Club Cobra Gas - N Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > General Discussion > Club Cobra Introduction Forum (introduce yourself)

Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-03-2022, 02:59 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default New Member New SPF MKII Ordered

Hello all!

Just joined the forum and am looking forward to lots of reading, lots of learning, and generally wearing out the search button!

I am new to the Cobra world but not the car hobby. I'm pretty active in the Ford GT community and the classic Mustang world.

I just put my deposit down on an SPF MKII and the chassis is scheduled to arrive in 12 months. I do not know yet what engine to install so my research is starting here. I am intending to do the drivetrain install myself.

Looking forward to getting to know you guys and sponge up some of your wisdom!

-Chris
Dana E., LMH, CompClassics and 1 others like this.
Old 11-03-2022, 05:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX4005LA, Roush 427IR
Not Ranked     

Wow, long time since you were on the Ford GT forum. I had both as well. Overall, I'd buy the Cobra again before I'd get another GT. My wife hated the Cobra but after I got her a car with air conditioning, regular seat belts, a power port for her ipod she didn't go anywhere with me anyway.

My car had a Roush 427IR which is Windsor based. Mine was fuel injected which you might find beneficial if you drive through altitude changes. Other choice is a FE.

Get the Tremec tranny.

There are parts supply issues plaguing a lot of the engine builders you find here so if you want an engine arrival to coincide with your chassis you should get started with your purchase post-haste.

You're correct in using search and soaking up the existing knowledge. You'll find that almost anything you can ask has already been asked and answered, and most of those multiple times.

PS. What happened to the Florida part of your old name?

PS. I didn't connect that yours is a 289 car. Good choice. I always thought the 427's were "over powered" and weren't happy on the street and begged to have the cobwebs blown out after a few miles of street driving. Sources are all still struggling with component availability so start searching now. You might also want to consider an crate engine from Ford or Roush if they have them in stock. Just don't let any GM product get near your car.

Last edited by twobjshelbys; 11-05-2022 at 02:49 PM..
Old 11-03-2022, 05:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance
Not Ranked     

Congratulations!

...and I second the suggestion to get your engine build under way ASAP. My SPF MKIII arrived in late August and I'm still waiting on Roush to build my 427SR. It really sucks to see my awesome car sitting at the dealer with no engine in it.

I also went with Tremec - a brand new TKX in my case. I have high expectations, but it seems like it may be a bit before I have it on the road.

In any case, best wishes for a quick build! Once your car ships, make sure to get the container number from SPF; you can track your car across the Atlantic with several web apps. Not sure it helps with the wait, but it's fun.
Old 11-04-2022, 01:12 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Pacific Roadster, 347 cu.in. 5-speed
Not Ranked     

Congrats Chris, we as a group, wouldn't have to tell you to "Be Cool" till you get to know the new Cobra Being in Bonners Ferry, you may want to look up Tim & Jamie (Part of the PNW group, and just great people) as they live 40miles-north of Spokane. I will get you their contact's, just PM me. Welcome & Cheers Tom.
Old 11-04-2022, 05:42 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AC cox 2699 roadster Riverside FIA RSR2001
Not Ranked     

Congratulations Chris, Please contact me with your chassis number and I will keep you up to date with your build. I don/t know if you have been told by your dealer, but Blas and I put a manual together for the MK2. This covers both wiring diagram (Blas) and all the info needed for sourcing the required parts and tips how to.
Tel. 2896870274 or ross@riversideracers.com
Ross
bwcobra15, 1795 and Kthulu like this.
Old 11-04-2022, 01:49 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Alloy Shelby CSX 8057/Kirkham 1010, 289 Vintage Lykins Build
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idaho Chris View Post
Hello all!

Just joined the forum and am looking forward to lots of reading, lots of learning, and generally wearing out the search button!

I am new to the Cobra world but not the car hobby. I'm pretty active in the Ford GT community and the classic Mustang world.

I just put my deposit down on an SPF MKII and the chassis is scheduled to arrive in 12 months. I do not know yet what engine to install so my research is starting here. I am intending to do the drivetrain install myself.

Looking forward to getting to know you guys and sponge up some of your wisdom!

-Chris
Given that you have opted for a Mark II replica with a correct leaf-spring suspension and round tube chassis you might want to install a 289 (or variant thereof) providing a "correct" engine bay. IMO, it would be a "shame" to waste the authenticity of the car's "bones" by not following through with the engine as well. If you are interested in downstream value, adhering to "originality" will also usually translate into better valuation.

As others have noted, you need to get the engine underway ASAP. My 289 build was just finished after 10 months. Delays in supply chain and machining availability were the culprits. I can recommend Brent of Lykins Motorsports. He will custom build you an engine to your detailed requirements that will exceed your expectations. He can also help you spec out what makes the most sense for your needs and intended use of the car. Brent is quite busy, so you need to get in his queue, if that is the way you choose to go.
Old 11-05-2022, 02:45 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX4005LA, Roush 427IR
Not Ranked     

I just got a PM here and on another forum that Chris cannot reply to this topic. Something about a moderator needing to intervene... Please help.
Old 11-05-2022, 09:27 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

One nice thing about todays 289 engines is, you can have hydraulic roller rockers, which is the way to go! For that maters, you can do hydraulic roller rockers on a 260. Cheers, Dennis
Old 11-06-2022, 01:49 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by twobjshelbys View Post
I just got a PM here and on another forum that Chris cannot reply to this topic. Something about a moderator needing to intervene... Please help.
Not a moderator here, but on a sister forum:

Is he trying to attach something to his post? If so, remove the attachment, or remove his signature if he has created one, and he should be able to post.

Bill S.

First time Cobra buyers-READ THIS
Old 11-06-2022, 04:03 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF MKII Riverside Racer FIA
Not Ranked     

Nice! You will be more than satisfied with your choice. A great car! Ross (Riverside racer) was fully involved in the development of the MK II and is a great asset and great person as well!

Plenty of knowledge here, just ask.

Good luck.

Jim
Old 11-06-2022, 06:06 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Testing

Testing
Old 11-06-2022, 06:18 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Apparently I can't post if I include quotes from members. I still get the message about needing Moderator approval. Maybe I can respond without quoting anyone? I'll give that a try with this message.
Old 11-06-2022, 06:33 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Yeah, success!

So let’s do it this way without quotes:
I apologize if multiple similar/duplicate posts show up once a Moderator approves them, but for now perhaps this work around.

Tony-
Still active in the GT world and still have my GTs. Just don’t have time for all the forums I am interested in!
I dropped the ‘Florida’ part of my screen time since I now spend most of my time in Idaho.
My plan is to get an engine ordered before the end of the year along with transmission and other parts so I can drop the drivetrain in as soon as the chassis arrives.

Kthulu- I am going TKX on the transmission. I’ll probably buy it from Modern Driveline as I have had good experience with them in the past.
I’ll definitely look forward to tracking the car across the Atlantic. I did not know that was possible!

Tom- I’ll drop you a PM with my contact info. Thanks for your offer to introduce me to Tim and Jamie. Yeah, being in far North Idaho I am all too familiar with the conflict between cold damp roads and light high horsepower cars!

Ross- I don’t have a chassis number yet but will get it to you as soon as I have it. Thanks!

Nkb- One of the reasons I went with the Mark II is I planned to go small block 289 style. Current thinking is a 302 based crate motor disguised to look like a more or less correct 289. I am thinking HP and TQ in the +/-350 range. My wife is planning to drive the car on occasion and I think that will be more than enough!
Old 11-06-2022, 09:42 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Pacific Roadster, 347 cu.in. 5-speed
Not Ranked     

Chris haven't heard back from Tim & Jamie, I believe there on the road (Nothing more fun for Tim then Driving or riding his Motorcycle) As soon I hear back, I'll send you, their Info. I'm sure it's fine, but always like to check first. You're always welcome to come to the Seattle area to hang with us next year, we can put you on are mailing list. Got your PM Cheers Tom.
Old 11-06-2022, 03:53 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Alloy Shelby CSX 8057/Kirkham 1010, 289 Vintage Lykins Build
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Yeah, success!

I’ll definitely look forward to tracking the car across the Atlantic. I did not know that was possible!

Nkb- One of the reasons I went with the Mark II is I planned to go small block 289 style. Current thinking is a 302 based crate motor disguised to look like a more or less correct 289. I am thinking HP and TQ in the +/-350 range. My wife is planning to drive the car on occasion and I think that will be more than enough!
Yes, you can definitely track your car from South Africa so long as you get the shipping information from SPF/Shelby. Below is a typical image from tracking my car (on board the MSC Korea freighter) this year on its way TO South Africa to be assembled into an aluminum CSX 8000 roller and then shipped back to the US. I was able to see every day where the car was as it traversed the Atlantic. Only problem is when it got to the Hi Tech factory they have gone "radio silent" for the next 4 months and counting! No real info except that it had arrived.

I too decided on a period correct 289. Mine is in the 325 hp (net) / 340hp (gross) range which exceeds the original 271(gross) but should be quite comfortable, and no slouch, as a road car.
Old 11-06-2022, 04:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

nkb-

So cool to watch the ship!

What engine did you choose? Any details?
Old 11-06-2022, 05:53 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
nkb-

So cool to watch the ship!

What engine did you choose? Any details?
Custom build by Brent Lykins.

Lots of details on the engine build on YouTube (some 17 videos through the build process).

Last 2:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tPoSyIbydxE&t=27s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TgXO_y6R4ek&t=20s
Old 11-06-2022, 07:59 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SAI FIA, 289HP (5-bolt), 48IDA Webers
Not Ranked     

Congratulations!!!

What colors did you decide to go with?
I just finished up the this CSX8000 Series, basically the same car as the SPF Mk2 with a few changes. If you need any help when it comes time to do the drivetrain installation and if you need any help I’d love to help.
Attached Images

Old 11-06-2022, 11:43 PM
Senile Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Time Machines Motorsports LLC- Superformance Dealer
Not Ranked     

We have the correct alternator wire harness for the 289s: https://timemachineauto.com/parts-accessories/

http://www.timemachinesauto.com/
Old 11-07-2022, 09:57 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

nkb-

Thanks for the links to the videos. From all my reading/searching Brent Lykins seems to be well respected.

CompClassics-

Wow, that is a beautiful car! I certainly appreciate your offer of assistance.

I still do not know how far down the rabbit hole of authenticity I want to go. I guess what I am most after is the authentic period driving experience as opposed to whether I visually have the proper hose clamp or engine detail. That thinking may change as i have some months before delivery/assembly.

If asked why I want the car; I would answer because I want to drive the wheels off it and enjoy looking at that gorgeous bodywork in my garage! It will likely never see a car show but hopefully it will see some track time on a road course now and then.

My wife wants non-metallic BRG with a dark tan interior so that is what is ordered. Apparently I have a few months to change my mind so who knows. I'm further tempted to go with painted wire wheels like my TR250 has but for now chrome is what is on the order sheet. Again, I get back to the authenticity question. Does that really matter to me or not?

Mark IV-

After spending some time on your website it would appear you are likely to see my credit card number more than a few times in the months ahead! Thanks for the link.
Harpoon PV2 likes this.

Last edited by Idaho Chris; 11-07-2022 at 11:18 AM..