the doner car route. Knowledge is power, so before I drop a dime. I need to become as powerful as possible. Thanks for your help and opinions in advance.
As already stated above, not the best vehicle to user as a daily driver. However, if you have your heart set on it, then you need to at least tell us what your realistic budget is like so we can assist you in choosing a kit (or finished car) that will best suit your wants, needs, and wallet size.

Bill S.

First time Cobra buyers-READ THIS
Old 09-19-2011, 11:08 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Midstates/Shell Valley Street Cobra
Not Ranked     
Thumbs up this

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cashburn View Post
Not a great daily driver vehicle from a safety, reliability, efficiency standpoint.

You can buy a used kit for much less than it will cost you to build.
absolutely
Old 09-19-2011, 11:19 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SOLD-SPO2660, Southern Automotive 406FE, TKO-600
Not Ranked     

hammer1, I spent 4 years researching before I bought. As has been stated, these really aren't daily drivers, though some people do. Also there are many options out there, be careful letting price alone be the driver. Spend some time on CobraCountry.com as well as the for sale area of this site to see what's out there. I too thought about building but decided that given the market in recent years, buying used already built was the better decision. I still feel that way after 18 months.

Have fun and enjoy life, because when it is over, it is too late!
Old 09-19-2011, 03:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Sold my beloved Shelby CSX 4068, Gessford 427 Ford
Not Ranked     
Default Are you sure you can find a good donor?

When you say donor, what car is to be the donor? I immediately assume Factory Five, but there are others. There used to be a ton of good, low mile Fox Mustangs out there to use as donors. That was 10 years ago. Try to find a nice one now. And the Mustang guys will kill ya for stripping a nice one. They're collectible now, ya know. You probably will be either using questionable, worn out parts, or buying new ones 'cause you can't find good used. I echo the other responses - buy an already-built one and save a bunch of money. If you are considering a kit because you want to build it yourself, believe this - there are always projects to do on a Cobra. You can always tear it apart once you buy it and rebuild from the ground up. Repaint it, add missing options you'd like, etc. Just as satisfying, makes it "yours", and a lot less $$$$$ in this economy.
Old 09-19-2011, 05:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft, supercharged Coyote
Not Ranked     

Fortunatly, you have a number of good choices for you to choose from. Lone Star, Factory Five, and Backdraft are excellent choices, and can be built (or bought) for a reasonable price.

For me, Factory Five comes to mind, for obvious reasons. Especially when you say "donor". A nice, powerfull, relaible, FFR can be built for <$20K. For a donor, you can use any Mustang from '87-'03. With their kit and a rolled mustang, you have every single part you need except paint. Every part, bolt, screw, sensor, and wire. If it's not in the kit or on the Mustang, you don't need it.

Imagine a nice roadster with a bone stock 4.6L V8 and a T45 6 speed. Powerfull, fun, great looking, and will easily get 20+mpg for 100K miles or more. And if you want more power or better handeling, just open a catalog. Does it get any better than that?

The Backdraft and Lonestar can be built to the same level, for about the same money. But it's a smidgen more difficult, because you have to source more parts from a variety of sources. They're still excellent options, though.

As said above, the real bargains these days is to buy one already built. But where's the fun of that? It's hard to decide what is more fun, building, driving, or racing my FFR. I'd love to build another car. But I wouldn't want to be without the car for 2-3 years while I build another one.

Besides, do you trust a guy you don't know to build your car?
NASA Rocky Mountain TTU #42
www.RacingtheExocet.com
BDR #1642 - Supercharged Coyote, 6 speed Auto
Old 09-19-2011, 05:36 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Thanks guys! this is exactly the kind of feedback that I was looking for. I'm only trying to spend 20 to 25K When I said daily driver, I guess I should of said more like 2nd car. I live only 5 miles from work and a Cobra would be a lot of fun for weekend drives. Also I live N.E of Atlanta about 10 miles from Road Atlanta and know a few people that can get me some track time at no cost. I'm in no big hurry to buy and all options are on the table. What I really need to do is go for a test drive and see how deep the hook sinks.
Old 09-19-2011, 05:49 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

True words of wisdom
As said above, the real bargains these days is to buy one already built. But where's the fun of that? It's hard to decide what is more fun, building, driving, or racing my FFR. I'd love to build another car. But I wouldn't want to be without the car for 2-3 years while I build another one.
Besides, do you trust a guy you don't know to build your car?
Old 09-19-2011, 06:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SOLD-SPO2660, Southern Automotive 406FE, TKO-600
Not Ranked     

Go down to Southern Automotive in McDonough and talk with Bill Parham. He is a wealth of knowledge about these things. I did that back in 08 and it proved to be time well spent. Also, as others have said, you'll get plenty of time to work on your car regardless of what you get!

Have fun and enjoy life, because when it is over, it is too late!
Old 09-19-2011, 09:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Get together with some local owners and look at, possibly drive, a couple cars. You'll get a good idea of the different manufacturers that way.
Larry