Club Cobra Keith Craft Motorsports  

Go Back   Club Cobra > General Discussion > Club Cobra Introduction Forum (introduce yourself)

Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-28-2012, 10:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #472, Previous owner of ERA #677 427, ERA 289 FIA-USRRC Street
Not Ranked     
Default New Guy: 427 Street

Hi...I have been around for a couple of months now. I bought my car October 24th. I have a few pictures of my car floating around already that many have seen. I wanted a Cobra in 1984 when I was 14, but it was not in my budget

Skip ahead 28 years, I finally bought one. The Gumball Rally was always my favorite Cobra, so I was partial to a blue street car...no roll bar, no speed jacks, no stripes. I was not against the hood scoop, which I do like, but I also like the smooth elegance of the straight hood. I like the muscular look of the side pipes, but I did not want the loud volume in my ear.

It is ERA 677, and the original owner bought it in 2000 and took several years to build it as accurately as possible. As a vintage car collector and avid racer, he was very particular on the engine. He installed an authentic 1964 427FE...built by Engine Systems in San Diego, studded block (all ARP), Dove Aluminum flowed, ported and polished heads, matched ported/polished medium riser intake, Holley 750, Lemans Rods, adjustable rockers mounted on pedestals, aluminum and blueprinted water pump, Aviad 12qt oil pan, oiling system is enlarged and blue printed...that is about all of the info that was given to me...about 500HP. Smith gauges, full leather interior, and I replaced the side-exiting exhaust pipes with correct rear-exiting full 2.5" exhaust (to be ceramic coated black next year). The car was painted by Connecticut Custom Car. It has the upgraded rear end and a 4spd Toploader.

It had chrome valve covers on it, but I replaced them with the aluminum "427 Cobra" covers. I am not sure which I prefer. I also replaced the Stelling & Helling air cleaner with a 14" air cleaner (K&N element with a drop base). To mute the engine bay and keep it more authentic, I also bought black MSD 8.5mm wires and cap (winter project).

These are my quick pics...some from my phone and some on my camera. I hope to find a nice place to shoot pictures of it next year. I will also re-do the video with either some revs or driving. I think I was too close with my inexpensive Flip video. It is very deep and throaty in person. I hope this was not too long, and I hope to contribute to the Club. If you have any questions about my car, please contact me anytime. Thanks, Nick

Previous Engine set-up:

Current:

At a local show:

Exhaust video:

1966 ERA 427 Street Cobra - YouTube

Last edited by 427 Street; 12-29-2012 at 11:17 AM..
Old 12-28-2012, 10:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Nice! ERA's are one of my favorite replicas.
Larry
427 Street likes this.
Old 12-29-2012, 02:00 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: EM cobra, 450 inch sbc running a best ET of 9.14..so far..ALL MOTOR...approx 800 horse.............ERA with 482 FE..All Aluminum Engine
Send a message via Yahoo to Hotfingrs
Not Ranked     

Great looking car... I like the no stripe look and under car exhaust.
427 Street likes this.
Old 12-29-2012, 02:58 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance #1950, Roush 402R, TKO600
Not Ranked     

Nick
That's one sweet ride you have!
427 Street likes this.
Old 12-29-2012, 04:20 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #472, Previous owner of ERA #677 427, ERA 289 FIA-USRRC Street
Not Ranked     

Thanks everyone!
Old 12-29-2012, 08:04 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

I see you have a PCV running to the back plate of the intake manifold from your brake booster port on the carb; that's good. But I see that on the driver's side valve cover you have a cap that does not allow breathing. Is your breather over on the passenger side valve cover? (Which I can not see). You have to have some place for the air to be drawn in.
Old 12-29-2012, 08:11 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

... and do I only see one throttle return spring from your throttle shaft lever to the black brace on your intake manifold? Having only one spring is high-risk.
Old 12-29-2012, 08:27 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Cobra Auto Works body, Ron Godell Racecars chassis, 1989 Mustang GT 5.0 HO (converted to carb), W/C T-5, 3.73's in a Ford 9" Traction-Loc.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
I see you have a PCV running to the back plate of the intake manifold from your brake booster port on the carb; that's good. But I see that on the driver's side valve cover you have a cap that does not allow breathing. Is your breather over on the passenger side valve cover? (Which I can not see). You have to have some place for the air to be drawn in.
Patrick, help me out here. It was always my understanding that the PCV (Positive Crankcase Ventilation) valve was designed to vent pressure from inside the engine that was a result of combustion gasses bypassing the rings, a common and unavoidable process. I was unaware that any form of fresh air intake was necessary...in fact, as I understand it, the PVC system requires pressure in the crankcase and a vent could prohibit pressure from building.

Please set me straight on the function of the PVC valve/system....

Thanks!

Cheers!

Dugly

No names were changed to protect the innocent!
Old 12-29-2012, 08:31 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Cobra Auto Works body, Ron Godell Racecars chassis, 1989 Mustang GT 5.0 HO (converted to carb), W/C T-5, 3.73's in a Ford 9" Traction-Loc.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by 427 Street View Post
Thanks everyone!
Add me to the list of Cobraphiles who is absolutely drooling over your replica!!!

I have always wanted a Hurricane replica, but every time I see an ERA I am so blown away by the differences that I believe it might well be better to save up for a while longer and get the ERA. They are absolutely GORGEOUS!!!!

Cheers, and good luck!

Dugly
427 Street likes this.

No names were changed to protect the innocent!
Old 12-29-2012, 09:03 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by YerDugliness View Post
Patrick, help me out here.
You gotta have an entry point for the fresh air draw on a PCV system, whether it be "open" or "closed." You don't just rely on the blowby pressure. Here's a decent write-up on PCV systems PCV Systems - Google Books and I think we've had at least a dozen good threads on them here as well.
Old 12-29-2012, 09:24 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SAI; '68 427FESO Southern Automotive
Not Ranked     

That is absolutely gorgeous! The side exhaust may not be period correct for this car but it certainly looks fine. I like your current engine look much better.
427 Street likes this.
Old 12-29-2012, 11:12 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
I have 2 Motorcraft breathers on it...I used those as temporary caps/dust covers until the breathers were shipped to me...keen eye!

Last edited by 427 Street; 12-29-2012 at 12:34 PM..
Old 12-29-2012, 11:14 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tutosnake View Post
That is absolutely gorgeous! The side exhaust may not be period correct for this car but it certainly looks fine. I like your current engine look much better.
Thank you...I think once the black wires and cap are in place, it will have that muted look that I prefer...red wires are a bit custom hot rod to me. I would like to keep it more original in appearance.
Tutosnake likes this.

Last edited by 427 Street; 12-29-2012 at 12:34 PM..
Old 12-29-2012, 11:21 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Not that it isn't really cool the way it is but have you thought about going to dual quad carbs? They would be correct for the look and they look awesome!
Larry
Old 12-29-2012, 12:00 PM
Full Blown Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Premier Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 427 S/C, Twin Paxton 511 FE
Not Ranked     

BEAUTIFUL car, 427_Street!

I like your new pipes much better too, btw.
Old 12-29-2012, 12:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMH View Post
Not that it isn't really cool the way it is but have you thought about going to dual quad carbs? They would be correct for the look and they look awesome!
Larry

I actually did think about it....I was not sure if it was worth the investment since the car is running so well.

Any advice on a dual-quad intake and carb set-up?

It sure would look correct...and cool
Old 12-29-2012, 01:10 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Take a look at Carls Ford Parts. They have a 65 setup for sale right now.
Pricey yes but just too cool
Larry

Old 12-29-2012, 01:59 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BRG ERA street car w/428 PI, Sunburst wheels, undercar exhaust, original interior, no philips head screws!
Not Ranked     

427:

Every person has their own "level" of craziness they want to get to with their car. I have done a TON of research on the street cars and would be willing to help with any questions. I'm probably a bit over the top but I can't change that!

Just from the quick look at your pics the gas cap is not street nor the wheels. Most street cars did not have the dual quad setup that I have seen but this can be argued. It comes down to personal preference.

Again here to help not pic apart.
Old 12-29-2012, 03:05 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

From the World Registry:

"The first approx. 100 street cars received 427 low-rise engines with 2x4V carburetors on aluminum intakes. The next batch of cars (CSX3200 and later) received 428 engines. These were Thunderbird Police Interceptor units with 1x4V carburetors on cast iron intakes which were painted blue.....After CSX3306, the 427 engines were once again used. The all had 1x4V carburetors on aluminum medium-rise intakes....all general approximations for serial number....As far as valve covers, Shelby American basically used whatever they had available. Most of the 427s used chrome pent-roof valve covers and most of the 428 engines had finned, cast aluminum "Cobra LeMans" valve covers."

As far as the wheels, I think it was the previous owners wish to make it look better by having the tires fill the wheels wells. The sunbursts are nice, but obviously do not grip and handle as well or fill the wells up. Original sunbursts are also very fragile and not real practical. I would be open to a reproduction sunbursts.

P. 471 on the Registry gives the wheel history. "The Street cars would use 7.5" Halibrands on all four corners..." They did not have enough of them though..."so, 6-spoke Halibrands were used"....then a combination of wheels were used...finally the Sunburst was developed by Peter Brock and their were no supply issues after that.

And as with the gas cap, so many Cobras were personalized over the years. The Gumball Rally car(s) had hood scoops/extra scoops, sidepipes and other mods.

Thanks for everyone's input. Nick
Old 12-29-2012, 03:10 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

BTW, 428, I LOVE your car. I have seen pictures of it on the ERA site/ERA Registry site many times. I ALMOST bought Pete's green 427 Street, which is very accurate as you know. You have one of my favorite looking street cars.

If you have any knowledge of repro Sunbursts in the future, I would love to find a set. My intention, since I was young, was to always have a replica of the Gumball car. I will not do the side pipes or the hood scoop, but maybe I can at least get the look with a wheel change. I would like to get a bit more patina/authenticity with a wheel change....or even keep my wheels and do a tire change like Avons.