Club Cobra Gas - N Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > General Discussion > Club Cobra Introduction Forum (introduce yourself)

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By RUFdriver

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2019, 01:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: UCC GT 427
Neutral     
Default Howdy

I just bought a Backdraft Cobra at Barrett-Jackson! I had always admired Cobras from afar, but seeing a lot of cobbled kit cars I never looked too close. While attending Barrett-Jackson with a well known collector, he suggested I look at some of the higher end Cobra replicas, thinking there was some good value to be had.
We looked at several Cobra manufacturers, including Superformance, Backdraft and Factory Five. I was blown away by the quality of these replicas. I settled on the Backdraft #1792 in black with grey stripes and a Roush 427R. Went home, thought about it and made an offer. I should have the car delivered to Texas in a few weeks.
Coming from the Porsche world, I never thought I would walk out of there with a Cobra. I hope this car will scratch the itch for a raw, all business sports car. I haven’t felt since I sold my old 930.
Alfa02 likes this.

Last edited by RUFdriver; 01-20-2019 at 12:08 PM..
Old 01-19-2019, 02:14 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Looking to buy
Not Ranked     

Well, my itch for one is being scratched by my VSE.
Old 01-19-2019, 04:12 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: VMS BDR - 5.0 Aluminator - Whipplecharged
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUFdriver View Post
I hope this car will scratch the itch for a raw, all business sports car. I haven’t felt since I sold my old 930.
Owning both a Backdraft and 930, I'm confident your itch will be scratched. While the 930 is called the widowmaker, the power-to-weight of the Cobra is something to watch out for and enjoy! Best of luck and be sure to post up pictures.
Old 01-20-2019, 10:41 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance , Roush 427SR dyno'd at 526 hp
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUFdriver View Post
I just bought a Backdraft Cobra at Barrett-Jackson! I had always admired Cobras from afar, but seeing a lot of cobbled kit cars I never looked too close. While attending Barrett-Jackson with a well known collector, he suggested I look at some of the higher end Cobra replicas, thinking there was some good value to be had.
We looked at several Cobra manufacturers, including Superformance, Backdraft and Factory Five. I was blown away by the quality of these replicas. I settled on the Backdraft #1792 in black with grey stripes and a Roush 437R. Went home, thought about it and made an offer. I should have the car delivered to Texas in a few weeks.
Coming from the Porsche world, I never thought I would walk out of there with a Cobra. I hope this car will scratch the itch for a raw, all business sports car. I haven’t felt since I sold my old 930.
Did you mean to say it is a Roush 427R not a 437R?
Old 01-20-2019, 11:04 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Pacific Roadster, 347 cu.in. 5-speed
Not Ranked     

@RUFdriver, this Backdraft will indeed scratch your itch. Trust me Cobras are like nothing else you have driven. I have owned & (raced a few) many fast (Quick) euro cars in the last 40+years, the Cobra, can scare the s--t out of you in a heartbeat in 3rd gear at half throttle on a dry road!! Welcome to what we call "The madness of Cobra ownership" Please feel free, to ask any & all question's you have here, a great bunch of guy's. Cheers Tom.
Old 01-20-2019, 12:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX4005LA, Roush 427IR
Not Ranked     

The Roush 427R is a pretty torquey engine, be careful when starting off and shifting as it is easy to break the rear end loose. When downshifting don't do it unless you can rev match (which is difficult to do with a Cobra because of the horizontal offset of the throttle and brake pedal). If you can't remember the old saying "brakes go slow, accelerator go".

Don't ask me how I know of this advice.
Old 01-21-2019, 05:37 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Congratulations and welcome to the world of Cobras. As stated in the previous posts a Cobra drives like nothing you have driven before so get used to it before you try to impress people. If you have a track close that has a high performance driving school I would suggest that you attend that. I raced for years and I also went to several driving schools and I never failed to learn something at each school.

Ron

View my Miscellaneous Gallery
Old 01-21-2019, 09:35 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks guys! No plans to track this car at all, strictly a weekend toy. I have logged many track miles in various 911s, as well as the Porsche racing schools etc. I have enough experience and grey hair , I will definitely tread lightly as I learn the car.
Old 01-22-2019, 06:30 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR3542K, 347 C. I., EFI, T-5, Miata Front Sway Bar, 3 Link, Red with White Stripes
Not Ranked     

Congratulation on your new Baby. Bring it to the Texas Cobra Club Spring Meet in San Marcos the first weekend in April so we can drool on it. Texas Cobra Club Spring Meet
FFR3542K, 347, Holley Sniper EFI, T-5, 4 Wheel Discs, 3-Link, Miata Front Sway Bar, Red with White Stripes
Old 01-23-2019, 10:07 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Will do!
Old 01-23-2019, 10:46 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Everett-Morrison #1320, 514 BBF, Richmond, 3.73 , IRS
Send a message via AIM to Trubble Send a message via MSN to Trubble Send a message via Yahoo to Trubble
Not Ranked     

Congrats, and enjoy!

I remember the advice I got - dance real slow with her until you get to know her. Have done some Porsche schools way back in time. Anxious to get back to school since I am a relatively new owner of a Cobra myself. Will probably go to Mid-Ohio with the Ohio Cobra Club event this summer.