Club Cobra GasN Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > General Discussion > Club Cobra Introduction Forum (introduce yourself)

Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-04-2012, 03:41 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default New Prospective Owner

Hello all,

I would like to make my introduction here in hopes to learn a few things about these cars and the various kits available. First let me explain a bit about myself, and why I plan to build a cobra.

Some of my earliest memories involve cars. My father and I have always had a lot of things in common, but our love of and passion for cars trumps that of anything else. My father is/was a muscle car guy as he was just around driving age/teenager age right in the middle of the 60's. He always appreciated everything from American muscle, to European, to Japanese however, and I think very much the same way. As long as it is fun to drive, we like it! One car has always stood out from the crowd though. That car is the 427 Cobra. My dad has always loved them, always been super excited any time we see one (which isn't that rare in these parts honestly), and just plain lusted over them for as long as I can remember. The only problem is, he has never really considered himself in a position to buy one or never considered himself to have the skills to build one I guess. Maybe a combination of those things and the fact that my mother never would have allowed it (she is very practical). However, things have changed.

I am probably younger than most here. I come in at the ripe old age of 23. I am a mechanical engineer by education and by nature I think. I have always had good intuition for all things mechanical, and I have plenty of experience by now with automotive fabrication, swapping engines, forced induction (current project is an oldschool Audi with a goal [to finish in the next few months] 800 awhp and 11k RPM turbo monster), standalone engine management and tuning, etc. I even know a bit about fiberglass work from my short time in the wind turbine industry. For those reasons, I feel confident in my ability to complete a cobra project. That only leaves the money side of things.

Because I worked very hard in school and used all of the resources I could, I landed a great job in the petroleum industry. Good enough to allow me to afford to complete one of these comfortably while still saving the majority of my salary. The only negative is that I have limited free time. I live in Saudi Arabia for 2/3 of the year, but I have entire months off at a time when I can either travel, or work on projects. Either way, I don't see this as something that would stop me from embarking on this project. Most of all, this project is something I feel passionate about, and something that I value so much just because it is a way for me to spend time with my dad and because I can help him (and me!) realize his ultimate dream.

Anyway, I could go on and on... I'll try and cut it short though. On to the good stuff (maybe more interesting to you than my story)... the cobra stuff. So my father and I are kinda quasi-purists. We would prefer the shape of the car to be as original as possible, but if this has to be sacrificed a little in the name of a better chassis design (aka FFR), then we would choose the better-engineered and better-handling setup any day. The other main consideration for us is engine choice. We tend to scoff at 302 builds because, well... we feel that it just isn't right in a 427 body (no offense in tended here! this is just our preference). There is nothing wrong with a small block, but if we had it our way, we tend to think that a screamer small block in a 289 body would be more appropriate!

HOWEVER, we are not stuck to the idea of a 427. For us, it there is a very deep connection with the sound of the car that has to be right. Maybe not entirely accurate to the 427, but it just has to be fitting. This means no modular motors for us. No modern bs. We get a good kick out of a lumpy idle (big cam), so most contemporary motors get the boot because of this. An ls could be made to sound almost OK, but that isn't quite right. A 427 would certainly get it done, but the value vs. performance ratio is something that we need to look into more. I don't really think it is quite there. Now I'm going to get a little crazy here... I wouldn't rule out something along the lines of a Winston Cup engine (Yay! Florida emissions laws! [or lack thereof])... The performance and the sound factors are certainly there. It has been done, and by a friend of a friend to boot, so it may be more plausible to happen than you'd think Anyway, this is something that needs to be discussed when I come home in a few weeks.

Cliffs notes: I love cobras and so does my dad. We would like to build one and only have some loose criteria set so far. This includes:

-No small blocks (unless NASCAR )
-has to sound good!
-performance over correctness (no ladder frame please!)

Thanks for reading (sorry for the majorly long, maybe boring, first post), and I look forward to learning here. Any advice, comments, or recommendations are welcome.

-Chris

Last edited by loxx; 09-04-2012 at 09:16 AM..
Old 09-04-2012, 07:53 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hi,

I've got nothing techinal to add to your post - but I'm a young bloke too (27) and funnnily enough starting a 302 build! Just put the deposit down on the car today. I'd like to go bigger but emmissions laws are strict over here, so I figure a supercharger or stroker kit + heads intake ect will bring the car up to speed. After getting it licenced, of course.

Anyway good luck with your research, and I hope your plans to build one work out one day soon Maybe we can start an owners under 40 minority section!!
Old 09-04-2012, 09:11 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Congrats on the deposit! I didn't mean any harm by the 302 comment by the way! I know a lot of the builds here are on a budget and the 302 is the most cost-effective method. It is just a preference for me and the pops. Just about anything in a cobra is fun I think. A stroker and supercharge certainly makes it good. Just make sure to get a nasty cam

I like the under 40 minority section idea haha. Thanks for the welcome. By the way, I do plan on starting the planning now and hopefully making a purchase next year. I would like to try and limit big purchases to one per year if I can help it and the Audi work is this year's big spending. I'd say I could definitely finish a cobra for what I'm spending in parts on das Audi, so next year it is.

Last edited by loxx; 09-04-2012 at 09:15 AM..
Old 09-04-2012, 09:29 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Oh and one more thing... what do you guys think of this cobra? For me, it is 100% to my taste. I wouldn't mind modeling a build like this aside from some power train differences. Anyone have any idea what the make of this one is? This is a good enough balance of performance and originality for me. The interior is amazing too, I'm guessing custom.

Old 09-04-2012, 09:44 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Backdraft.
Old 09-04-2012, 10:12 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Ah, I believe I saw one of these at Barret Jackson once. I was quite impressed. What is the consensus of these around here? Their factory is basically a stone's throw from home... so I guess I know where I'm going when I get home!
Old 09-04-2012, 10:32 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR track car, SL-C track car
Not Ranked     

Welcome aboard.
I think the best thing to do is spend a lot of time here using the search function. Read all you can about the original cars, that may help you finalize your plans.

The next thing is to check with your insurance company. I could not find any carrier who would allow anyone under 25 to drive one of these cars.

If the car won't be done before you are 25, then it won't be an issue.

Best wishes and keep us posted.
Old 09-04-2012, 10:46 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Thank you, I certainly will search (as I have been). I look forward to learning more and more. I'll see about insurance. I have two of my own USAA policies and they tend to be AWESOME in every way. I will be 24 in a few months though, which means I'd probably be 25 by the time it gets finished. I am curious though, so I will see what they say and report back.
Old 09-04-2012, 07:45 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #2608, Roush 427SR T-W
Not Ranked     

That is one beautiful Backdraft Cobra. We are developing an Excel spreadsheet of Cobra manufacturers and engines. I have it on Google Drive and you can access the spreadsheet at:

https://docs.google.com/open?id=0BzDEWrGReQaQRXhNMWpHTmFRQTg

The hope is we can collect all the informaiton about the various manufacturers and share it to provide easy access to our favorite hobby. The intent is to keep it unbiased and factual with few opinions.

Please download the spreadsheet and take a look. If you have any updates or want to include any new criteria, make the changes to the spreadsheet and email it to me at WFridrich@comcast.net. Most of the time I get the link messed up. Hopefully this one works!

Thanks,

https://docs.google.com/open?id=0BzD...XhNMWpHTmFRQTg
Old 09-05-2012, 11:48 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Ward, thank you for the great reply. I did come across that spreadsheet when I was doing a bit of research, but haven't had a chance to look over it yet. I plan to as soon as I get a chance! I will be glad to add to it if/when I learn more.

I have two concerns currently... so far I am between an FFR and a Backdraft. This may change, but the FFR was recommended by an old professor of mine who has built four of them along with three different brands of cobra kits (we share many of the same values when it comes to performance and engineering) and Backdraft is so close to home (and also provide a really nicely finished car. So my concerns are:

1) I'm not sure if I would rather build a kit like the FFR or buy a roller like Backdraft. This will depend heavily on both my and my dad's time and the time frame in which we'd like to complete the kit.

2) I am concerned with using a ladder-style chassis... I would love to drive both and feel the differences. I am a sucker for having the best if the ends justify the means, but maybe a properly set-up ladder is alright. I'll be doing plenty of research in this regard!
Old 09-05-2012, 08:53 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR track car, SL-C track car
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by loxx View Post
Any advice, comments, or recommendations are welcome.
If time is limited I'd recommend a roller.

A ground up build is really rewarding, but won't be as much fun if it takes 5 years.