Club Cobra Keith Craft Racing  

Go Back   Club Cobra > General Discussion > Club Cobra Introduction Forum (introduce yourself)

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree32Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-03-2016, 02:20 PM
Senior CC Premier Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX #4xxx with CSX 482; David Kee Toploader
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodKnock View Post
A 1960's car is a classic. And it's the original. Cobras made after the original production in the 1960's aren't classics. They're modern interpretations of the original, replicas, kit cars, not classic.

Phrases like "period correct" and "Cobra experience" are really utter nonsense, when few, if any, of us have actually had a real genuine Cobra experience to replicate. But boy, we sure will get that "Cobra experience" by shifting through a 50-60 year old transmission that cannot keep up with modern traffic conditions and a transmission that cannot be seen by naked eye. So period correctness, is just via one's imagination until he or she puts their Cobra on a hydraulic lift for service.

And gee whiz, that Toploader/Hurst package shifts like butter in comparison to the Tremec TKO600/Steeda Tri-Ax combo.

How about using the Tremec's 2.87 1st gear (versus the WR Toploader's 2.78) to get out of the hole quicker, when waiting for that metering light to turn green at the nearest freeway onramp? Won't that increased holeshot give you a greater feeling of the Cobra experience?

The ONLY sane reason to choose a Toploader is simply the difference in money. Anyone that thinks shifting a Toploader via their Hurst Competition Plus shifter to recreate the 1960's and run their $20,000-$30,000 Windsor and FE engines at 4,000 RPM @ 65 MPH (or whatever) for 30 minutes or a 1-2 (or more) hour drive, is simply living in Fantasyland.
Geez! Thanks for straightening me out there Rodknock! I have done several long drives and I guess I will just stay in Fantasyland!
BTW, my daughter is a performer at Disneyland, so I am quite familiar.
Old 05-03-2016, 02:39 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernica View Post
Geez! Thanks for straightening me out there Rodknock! I have done several long drives and I guess I will just stay in Fantasyland!
BTW, my daughter is a performer at Disneyland, so I am quite familiar.
Ah, Bernica, just giving you a hard time.

Hey, if believing in unicorns, leprechauns and the buttery smooth shifting of a Toploader/Hurst combo at 4,000 RPM on the 15 and 405 freeways makes you feel happy, then more power to ya. Just please stay out of the FasTrak and express lanes.
Old 05-03-2016, 03:00 PM
Senior CC Premier Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Not Ranked     

I have driven cars with TKO, Jericho, Doug Nash etc. For me, I feel like I can just "feel" things better with a Toploader. I know the trans, I know the shifter. Just feels right in my hands, if that makes sense.....
Old 05-03-2016, 03:13 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
I have driven cars with TKO, Jericho, Doug Nash etc. For me, I feel like I can just "feel" things better with a Toploader. I know the trans, I know the shifter. Just feels right in my hands, if that makes sense.....
I get it.

You're "hooked on a feeling." You and David Hasselhoff.....

Old 05-03-2016, 03:31 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Street Roadster #782 with 459 cu in FE KC engine, toploader, 3.31
Not Ranked     

[quote=blykins;1389905]

If you plan on driving a lot at 70-75, then I would prob give the nod to a TKO as the rpms will get excessive there,QUOTE]

I would agree. I don't drive any interstates around here in central Arkansas. I30 and I 40 intersect here and are both major truck routes across the middle of the country. It's just bumper to bumper semis with a few passenger cars/pickups and SUVs mixed in to add a little filler. It's about as much fun to drive as going for a root canal and you usually wonder if you will live to get off at the next exit. Access roads, country roads and state highways are about all we have to comfortably drive on so a 55 mph cruise is doing good. But, if you are where you can and will drive a lot of interstates and expressways - by all means get a 5 speed.
Old 05-03-2016, 03:57 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I have a T56 in my car with 3.7 rear gears and a .8? In 5th and .54 in 6th. I would not recommend it with a non fuel injected car, but it sure is great on the highway when you are burned out from a day of driving and the engine quiets down turning at 1900 RPM doing 70 mph.

I've had 3 speeds, 4 speeds, 5 speeds, and 6 speeds and shifting is shifting. I personally like the 6 speed the best as it has a real short shift pattern.
Old 05-04-2016, 02:24 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
A 1960's car is a classic. And it's the original. Cobras made after the original production in the 1960's aren't classics. They're modern interpretations of the original, replicas, kit cars, not classic.

Phrases like "period correct" and "Cobra experience" are really utter nonsense, when few, if any, of us have actually had a real genuine Cobra experience to replicate. But boy, we sure will get that "Cobra experience" by shifting through a 50-60 year old transmission that cannot keep up with modern traffic conditions and a transmission that cannot be seen by naked eye. So period correctness, is just via one's imagination until he or she puts their Cobra on a hydraulic lift for service.

And gee whiz, that Toploader/Hurst package shifts like butter in comparison to the Tremec TKO600/Steeda Tri-Ax combo.

How about using the Tremec's 2.87 1st gear (versus the WR Toploader's 2.78) to get out of the hole quicker, when waiting for that metering light to turn green at the nearest freeway onramp? Won't that increased holeshot give you a greater feeling of the Cobra experience?

The ONLY sane reason to choose a Toploader is simply the difference in money. Anyone that thinks shifting a Toploader via their Hurst Competition Plus shifter to recreate the 1960's and run their $20,000-$30,000 Windsor and FE engines at 4,000 RPM @ 65 MPH (or whatever) for 30 minutes or a 1-2 (or more) hour drive, is simply living in Fantasyland.

you are mixing it

any recreation of an original classic thing stays a classic thing and it is legitimate to have the opinion that it should be inside as classic at the on the outside

Last edited by peterpjb; 05-04-2016 at 02:51 AM..
Old 05-04-2016, 09:08 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA, 351W
Not Ranked     

joyridin',

What does "non-fuel injected" have to do with a decision about a 6 speed?
Old 05-04-2016, 09:33 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterpjb View Post
you are mixing it

any recreation of an original classic thing stays a classic thing and it is legitimate to have the opinion that it should be inside as classic at the on the outside
No, you're "mixing it." The modern mass interpretation/reproduction/cloning/imitation of a classic car, which is delivered in an incomplete status (kit form) and really isn't an exact duplication anyway (especially built in fiberglass), doesn't confer classic status to the reproduction/clone/imitation.

The original 1960's Cobra is a classic. Period. That's my opinion. You have yours. We disagree.
Thor maine likes this.
Old 05-04-2016, 09:44 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

And your "CLASSIC" Cobra REPLICA can be delivered to your doorstep by one of several manufacturers including, but not limited to, Backdraft, Shelby, Kirkham, Factory Five, Superformance, etc. Just pick up the telephone and call in your order now. Operators are standing by.

1-800-TRI-BUTE.
Thor maine likes this.
Old 05-04-2016, 10:01 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance #2660, FE-406
Not Ranked     

I must confess, while I have a TKO I ride around most of the time in fourth for the "cobra experience", but when the buttmunch in the PT Cruiser with the flames on the side tries to blow by me I like to play Capt. Jean Luc Picard........engage.
Old 05-04-2016, 10:12 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

On the german highways I cruised a lot at 80 mph, when the wind is just about bearable.
Same in the mountains, but where speeds drops to 40 mph in the bends often. I hate to shift down for a bend or a bike, so I prefered 4-speed with my 496cui. Toploader CR, 3.31:1 rear.

1st gets me to over 62 mph (easy)
2nd over 100 mph
3rd just about does it in the 1/4 mile at 125 mph if wheels don't spin much

Of course, it's better with a 5 speed - one can always just use the first four!!
saltshaker likes this.
Old 05-04-2016, 11:17 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominik View Post
Of course, it's better with a 5 speed - one can always just use the first four!!
Sure you could, but you don't get the same "Cobra experience" and "Toploader feeling" when shifting with a Tremec. The Toploader just feels so right, like an old pair of slippers on a sunny Sunday morning with your freshly-brewed cup of Joe.
Bernica likes this.
Old 05-04-2016, 11:22 AM
Senior CC Premier Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Sure you could, but you don't get the same "Cobra experience" and "Toploader feeling" when shifting with a Tremec. The Toploader just feels so right, like an old pair of slippers on a sunny Sunday morning with your freshly-brewed cup of Joe.
Now that's what I'm talking about!
Old 05-04-2016, 11:25 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Former owner of Long Live the Bow tie Contemporary #102 427 Chevy .30 over Merlin heads 11to1, TBI injection
Not Ranked     

Quote:
And your "CLASSIC" Cobra REPLICA can be delivered to your doorstep by one of several manufacturers including, but not limited to, Backdraft, Shelby, Kirkham, Factory Five, Superformance, etc. Just pick up the telephone and call in your order now. Operators are standing by.

1-800-TRI-BUTE.
And all of those kit manufactures can come from the factory (including Shelby American, AC Cars ltd Heritage) in their modern interpretation with mounts installed for a 4spd, 5spd, 6spd or auto of your choosing. So coming from the Shelby factory or the AC factory set up for a 5 or 6spd is as about as original as it gets!
Old 05-04-2016, 11:39 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by bernica View Post
now that's what i'm talking about!
Old 05-04-2016, 01:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:

1-800-TRI-BUTE.
sure, but they are all classic
its a decision if you prefer a classic or a modern car
cobra is classic, no matter if original, replica, continuation, kitcar, whatelse
if you decide to drive a modern car take a 991 or a AMG GT
Old 05-04-2016, 01:51 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterpjb View Post
sure, but they are all classic
its a decision if you prefer a classic or a modern car
cobra is classic, no matter if original, replica, continuation, kitcar, whatelse
if you decide to drive a modern car take a 991 or a AMG GT
No, I think you're "mixing it up."

The original Cobra built in the 1960's is a classic. That is correct.

Some approximation or imitation of the original that is being reproduced in mass quantities 50 years later with modern materials and process is modern. Not classic.

Only the owners of the original 1960's Cobra have classics. The rest of us own a modern reproduction of, or tribute to, a classic. And I personally see no reason, other than possibly money (even though the difference is a rounding error in the build), to not install a Tremec 5-speed.
Old 05-04-2016, 01:57 PM
Senior CC Premier Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Not Ranked     

The old technology worked fine then and still works fine now, at least for me!
I have old tools and machines that actually still work better than the new stuff that you can buy now.
Old 05-04-2016, 02:47 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
The old technology worked fine then and still works fine now, at least for me!
I have old tools and machines that actually still work better than the new stuff that you can buy now.
Sure the old stuff works fine, but for those among us who prefer a quieter ride so you can have a conversation and not get tinnitus before we're 90 years old, freeway RPM's less than 3,500-4,000 RPM, less wear and tear on our expensive engines, the lower 1st gear of the Tremec (2.87 or 3.27 versus 2.78 or 2.32) and better gas mileage, then the modern tranny is a better choice.