Club Cobra Gas-N Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > General Discussion > Club Cobra Introduction Forum (introduce yourself)

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-13-2012, 03:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Don't know what we have . . .

I hope this is appropriate for a first time poster but I'm not sure what kit I'm dealing with.

I consult, authenticate and do research for a classic/muscle car dealer and I'm at a loss about a Cobra 427 we just got. My boss bought it at the McCormick auction a couple of weeks ago and it's titled a 1964 Ford.

It has a Genesis 482FE and it's about the wildest thing I have ever driven. Here's the driver's door jamb . . .

The two bumperettes are solid aluminum and have "MD" engraved on the back. In fact, "MD" is engraved inside the spinners, on both valve covers and on the back of the steering wheel.

The previous owner thought it was from the early '70s and the apprearance of the above pieces (and the car) suggest that period or earlier.

This is the back of the steering wheel . . .

"MC" is welded into the bottom of the frame, don't know if that's relevant.

Any help anyone could provide would be awesome.

Foy
Old 03-13-2012, 05:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 838
Not Ranked     

What type of suspension front and back?

I can't tell the make from the photos. Maybe others can.

John
Old 03-13-2012, 08:09 PM
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: S C Motorcars
Not Ranked     

The inside of the hood, hood hinges and the bosses that come out from the firewall that the back of the hood sits on when it is closed look like my SC Motorcars.

Lester
Old 03-14-2012, 08:39 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Sorry, should have included undercarriage pics.

You can see the old (I presume) coil spring seats in this last shot.

SC Motorcars . . . hmmm . . .

Foy
Old 03-14-2012, 10:48 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 289 FIA Superformance 425hp 289
Not Ranked     

All,
How many replicas have the front turn signal moulding? (I'm sure I"m not expressing that correctly). That is how I usually identify a Factory Five (this car has them).
Old 03-14-2012, 10:51 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 289 FIA Superformance 425hp 289
Not Ranked     

All,
How many replicas have the front turn signal moulding? (I'm sure I"m not expressing that correctly). That is how I usually identify a Factory Five (this car has them).
Old 03-14-2012, 11:06 AM
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: S C Motorcars
Not Ranked     

Look at the top of the frame rails, passenger side front and see if there are any numbers stamped there. Your frame construction is very near mine, but I have dropped floor pan in the foot boxes.

Lester
Old 03-14-2012, 11:42 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham, KMP178 / '66 GT350H, 4-speed
Not Ranked     

IMO, LA Exotics
Old 03-14-2012, 08:57 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I like your car.it looks like when you go throught it, and sort things out it will be fine.I would check your radiator looks like it is sitting crooked inside the frame rails.
Old 03-15-2012, 11:16 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

computerworks -

You the man. I think you're right; this is an LAE car. I think it might be an early one. I went to the B and B sub-forum to see if Mr. Anderson could provide additional information.

You guys are awesome. Every time I think I'm all that/knows everything about old cars, something like this comes along . . . I had no idea what to call it.

Again, thank all of you for your help.

Foy
Old 03-15-2012, 04:31 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: JBL/Goins Motorsports
Not Ranked     

Cobra Auto Works. One of the first to be built in California or one of the first built in Okla before Bruce and Brian parted ways and LA Exotic formed. Micheal Clayton was the welder. He had a bad habit of autographing everything. I setup the Cobra Auto Works operation in Okla but don't remember this car. Could have just been a kit shipped back to California and built there.

Larry
Old 03-16-2012, 10:51 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Larry -

You guys are unbelievable.

If I could ask; what year did you set up the Oklahoma facility and when did Bruce and Bryan part company?

It was almost certainly shipped back to California as a kit, as you suggest
Now, if I could just figure out why the back of the steering wheel, inside the spinners, back of the bumperettes and both valve covers have an engraved "MD." All aluminum pieces and all appear to be original to the initial build.

I'm sorry to keep bothering everybody with this. You've already been a huge help. Apparently, the previous owner enlisted some "experts" that couldn't identify the car. In my small circle, I have an (often dubious) reputation decoding trim tags, stamps, etc. and I've angered a fair number of Camaro owners that were absolutely positive their car was an "SS."

My pride was as stake therefore, when my boss presented me with this car, suggesting I go to the Carrol Shelby facility here in Las Vegas and ask them.

Thanks to you guys, Foy can stand tall another day.

Foy
Old 03-16-2012, 11:20 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: LA Cobra / B&B 427 SO
Not Ranked     

Foy - it sure looks a lot like mine. Frame, rear end, front end... Mine has the LAE tag on the firewall in the engine compartment though.
Old 03-16-2012, 08:27 PM
Senior ClubCobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: LA Exotics
Not Ranked     

Yes, the frame has a lot of LAE features, but the interior, the hood scoop, and other details are different. Of course, if the guys built Cobra Auto Works and then went on to LAE, many things would be the same.

Clearly, Larry knows his stuff.
Old 03-21-2012, 11:38 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Yes he does, as do many others here. You guys have been a great help.

I must also say; I regularly get to drive some pretty impressive iron and until I got in this animal, thought I'd experienced the extreme of the extreme. The Genesis 482 in this car is almost beyond belief and it's got the most wicked/intimidating idle I've ever heard. Breaking the rear tires loose in 3rd and 4th gear isn't something that happens every day.

It is seriously, one of the fastest cars I've ever had the pleasure . . . except when my left knee (6 foot 4) hits a dash brace every time I use the clutch.

I did say it was fast, right?

Thanks again,
Foy
Old 05-25-2012, 06:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft 427 FE 4spd
Not Ranked     

I have an early SC believed to have been built in the Jay Oklahoma shop. First check the right frame rail for an identification number starting with OK. This would make it an SC. My dash extends down to tranny hump, yours does not. My car has dropped floors yours does not. If SC, door latches are mounted mid door. Larry Goins is the real expert to ID this Cobra. He was very helpful in identifying mine. He actually remembered delivering the car back in 1990! I'm sure you'll like the car...its built like a tank.
Old 05-26-2012, 03:11 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: NAF 289 Slabside Early Comp Car with 289 Webers and all the goodies. Cancelling the efforts of several Priuses
Not Ranked     

This appears to have been a car that was initially titled in CA. The VIN was assigned (blue label) as part of the registration process by the Hiway Patrol (part of their functions). All build slips, receipts, etc were presented and after they were convinced all was in order the VIN was assigned. Then the next step was to the Bureau of Automotive Repair (BAR aka smog referee) who then inspected the said receipts and verified the engine for what it was being represented as. In its earliest configuration (the smog program for kit cars) the engine year of manufacture, size, make, FI or carburetion, transmission and installed or required initial emissions systems were noted and embossed on the foil label and attached to the vehicle. Then the vehicle had to be smog checked bi-annually to maintain vehicle tags. At a minimum it had have a PCV fited or retrofitted and a closed air breather system plumbed to the a valve cover and into the base of the carburetor. This was a REAL BIG deal for those of us with kit cars in the late 80's and later until the current SB100 (California) regulations allowed us to install earlier engines as they were originally configured without the subsequent necessary smog inspections. Without this label you were dead in the water. I always dreaded having to go get the car smog checked every 2 years when the tags were due, because not all of the smog stations were up on the requirements for the kit cars and they always had their own interpretation of what they were. I was grateful to find a young fellow who had a soft spot for High Performance cars and owned a smofg inspection shop. Until then I had to try and educate more than one.

As you slide down the Banister of Life, may the splinters never be pointing the wrong way

Last edited by Rick Parker; 05-26-2012 at 03:17 AM..
Old 05-26-2012, 10:26 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Parker View Post
This appears to have been a car that was initially titled in CA. The VIN was assigned (blue label) as part of the registration process by the Hiway Patrol (part of their functions). All build slips, receipts, etc were presented and after they were convinced all was in order the VIN was assigned. Then the next step was to the Bureau of Automotive Repair (BAR aka smog referee) who then inspected the said receipts and verified the engine for what it was being represented as. In its earliest configuration (the smog program for kit cars) the engine year of manufacture, size, make, FI or carburetion, transmission and installed or required initial emissions systems were noted and embossed on the foil label and attached to the vehicle. Then the vehicle had to be smog checked bi-annually to maintain vehicle tags. At a minimum it had have a PCV fited or retrofitted and a closed air breather system plumbed to the a valve cover and into the base of the carburetor. This was a REAL BIG deal for those of us with kit cars in the late 80's and later until the current SB100 (California) regulations allowed us to install earlier engines as they were originally configured without the subsequent necessary smog inspections. Without this label you were dead in the water. I always dreaded having to go get the car smog checked every 2 years when the tags were due, because not all of the smog stations were up on the requirements for the kit cars and they always had their own interpretation of what they were. I was grateful to find a young fellow who had a soft spot for High Performance cars and owned a smofg inspection shop. Until then I had to try and educate more than one.
Rick, the OP got what he wanted (that it is a LA Exotic) and it is now for sale on Ebay, go figure

First time Cobra buyers-READ THIS
Old 11-28-2017, 08:57 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Me Too

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmustang View Post
Rick, the OP got what he wanted (that it is a LA Exotic) and it is now for sale on Ebay, go figure
I also got what I wanted, this thread identified my cars origins also, Many thanks to everyone who contributed to this thread.