Club Cobra Keith Craft Racing  

Go Back   Club Cobra > General Discussion > Club Cobra Introduction Forum (introduce yourself)

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree21Likes
  • 1 Post By Brasilcat
  • 1 Post By 1985 CCX
  • 2 Post By twobjshelbys
  • 1 Post By 1985 CCX
  • 1 Post By spdbrake
  • 1 Post By twobjshelbys
  • 1 Post By mrmustang
  • 3 Post By Buzz
  • 1 Post By Ron61
  • 2 Post By twobjshelbys
  • 1 Post By Brasilcat
  • 3 Post By 1SwtRide
  • 1 Post By cycleguy55
  • 1 Post By vntgspd
  • 1 Post By CNGreen

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-30-2017, 05:05 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Thumbs up New Cobra afficionado from California

Hi everyone,

I have loved fast cars all my life, finally settled on the classic qualities and looks of the Cobra.

I met with Frank in Florida and test drove a Backdraft this week.

Loved the car, the engine and everything about the car.

I would appreciate everyone's feedback. I'm inclined to buy a complete car, since, I'm not confident in my mechanic skills. However, it would be nice to build it from scratch using a rolled frame.

I'm hoping to have it in the garage by next summer.

Let the excitement begin.
1985 CCX likes this.
Old 08-30-2017, 05:52 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AK1085 (302), HTM111 (427 Comp), CSX2375R (289 Comp) and Scratch 427 S/C
Not Ranked     

Awesome you have the bug!
Buy a car is my opinion!
Unless you have great sourcing, skills, $ and lots of time, buy a car....

Plan your budget....
$$ will determine what you should look at.
Where in Cali are you?

my $0.02
Brasilcat likes this.

Last edited by 1985 CCX; 08-30-2017 at 06:00 PM..
Old 08-30-2017, 06:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX4005LA, Roush 427IR
Not Ranked     

You don't say what your budget is. That really helps.

Buy a finished and sorted car. If you're not mechanically inclined, or simply don't want to tinker, then a Cobra might not be for you. All of them to some degree or another require "maintenance". They are 60's race cars after all. Getting fuel injection will help some but don't go so far as to get a Cobra with a Coyote. Just as well get a Corvette.

Never buy a car that you haven't sat in personally. They are all different in the way they "fit". I tried on a Superformance and found that when the seat was in the most comfortable position for reaching the pedals that the steering wheel rubbed on my lap. If you can't see the car in person, then at least "try on" cars from the same manufacturer.

Never buy a car sight unseen. If you can't see it your self then get a per-purchase Inspection (PPI) by a reputable Cobra expert.

Look on 427 Cobra Country--Ford AC Cobra replica manufacturers SUPER-SITE for cars for sale. It's the best place to find one.
1795 and Brasilcat like this.
Old 08-30-2017, 06:32 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1985 CCX View Post
Awesome you have the bug!
Buy a car is my opinion!
Unless you have great sourcing, skills, $ and lots of time, buy a car....

Plan your budget....
$$ will determine what you should look at.
Where in Cali are you?

my $0.02
Hi Jeff,
Thank you for the 2 cents. I'm in Downey near LA. I'm still deciding on the budget. It looks like if I'm going with a new complete build the way I envision, I'll be spending about $70K - $75K.

A lot less for a used one, maybe $35 - $40K, then I'll surely end up spending money on cosmetics, appearance and engine??

Lots of research and decisions ahead. I'll be visiting Forty Five to see what their set up looks like up-close.

Cheers
Old 08-30-2017, 06:37 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AK1085 (302), HTM111 (427 Comp), CSX2375R (289 Comp) and Scratch 427 S/C
Not Ranked     

Well I would suggest a nice HiTech!
There is a great one here in the NE that is very top notch in my book.

Text me at number below. I will be in Cali in coming weeks, maybe we could meet talk cars?
Brasilcat likes this.
Old 08-30-2017, 06:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

The west Coast BDR dealer is Millerspeed on Redondo Beach about 45 min from you.
https://www.facebook.com/millerspeedinc/

The shops are independent, not like dropping into any Chevy dealer for warranty work.
It can pay to buy local if your buying new.
Brasilcat likes this.
Old 08-30-2017, 07:46 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR chassis and suspension, Mr. Bruce 289 FIA body
Not Ranked     

Where do you live in CA?
Old 08-30-2017, 09:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brasilcat View Post
Hi Jeff,
Thank you for the 2 cents. I'm in Downey near LA. I'm still deciding on the budget. It looks like if I'm going with a new complete build the way I envision, I'll be spending about $70K - $75K.

A lot less for a used one, maybe $35 - $40K, then I'll surely end up spending money on cosmetics, appearance and engine??

Lots of research and decisions ahead. I'll be visiting Forty Five to see what their set up looks like up-close.

Cheers
Regarding your price ranges. Your bogey for a used anything that would be in the 70k new is going to much closer of not over new vs 1/2 that. The reason is that the new ones keep going up and the week done properly sorted out examples follow. This applies to almost all major manufacturers.
Brasilcat likes this.
Old 08-30-2017, 09:58 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill D View Post
Where do you live in CA?
Hi Bill,
I live in Downey. I lived in the South Bay for 15 years Redondo Beach
Old 08-31-2017, 03:45 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     

I'd suggest you get together with a local or semi local Cobra club and sit in and ride in more than just one brand of "Cobra" replica. Forget about the hype and the sales pitches and spend a little time truly researching the car(s) as they are all a little different.

As for new vs used, your time, your money, but when looking at a used Cobra, spend a little more time watching the market, as 35-40K may get you a used Cobra, spending a little more 45-55K gets you a much better, low mileage one.

Just my two cents worth as someone who has been successfully putting buyers and sellers together (without charge) for 30+ years

Bill S
Brasilcat likes this.

First time Cobra buyers-READ THIS
Old 08-31-2017, 04:59 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 427SC 383 stroker
Not Ranked     

Those advising you to get to know your local Cobra club members, talk with them and become familiar with the major brands of replicas are spot on.

Other than the fact that they're all a bit different, there are other factors that will affect the medium to long term appreciation and enjoyment of the replica you choose and buy.

The issue of authenticity to the original is a big factor in the amount of "respect" (which influences market value) a Cobra gets among aficionados and enthusiasts. If you just want a Cobra-like hot rod to blast around in, that may not matter, but if you are becoming a Cobra enthusiast, you might place a higher value on authenticity, which will become more and more obvious to your eye as you learn more about the marque.

There are some brands that are known (and duly respected) for having accurately shaped bodies that sit with the "correct" low stance with wheels tucked sleekly under the wheel arches; and there are other brands that only vaguely resemble a Cobra with jacked-up rear ends and tires bulging out the sides, dual roll bars, plush cushy interiors and modern-trend paint jobs.

Except for the extreme variants, most of the general public won't spot the differences, but knowledgeable car (and Cobra) enthusiasts will. Many people who choose the more "interpreted" brands - like Backdraft for example - love them for what they are and don't care as much about originality.

A great example can be seen in this thread where an owner documents his custom build of a pretty spectacular and formidable Coyote-powered Backdraft: Let me introduce BDR 1591 aka VMS Mayhem

Do a search here and read up on some of the ERA and other builds of some awesomely beautiful and impressively accurate Cobras that awe the faithful with their attention to detail and stunning finished appearance. Here is just one example: First Pics of ERA #795

There are those and just about everything in between. Get to know the current major brands like Factory Five (FFR), Hurricane, Superformance, Unique and Backdraft as well as the premium pinnacle brands like Kirkham and Shelby.

Don't rush - take your time to decide where your heart lies in the broad spectrum of Cobra enthusiasm and if you even decide you still want one, then your decision will be that much more satisfying in the end.

All the best and keep us posted.
1SwtRide, ACHiPo and Brasilcat like this.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the strength to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference. -(wasn't me)

BEWARE OF THE DOGma!! Dogmatism bites...

Last edited by Buzz; 08-31-2017 at 06:05 AM..
Old 08-31-2017, 05:00 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I agree with Bill. Go to some local shows and Cobra clubs and talk to the people and find out what they like and dislike about their Cobras and look at the different brands. Get a ride in some if them if you can. Also what are you going to do with yours. Race it, drive it, or show it. And what engine transmission combination do you want. Their are a million things to consider. If you do decide to buy one already going, try to get someone you trust who knows what to look for to go look it over and ask questions. Best of luck and welcome to the Cobra world.

Ron
Brasilcat likes this.

View my Miscellaneous Gallery
Old 08-31-2017, 10:47 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Also be aware that California has some draconian registration requirements for Cobras that require a fair amount of footwork. It will help save time if you buy a car in state that already has the SB100 paperwork done.
Blue66 and Brasilcat like this.
Old 08-31-2017, 11:13 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Lots of great insight from all of you. It is much appreciated. I'll surely take my time and try to do all my homework, trying to resist that impulse purchase.
Buzz likes this.
Old 08-31-2017, 11:46 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: VMS BDR - 5.0 Aluminator - Whipplecharged
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz View Post

Except for the extreme variants, most of the general public won't spot the differences, but knowledgeable car (and Cobra) enthusiasts will. Many people who choose the more "interpreted" brands - like Backdraft for example - love them for what they are and don't care as much about originality.

A great example can be seen in this thread where an owner documents his custom build of a pretty spectacular and formidable Coyote-powered Backdraft: Let me introduce BDR 1591 aka VMS Mayhem

Don't rush - take your time to decide where your heart lies in the broad spectrum of Cobra enthusiasm and if you even decide you still want one, then your decision will be that much more satisfying in the end.

All the best and keep us posted.
Exceedingly well thought out post. I'm Mayhem's owner. While I'm somewhat mechanically inclined, I knew when starting my journey that I'd want to work with a shop that is semi-local (3 hours in my case) so I had the ability to get the car to and from the shop (Vintage Motorsports) if I needed things fixed/tweaked or wanted to have more modifications done down the road.

I have great respect for the builders/manufacturers who stay true to the original Cobra's dimensions, engines, etc. At the same time, however, I knew I wanted a build that would stretch what I think could be accomplished with the original set up. Funny thing, I didn't choose a Backdraft Racing Cobra; rather, I chose Vintage Motorsports for the types and quality of builds they do. VMS's platform of choice just happens to be BDR.

This brings me full circle - if you have a shop within a reasonable geographic distance of your home, I suggest going there to see what make of Cobra replica they use/build, and ask questions. At a minimum, you'll get information to help guide your final choice and meet other gear heads.

Feel free to PM with any questions. Best of luck on your fun adventure!
Buzz, Ron61 and Brasilcat like this.
Old 08-31-2017, 03:57 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast, 460 CID
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brasilcat View Post
Hi Jeff,

Cheers
I assume when you wrote 'Forty Five' you meant to write 'Factory Five Racing' ("FFR") - almost certainly the highest volume manufacturer of kits / replicas.

Regardless, if you get the chance to visit FFR (or any other replica manufacturer), you'll quickly see that frames are designed and built for each marque. There is no "build it from scratch using a rolled frame" option. Even if you were to find a Cobra that had been rolled, you'd have to be VERY careful to ensure you're starting with a frame that's straight and true in all dimensions. Not for the faint of heart, and certainly not for someone with minimal mechanical skills.

Perhaps your reference to "build it from scratch using a rolled frame" comes from the misconception that FFR's 'donor build' model actually uses a frame from another vehicle. It does not - the donor build refers to buying a Mustang and cannibalizing it for certain, select parts - none of which are the 'frame'. Most modern automobiles are unibody construction anyway, so none have frames in the traditional sense.

Good luck with your choice, whichever way you choose to go.
Brasilcat likes this.
Old 09-01-2017, 09:20 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #347
Not Ranked     

I'm thinking he means buying a "roller" kit when he says roller frame but your guess is as good as mine.

I'm local to Downey and happy to help as others have suggested.

Jeff - I'd love to treat you to lunch or something when you are in Cali if you have time. I'm considering my next step in the Cobra world in the next year or two so I'd love to chat and get some of your wealth of knowledge!
Brasilcat likes this.
Old 09-01-2017, 01:23 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR MKIII, FMS BOSS 302 "B" cam
Not Ranked     

Lots of Cobra folks in So-Cal. I'm down in OC but Would be happy to talk about Cobras, FFR in particular. There are also local gatherings you can attend.

Brasilcat likes this.
Old 09-01-2017, 02:44 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Cool, I would think there are quite a few of us Cobra lovers in the area.
I'm down to meet whenever you have time. If you know of any Cobra meets, please let me know.

Feel free to message me for my Contact info.

Thank you.

Paulo
Old 09-01-2017, 02:47 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by vntgspd View Post
I'm thinking he means buying a "roller" kit when he says roller frame but your guess is as good as mine.

I'm local to Downey and happy to help as others have suggested.

Jeff - I'd love to treat you to lunch or something when you are in Cali if you have time. I'm considering my next step in the Cobra world in the next year or two so I'd love to chat and get some of your wealth of knowledge!
Ok, hopefully. I get this valuable piece of information ingrained in my head sooner than later :@

Yes, I mean, Roller Kit, I guess