Club Cobra Keith Craft Motorsports  

Go Back   Club Cobra > General Discussion > Club Cobra Introduction Forum (introduce yourself)

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-27-2017, 06:50 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Midstates/Shell Valley Street Cobra
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by FWB View Post
Bartruff1, why stop there, the lack of modern gizmos should include no seat belts too.
since they weren't on cars in 1964, and maybe add some asbestos heat shields too for that mesothelioma feeling. that's all for now, i have a dentist appt. getting some lead fillings today.
Just say no to drugs...
Old 12-27-2017, 06:59 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX4005LA, Roush 427IR
Not Ranked     

I would avoid ebay like the plague unless the car is local and you can inspect it in person. Like I said, you need to test the car for fit and operation. Sight unseen Cobras can be a disaster.
Old 12-27-2017, 06:45 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance, 427 FE
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by twobjshelbys View Post
I chose a CSX for that precise reason! I sat in both and the steering wheel on the SPF hit me in the lap.

Bottom line and the advice I give everyone is that you SHALL NOT buy any Cobra until you sit in THAT CAR! This is especially true if you are looking at models that are more than a few years older than one that you test fit. SPF made several changes as the generations progressed so fitting in a newer one won't necessarily mean you'll fit in an older one. Same for early CSX vs later ones. Just try it on.

Note that CSX come with defroster/heater too. (At least mine did) It's required! Don't get one without it. First time I was in a little bit of rain the windshield fogged up. (The wind kept the rain out, until I happened to hit a stop light!)
Yes, go try them on. And like you said here, different years may also be different.
I can tell you that if I would have fit better or the same in the CSX, I would have bought it.
Old 12-28-2017, 06:55 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Regarding fit - if everything else about the car is what you want but the fit is a little off you need to consider that unless this is your first Cobra fitting yourself comfortably in these cars is a challenge. Only with some seat time does one become more and more comfortable in the car. That being said, if you fit but it's off a tad here and there many of these cars can be easily modified to accommodate some fitment barriers. Some tricks include removing seat foam, using a smaller diameter steering wheel, removing seat adjustment sliders, changing the seat mounting angle, changing the steering column angle, changing the pedal positions, etc..
Dwight and Dimis like this.
Old 12-28-2017, 07:33 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by twobjshelbys View Post
I would avoid ebay like the plague unless the car is local and you can inspect it in person. Like I said, you need to test the car for fit and operation. Sight unseen Cobras can be a disaster.
I FOUND mine on EBAY, but didn't buy it that way...most of the time you can circumvent the EBAY process by asking questions...It like anything else is just an advertising medium...

Regarding a carburetted vs FI engine, the Carbed Engine is simpler and easier for the shade tree mechainc to tune and maintain, yes a chokeless car will be a touch more finicky while warming up, but mine starts first crank every time. Where you have to be carefull is when they are warm, NEVER touvh the gas when starting or you will look silly cranking trough the flooding with the pedal down...And my 750XP performs flawlessly between sealevel and 6500 ft...
Old 12-28-2017, 12:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Midstates/Shell Valley Street Cobra
Not Ranked     

I have found it very inexpensive to have the seat positioned exactly where I want it to operate the car without any problems....I am 5'8" and 185 pounds....perhaps fitting is more of a problem for someone significantly larger or smaller or taller or shorter...
Old 12-29-2017, 07:56 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A&C 67 427 cobra SB
Not Ranked     

I can tell you over the years there have been a lot of threads on problems with Roush engines. Most were over valve stem seals. Now that was the manufacturer of the valve stem seals fault not Roush's fault (other than they picked the brand). It was how these people were treated that soured me.

Go to Kraft or Brent. I have went brain dead - I think Brent goes by Blykins on this site. He is on here all the time helping people. You couldn't deal with a better guy. He is located in Kentucky. Kraft is located closer to you - Arkansas if my memory serves. I have talked to the current owner Lance several times at the London Cobra show - which you should attend this year in June if you have not puchased by then. Lance is a great guy too. Lance worked for the founder Kieth Kraft and purchased the company.
Old 12-29-2017, 08:10 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A&C 67 427 cobra SB
Not Ranked     

I like EFI. It is expensive, so you want to buy the right setup the first time. Not all EFI is the same. In my opinion, throttle body systems are not much better than a carb. A lot of aftermarket stuff is aimed at drag racing. They are set up for Nitrous (or however you spell the laughing gas). These systems sell to a crowd who mainly care about idle and WOT. They don't much care about driving around on highways.

Personally I like Mass Flow based systems. They are theoretically superior. I believe all current manufactures have gone to it to meat the ever tightening EPA and mileage requirements. Do your research on this subject, too.

Realize that EFI and Cam choice are important considerations, when you build the engine.
Old 12-29-2017, 11:24 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2473, Roush 427R
Not Ranked     

Avoid Roush
Old 12-30-2017, 03:32 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique Fresh 427 S/O
Not Ranked     

I found my Cobra on Ebay, although I didn't make the transaction through them. I actually bought it sight unseen although the owner requested I come down and test drive it myself. He sent every pic I requested and answered every question honestly, even how old the battery was. After we finalized the deal and the Cobra was delivered, it was everything he said it was, actually even nicer than I expected. The only issue was the "cockpit" being a bit smaller than I expected. I fixed that by moving the seat back as far as it would go and placing two shock grommets under the front mounting bolts. Although the steering wheel is a bit closer than my daily driver, once I "climb in," it's pretty comfortable. I would say I was very fortunate to purchase my Cobra from such an honest and forthright individual.
Old 01-07-2018, 11:57 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Wanted: Backdraft 5.0L Coyote
Not Ranked     

Your discussion of resale value is interesting. I think it really comes down to % retention vs. $ retention. The more you spend up front, the larger the pendulum can swing in both directions.

Tags
csx, guidance, purchase, superformance