Club Cobra GasN Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > General Discussion > Club Cobra Introduction Forum (introduce yourself)

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
June 2024
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-04-2013, 04:24 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance, 427SO
Not Ranked     
Default Old Guy...New Member

Good Afternoon All,

I am a new member to this site, but a long time lurker. I have been lusting for a Cobra for 50 years (yes, literally, since I was sixteen !) and I have finally reached a point in my life where I think I can actually make the dream materialize and I realize that time is running out, so I am on a quest to make it happen. I have many questions and figured that with all of the experience and expertise on this site it was time for me to participate. Yesterday I finally drove one for the very first time (a Superformance with a 427 sideoiler). Great experience, but it has raised even more questions, so I intend to start picking some of the brains here.

I suppose one of my greatest shortcomings with this quest is my limited knowledge of high performance Ford engines. Throughout my life I have always been involved with Chevys so have been really trying to educate myself about the Fords. But I'm still kind of in that situation where "I don't know how much I don't know".

I suppose my first task here is to learn how best to utilize this site (any guideance is welcome) and then I'll be bombarding you all with questions

Thanks for having me,

Ted
Old 06-04-2013, 05:36 PM
Senior CC Premier Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX #4xxx with CSX 482; David Kee Toploader
Not Ranked     

Welcome! You are in the right place. Everything you need should be here and everyone is ready to help. The list of Ford FE builders and experts, as well as Cobra experts, is a long one. Just dive in and ask away through the Forum. You won't be ingnored (unless you go on a Chevy rant!)
Old 06-04-2013, 05:41 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2291, Whipple Blown & Injected 4V ModMotor
Not Ranked     

Welcome on board Ted. You will find more than a few grey hairs over here and like you some of us have waited a long time to get our Cobra.

I think you'll find great info, great people, good humor and a suitable amount of good natured ribbing. This is a great site for us and our cars.

Ed

Help them do what they would have done if they had known what they could do.
Old 06-04-2013, 06:05 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427 S/C W/Holmon Moody Original Nascar build #508 Iron Block/heads (C5AE-H) Bal/Blu 427 Sideoiler; 780 Holley Dbl. Pump; 4 Speed Top Loader; AP Racing Bks; IRS; 15" Trigo pins
Not Ranked     
Talking

Point one! You've been using the wrong automotive (bowtie) product for to many years. Remember: "chevy build motors. FORD, Builds Engines!" You must not have pushed that sideoiler ( if it realy was one) very hard or you would have know what it means to drive a true powerhouse engine!!. Finally if you've waited 50 years, wait a little longer; to look @ your options for a "AC". You can get a top of the line AC here, in the for sale section of this site for $40k (mabe less) to $150K ready to go!! IMO, the Top line AC Cobra's listed on this site will be 1.KMC 2.CSX 3.ERA 4.SPF & the rest in any order you chose. That doesn't mean there arn't other quality AC replica's listed; there are for sure! The more factory built they are, the better for (as a rule) you. So #1. Budget you have to spend: 2. BB or SB: 3. AC/coach or kit builder. 4. Planned use; race version, street version, or S/C version. Good luck with your search!

Welcome To The Addiction There IS NO Cure
Old 06-05-2013, 05:57 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 66 COBRA FE 427 /4SP. (HCS Coupe w/ 408 Stroker and TKO 600 -sold)
Send a message via AIM to Clois Harlan
Not Ranked     

Hi Ted,

I have always been a Ford guy and can tell you if you want to go with the FE style engines (352 -360-390-406-410-427-428) you will find plenty of help. Brent Lykins, Kieth Craft, George Anderson, Southern Automotive, and on and on have all proven themselves as reliable engine builders that can re-create your dream with the proper vintage power. If you want to go with a push rod engine in a small block those same guys can hook you up with your choice of hp and torque from a small block such as a 302 or 351 Windsor style engine.

The short of it is you have friends here that are more than willing to help with your build and your engine should you need help. Several of the guys have vested interests in their own products but I can tell you if your asking for help here many of the manufactures will offer their solution to your problem even though they didn't sell you their kit. We are a great community and we are all in it for a common goal.

So lets get started with the questions ...there is still time to get in some driving time in your new Cobra this summer.

Clois Harlan

"Let's roll"

"Be part of Something Good
......Leave Something Good Behind!"
from CD "Long Road Out of Eden"
Old 06-05-2013, 08:58 AM
Senior CC Premier Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX #4xxx with CSX 482; David Kee Toploader
Not Ranked     

Ted,
If you want to do some reading up to become with all the old Ford performance engines, there is an old book called "Ford Performance" by Pat Ganahl. I have had mine for years and still pull it out once in a while. I think it is still available on Amazon.
Good luck!
Old 06-05-2013, 08:35 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Well, first of all, thank all of you for the warm welcome. I certainly hope to become an official member of this fraternity.

I suppose in order for you folks to be able to help me, I should first let you know what some of my wants, intentions and limitations are. I would prefer to buy a good turnkey car but am not opposed to one that needs a little work to get it to where I want it. As a matter of fact, for me, half the fun with owning high performance cars is the tinkering, improving, etc. One very important factor for me is purchasing a currently registered California car (yes, I live in the Peoples Republic of Kalifornia ). I have studied the SB100 regulations and having dealt with our DMV many times over the years, I am pretty sure that trying to re-register an out of state "Special Construction
Vehicle" in this state will turn into a nightmare. They are already coming down on newly constructed kit Cobras. Anyway, I would prefer one with "cubic inches" whether in the form of an FE motor or one of the new small block 402 or 427 motors. I want a streetable engine that runs well on pump gas. I want an IRS car. My intentions for use are about 95% street and 5% autocross (not really looking to be competitive, just have some fun). I have a max budget of about $50K but of course like most people, would like to save as much as possible. Actually, what I REALLY want is a brand new turnkey CSX car for $10K

For the past couple of years I have been getting a lot more serious about this so have been investigating the various builders and have kind of picked what would be my first choices. First of all, the CSX and KMC cars are way beyond my budget. I like the ERA and SPF cars and possibly BDR.

O.K., for my first inquiry, I would like to hear opinions (maybe even actual facts ) about the 429/460 engines vs. the FE engines.

Also, the SPF I drove with the FE motor was quite a handfull to steer at very low speeds. Are there good solutions for this or do I need to just not whine and man-up ?

Silversmith,
Yes, the one I drove was a genuine sideoiler, and no, I didn't push it very hard. Just hard enough to fully understand the stories about not being able to reach the $100 bill on the dash

Bernica,
Thanks for the book info. I will be looking on Amazon in a few minutes.

Thanks again folks

Ted
Old 06-05-2013, 09:00 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2613 Titanium w/Black, Roush 402SR
Not Ranked     

Welcome to CC Ted! Where are you located? Depending on your location, your best bet is to try and link up with some fellow Cobra owners to check out the different cars and talk to the owners.

No stop signs, speed limit - Nobody's gonna slow me down - Like a wheel, gonna spin it
Old 06-06-2013, 03:12 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427 S/C W/Holmon Moody Original Nascar build #508 Iron Block/heads (C5AE-H) Bal/Blu 427 Sideoiler; 780 Holley Dbl. Pump; 4 Speed Top Loader; AP Racing Bks; IRS; 15" Trigo pins
Not Ranked     

Ted, if yo want BB power I would strongly suggest the 385 series engines. A 429 or 460 cid Ford. you can easly get 650 to 700+ hp for $12K or less; max rpm to 6,500 & all the Rush you would ever want. Parts are plentiful & cheap. Ok cheaper than FE builds I think I saw a couple of
AC's with 460's in the add section with CA. 100 cert's Take you time & look @ "Cobra Country want adds also. Many spf are SB's wich are fine also & many for less than 50K. & some ERA's as well. Good luck m8. If you are interested in a 460 engine build sheet just let us know!
Old 06-08-2013, 04:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Good Afternoon Once Again Gentlemen,

Well, I just got home from driving another SPF car with a 427 side oiler. The engine in this one had been professionally built in 2001 by a gentleman who built sprint cars for his living (he has since passed away). After talking with the owner and another gentleman (ex sprint car racer) who worked with the owner assembling the enginge, I actually feel pretty confident that it is a well built motor. BUT, one thing that was done during the engine build was installation of a 428 crankshaft (the current engine displacement is 456 cu.in.) The owner and the other gentleman said they really didn't remember if the crank was changed because it was bad or if it was done just to gain some displacement. The question I have for you folks is, does the 428 crank negate the value of having the 427SO engine ?