Club Cobra Keith Craft Racing  

Go Back   Club Cobra > General Discussion > Club Cobra Introduction Forum (introduce yourself)

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2017, 06:09 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Newbie learning about Cobras

Hi guys. My name is Dan and I'm from Port Jeff on Long Island,N.Y. I'm interested in possibly getting a Cobra but I want to do my homework first. I know all builders are not created equal so I figured it best to become a Forum member. It's funny how most cars for sale are listed without any frame details. I would think this is as important as the engine. Anyway any guidance I receive will be appreciated. Thanks
Old 02-09-2017, 06:56 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF MKII Riverside Racer FIA
Not Ranked     

Well Dan, you are off to a good start coming here for some guidance. Lots of knowledge and opinions here. You will have to sort through that on your own, no guidance there . I would suggest that you go to the websites of the various manufactures whose cars you might be considering to get an idea about frame construction. Some go with an original style frame with round tubes, others use channel steel for their frames. There are benefits and costs to both designs. You will have to decide what suits you the most.

You will definitely want to inquire about the build of any car that you are looking at and whether it has been titled or not. Ask for pictures of the frame and undercarriage to look for signs of abuse or neglect. A low mileage car (0-1,000 miles) may be a good or a bad thing. It has not been driven a lot and therefore has not been fully sorted out. All cars, no matter the manufacturer need some sorting out.

You will have a lot of questions to consider, including getting the car registered and passing inspection. Good luck.

Jim
Old 02-09-2017, 07:51 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR track car, SL-C track car
Not Ranked     

Welcome!
It will help if you really have a good idea of what you want to do with the car. Weekend driver street car, or autocross/track car? How important is originality or what others think of it? Those factors will help guide you to the right kind of car for you. Best wishes in your research and choosing a car. Don't be too surprised if you end up deciding against a Cobra after all the research.
Old 02-09-2017, 09:38 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX4005LA, Roush 427IR
Not Ranked     

It also helps greatly if you indicate your budget.
Old 02-09-2017, 11:12 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by dansax View Post
It's funny how most cars for sale are listed without any frame details. I would think this is as important as the engine.
We've found here that frames tend to be overrated. The most important piece of information in a purchase of a Cobra is what color? After that question is answered then it's all down hill from there.

1. Blue 45%
2. Red 45%
3. Black 5%
4. Other (green, yellow, unpainted, etc.) 5%
5. Beige 0.000000000001%

Welcome!
Bartruff1, Texasdoc, Antny and 1 others like this.
Old 02-09-2017, 05:45 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RCR GT 40 & 1966 Fairlane 390 5 speed
Not Ranked     
Smile

Each manufacture has his own frame to match his body. None are interchangeable. Well not without a LOT of work.

Most of the bodies are not the same.

The question about what you will do with the Cobra is an importance point. And the budget.

Lots of difference between a $20,000 car and $150,000 one.

Have fun with your research.

Dwight
65 CobraCharlie likes this.
Old 02-09-2017, 07:09 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPO 963, 351W
Not Ranked     

Beige. LOFL!!!
Old 02-09-2017, 10:17 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast, 460 CID
Not Ranked     

Research:
How to Buy a Pre-Owned Cobra Replica Kit Car - DIY Ford
FAQ: How to buy a used Cobra:
66gtk and 65 CobraCharlie like this.
Old 02-11-2017, 02:37 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Thanks for all the replies. It would be a weekend cruiser, no track time. I would like to stay under $65K.
Old 02-11-2017, 02:41 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallas_ View Post
Welcome!
It will help if you really have a good idea of what you want to do with the car. Weekend driver street car, or autocross/track car? How important is originality or what others think of it? Those factors will help guide you to the right kind of car for you. Best wishes in your research and choosing a car. Don't be too surprised if you end up deciding against a Cobra after all the research.
Originality comes with a hefty price tag. As long as it is not on a VW frame(lol) and is a quality build I've seen some nice cars inthe $65K range. As to what others think, there will always be people who scoff at the idea of "Kit" cars or clones in general.
Old 02-11-2017, 04:17 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RCR GT 40 & 1966 Fairlane 390 5 speed
Not Ranked     
Smile

would you be interested in a Unique with a 1965 427 s.o. stroked to 487 making 620 hp 630 tq by Keith Craft?

$55,000

Dwight
Old 02-11-2017, 09:46 PM
Member of the north
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A Cobra
Not Ranked     

Are you going to build or buy? I did not get a clear understanding.

If you R buying, rodknock makes a point...that beige is all the rage!

LOL. LOL

Tru

Last edited by trularin; 02-13-2017 at 05:40 AM..
Old 02-12-2017, 07:06 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Your budget should find you a nice pre-owned car with the features and colors you want. ERA and Superformance would be at the top of my list at that price range.
Old 02-12-2017, 09:55 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AK1085 (302), HTM111 (427 Comp), CSX2375R (289 Comp) and Scratch 427 S/C
Not Ranked     

Join a local club and try to attend SAAC and Mid-Ohio
Old 02-13-2017, 05:23 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I would buy. First I want to learn the pros and cons of the various makes. Also whether to go big block or worked 302. There is a lot to take in and I'm in no rush.
Old 02-13-2017, 05:44 AM
Member of the north
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A Cobra
Not Ranked     

Ah, buying at what budget?

Married?

Not that I am nosey, but my wife likes to drive the Cobra. If your partner is going to be behind the wheel, may I recommend she be part of the process?

If your budget is 25k, you are probably not going to be buying from the Kirkham bros.

Just an opinion.

Tru
Old 02-15-2017, 03:50 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I take it the Cobra market is soft. Since posting this I've been swamped with PM's offering cars for sale. This is good for the buyer and will make my search much more interesting. I also keep track of E-Bay and notice most are re-listed again and again.
Old 02-15-2017, 04:11 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF MKII Riverside Racer FIA
Not Ranked     

Go for a ride in as many different ones as you can. Compare and contrast. there will be some variability even between various manufactures. The real good ones are not on the market for too long. Get a look underneath the cars. Take your time.
Island Cobra likes this.
Old 02-15-2017, 06:23 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Werk77 289FIA
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodKnock View Post
5. Beige 0.000000000001%
Yeah, the least boring hehehehe

DRB GT40 MK1 red #49- sold
FF5 Mk4 #7733 302/T5/IRS - dark blue - sold
FF5 MK4 #7812 427/TKO/IRS - Guardsman Blue - sold
FF5 MK4 #8414 501/TKO600/48IDA Ollie the Dragon #91 - sold
FF5 Daytona Coupe 347/TKO/IRS Homage CSX2299 Viking Blue - sold
SPF 2063
Old 02-15-2017, 06:47 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by dansax View Post
I take it the Cobra market is soft. Since posting this I've been swamped with PM's offering cars for sale. This is good for the buyer and will make my search much more interesting. I also keep track of E-Bay and notice most are re-listed again and again.
Soft - maybe, maybe not. The Cobra market goes in cycles. With exception of pre-election jitters last summer/fall the market has been strong and sale prices for good cars have been up. Who knows what will happen in 2017, but we all know these cars aren't getting any cheaper to build. The market fluctuations are always hardest on the most common builds. The very best cars always get good money, and these cars make up a small percentage of available inventory. Just the other day a CSX continuation 'glass car fetched $126K (with fees) on BaT. Somebody overpaid for a SPF at BJ to the tune of well over $100K. As you learn more about the differences in cars and what makes the most authentic ones worth more money at resale, the pricing and stagnant ebay listings will start to make sense. Your budget that you indicated earlier should find you a very nice car, but you won't be able to get a CSX or Kirkham. You need to double your budget for those.

As you search, you will be tempted with offers to buy cars that appear to be available at a discount or "under the money". Please seek the advice of some of the experienced members here or somebody you trust who knows these cars and power-trains you are considering before rushing to buy. There are many cars that appear just fine to the untrained eye, but when it comes to these cars you usually get what you pay for. Good deals can be found, but many have unpleasant surprises you need to be prepared to deal with. Some of these surprises can be very expensive making that "good deal" be a very BAD deal in the end.

Last edited by 66gtk; 02-15-2017 at 06:54 AM..