Club Cobra Keith Craft Motorsports  

Go Back   Club Cobra > General Discussion > Club Cobra Introduction Forum (introduce yourself)

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-30-2013, 09:41 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default CSX rebuild from Italy

Good morning to everybody!

I have acquired the incomplete CSX4802 from a very nice guy, and i am now in the long process of rebuilding it to exactly specs as when the kit was bought..

I am from Italy, and i have dreamed to own a Cobra since the first time i have seen it.. i still have the Cobra toy car of when i was 4years old.. :-)

I am a Uk classic car lover, i have owned Mga, restored a Jaguar E type and restoring some other little fiberglass specials of 50s and 60s..

I am writing here as a suggestion from the very nice guy i have bought the Cobra from (Bret) which he is also a member.

I have acquired the car without suspensions parts, so first of all i would like to put the car on his wheels. But i have a few questions:

1- which differential the CSX4000 uses as described "Shelby 3.54 differential"? i have done some research it seems the 4HU Salisbury XJS Jaguar unit, but dana44 internals..?
2- second is, where can i get one and if Shelby still have it for sale or if there is a dealer who i can ask for..

also, who sells original CSX hubs and mountings and rear suspension frames etc..? i have tried also to find a CSX4000 parts manual but nothing.. only the Era manual and little more..

many thanks for help!

Emanuel
Old 08-30-2013, 10:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham #684, 482FE, Mike Mccluskey build
Send a message via Skype™ to fordracing65
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by borchi1 View Post
Good morning to everybody!

I have acquired the incomplete CSX4802 from a very nice guy, and i am now in the long process of rebuilding it to exactly specs as when the kit was bought..

I am from Italy, and i have dreamed to own a Cobra since the first time i have seen it.. i still have the Cobra toy car of when i was 4years old.. :-)

I am a Uk classic car lover, i have owned Mga, restored a Jaguar E type and restoring some other little fiberglass specials of 50s and 60s..

I am writing here as a suggestion from the very nice guy i have bought the Cobra from (Bret) which he is also a member.

I have acquired the car without suspensions parts, so first of all i would like to put the car on his wheels. But i have a few questions:

1- which differential the CSX4000 uses as described "Shelby 3.54 differential"? i have done some research it seems the 4HU Salisbury XJS Jaguar unit, but dana44 internals..?
2- second is, where can i get one and if Shelby still have it for sale or if there is a dealer who i can ask for..

also, who sells original CSX hubs and mountings and rear suspension frames etc..? i have tried also to find a CSX4000 parts manual but nothing.. only the Era manual and little more..

many thanks for help!

Emanuel
Contact Kirkham Motorsports, Provo, Utah, USA...
Old 08-30-2013, 11:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

many thanks.. will do that and will post result!!
Old 08-30-2013, 11:01 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Welcome Emanuel!
Kirkham will have the 4HU you need as will Shelby American. Another and much cheaper route may be to use one from a Jag as you have found but it doesn't have the right mounting's in the casting. Nick Acton sells a bracket to adapt the jag unit to the Cobra chassis.

Kirkham Motorsports
http://www.actoncobra.com/
http://www.shelbyamerican.com/index.asp

Hope that helps!
Larry
Old 08-31-2013, 01:35 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AP 289FIA 'English' spec.
Not Ranked     

Welcome Emanuel,
You're in the right place for Cobra building information, and Larry's suggestion of Nick Acton as a source is a good one. If he doesn't have what you want, he'll know where to get it.
I note your comment on still having the toy Cobra from when you were four years old....a passion that's been there for a long time is definitely worth seeing through to fruition!
Ciao,
Glen
Old 08-31-2013, 02:16 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary CCX3117 427FE
Not Ranked     

Welcome Emanuel. I'm interested to know why you shipped the car without suspension. Did you have to do it this way so the car was just considered by your government to be car parts (rather than an actual car)?
Old 08-31-2013, 04:00 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 4772 old iron FE
Not Ranked     

Congrats and welcome aboard. The car was purchased minus suspension, that all went onto Bretts Kirkham.
The Shelby differential is similar to Jags but the housing has pinion mount bosses. All the parts you need for 4820 are readily available. I am putting 4772 back together from a worse condition than yours. You have a good starting point for your project, we'll be talking more about it I'm sure.
Old 08-31-2013, 06:48 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427 SC s/n 718, 428 FE
Neutral     

Glad to see you have your Cobra. There are many different sources for your parts, but what you will learn here on this forum will be invaluable to you. Almost all of your questions and problems have already been dealt with at one time or another and the members will be delighted to offer advice. Welcome and please post photos.
Old 08-31-2013, 10:35 AM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

"and restoring some other little fiberglass specials of 50s and 60s.. "

Paisano what specials do you have hidden away as you describe fiberglass specials?

I'm sure many on here can help you with the build stuff or get you in the right direction.
Old 08-31-2013, 12:56 PM
Senior CC Premier Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX #4xxx with CSX 482; David Kee Toploader
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickmate View Post
Congrats and welcome aboard. The car was purchased minus suspension, that all went onto Bretts Kirkham.
The Shelby differential is similar to Jags but the housing has pinion mount bosses. All the parts you need for 4820 are readily available. I am putting 4772 back together from a worse condition than yours. You have a good starting point for your project, we'll be talking more about it I'm sure.
Welcome and congrats! All you need is right here. Stick with Nick (Mickmate) or Kirkham and you will not be disappointed. Their advice and resources will prove invaluable to you. We are all always here as well.
Good luck!
Old 09-01-2013, 04:15 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Manythanks for the help guys, i am really impressed =)

I 'm happy i can share my car virus with you!

yes i have acquired 4802 (not 4820) as incomplete because it was stripped with parts to go in a Kirkham car.

I would like to have an original shelby differential, if possible and not incredibly expensive, so i can rebuild csx to exactly correct specifications, as per build sheet.

Regarding my specials, i have a rebodied tr4, a rebodied austin seven and a rare watling, all under rebuild.. looooong projects but hey, i need something to play with!

I have afforded the Cobra because i have sold my 4 years concours condition Mga 1500 roadster, nut and bolt, which was stunning but underpowered..

Will keep progress updated, now i am beginning to do a list of what needed to put the car on his wheels like hubs, brakes, axles, diff..

many thanks to all!
Old 09-01-2013, 05:10 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I don't know for sure but Kirkham may be the source for the Shelby differential. So either place would be Ok for purchase. I have one of Kirkham's differentials and it's really a work of art! I think he gets around $5000 USD for it new. Shelby may be more.

BTW, love the TR4! Beautiful sports car!
Larry
Old 09-01-2013, 05:14 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Sold - Shelby Cobra CSX6045, 468 ci all aluminum Shelby engine
Not Ranked     

Congratulations on your acquisition and good luck with the rebuild.

Does anyone else see the irony in this? After the discussions a few weeks ago claiming the Kirkham suspension components are superior the suspension components missing from this Shelby are now on a Kirkham.
cdnus likes this.
Old 09-01-2013, 05:58 PM
Senior CC Premier Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX #4xxx with CSX 482; David Kee Toploader
Not Ranked     

I am running Shelby 3:31 with a big block and a top-loader. No complaints.
Old 09-01-2013, 06:03 PM
Abnormal CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Don't think I'll be getting a Cobra for a long time... Do have '94 RX-7 R2.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al G View Post
Congratulations on your acquisition and good luck with the rebuild.

Does anyone else see the irony in this? After the discussions a few weeks ago claiming the Kirkham suspension components are superior the suspension components missing from this Shelby are now on a Kirkham.
Superior is in the eye of the beholder. If you want a lighter weight car that handles better, then you want the billet suspension. However if you want ORIGINAL style suspension for a more authentic replica, well then original would be superior in that case.

If you want to order a Kirkham with original style suspension (as opposed to their light weight billet aluminum suspension), Kirkham charges you $15k to upgrade to the original style suspension from the billet suspension.

So presumably if you wanted to get the original style suspension parts from Kirkham, it would cost you more than $15k.

Suppose you have both a used fiberglass bodied Shelby (that is apparently damaged) with the more original style suspension and a used aluminum bodied Kirkham. But what you really want is an aluminum bodied car with an original style suspension, you might be able to get the parts off the damaged Shelby more cheaply than buying an original style suspension from the Kirkhams (and considering you can sell the Kirkham billet suspension parts and what is left of the Shelby, that would also help defray the cost).

Last edited by 1ntCobra; 09-01-2013 at 06:06 PM.. Reason: ugh, change words, make sound better
Old 09-01-2013, 06:24 PM
Abnormal CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Don't think I'll be getting a Cobra for a long time... Do have '94 RX-7 R2.
Not Ranked     

And there is a market for very authentic Kirkham replicas. Have you ever heard of David Wagner? He builds some really nice Kirkhams. Here is a small block street car with original style suspension for $135k.

1964 Kirkham 1964 Shelby 289 Cobra Street Car - Kirkham Alum. body, Excellent Driver for sale: Anamera
Old 09-01-2013, 08:19 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al G View Post
I've also seen people walk right up to bears and bison to take pictures not worrying about the potential consequences of a very large animal attacking them just because they were close. Your point seems superfluous to me. Who knows what the true intentions were of the original owner. However, as pointed out, you can install original or the billet suspension in a Kirkham.

Personally, I wanted the lighter, stronger and better handling suspension offered by the billet aluminum. Others desire originality.
Old 09-01-2013, 10:56 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham #684, 482FE, Mike Mccluskey build
Send a message via Skype™ to fordracing65
Not Ranked     

And that right there fellas is why the Kirkham's are in the Shelby Registry...All this switching parts and sourcing from here and there make for a $300,000 Kit Car that nobody really knows what it is but the owner/owners down the road claims its' an original car from the 1960's to some dumb ass who has never seen a Cobra before and wants to buy one...

Last edited by fordracing65; 09-02-2013 at 01:35 AM.. Reason: spelling
Old 09-02-2013, 04:18 AM
Abnormal CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernica View Post
Welcome and congrats! All you need is right here. Stick with Nick (Mickmate) or Kirkham and you will not be disappointed. Their advice and resources will prove invaluable to you. We are all always here as well.
Good luck!
Emanuel,

Have you looked at Mickmate's website yet? I was just looking at his suspension and steering page. Mickmate Suspension Page

To quote part of the page: "Acton Custom makes all the suspension for coil over and leaf sprung suspension in traditional geometry and bushing materials or with modern adjustable heim jointed geometry and Energy Suspension urethane bushings."

Nick has a great reputation on this site and looks like he looks like he should be able to supply whatever you need.

Anyway, it looks like you should try contacting Nick, Kirkham and Shelby. Then you can figure out which of the 3 companies can help you the best.

Last edited by 1ntCobra; 09-02-2013 at 04:20 AM.. Reason: make link more pretty
Old 09-02-2013, 05:38 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 6022, navy blue, period correct 427 SO
Not Ranked     

Kirkham actually has built the diffs for Shelby at a number of points over recent years and they are nearly identical externally. Internally, Kirkham has strengthened the axles and gone to Trutrac limited slip, which is stronger than the Auburn LS that Shelby still uses. In fact, after breaking an axle (due to a metallurgical flaw in the axle itself, not an LS failure), I ended up buying a Kirkham diff as a replacement as they are visually identical and stronger. And removing/installing them is a massive PITA, so I'd rather not break it again. I had a 3:31 and now have a 3.54. I like both, but probably the 3.54 better. Shelby offers both ratios I believe (as does Kirkham).

www.partskeeper.com
(Less time searching, more time wrenching & driving)