Club Cobra Gas-N Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > General Discussion > Club Cobra Introduction Forum (introduce yourself)

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-26-2015, 11:22 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Backdraft, ERA or EM

Hi all

Starting to do some preliminary searching on a company to get my ac cobra replica car.

I'm 6' 3" and prefer the extended chassis that EM makes but I have heard of some troubles with them in the past few years after they moved to Texas under new ownership.

In talking to one of the owners just recently it seems they are doing better ... just moved into a new facility and a turn key car is about $70000

Now there is backdraft ... in Florida ... where I live and only a few hours away. I don't know if they make a extended length car but I put a call into them and am getting the into.

Lastly I spoke to ERA and it sounds they accommodate those in the 6' 3" frame category quite comfortably. But they are the furthest from my location (CT).

Pricing is about the same for all three ... that said .... who is the better manufacturer ....

Would like to get some opinions please

don

Last edited by 1badsho; 10-26-2015 at 12:00 PM..
Old 10-26-2015, 11:27 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1badsho View Post

I'm 6' 3" and prefer the extended chassis that EM makes but...
I'm 6' 4" and fit perfectly in my ERA, but you're not going to get a turnkey for $70k. There's a shot of me in the car about half way down this page: 427 Frequently Asked Questions
Old 10-26-2015, 12:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft #91 with 345 HP 302
Not Ranked     

I am 5 5 so I don't suffer from your hardships, but before you spend the money try one on. As a Backdraft owner I understand they are built for the taller gents...come on up to MO and try mine on if they don't have one in stock in your area.
Old 10-26-2015, 06:10 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA, 1964 289->Webers
Not Ranked     

Every mfg makes a "Different" car. Better comes down to the details that suit you. For reference, my car has plenty of adjustment left & I'm 6'. I've tried to get in cars that were too small for me. Really depends on design of the cockpit. & many offer "fixes" if you aren't going to fit the std car.
ct clint likes this.
Old 10-26-2015, 06:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Some polish thing... With some old engine
Not Ranked     

Hey Don,

My humble thoughts are:

If I wanted a racetrack ready car that I was planning to hoon around in, I'd go for the BDR.
If I wanted a street going car that I was planning to cruize around in, I'd go for the EM.
If I wanted the best of both worlds, I wouldn't hesitate on the ERA!

That all said - at 6'4" I'd try them on for size first, to see how I'd fit (or be made to fit) in the car. Then settle for the one that suits YOU best.

Best wishes
Old 10-26-2015, 07:14 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BD 1445 Coyote TKO 600 3.91
Not Ranked     
Default Best of Both Worlds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimis View Post
Hey Don,

My humble thoughts are:

If I wanted a racetrack ready car that I was planning to hoon around in, I'd go for the BDR.
If I wanted a street going car that I was planning to cruize around in, I'd go for the EM.

That all said - at 6'4" I'd try them on for size first, to see how I'd fit (or be made to fit) in the car. Then settle for the one that suits YOU best.

Best wishes

BDR are great for cruising too... I have had my car for 3 weeks and thus far have driving 800 miles 2 400 mile cruises... my set up can be seen here...

I went with Coyote Motor... Shine Start and Drive..... The reliability of the modular motor is impressive... yes you don't here the thump thump thump bump hands down step on the pedal and it is earth shattering...

Higher RPM motor is great for the track as well..

Just my opinion.... not biased either.... from research and owning and Everette Morrison with SB and over 550hp...

Good luck. any questions feel free to PM me..

https://youtu.be/rgyOCmeAJ-0
Old 10-26-2015, 07:24 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Best of Both Worlds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimis View Post
Hey Don,

My humble thoughts are:

Best wishes
Not sure about hooning... most of us BDR owners are very respectable and and quite frankly the quote obviously came from a Elitist.... or as MOST ERA owners are... remember you put your pants on JUST like them and their CARS aren't REAL either!!!! it even says so on their webpage> Era Replica Automobiles - Makers of the 427, 289FIA, and GT40 replicas

BDR are great for cruising and provide for the BEST OF BOTH WORLDS too as well. I have had my car for 3 weeks and thus far have driving 800 miles 2 400 mile cruises... my set up can be seen here... very comfortable for both the wife and myself.

I went with Coyote Motor... Shine Start and Drive..... The reliability of the modular motor is impressive... yes you don't here the thump thump thump bump hands down step on the pedal and it is earth shattering...

Higher RPM motor is great for the track as well..

Just my opinion.... not biased either.... from research and owning and Everette Morrison with SB motor and over 550hp...

Good luck. any questions feel free to PM me..

https://youtu.be/rgyOCmeAJ-0
Old 10-26-2015, 08:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Ok. Clearly I gave the wrong impression when I said "hoon".
Not sure if it's cos people have guilty consciouses or what?
Apologies for giving the wrong impression.

But my point remains. If I'm track biased with some cruising then bdr.
Cos it's less geared to being original spec. And more mod. And that's my opinion.

If I'm cruise biased with the odd track blast EM bc it's a little more retro in its approach. And that's my opinion.

ERA - gets my pref for best of both worlds. And again that's just my opinion.

Enjoy
Old 10-26-2015, 09:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by BADSN8K View Post
Not sure about hooning... most of us BDR owners are very respectable and[b] and quite frankly the quote obviously came from a Elitist.... or as MOST ERA owners are...
Whoohoo! Thanks - that's the first time I've been called that.
But sorry, I don't own an ERA... Not sure why you take aim at them
They have a great product... no need to hold it against them.

Quote:
remember you put your pants on JUST like them and their CARS aren't REAL either!!!! it even says so on their webpage> Era Replica Automobiles - Makers of the 427, 289FIA, and GT40 replicas
Couldn't agree more... have you read any of my previous posts...
Old 10-27-2015, 03:06 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

The Question was BDR or EM!
Old 10-27-2015, 04:17 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Huh? You may have missed something

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1badsho View Post
Lastly I spoke to ERA and it sounds they accommodate those in the 6' 3" frame category quite comfortably. But they are the furthest from my location (CT).

Pricing is about the same for all three ... that said .... who is the better manufacturer ....

Would like to get some opinions please

don
Hey... Don't worry about it.
Could've happened to anyone.
Take care.
Old 10-27-2015, 04:24 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 427SC 383 stroker
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Re-read the original post - It clearly includes ERA in the title and comparison question. No need for folks to get all upset and defensive of their chosen brands - the truth is the truth. They all have their appeal and strong points that warrant different people making choices based upon their own particular needs and preferences.

Bottom line is this:

Of the three, ERA is widely considered the blue chip, top of the line product among fiberglass bodied Cobra Replicas. This is due to a widely accepted reputation for quality of components and engineering, longevity of the company, customer support and a beautifully accurate rendition of the look, stance and dimensions of the original Cobras.

Everett Morrison offers a less accurate appearance and stance - particularly in the stretched version but they have a stout, well engineered chassis and a variety of suspension packages and customization options.

Backdraft is a relative newcomer in this group, but they are selling a lot of cars. They offer a factory-finished "turnkey minus" product only and use BMW suspension components under a longer body with a higher stance and a more bulging look to the fenders, particularly in the rear.

Both EM and BDR produce a more modern, "Cobra-like" custom car while ERA produces a more accurate appearing, faithful replication of the lower, sleeker appearance of the original Cobras. The vast majority of ERA owners install big block FE engines while a larger percentage of BDR owners - less concerned about originality - use stroked small block Windsors or Coyote modular motors.

A finished ERA will set you back a fair bit more than the others but that increase in entry price is well supported and reflected in used car resale values.

All can accommodate taller drivers - EM and BDR do so by taking liberties with the original shape and look while ERA does so within the original envelope. Choose which one suits you best. Happy hunting.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the strength to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference. -(wasn't me)

BEWARE OF THE DOGma!! Dogmatism bites...
Old 10-27-2015, 05:03 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Don, a turnkey ERA is in a different class from the EM or BDR. Not to take anything away from those two cars, but they're just not comparable. If you're seriously going to look at a turnkey ERA, then you need to fly up to New Britain and talk with Peter about 1) How much it will really cost to get it just the way you want it, and 2) How long you will have to wait. HINT: It will take longer than you think and cost more than you expect, but the result will be better than you can possibly imagine.
Old 10-27-2015, 07:33 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance #2660, FE-406
Not Ranked     

You might as well throw SPF in the equation. Any number of low miles, premium, SORTED, cars for sale. You will fit comfortably and come in at or below budget.
Old 10-27-2015, 11:05 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX4005LA, Roush 427IR
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim7139 View Post
You might as well throw SPF in the equation. Any number of low miles, premium, SORTED, cars for sale. You will fit comfortably and come in at or below budget.
I would have to agree with both claims in this response:

If you are considering anything other than BDR and EM (ie, add ERA) then you should also add SPF. Both ERA and SPF cars, are a cut above the other two but you pay for that quality.

Open the door to an already completed car. Check the current listings on Cobra Country and the forum here. You may find something already done that is what you are looking for without the wait and frustration.

Additionally, looking at resales will also give you the opportunity to "try on" the car. I always encourage new Cobra owners to be sure they will "fit" in the car they buy. That means sitting in the car you are looking to buy, or at least one from the same manufacturer if you are going to order one. They are all different in seat, pedal and steering wheel placement and for a tall driver, that can mean alot.

Good luck!

Last edited by twobjshelbys; 10-27-2015 at 11:12 AM..
Old 10-27-2015, 11:27 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 427SC 383 stroker
Not Ranked     

In that case, it should also be noted that ERA's are also more accurate in appearance and stance than SPF's which are great cars in their own right with a consistent factory finish and a large, dedicated following of happy customers.

I've heard conflicting accounts of how well they fit taller drivers though, which is central to the OP's original question about EM, BDR and ERA.

If we're taking it upon ourselves to add other brands to the initial comparo, then I strongly suggest having a good look at Unique Motorcars - beautiful cars, original dimensions and one famous owner was close to 7 feet tall! Hurricane makes a nice replica as well.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the strength to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference. -(wasn't me)

BEWARE OF THE DOGma!! Dogmatism bites...

Last edited by Buzz; 10-27-2015 at 11:29 AM..
Old 10-27-2015, 11:32 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

... correctamundo buzz. And if the OP can't tell the difference, or just likes the difference, between an ERA and Factory Five, then he ought to go with a FF. He'll save a boat load of cash and I've seen FF cars that will outperform my FE equipped ERA, easily. Dang, if he went with a nice used FF over a new, turnkey ERA, he could probably save close to fifty grand.
Old 10-28-2015, 07:35 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance #2660, FE-406
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
In that case, it should also be noted that ERA's are also more accurate in appearance and stance than SPF's which are great cars in their own right with a consistent factory finish and a large, dedicated following of happy customers.

I've heard conflicting accounts of how well they fit taller drivers though, which is central to the OP's original question about EM, BDR and ERA.

If we're taking it upon ourselves to add other brands to the initial comparo, then I strongly suggest having a good look at Unique Motorcars - beautiful cars, original dimensions and one famous owner was close to 7 feet tall! Hurricane makes a nice replica as well.
Got no idea what could be a "conflicting" report unless somebody is trying to get in the trunk. I'm 6'2" and fit well, another 1" is not gonna change much. Only issue common to most of these cars is learning what to do with your left foot, not a huge issue.
Old 10-28-2015, 11:32 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
Don, a turnkey ERA is in a different class from the EM or BDR. Not to take anything away from those two cars, but they're just not comparable. If you're seriously going to look at a turnkey ERA, then you need to fly up to New Britain and talk with Peter about 1) How much it will really cost to get it just the way you want it, and 2) How long you will have to wait. HINT: It will take longer than you think and cost more than you expect, but the result will be better than you can possibly imagine.
Patrick

Spoke to Peter yesterday and was very impressed with his honesty.

He flat told me if I am 6' 3" and i want comfort their car isnt for me. He didnt want to sell me out of the idea of a ERA car but he also wanted to be as forthcoming as possible. Very impressed nonetheless

Since I live South of Tampa the logical choice is backdraft. Locality and its generally considered a bigger car that will better accomodate my frame.

I plan to drive over to the east coast and sit in a few just to see how I physically fit.

EM requires 50 percent down which concerns me once I get close to building my car. Backdraft requires $5000 ....

don
Old 10-28-2015, 11:39 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz View Post

Hadnt heard of Unique Motorsports ... will google them for sure ... thanks !

Ive seen many backdrafts in picture and on youtube only. And the look is fine. I am not one who requires the car to be identical to the orignial in every detail but I have always wanted one.

The favorite is backdraft because they Company reside in the state I live in. A three hour drive max

don