Club Cobra Gas-N Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > General Discussion > Club Cobra Introduction Forum (introduce yourself)

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree7Likes
  • 1 Post By Ron61
  • 1 Post By Tommy
  • 1 Post By LMH
  • 3 Post By grego
  • 1 Post By buddyg

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-03-2015, 09:26 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default A few questions from a wanna be

First, thanks in advance for the help.

I do have a few questions about some of the stuff I have read while trolling.

1) Based on another newbie thread, I understand that there is (or should be) no issue with badging differences between the badge (427) and the actual engine size (289/302/ect). If I was planning on buying a built car, I would think this would be a detail that I needed to make the car correct. However, it seems to be commonplace to have a different engine based on my limited research.

2) Again, based on limited research, it seems there are several replicators and just as many opinions of which is better than which. When looking for a built car, what are the gotta have things that I normally would not be looking for. Please keep in mind that I will probably never track this car.

3) After purchase, based on an average of a couple thousand miles a year -- how much wrenching is actually involved.

Again, thanks for your input.

RBW
Old 05-04-2015, 02:04 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
RBW,

Number one, the badging on the car. Myself I always have the badge show the engine size that is in the car. It isn't an original anyway and I am not trying to make mine look like one. Many people have stroker motors stroked out to 427 so they can sort of pass as accurate. But many people just put the 427 badges on regardless of what engine they have, so either way, to me it is a matter of your personal preference.

Number two, you are going to get all kinds of answers to that question. To me, look for a car that suits what you want and like and then if you can take it for a drive and see how it feels. Go to some Cobra meets or shows and talk to the people there about their different brands and makes of Cobras and find out their likes and dislikes.

And third, these are normally high maintenance cars, but if you are just going to drive it easy and not not be getting on it, you should be able to get by without a lot of working on the car. Just check the bolts after you drive it a few times and make sure that everything is tight. Watch for any oil or water leaks and general stuff like that.

I am sure that others will have a lot of things that I forgot, but I check mine over after every drive as I drive it hard even though I no longer race.

Ron
TommySF likes this.

View my Miscellaneous Gallery
Old 05-04-2015, 04:18 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Sold my EM.
Not Ranked     

RBW,
One more opinion among many:
I've read that the original "427 style" Cobras came with 427, 428 and 429 cubic inch engines. Thus the 427 designation was more about the shape of the body of the car required to handle the big block engines than it was the exact engine within the car. So I wouldn't be too concerned about the engine size, unless the comments of total strangers who wouldn't know a 427 side oiler from a Chevy 327 keep you up at night.

These cars are nothing like modern daily drivers in terms of safety OR reliability. And when it comes time for maintenance, you can't just drop it off at the local Ford dealership for service. Some guys like to do the work themselves, and other find its easier to learn to do it themselves than find a reliable shop that does affordable work. You need to factor ongoing maintenance costs into your decision one way or the other.

There are lots more questions you didn't ask and I suspect its because you haven't thought of many of them. Here's one a lot of people don't think of until after the car is in the garage. How often will I really use it? .... These are good weather cars, IMHO. They're not much fun when its too hot, too cold or too wet. So, to enjoy it you'll need a day when you have free time (e.g., no family obligations), good weather and nothing else you'd rather be doing on a beautiful day with some free time. Add to that the compulsion that many guys have to keep the car spotlessly clean and every hour on the road might eat another hour cleaning up back in the garage. ... When all is considered, many guys end up letting their cars sit for months on end before selling them is low mileage condition. If you are going to be one of those guys, save yourself some money and distress by finding a different hobby.

Good luck in whatever you choose.

P.S. If you buy one, take a high performance driving class so you don't kill anyone.
Bernica likes this.
"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." - Hanlon's Razor
Old 05-04-2015, 04:20 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Disregard.
"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." - Hanlon's Razor

Last edited by Tommy; 05-04-2015 at 12:23 PM..
Old 05-04-2015, 07:14 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

The Cobra 427 never came with a 429. That's a different engine family.
Larry
TN Shelby Cobra likes this.
Old 05-04-2015, 09:29 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Ron and Tommy,

Thanks for the replies. As to Tommy's points, I am a fair weather driver (just sold an older 911 that only saw sunshine) so I'm not opposed to a fair weather car. As far as maintenance, I have to admit that I am a novice (oil changes, brake pads, tune ups is about it), but I believe that I am teachable.

Hopefully that helps explain my wants and needs a little further.

Thanks again,

RBW
Old 05-04-2015, 11:22 AM
Senior CC Premier Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX #4xxx with CSX 482; David Kee Toploader
Not Ranked     

Tommy's and the other's points are right on.

Cobras are not Detroit or German engineered and every one of them is different.

An analogy might by like horses....
A Corvette or a Porsche is a well bred and well trained thoroughbred that you can hop on and ride anytime and pretty much know what to expect.

A Cobra is like buying a wild horse with little history on temperament or behavior until you get to know it. It will buck, snort, stink, bite and hurt you if you let it. They require proper care and feeding if you want a chance to get along with it.
With time and proper training, you can learn how it behaves and how to ride it but always respect the fact that if you let it, it will turn on you in the blink of an eye.

They are not for everyone, but as you can see by following this site there are plenty of folks out there that love them!
Old 05-04-2015, 09:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance 427SC/Roush 427IR
Not Ranked     

Good posts from the other members. Maintenance and insurance are key aspects of owning a replica Cobra.

Here is a copy of an email I sent to an old friend who got me interested in Cobras. Every year he sends me a happy 427 day email (April27), so it prompted me to write about how much I missed driving mine when it is out away for the winter. It speaks more to the enjoyment of driving one than maintenance and all.

I hope you enjoy the email and it gives some more perspective on the joys of driving one.

Greg
--------
I can't wait to jump in mine and fire it up, hear the starter wind it over a few times and then the initial explosions firing out of the exhaust for the first few seconds as the torque gives the car a couple of shakes until it settles down into a continuous low rumble while the oil pressure climbs. Then sitting there for a couple of minutes putting on the belts and harnesses and waiting for the water and oil temps to rise a little. Then pushing down that racing clutch that feels like going to the weight room at the gym, and taking some muscle to urge it into reverse and slowly back out of the garage. And that wonderful feel from the "Armstrong" style power steering as I slowly move the shifter into first gear as when it's cold it's like moving a wooden spoon in a tub of molasses and turn into the 2 lane country road that runs by the house and by which time I feel like I've already had a workout at the gym. Sort of like driving dad's 1953 John Deere Model R tractor. Since the temps are still low, I take it easy as I head down the road keeping it under 2500 rpm for each gear and enjoying the low rumble and incredible torque where it cruises quite easily at 35mph in 4th gear.

Approaching the first stop sign at the railroad tracks, my feet have to readjust themselves to find and make sure there is enough room for both feet on the clutch and brake. Definitely not the environment for my motorcycle riding boots. The brakes seem to work fine, but good to use them a little on the slow roads first. Downshift a couple of times and come to a slow stop. Look both ways on the tracks to make sure there are no trains. The tracks are pretty rough and the suspension stiff, so it shakes things up a bit as I cross. The temps are coming up a little now, and I give it a little more throttle and RPM to warm it up a little more. It takes only a second or 2 to reach 35 mph, the posted speed limit, in 1st gear. The acceleration can only be understood by those who have experienced it. And combined with the roar from both side pipes......wow! That woke up a couple of the locals including my cousin who lives near the tracks and gives me the thumbs up as I back off the throttle and level off at 35 mph. Actually, backing off the throttle after that kind of acceleration feels like slamming on the brakes as my chest flies up against the shoulder harnesses.

Now I come to the intersection with the 4 lane hi way, and the temps are in the green, shifter moves easily now, no traffic, and more importantly no police cars I can see. The only problem is the speed limit here is only 45 mph, so at best a 2 gear rapid acceleration before I have to shut it down. I really try to keep within the speed limit as I don't want to break my 37 year traffic ticket free record. A slow turn onto the hiway, double check for police cars, and down goes the throttle with an instant roar, acceleration, and a very slight sideways movement of the rear end telling me the tires would break loose with a fraction more throttle. At about 5000 rpm and less than 2 seconds it's time to shift into second gear. Shifting is where some Cobra guys bite the big one, popping the clutch with too much power and they can easily spin out of control. I've always made it a habit to to shift gently, and then bring on the power again. Besides, I'm not racing anyone and it's more about the feel of the acceleration and the sound than anything else. Gently into second gear, bring on the power and before I know it I'm just about at the speed limit and time to back off again. I live in a small town and only a couple of Cobras around and the sound can certainly be heard for some distance, so it's best to keep it within the limits.

Up ahead about a mile is a left turn that heads to the interstate, so a chance to get it into third gear, maybe 4th, on the half mile long on-ramp. But first I need a quick stop at the gas station just before the freeway for a fuel stop. As you know, though, hardly such a thing as a quick fuel stop in a Cobra. This is one of those big interstate adjacent car and truck stops with convenience store, fast food restaurant, about 20 gas pumps, and lots of people who hear the low rumble of the Cobra idling in with all eyes turned in my direction. Before I can even get the harnesses undone a couple of guys are already at the car and asking questions. "Is it real? Or is it a kit car? Does it really have a 427? I rode in a real one when I was a kid. A guy in my town has a real one. Do you mind if I take a picture? How much does it cost? Is it aluminum or fiberglass? How fast have you been in it? It's my favorite car of all time. Why is the speedometer backwards?" One nice looking woman walks over from her SUV, stands about 10 feet away, arms crossed, and after a couple of minutes says "That is the most incredibly sexy car I have ever seen." Since this happened before I was married, I told my friend who was riding with me that he might have to find another ride home. But, she never said anything about me being sexy, just the car, and my friend didn't seem too worried when I told him about another ride. She headed back to her SUV. Another guy, somewhat older, was standing further back and seemed like he finally got the courage to come up close. He asked if he could touch it, and I said sure, that's ok. He walked over to the back of the car and gently, with one finger, touch the top of the rear fender and pulled back quickly like it was hot. He had a big smile on his face, and as he walked away said "That's the nicest old Corvette I've ever seen." I didn't have the heart to tell him otherwise, so I just said thank you.

By now people want to see under the hood, so now a small crowd is gathered with a few kids getting in in the action, too, and lots of pictures being taken, I'm checking to make sure no one gets too close to the exhaust as its hot as can be, lots of questions about the performance, etc. And then there are a couple of people fueling near me who seem to be offended by this fire breathing monster or maybe the attention it's getting, I'm not sure. But they are the exception as so many people beam when they hear and see a Cobra and don't seem to be disappointed when I tell them it's a replica. In fact, most comment that they would be afraid to drive an original one.

My quick fuel stop has turned into a half hour mini car show, and I'm finally able to put some fuel in. The people don't leave and say they want to hear it start up. So, my friend and I slide back into the seats, get the harnesses back on, get the seat in the right position, look over my right shoulder to make sure I put the gas cap back on, switch on the ignition and then hit the start button as the 427 roars back to life. Lots of smiles from the small crowd, photos and videos so they can show the folks back home, and as we slowly idle away I can hear some ask me to do a burnout and smoke the tires. Not wanting to entirely disappoint them, the on ramp is right next to the gas station, so I use that opportunity to go from 0-70 in short order without burning rubber and keeping it safe. And it feels good......taking the first 3 gears to about 5000 rpm each and lots of noise from the side pipes gets me there in about 5 or 6 seconds before I back down and shift into 5th for a gentle merger on to the interstate.

A few cars pass by with thumbs up, some pull up on my left quarter and stay there while I assume they may be taking pictures while a few others are rolling the cameras as they pass by. For me Interstate driving is a means to get somewhere as the real fun driving is on the smaller, winding roads that are plentiful around these parts. Up ahead is the exit I like to take that goes through the mountains and has lots of curves and hills. So, off we go, hang a left and are immediately into the curves and hills. The speed limit is 35 mph, and on this road it's a second and third gear run. Some of the curves are sharper than I want to take the Cobra even at 35 mph, but are they ever fun. This is where the low end torque really comes into play. Most corners and hills are 3rd gear, low torque and such tight corners not a lot of shifting is needed, so both hands on the wheel through most of the "course". The uphill sharp corners are my favorite as no braking needed, just acceleration out of the corners and backing off the throttle to slow down. This is a great motorcycle road, too, and not uncommon for some of them to zoom past me as I tend to be a little more conservative in my driving.

This particular drive is about 12 or 14 miles long, a good half hour workout, and by the end it's time to stop for refreshments. The small town has a main street with a fairly touristy air about it and some nice open air restaurants. Parking there invites some of the same elements as back at the gas station....a few people gathering around, questions, pictures, etc. We go to a place nearby where we can keep an eye on the Cobra and enjoy a nice refreshment. And, to do some people watching of our own. It's a lot of fun to watch people's reactions to the Cobra when we are not next it and sometimes we can hear what they are saying. A few argue over whether it is real or not and extol their particular expertise either way. Some walk around it in circles repeatedly. One guy hung around for about 45 minutes after walking circles until we walked over to get in and asked if it was mine. I said yes, and he said someday he will own one and wanted to stay around so he could hear it run. Another guy said to his friend "I will bet this guy (apparently me) isn't staying at Motel 6." Some people lean over and really study the interior and gauges, I've seen a couple of guys spend 10 minutes or more intently doing this.

Getting back into the car is another public event. Maybe it's because this is such a small town and not a lot of unique cars around, but from what I've read from other Cobra owners this doesn't seem too unusual. I always enjoy the people that want to know more about it and take time to talk to them and show them the car. Many children have sat behind the wheel beaming while there parents take pictures, and often comment they can't believe I'd let them sit in such a nice car. I tell them I remember when someone did this for me when I was a kid and perhaps this will give them a memory like I had and a desire to buy one someday. Anyway, we fire it back up, wave at a lot of big smiles as we slowly drive away and head home.

On the way home we pass a few bikers. It seems the Harley guys are usually the ones who wave and give the thumbs up. One really scary looking biker dude with chains, huge knife, tattoos, long facial hair, body piercings, leather jacket with some club name on the back and a few skulls here and there on a big Harley chopper pulled up next to us at a stop light. He looked over with a look that could kill, or maybe he had just killed someone and was looking for his next victim. That stop light usually isn't so long, but this one seemed like it was never going to change. The biker dude is slowly looking us over from front to back, top to bottom, and then staring straight at me. I wasn't sure if I should smile, look away, or what as it seemed anything I did might offend him. So I applied my technique I learned when living and driving in the Middle East. Don't smile, don't wave, just nod. And that's what I did. As he was staring right through me, he slowly nodded back and raised his left hand, which was hidden as he was to the left of me, and to my pleasant surprise instead of a gun or knife gave us a big thumbs up. While I'm being a little lighthearted about this, there are some motorcycle gangs around that can be dangerous, so it was quite a relief when the thumb came up.

The last few miles home were quite pleasant cruising on the local county roads, no traffic, just the warm wind swirling around the car, the low rumble from the side pipes with the engine loping along, and then pulling into the garage where the sound is really amplified and switching the ignition off. We sat there for a minute or two listening to the pipes cooling and smelling the hot engine and last bit of exhaust. And then slowly unbuckling and climbing out reminding my friend not to get snake bitten. What would have taken 45 minutes to do in my regular driver took us about 4 hours and more fun and adventure than I ever imagined possible before owning a Cobra.
csw, 66gtk and 1795 like this.
Old 05-04-2015, 11:56 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance
Not Ranked     

Well said!
Old 05-05-2015, 06:43 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

That about covers it.
Old 05-05-2015, 06:58 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Nissan
Not Ranked     

lol, small city living
Old 05-05-2015, 07:14 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkGuy View Post
lol, small city living
You couldn't pay me enough to live in a big city. Not LOL.
Old 05-05-2015, 10:48 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Midstates/Shell Valley Street Cobra
Not Ranked     

I don't do anything to a car except put gas in it and drive.

I put about 12 thousand fair weather miles on SPF 2811 and after some minor sorting when it was new, the car was pretty much maintenance free.

My car was vary basic and reliable, no power this or that, no computers ect...

With it being driven only a few thousand miles a year, it was only serviced once a year, by the local Ford Dealer.....easy peasey...
Old 05-05-2015, 11:39 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance #1309 www.spfowners.freeforums.net
Not Ranked     

I have owned 3 Superformance Cobras and have been very happy with the quality of their work. I am not mechanically inclined but you can find friends or a local shop to help with that. I put 2000 miles on the car last year only driving it on nice sunny days.

Driving a Cobra is a special experience everytime. Be prepared to talk to people when you gas up or park just about anywhere.

Nothing more beautiful than a Cobra!
TN Shelby Cobra likes this.

http://spfowners.freeforums.net/
Old 06-05-2015, 04:54 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance, Survival Motorsports aluminum FE 482
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy View Post
You couldn't pay me enough to live in a big city. Not LOL.
It is nice thought to live near a big city.
Old 06-05-2015, 05:02 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RCR GT 40 & 1966 Fairlane 390 5 speed
Not Ranked     
Smile

busflyer
hook up with Cobra Dan ( cobradandfw@gmail.com ) and the Deep South Cobra Club.

They are all around you in Florida.

Dwight
Old 06-05-2015, 05:04 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RCR GT 40 & 1966 Fairlane 390 5 speed
Not Ranked     
Smile

London Cobra Show at the end of June in Ohio.

Join us and you can ride in one..

Home | Ohio Cobra Club
Old 06-05-2015, 06:06 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance, Survival Motorsports aluminum FE 482
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwight View Post
London Cobra Show at the end of June in Ohio.

Join us and you can ride in one..

Home | Ohio Cobra Club
If you are serious this is the way to go.