Club Cobra GasN Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > General Discussion > Club Cobra Introduction Forum (introduce yourself)

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By 1795
  • 1 Post By Bearwolf
  • 1 Post By 66gtk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-16-2018, 01:12 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: TBD
Not Ranked     
Default Wisconsin Newbie

Hi everyone. I've posted on here a few times, so thought maybe it's time to introduce myself. I'm currently living in SE Wisconsin, but we're building a house in the Springfield, MO area for when we retire in a couple years.

I grew up in an aviation family, but was the weird one that liked cars - especially really fast cars. I remember watching the Trans Am and Can Am races on tv and being mesmerized. I had neighbors with very cool cars they bought new - a 1962 Impala Convertible, a 1969 Mach 1 (a police officer owned that!), an Oldsmobile 442, and a Dodge Swinger. One neighbor was a Fiat mechanic, so he always had some cool cars. Unfortunately, I didn't have anyone to show me the ropes.

I started looking at Factory Five Racing Roadsters and was impressed by the kit and especially their Builder Forum community. As I looked at their 289 FIA/USRRC, I started researching the original cars and began thinking, "Wouldn't it be cool to have a fiberglass footbox like the originals? That's ok, I can powder coat the metal white. Wouldn't it be cool to have the pedals under the driver's floor? Nah, too difficult for me to do. Oh, how about a Salisbury rear end. I've gotta have that! Forget it, not possible. Etc, etc."

Then, I decided it would be smart to not go with the first kit I landed on, so I decided to check out some others, one of which was the ERA. Sold! I think ERA is the closest I can come to an accurate reproduction of a 1964 Shelby American Cobra FIA (for the cost). I still think the FFR Builder community is fantastic. The best? I couldn't say, but it is fantastic.

What's Next?
My wife and I have a hotel reservation to attend the 2019 London Cobra Show after which we hope to drive to New Britain and visit the ERA shop and plunk down a deposit on a 289FIA/USRRC. It's too early for a Build List, but I intend on a 289/302 (300HP +/- range) with engine, drive train, and cockpit appearing as original as is practical considering cost and safety (which is I believe is the ERA design philosophy). I REALLY like Ken Miles' CSX 2431 https://shelbyamericancollection.org...dster-csx2431/), but I just can't go with the USRRC competition windshield.

I guess that's it for now. Chime in, if you have thoughts, and thanks ahead of time for answering my future ignorant questions.

Terry
Old 10-16-2018, 02:46 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF MKII Riverside Racer FIA
Not Ranked     

Welcome to the madness. Both the 289 FIA or USRRC are wonderful cars. I thoroughly enjoy my FIA. Take your time and make it be what you want it to be. ERA makes a very nice car and Peter is good to work with. I like my Superformance, take your time, ask around and look at some cars in person to see what you like about them and what you do not.

Good luck in your search.

Jim
tgandy likes this.
Old 10-16-2018, 05:05 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA kit on order
Not Ranked     

You're not too far from me, I'm in Waukesha, WI, about 20 minutes out of Milwaukee.

If you have the funds, you should really consider mailing a deposit check in now instead of mid next year. I put a deposit down with ERA in August 2017 (14 months ago) and I'm still in line. I'm not complaining, perfection takes time, but if you can swing it, what could it hurt to get in line early? You'll be on the same list as me, FIA cars are awesome.
tgandy likes this.
Old 10-16-2018, 05:53 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks Bearwolf. I wish I could, but its a timing thing regarding the construction and all. But, I hear 'ya. I hope you get yours delivered before the snow flies.
Old 10-16-2018, 08:38 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Terry - I'm next door in MN. If you want an up close look and ride hit me up. I'm in the Minneapolis area. I'm enjoying my ERA FIA car a ton. Excellent choice!
Sawdust likes this.
Old 10-17-2018, 06:06 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66gtk View Post
Terry - I'm next door in MN. If you want an up close look and ride hit me up. I'm in the Minneapolis area. I'm enjoying my ERA FIA car a ton. Excellent choice!
What a beautiful car! I will definitely take you up on that. Probably not before next spring, I have a full plate. And, thank you!!! Beautiful car!

Terry
Old 10-17-2018, 06:54 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance #1950, Roush 402R, TKO600
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66gtk View Post
Absolutely gorgeous!