Club Cobra Keith Craft Motorsports  

Go Back   Club Cobra > General Discussion > Club Cobra Introduction Forum (introduce yourself)

Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Old 03-24-2020, 05:35 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Looking to buy my first Cobra 427 in Oz

G'Day All

I have long been a lover of the AC Cobra 427 and over the years I have owned many various sports cars (even a Bolwell Nagari at one time of which I'm sure you guys have never heard of) mostly Alfa's and over the last 10 years now Ferrari's my current car being a 2004 360 Spider (Manual) which I love dearly.

But I have never faltered in my passion for a really good 'authentic' 427 copy (is that an oxymoron?) and now that I am an old grumpy man with a bit of money for toys I'm looking to add a sibling to my Ferrari (they should get on famously right ) Just found this site and have joined up confident that I will learn much from the local natives on their home grown product

The big problem in Oz is twofold. Getting a good one (there is allot of real kit car quality crap out here) and getting one that is as authentic as possible in its looks, sound and feel. There are many great brands out there vying for my money such as Superformance, Factory Five, DAX and even some good local Oz brands such as Absolute Pace and their Pace 427 which has a truly inspiring chassis, a sight to behold, but not what I am looking for !?

I want to have a car with the look and feel of an original 427 as much as possible and not necessarily paying $USD 250,000 for the privilege. We have an agent here in Melbourne for Superformance who are the only licensed manufacturer outside of Shelby themselves who seem to have a good authentic body with accurate dimensions and a good solid chassis under it using typically a selection of Rousch engines. I would be looking most likely at the 427R motor. What to you yanks (I say that with love and affection ) think of Superformance? how good are they?

I would love to import a car from the US but this opens up a minefield of shipping costs and compliance issues. I also see that Shelby themselves have the CSX6000 continuation cars but I don’t think they are available in Oz and have no idea on price for them.

So from this vast pool of all Amerian Cobra knowledge what would you guys consider if you were in my shoes here in Oz. Remember I don’t want a 1000 HP supercharged mammoth fire breathing monster, I am looking for authenticity in looks, feel and even sound for a 427 right down to the 15" Good Year Eagle Billboard tyres which I think are an amazing look. 500 to 600 HP will be more than enough

Best Regs from Oz
Old 03-24-2020, 10:13 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX4005LA, Roush 427IR
Not Ranked     

I would encourage you to look at one of the small block cars. The 427 cars to me have too much underutilized power and for street use are always operating under their optimal power band. You've correctly identified the tradeoff by saying that you don't need a 1000hp car, but in my experience (having owned one) even 500 (which is what the Roush engines claim) is more than you can use safely.

Regarding import of either a Shelby CSX or a Superformance I'll let the experienced Aussie guys pipe in. However, from what I've seen you would be unlikely to be able to import a used completed car due to the engine requirements in Australia.
Old 03-24-2020, 05:10 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Thanks for that. Lets see if any of my Oz buddies can chime in here and share some of their own experiences in buying a Cobra in Oz
Old 03-24-2020, 07:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Theres a nice looking Kirkam already in-country.
https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/det...-5825603/?Cr=7
Old 03-24-2020, 07:38 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Just buy that one.
Old 03-24-2020, 10:26 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AP 289FIA 'English' spec.
Not Ranked     

Hello CobraAddict, and welcome.

I see you’re in Melbourne and that particular Kirkham mentioned above is located at Brighton. That’s much easier all-round being in the same State as you. It’s a carburetor car, so it would be a good idea to talk to some of your locals to see if that’s easily registerable. You could start with Anth Dimis (ID “Dimis” here on ClubCobra). Anth has a Kirkham as well. PM (ie personal message) him.

Also a great idea is to go to one of the Vic. Cobra Club meetings. Check their website …. https://www.cobracarclubvic.org.au/
I’m from Adelaide, and when I was in Melbourne a couple of months ago, I went along to their monthly meeting (details on their website) which was most beneficial.
You want information? Go to a meeting. Very friendly, too.

Cheers!
Glen
Old 03-25-2020, 11:42 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: F5 Roadster
Not Ranked     
Default 1st thing to do

Hi,
First thing to do is put a throttle stop on the gas so it only goes 1/2 way until you LEARN to drive all over again as a cobra does not handle like any other car, you can spin out or go sideways in less than a blink.
Good luck, Kirkham's are the best quality cobra out there.
Perry
dual 2" roll bars, warmed up 302, E Street aluminum Heads, Comp cam and roller rockers, AOD, 4.10 Eaton Possi, Power Baer/disc brakes, block hugger headers, 2 1/2" under car exhaust, F500 18" black spoke wheels.
Old 03-27-2020, 02:30 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by twobjshelbys View Post
Just buy that one.
Yes for sure I am aware of this one and a a 'beautiful car'

Ticks all my boxes (apart from colour) however is simply out of my price range. I need to keep it as a max in the mid to high 100's !
Old 03-27-2020, 02:38 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

In terms of a more affordable glass bodied copy I'm confident I can get the body trim, wheels/tyres, interior etc looking pretty authentic to a 65/66 427 AC but I have some questions about the following;

Colour

I love the royal blue and indigo blue however again I want to be period correct. What were the official blue's used on the 427s at the time? What was the most popular? Can you still get the same colour?

Engine

Of course a key element and where possible I want to try to stay true to the marque. Fair to say I can't get a genuine small block 427 FE side oiler nowadays however there seems to be a plethera of suppliers offering 'crate engines' said to be built to original 60's style. Short of buying a 'continuation car' from Shelby with its shelby motor Roush seems to come up as the best option (please corerct me if wrong). I am aware of the Shelby ALUMINUM 427 FE; 468CID (550HP) but it an all aluminium motor (not period) and rather pricy!

Any suggestion for a good engine?

Transmission

All I know is they used a 5 speed top loader and that everyone seems to like Tremec boxes. Is that true and what model would be best? Again happy to stay true to 5 speed.

What are your thought on transmissions?

Differential

The original car used a salisbury 4HU differential and rear axle and as far as I can see you can still get them relatively easily. So I guess my thoughts are on that for now! Your thoughts?

Brakes/Suspension

Unless I'm prepared to pay big $$ for a continuation car I have to be realistic in terms of my bid for 'authenticity'. I'm not so fussed with this part as I accept it has to be of a modern standard however not looking for 6 pot Brembo with machined/drilled ventillated discs or carbon fibre for that matter ! Again Superformance seem to have a good solid chasis and brakes/suspension offering as standard. What do you think?

I appreciate your taing the time to give me some of your learned thoughts

Best Regs from Oz

Andrew
Old 03-27-2020, 11:26 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by CobraAddict View Post
Yes for sure I am aware of this one and a a 'beautiful car'

Ticks all my boxes (apart from colour) however is simply out of my price range. I need to keep it as a max in the mid to high 100's !
Is that AU$? For US$150K-200K in the US that would get you a top end car. Not quite Kirkham aluminum but a CSX fiberglass and Superformances well equipped.

I saw your questions on the Shelby forum. You should repost them here. The Mustang crowd over there isn't the best place. You'll get the broad spectrum here.

You should read topics of specific interest. For example, you'll find a ton of topics related to engine choices with comments from those that build them (and there are many choices of reliable builders here that don't exist in the modern Mustang oriented Shelby forum).
Old 03-27-2020, 11:29 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Additionally, I would repost your original topic in the Australia subforum as I get the feeling that most of the Aussies might not read all of the broader forums. xb-60 is a well-known commentator here!!!
Old 03-27-2020, 12:24 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: F5 Roadster
Not Ranked     
Default check

Hi,
A few years ago a club member bought a used superformace cobra. He found it had horrible bump steer and was dangerous to drive. Had it fixed at alignment shop. So there is more to just looking at a cobra when you purchase one.
Perry
dual 2" roll bars, warmed up 302, E Street aluminum Heads, Comp cam and roller rockers, AOD, 4.10 Eaton Possi, Power Baer/disc brakes, block hugger headers, 2 1/2" under car exhaust, F500 18" black spoke wheels.
Old 03-27-2020, 06:38 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AP 289FIA 'English' spec.
Not Ranked     

Hi again Andrew.

Answers to some of your questions…

427 colours….the most popular blue on original 427 cars was Guardsman Blue.

Engines….you are correct, original 427 cars had 427FE (and 428FE) engines, but they are definitely big block engines.
The 351W, punched out to 427 cubic inches by Roush and others, is a small block, and was not fitted to the American Shelby 427 Cobras.

Gearboxes….yes, original 427 cars used a Toploader 4 speed gearbox. There was not a 5 speed version of the Toploader.
The Tremec 5 speed transmissions are a popular choice in 427 replicas.

Differential….I know a little about the 289 and 427 diffs, but plenty on this forum know a lot more. Here’s a starting point... http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/all-...erentials.html

Bottom line though…. talk to others in your home State. Advice from this forum is of no help if you can’t get your car passed by your Victorian registration department.

And continue asking questions here on Club Cobra.

Cheers!
Glen
Old 03-27-2020, 08:55 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by xb-60 View Post
Hello CobraAddict, and welcome.

I see you’re in Melbourne and that particular Kirkham mentioned above is located at Brighton. That’s much easier all-round being in the same State as you. It’s a carburetor car, so it would be a good idea to talk to some of your locals to see if that’s easily registerable. You could start with Anth Dimis (ID “Dimis” here on ClubCobra). Anth has a Kirkham as well. PM (ie personal message) him.

Also a great idea is to go to one of the Vic. Cobra Club meetings. Check their website …. https://www.cobracarclubvic.org.au/
I’m from Adelaide, and when I was in Melbourne a couple of months ago, I went along to their monthly meeting (details on their website) which was most beneficial.
You want information? Go to a meeting. Very friendly, too.

Cheers!
Glen
Thanks Glen

Yes got onto this site. Unfortunately due to the Coronamania we are all going through it might be a while before I get to speak with any of these guts direclty !

Regs
Andrew
Old 03-27-2020, 08:57 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighPlainsDrifter View Post
Hi,
First thing to do is put a throttle stop on the gas so it only goes 1/2 way until you LEARN to drive all over again as a cobra does not handle like any other car, you can spin out or go sideways in less than a blink.
Good luck, Kirkham's are the best quality cobra out there.
Perry
Dually noted..... can't wait
Old 03-27-2020, 09:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Is that AU$? For US$150K-200K in the US that would get you a top end car. Not quite Kirkham aluminum but a CSX fiberglass and Superformances well equipped.

I saw your questions on the Shelby forum. You should repost them here. The Mustang crowd over there isn't the best place. You'll get the broad spectrum here.

You should read topics of specific interest. For example, you'll find a ton of topics related to engine choices with comments from those that build them (and there are many choices of reliable builders here that don't exist in the modern Mustang oriented Shelby forum).

YI have based my budget on a good Superformance! The Kirkham is lovely but at $AUD 220 plus on road you can buy an awful lot of other supercars at that sort of price. Not sure I can justify that on what is still a repo all be it a great one.
If I do this I will commit to a proper car that meets my desires. There are allot of DYI and borderline Hot Rods for sale in Oz as well at far lower prices but that does not interest me.

A few months back it would have been lower however at the moment the Oz dollar is about on par with the Italian Lira so I have to make allowances. To be honest I am not planning to commit until I have done my 'thorough' due diligence which will lead me to the end of the year anyway. It’s like trying to swim through molasses getting myself educated on the Cobra and all the options available.
Old 03-27-2020, 09:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Has anyone tried to import a good car from the US and convert to RHD. Say a Superformance, Backdraft, Factory Five etc. Can you get the Shelby CSX6000 here in OIz at all?

Last edited by CobraAddict; 03-27-2020 at 09:17 PM..
Old 03-27-2020, 09:15 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

[quote=twobjshelbys;1473940]Is that AU$? For US$150K-200K in the US that would get you a top end car. Not quite Kirkham aluminum but a CSX fiberglass and Superformances well equipped.

You guys are so lucky when it comes to Cobra's. Soooo many great options and at very good prices

Last edited by CobraAddict; 03-27-2020 at 09:20 PM..
Old 03-27-2020, 09:24 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by xb-60 View Post
Hi again Andrew.

Answers to some of your questions…

427 colours….the most popular blue on original 427 cars was Guardsman Blue.

Engines….you are correct, original 427 cars had 427FE (and 428FE) engines, but they are definitely big block engines.
The 351W, punched out to 427 cubic inches by Roush and others, is a small block, and was not fitted to the American Shelby 427 Cobras.

Gearboxes….yes, original 427 cars used a Toploader 4 speed gearbox. There was not a 5 speed version of the Toploader.
The Tremec 5 speed transmissions are a popular choice in 427 replicas.

Differential….I know a little about the 289 and 427 diffs, but plenty on this forum know a lot more. Here’s a starting point... http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/all-...erentials.html

Bottom line though…. talk to others in your home State. Advice from this forum is of no help if you can’t get your car passed by your Victorian registration department.

And continue asking questions here on Club Cobra.

Cheers!
Glen

Thanks Glen, great stuff. Much needed information

The engine is a big deal for me and of course a big part of a good Cobra repo. Roush have FE engines but no 427/428 that I can see. In turn there are heaps of crate engine suppliers claiming to have 427 engines. If I wanted to find a 427/428 FE (side oiler) copy/best alternative what would be the best to consider. I see even Shelby sells an all Aluminium block 427 but to me it not the same (plus big $$$)
Old 03-27-2020, 09:26 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Additionally, I would repost your original topic in the Australia subforum as I get the feeling that most of the Aussies might not read all of the broader forums. xb-60 is a well-known commentator here!!!
Ahh ok did not know there was one !