Club Cobra Gas - N Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > General Discussion > Club Cobra Introduction Forum (introduce yourself)

Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree26Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-28-2021, 05:57 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Cobra -1st buy

Hi,

I'm a long time enthusiast & looking to make my first purchase ASAP. I would love some advice.

I'm looking at a 1998 Everett-Morrison Cobra. It's listed as recently completed with less than 500 miles. Paint & exterior recently finished & looks great. Engine starts & runs great, sounds great, but haven't driven yet because of the weather.

How can I tell if there has been more mileage put on the engine & if it is really a new engine, and if its been sitting mostly over the past 20 years, what are the risks with the engine & tranny? It has a small oil leak which appear to be off the passenger side rear valve cover gasket & leaking down to the oil pan. I can't quite see it, but I am concerned it could be somewhere else off the engine or rear main. If that was the case, what would it cost to repair.

Any advice one E-M quality?

The engine is listed as a 383 stroker & claims 500 hp. Without a dyno, can I even be sure what the hp is?

Their is a 6 speed trans, not sure of the gearing. I haven't seen many Cobras with a 6 speed. Why? What would be my concerns with getting a 6 speed vs. the 5 speeds?

Would love to buy the car, but don't want to end up putting another $10k into to fix the motor or trans. I'm not opposed to putting money in, just don't want to miss any major items.

Tires, rims, & outside looks new. The seller has mentioned to check the alignment & comments I may need to get an alignment done. Sounds like a red flag, but not sure if he knows it needs. The seller is the second owner & said he picked it up unfinished & comepleted out tuning the engine & finished the paint.

Any other recommendations on what to look out for, frame looks pretty good.

Thank you for the feedback.
Old 10-29-2021, 02:59 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: E-M 427 Top Oiler stroked to 482 by KC, Stage 2 heads, a Quikfuel and Voila, 640 hp
Neutral     

I have an E-M a little older. Mine has a big block with a 4 spd. I'm biased but I think this car is every bit as good quality wise as any ERA or Contemporary. I've owned it since 2005. The fiberglass is like a bank vault. There is no way to see inside the engine but at least have a compression test done, look at the plugs and check the oil. I'm thinking you just need to drive it and worry about a refresh if it's absolutely necessary. I wish I had a 6 speed as all I do is row the shifter at 40 miles an hour with the gear ratio of the top loader.
If the price is right buy it and welcome to the madness.
PNW 1 likes this.

Douglas Adams - Hitchhiker's guide to the Galaxy
Old 10-29-2021, 04:04 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary, FE, Tremec TKO 600
Neutral     

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW 1 View Post
Hi,

I'm a long time enthusiast & looking to make my first purchase ASAP. I would love some advice.

I'm looking at a 1998 Everett-Morrison Cobra. It's listed as recently completed with less than 500 miles. Paint & exterior recently finished & looks great. Engine starts & runs great, sounds great, but haven't driven yet because of the weather.

How can I tell if there has been more mileage put on the engine & if it is really a new engine, and if its been sitting mostly over the past 20 years, what are the risks with the engine & tranny? It has a small oil leak which appear to be off the passenger side rear valve cover gasket & leaking down to the oil pan. I can't quite see it, but I am concerned it could be somewhere else off the engine or rear main. If that was the case, what would it cost to repair.

The engine is listed as a 383 stroker & claims 500 hp. Without a dyno, can I even be sure what the hp is?

Their is a 6 speed trans, not sure of the gearing. I haven't seen many Cobras with a 6 speed. Why? What would be my concerns with getting a 6 speed vs. the 5 speeds?

Would love to buy the car, but don't want to end up putting another $10k into to fix the motor or trans. I'm not opposed to putting money in, just don't want to miss any major items.

Tires, rims, & outside looks new. The seller has mentioned to check the alignment & comments I may need to get an alignment done. Sounds like a red flag, but not sure if he knows it needs. The seller is the second owner & said he picked it up unfinished & comepleted out tuning the engine & finished the paint.

Forgive me if this sounds harsh, as I certainly don't mean it to come off that way. However it sounds to me like you're perhaps jumping into this purchase too quickly without enough knowledge to really know what youre buying.

The only way to really know anything about the engine is through receipts. Who built it and when? You say a 383 stroker. More often than not, a stroker engine measuring 383 cu. in. is a small block Chevy. I'm not about to try to start a Ford vs. Chevy debate, that can go on forever. What's not debatable is that a Cobra with a Chevy engine usually carries a very significant price discount. Is this in fact a Chevy engine? Without a build sheet from the builder, there is absolutely no way to know what this engine is. For all you know it could be a junkyard engine with a fresh coat of spray paint on the outside. All you have is the sellers word on what it is.

You mention that it's a 1998 car. Was it built in 1998? If so what do all the rubber compnents look like? Rubber degrades over time even when just sitting. Check out all the rubber seals, gaskets, suspension bushings, etc careflully. How about the tires? They may look good visually but how old are they? There should be date codes on the tires. Why did he drive the car 500 miles yet it still needs an alignment? Why didn't he get that done? That's usuallly one of the first things done when a car is completed. That's concerning. Does the seller even know for sure what he's selling? If he doesn't know, how can you possibly know what you're buying?

A 6 speed transmission is usually a good thing, what transmissiion is it? What clutch is in it? It sounds to me like you may need to learn more about Cobras in general before you start to learn more about this particular car. You mention you want to buy this car ASAP. I would suggest you slow down and learn more about Cobras before you buy this or any other Cobra. Lots of red flags here.
PNW 1 likes this.
Old 10-29-2021, 05:28 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Neutral     

Quote:
Originally Posted by 767Jockey View Post
Forgive me if this sounds harsh, as I certainly don't mean it to come off that way. However it sounds to me like you're perhaps jumping into this purchase too quickly without enough knowledge to really know what youre buying.

The only way to really know anything about the engine is through receipts. Who built it and when? You say a 383 stroker. More often than not, a stroker engine measuring 383 cu. in. is a small block Chevy. I'm not about to try to start a Ford vs. Chevy debate, that can go on forever. What's not debatable is that a Cobra with a Chevy engine usually carries a very significant price discount. Is this in fact a Chevy engine? Without a build sheet from the builder, there is absolutely no way to know what this engine is. For all you know it could be a junkyard engine with a fresh coat of spray paint on the outside. All you have is the sellers word on what it is.

You mention that it's a 1998 car. Was it built in 1998? If so what do all the rubber compnents look like? Rubber degrades over time even when just sitting. Check out all the rubber seals, gaskets, suspension bushings, etc careflully. How about the tires? They may look good visually but how old are they? There should be date codes on the tires. Why did he drive the car 500 miles yet it still needs an alignment? Why didn't he get that done? That's usuallly one of the first things done when a car is completed. That's concerning. Does the seller even know for sure what he's selling? If he doesn't know, how can you possibly know what you're buying?

A 6 speed transmission is usually a good thing, what transmissiion is it? What clutch is in it? It sounds to me like you may need to learn more about Cobras in general before you start to learn more about this particular car. You mention you want to buy this car ASAP. I would suggest you slow down and learn more about Cobras before you buy this or any other Cobra. Lots of red flags here.
767Jockey gave good advise.

Take note, and other may disagree, look at the date code on the tires.
Tires have a life limit even if the tread is excellent. If the date code
shows older then 5 years, expect other unseen issues. I have found
in many cases owners willing to ignore tires will shrug on other service
issues as well. It also provides some help to validate claims of vehicle
use and completion date.

If you don't know how to read a date code look here.

https://danthetireman.com/blog/artic...t-numbers-mean
PNW 1 likes this.
Old 10-29-2021, 05:47 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Neutral     

Quote:
Hi,

Remember when you were young, and just learning to cross the road.

Stop, look, listen

Don't rush in to the purchase, there are plenty of cobra replicas on the market.
Don't get caught up in the hype of high horsepower, a Cobra is unlike any other car you have owned, and 200HP is enough to get you killed in one quite easily.

Click the link in my signature below, and read the FAQ I wrote years ago (reposted from time to time)

As you have already done so with your opening post, do not feel afraid of asking questions, and guidance, that is what this web site was based on when it was originally created. Our members are from all walks of life, and all makes and models are present.

Again, take your time, if you are not certain of what you are looking at, take someone along who is.

Hope you find this helpful.

Bill S.
PNW 1 likes this.

First time Cobra buyers-READ THIS
Old 10-29-2021, 06:44 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Looking to buy
Neutral     

Two comments....one, I would not get too wrapped up in how many hp you have. Does it feel good and drive well?

As for a six speed my cobra has one and the gear ratios are so close together it seems I am shifting all the time. If starting from scratch I'd consider a four or at least a five speed.
PNW 1 likes this.
Old 10-29-2021, 07:41 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RCR GT 40 & 1966 Fairlane 390 5 speed
Not Ranked     
Smile

A 1998 model with 500 miles should be a Big Red Flag!

I've owed an E-M and worked on several others.

Go slow and check it over very carefully. Get someone who works on Cobras to look at it.

I've had guys bring me a Cobra he paid $38,000 and spend $10,000 to make it save to drive. And I work cheap.

You will spend money on things you want to change but items like brakes, rear end, suspension, motor or tranny are not things you expect to repair or replace if you paid a premium price for the car.

This cars sounds like one built to flip.

We had a local guy that did that with Cobras. He sold a lot of problems for good money.
PNW 1 likes this.
Old 10-29-2021, 07:54 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX4005LA, Roush 427IR
Neutral     

Yeah, I agree with the words of caution. Slow down and do some more homework. Something that old that is just now being finished out probably has some kind of story (that might be OK, e.g., an estate, but you still want to know.) The engine seems odd too.
PNW 1 likes this.
Old 10-29-2021, 07:56 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Neutral     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwight View Post
This cars sounds like one built to flip.

We had a local guy that did that with Cobras. He sold a lot of problems for good money.
Yep, lots of that, not just in Cobras.
Dwight and PNW 1 like this.
Old 10-29-2021, 09:28 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 427 manowar forged crank roller rockers . BIG CAM.
Neutral     

I would just like to say be prepared to have to do some little things to the car. check for proper paperwork! Biggest problem you going to have is getting it registered. and listen to what some of the others have told you.one more thing if you decide to make the purchase welcome to the madness.
PNW 1 likes this.
Old 10-29-2021, 10:59 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Pacific Roadster, 347 cu.in. 5-speed
Neutral     

Are you in the Pacific Northwest ? If so I will be able to help look the EM over, Plus Brent (EM-0785) has completely restored his EM, in the last 3years, and could be a Huge Help. PM me if you need our help, Cheers Tom.
Dwight, jknich and PNW 1 like this.
Old 10-29-2021, 12:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Neutral     

So here's another take on this.

Do you want to drive the car or "restore" it? Note that restoration in almost all of the cases of Cobra kits isn't really restoring at all - but fixing someone else's badly built kit.

Cobras are tinkerer's cars. There's always something to do. But putting 10K into a car that is really a messed up kit isn't spending money wisely. Unless of course you are more motivated by tinkering than driving. Some people really like tinkering.

Consider taking that 10K with your budget and buy a sorted out Superformance or other well built car.

This means spending some time looking for the right car. Buying a Cobra is not an impulse purchase. Too many things to go wrong.
Dwight, eschaider and PNW 1 like this.
Old 10-29-2021, 04:43 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2291, Whipple Blown & Injected 4V ModMotor
Neutral     

Lots of good advice in this thread OP. Something to remember and several of the guys have touched on this from varying perspectives;
  • Receipts only show what was bought.
  • Receipts might show how well it was assembled, predicated on who built it,
  • How well the engine and car were maintained is more difficult to establish,
  • Current condition of the car is essentially a visual and driving check point,
  • How the engine was treated can be estimated with some diagnostic tools
  • Diagnostic tools only provide estimations,
  • Disassembly and inspection provide answers
Something else to keep in mind is that the majority of Cobra owners farm out their engine building. The use shops like Blykins and Kraft and sometimes backyard amateurs because engine building is not one of their strengths, only a hobby. This stuff is not like doing the Briggs & Stratton on your Dad's lawn mower when you were 10. The charlatans out there will provide you with a special type of headache — and spend a lot of your money for it.

Tony's (and most everyone else's) advise is excellent and you will be farther ahead, spend less money and get much closer to your desired outcome if you embrace it.

Ed
Dwight and PNW 1 like this.

Help them do what they would have done if they had known what they could do.
Old 10-31-2021, 12:59 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Thanks for all of the feedback. The guy is tryin to sell the car on a quick flip, but the price may still be right. There are several more things I have to negotiate. A couple of the gauges are not connected, tach, speedometer, but the oil pressure, oil temp, water temp, volts are working. Additionally, the wiring for the lights is not connected.
Went for a ride, & it was pretty solid.

Basically, I think I have a OK build with some work to do to finish up the kit for maybe around 30k. engine & tranny seem fine, paint is new, but need to put carpet in the cabin & trunk, connect the lights, finish the dash & 2 gauges, weather striping, and inside door panels. All part are included.

Engines is a 383 and looks to be completed in 2016 with a Holley 750 cfm carb with vette brakes & Tremec T56 trans. The seller has pretty much all of the receipts and build book. Can't tell if anyone built the engine, so he may have built on his own. Guess I have a little more thinking to do or time to get off the pot.
Old 10-31-2021, 01:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

How difficult and timely would it be to complete the light wiring?
Old 10-31-2021, 01:54 PM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     

Quote:
How difficult and timely would it be to complete the light wiring?
The question is like asking what shade of blue the sky is over my head vs that of yours

No offense, but if you have to ask a question like this, you may be over your head for this specific project as there are no standards to any used, unfinished, kit car build. Why, simple, you just don't know what is and is not needed, nor do you know if anything was done correctly. Unless you do, expect to tear the car down and start the build from a rolling chassis with the body off.

Me personally, if offered the car at 30K, I'd walk away, and I've handled many such unfinished projects while I still owned my body shop. You'll spend more in the long run to get it safely on the road than if you had saved and spent the extra 10K for a car that was already road worthy.

Bill S.

First time Cobra buyers-READ THIS
Old 10-31-2021, 02:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmustang View Post
No offense, but if you have to ask a question like this, you may be over your head for this specific project as there are no standards to any used, unfinished, kit car build.
That is exactly what was going through my mind when I was reading it. It's the same question about "how much is a Rolls Royce" A: If you have to ask you can't afford it.

Quote:
Why, simple, you just don't know what is and is not needed, nor do you know if anything was done correctly. Unless you do, expect to tear the car down and start the build from a rolling chassis with the body off.

Me personally, if offered the car at 30K, I'd walk away, and I've handled many such unfinished projects while I still owned my body shop. You'll spend more in the long run to get it safely on the road than if you had saved and spent the extra 10K for a car that was already road worthy.

Bill S.
Second time this advice ahs been given... Take the money for the unknown and the money you think you'd put in (which is probably off by 1/2) and just buy a nice finished sorted out roller-based car from a known builder.

My dad, whose wisdom wasn't obvious at the time, once told me that "every used car is used for a reason".
eschaider and Alfa02 like this.

Last edited by twobjshelbys; 10-31-2021 at 02:42 PM..
Old 10-31-2021, 02:43 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

383 is not a usual Ford displacement. What kind of engine is it??? If it is a GM then you're already in negative territory.
hauss likes this.
Old 10-31-2021, 06:35 PM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Pacific Roadster, 347 cu.in. 5-speed
Not Ranked     

PNW1, If it's that Black one with white stripes on CL with a 383 Chevy, and Corvette (C-4?) chassis. I believe I would stay the hell a way from that thing, The Body is way too narrow for the chassis. I could go on & on. It was (IMPO) or is a Pig with lipstick. The only thing I see is a nice paint job, on a (Maybe) EM body. This is a much better buy. again IMPO https://seattle.craigslist.org/skc/c...401120646.html

Last edited by Alfa02; 10-31-2021 at 06:49 PM..
Old 10-31-2021, 07:38 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfa02 View Post
PNW1, If it's that Black one with white stripes on CL with a 383 Chevy, and Corvette (C-4?) chassis. I believe I would stay the hell a way from that thing, The Body is way too narrow for the chassis. I could go on & on. It was (IMPO) or is a Pig with lipstick. The only thing I see is a nice paint job, on a (Maybe) EM body. This is a much better buy. again IMPO https://seattle.craigslist.org/skc/c...401120646.html
A Cobra on a Corvette chassis is no more a Cobra than an kit built on a Fiero is a Ferrari.

You can do much better for the money
Alfa02 likes this.