Club Cobra Gas-N Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > General Discussion > Club Cobra Introduction Forum (introduce yourself)

Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By Old Bull
  • 1 Post By moore_rb
  • 2 Post By cycleguy55

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-14-2017, 06:07 AM
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadsters 427 AC Cobra
Not Ranked     
Default Cassics Roadster AC Cobra build

I am a 69 year old retired heavy equipment mechanic located in central Illinois.
I just purchased a 1966 Classics Roadster AC Cobra manufactured in 1992. This is my first kit car but not my first build. I am installing a stroked 460 with a top loader 4 speed. The mounts that came with the kit were for a 428. After setting the engine it looks like it sits too high and about two inches forward. I am going to need a set of headers and side pipes. I believe that will let me know where to set the engine.
I also need advice on the radiator. I want to keep this thing cool. I have had trouble in the past with cooling and had to go to a larger radiator after the build. It is a lot easier to do it right the first time. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
1985 CCX likes this.
Old 07-14-2017, 06:23 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast, 460 CID
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Bull View Post
I am a 69 year old retired heavy equipment mechanic located in central Illinois.
I just purchased a 1966 Classics Roadster AC Cobra manufactured in 1992. This is my first kit car but not my first build. I am installing a stroked 460 with a top loader 4 speed. The mounts that came with the kit were for a 428. After setting the engine it looks like it sits too high and about two inches forward. I am going to need a set of headers and side pipes. I believe that will let me know where to set the engine.
I also need advice on the radiator. I want to keep this thing cool. I have had trouble in the past with cooling and had to go to a larger radiator after the build. It is a lot easier to do it right the first time. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
There's a forum on CC specific to Classic Roadsters - it may be best to browse some of the threads and post your question(s) there. Classic Roadsters II - Club Cobra

Good luck on your build!
Old 07-15-2017, 08:01 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: All original, with Chevy engine since 1964
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by cycleguy55 View Post

Good luck on your build!
Yes, and good luck finding those headers. I don't think Classic Roadsters ever designed headers for the 385 series Ford engine, so you may have to go full custom on the exhaust, or you might get lucky and find a set of 460 headers from another kit that will fit your car.

Definietly go on the Classic Roadster forum like CycleGuy suggested, and get in contact with Ed Combs (double venom)- He's the living encyclopedia on all things related to Classic Roadsters.
cycleguy55 likes this.
Old 07-15-2017, 11:32 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast, 460 CID
Not Ranked     

Try Stainless Headers Mfg. - they build for various replicas / kit cars, but they also have a "unique header fixturing device makes it possible to get perfect header to side pipe alignment for your cobra without having the car at our location. Once put into place, just tighten the locking bolts. Our craftsmen will reproduce your exact configuration."

Video: https://youtu.be/go9raemoXDk

Cobra Kit Car Headers - Stainless Headers Mfg., Inc.
moore_rb and CJCobra427 like this.
Old 07-17-2017, 06:11 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Stainless Headers does not manufacture headers anymore for special applications. These guys work with SH and their facility is right down the road. They made my headers and mine were a nightmare. The cost was $1200 for 304 stainless.

Cobra Kit Headers - GPHeaders, Inc.

Last edited by joyridin'; 07-21-2017 at 04:48 AM..
Old 07-18-2017, 08:41 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Midstates,SBF 357
Not Ranked     
Default headers

call Dana at shell valley He may be able to help
Old 07-20-2017, 04:03 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I've built 2 CR's from scratch. The sidepipes from Shelby Cobra Kit Cars : [Ultimate Classic Cars] mostly resemble the CR. You are going to have to build your own headers or have someone built them....but it is very expensive. I will measure the radiator I went with. You can shop for Ebay if you know your dimensions and inlet/outlet configuration. Got to take measurements on engine placement for the air cleaner and make sure the distributor doesn't hit under the hood. Good luck. CR's are GREAT cars but sucks if you don't have all the parts.
Old 07-20-2017, 05:02 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RCR GT 40 & 1966 Fairlane 390 5 speed
Not Ranked     
Smile

I had a radiator made for a Cobra a couple years ago. Cost was $325.

You give them the all dimensions of the radiator you want and they manufacture it.

C,G, & J Inc.
Old 07-20-2017, 08:32 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Dana at Shell Valley is awesome. He made some quick jacks for me to fit my CR that have different bolts spacing than any other cobra I know of.