Club Cobra GasN Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > General Discussion > Club Cobra Introduction Forum (introduce yourself)

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-21-2015, 03:05 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default new here (Toronto)

Hi everyone, new on here, just browsing and looking for ideas.
Been thinking about a cobra for the last 2 years and think i am ready.
I have decided to go with the A&C complete kit butt not sure what would be the best place to get engine and trany.
Also if anyone got this kit in ontario would like to know how easy was to get it across the border and to license it.

hope no one comes down hard on me, I'm sure all this info is here butt i could not find it, keep getting lost reading all other posts.

thanks in advance
Old 03-22-2015, 12:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance #1950, Roush 402R, TKO600
Not Ranked     

Transport Canada has very strict rules for importing a kit car. It must be at least 15 years old to be eligible. Google Transport Canada. You might be better off sourcing out a Cobra that is already in Canada. If you decide to do that maybe I can help you in your quest.
Old 03-22-2015, 12:39 PM
Senile Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Time Machines Motorsports LLC- Superformance Dealer
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdust View Post
Transport Canada has very strict rules for importing a kit car. It must be at least 15 years old to be eligible. Google Transport Canada. You might be better off sourcing out a Cobra that is already in Canada. If you decide to do that maybe I can help you in your quest.
TC DOEs allow a "starter kit" to be imported. With an "A&C" type kit you can meet the TC rules by importing a starter kit (body and frame) and sourcing the common parts i.e. suspension, etc. in Canada. You may also purchase and import other components from the US as needed.

Do a little searching here and you will find many details.

http://www.timemachinesauto.com/
Old 03-22-2015, 01:20 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast, 460 CID
Not Ranked     

Transport Canada won't allow kit cars or rollers (e.g. Kirkham, Superformance, Shelby continuation) into Canada. Period. 'Starter kits' are allowed, but it would seem only Factory Five has sorted out what it takes to produce allowable Starter Kits.

As Mark IV pointed out, you can make a 'Kit Car' into a 'Starter Kit' by working with the manufacturer to leave out various components which generally include anything related to drive train, steering, brakes and suspension.

Caution: Don't even think about trying to skirt the rules by having those pieces shipped separately by A&C. I've been told the inspectors will require receipts for all those components showing you purchased them from Canadian suppliers. Yes, I know this sounds like nothing more than bureaucracy and protectionist bullsh*t (and that's what it is), but I've been told attempts to get around these rules have resulted in completed cars being denied approval. This would be a very expensive lesson, as completed cars can't be exported to the U.S. until they're 25 years old.

As previously noted, cars at least 15 years old can be imported into Canada, and you will need to meet safety standards. My Saskatchewan safety inspection required the car meet the standards in effect at the time the car was first registered / completed - these are supposed to be federal standards, so all provinces s/b the same.

I was able to convince the safety inspectors that beehive lamps protruded far enough to qualify as side marker lamps, but my car still needed backup lights, side and rear reflectors meeting height requirements, 4-way flashers, centre-mounted brake lamp and daytime running lights. YMMV
Old 03-22-2015, 01:24 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I almost forgot, Transport Canada has apparently provided approval for "Superformance by Riverside" starter kits. The Superformance factory (Hi Tech Automotive) will produce a special, TC approved "starter kit" for import into Canada. This is not available elsewhere - check with Mark IV.

They do not "dis-assemble" a roller to qualify. They do not, as one seller does "send all of the parts in first as once the frame/body show up they (Canada Customs) will be looking for the balance of the parts". They do it legally to avoid the authorities showing up on you door to seize the car you wanted for years, saved for and worked so hard to acquire.
Old 03-22-2015, 03:52 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

With the USD vs CDN $ issue and the potential hassles, I agree with Stu...look closer to home for now....but of course, its your decision.

Just need a little patience

Mike
Old 03-25-2015, 01:56 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 2002 Superformance w/392 stroker
Not Ranked     

If you plan to import a kit from A&C, be sure to sort things out ahead of time with Transport Canada to ensure that your "starter kit" isn't considered an "unassembled car" in which case it will not be eligible to import. FFR and SPF have already figured out what parts can/cannot be included in a Canadian starter kit, but I don't know whether A&C has done the same thing for its Canadian customers.

On the other hand...

If you don't want to wait, there are a number of nice Cobra replicas advertised for sale in Canada. This particular car, a 1990 Contemporary Classic, is going to be offered at the Spring Classic Car Auction in Toronto, May 1-3. It's been for sale through Segal Motorcars in Concord for a couple months now.

See Hemmings listing: http://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/...a/1728032.html

DISCLAIMER: I have no stake in this car, but am just passing this along for your awareness.

Old 03-28-2015, 06:06 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Thanks guys for all your help, seems like i need to do my homework.
I spoke with A/C and they told me that i could get everything from them, but i would have to pick up the roller first then go back the second time for the rest, and to make sure i was restoring a car not building a kit (like you guys said, no kits allowed in Canada).

From your guys replies looks like i will be looking for one local, the reason i was looking at A/C was because i wanted to assemble it my self.
i will keep on looking.

thanks again.

Last edited by f4i954; 03-28-2015 at 06:23 AM..
Old 03-28-2015, 09:45 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by f4i954 View Post
I spoke with A/C and they told me that i could get everything from them, but i would have to pick up the roller first then go back the second time for the rest, and to make sure i was restoring a car not building a kit (like you guys said, no kits allowed in Canada).

From your guys replies looks like i will be looking for one local, the reason i was looking at A/C was because i wanted to assemble it my self.
i will keep on looking.

thanks again.
Based upon what you wrote, A&C doesn't understand the Transport Canada ("TC") restrictions: a) 'rollers' aren't allowed; and b) the remainder of the parts need to be sourced in Canada - with receipts as proof.

If you're still looking to assemble it yourself, Factory Five sells 'Starter Kits' that have been successfully imported and used by Canadian builders. These are specially packaged to meet TC's restrictions. See https://www.factoryfive.com/order-a-...te-kit-canada/

You may also want to check out Western Canada Cobras, they have a CAD$75 'E-Book' to help Canadians with information about how to import, build, register and license a Factory Five kit car in Canada. It also includes discounts on FF kit, shipping, crate engine, Western Canada Cobras
Old 03-29-2015, 06:18 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:

i will keep on looking.

thanks again.
Another option is Riverside Racers. They have also worked with Transport Canada and are legal to import into Canada. Talk to Ross Henry he is extremely knowledgeable. Here is the web site.
Home - Riverside Racers
Old 03-29-2015, 12:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdust View Post
Another option is Riverside Racers. They have also worked with Transport Canada and are legal to import into Canada. Talk to Ross Henry he is extremely knowledgeable. Here is the web site.
Home - Riverside Racers
I was poking around the Riverside Web site, and all I could see were 289 cars. It would certainly seem their frame is built much like the original frames (e.g. 3" round tubing, ability to use an original AC Ace, Aceca, Bristol or Greyhound as a 'donor'), but what if someone is looking for a 427 S/C car - do they offer that?
Old 03-30-2015, 07:47 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by cycleguy55 View Post
I was poking around the Riverside Web site, and all I could see were 289 cars. It would certainly seem their frame is built much like the original frames (e.g. 3" round tubing, ability to use an original AC Ace, Aceca, Bristol or Greyhound as a 'donor'), but what if someone is looking for a 427 S/C car - do they offer that?
I have spoken with the guys from Riverside Racers and assure me they can import 427's legally into Canada. There brought in as starter kits.
Old 03-30-2015, 07:53 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:

i will keep on looking.

thanks again.

pm sent