Club Cobra Keith Craft Racing  

Go Back   Club Cobra > General Discussion > Club Cobra Introduction Forum (introduce yourself)

Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By twobjshelbys

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-04-2021, 10:04 AM
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Cool Hello from Long Beach, CA

Hello from Long Beach, CA.

New member to the forum.... starting research on Cobra 427s.... build or buy? leaning towards build... but so many kit options. FFR MKIV looks good, but just starting to look, so more to come on that.

when looking at buying options... range from 50k to 250k!!! why such a large price range?!?!

I really enjoy building. first car was a 66 Mustang back when i was teen and restored that with my dad. Many upgrades on a 2003 350Z when it first came one. Just finished (but never really finished) with a R56 Mini Cooper JCW - mostly suspension work done here.
Old 03-05-2021, 07:07 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR #168 427W 66+K miles and counting
Not Ranked     

003:

Cobras are like airplanes: you can spend as much as you have and still be looking for more. You are starting into the fun part.

Can't help you with build information. I bought a Backdraft almost 17 years ago and have been working on it ever since....

Factory Five is the outfit that really got things rolling in the DIY part of the biz, and are good guys to boot.

Alistair Miller at Millerspeed in Redondo Beach was a Backdraft distributor but has gone mostly into repair nowadays, could be a great source of info.

Good luck!

"If your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt"
Old 03-05-2021, 08:25 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 427 manowar forged crank roller rockers . BIG CAM.
Not Ranked     

Good luck I would say if you got the time money and most of all talent go for it. If you are older wiser and have respect and knowledge for what it takes to build and paint a show car then I would say buy one . you will spend twice as much as you think trying to build a proper one. backdraft superformance and era would be my choices All for different reasons and in that exact order.FYI I spent two years looking hard before I purchased my backdraft. Hope this helps.
Old 03-05-2021, 09:47 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique FIA
Not Ranked     

I would add Unique Motorcars to the list. I have had an ERA and presently have a Unique.
Both excellent manufacturers, both excellent folks to deal with.

There are some differences between makes, mechanically and body shape. Make sure to attend meets where you can see some different makes to compare. There should be plenty of fun opportunities around Long Beach!
Old 03-05-2021, 09:36 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique Motorcars 289 USRRC, 1964 289 stroked to 331, toploader
Not Ranked     
Thumbs up Indeed!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8litercobra View Post
I would add Unique Motorcars to the list. I have had an ERA and presently have a Unique.
Both excellent manufacturers, both excellent folks to deal with.

There are some differences between makes, mechanically and body shape. Make sure to attend meets where you can see some different makes to compare. There should be plenty of fun opportunities around Long Beach!

A hearty second on Unique Motorcars! Become adopted by the fam!

Paul

Unique Motorcars 289 USRRC
1964 289 5-bolt block
Toploader and 3.31 rear
Old 03-06-2021, 12:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2291, Whipple Blown & Injected 4V ModMotor
Not Ranked     

Decide how much you want to spend then add 15% for the oh yeah I should of stuff. Buy and build to your budget.

Ed

Help them do what they would have done if they had known what they could do.
Old 03-06-2021, 12:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX4005LA, Roush 427IR
Not Ranked     

There are lots of considerations in what you want.

1. Do not build a Cobra because you think you'll save money.

2. Building one takes a long time. More kits are abandoned than finished. If you are doing it because you love fabrication that's a different story; if you think you can build to get a cobra cheap please buy one.

3. It comes down to do you want to spend a whole lot more money thinking you'll get a car and having it take 5 years in the garage or shop, having to buy tools you'll use only once and probably even a lift, or do you want to take that money, just buy one and enjoy driving it for the 5 years and then decide if the one you got is right for you and get a different one.

4. If indeed you're in it for the love of fabrication, but you've never done it before, there are lots of other "kits" that are cheaper and simpler than a Cobra for a first time builder. This increases your chances of less stressful progress and successful completion. Try one of those and then if you still like doing it get the Cobra.

Please read the forum topics and history and use search for the stories about incompleted cars that are bought for pennies on the dollar and then people have to spend tons of money locating or making parts that are no longer made.

But like I said, you'll buy a finished car for what you'll have in a kit and get to use it for years before your kit would be complet.
eschaider and hauss like this.

Last edited by twobjshelbys; 03-06-2021 at 07:01 PM..