Club Cobra Gas - N Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > General Discussion > Club Cobra Introduction Forum (introduce yourself)

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-07-2022, 11:07 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Pacific Roadster, 347 cu.in. 5-speed
Not Ranked     
Default BRG Color

Chris, have you decided which BRG?? There is a TON of different shades. I had always thought my 1st Cobra would be BRG, and had an idea of that color, I was thinking something like 67 XKE BGR, well when we shot a sample, it was not what I was thinking, so back to drawing board, my painter said, he always wanted to do a round fender car say a COBRA. It's called (Dark Zagato) a 60's Ferrari/Zagato color, that's the color I had dreamed about for 40+years. Here's a picture of that color on my 427 Cobra, no one ever said, they didn't love this color, what do you think. Here's some pictures of that color here. Enjoy Chris
Cheers Tom. Took 53 years to get here.
Harpoon PV2 likes this.
Old 11-07-2022, 12:29 PM
Senile Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Time Machines Motorsports LLC- Superformance Dealer
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idaho Chris View Post
nkb-

Mark IV-

After spending some time on your website it would appear you are likely to see my credit card number more than a few times in the months ahead! Thanks for the link.
My 289 has a 306 (302 with overbore) and makes about 345 HP, more than quick and all that you will be able to put down with 205/70 tires. There is an SPF with a 545 HP engine, and I don't think it would outrun my car as the rubber limits the useable power. We also have some other pieces for the 289 that we haven't gotten on the website yet. The "princess blue with red leather" is great combination, we have sold some. My car is Indigo blue with red and really pops.

The picture is at SAAC at Pitt Race when Shelby borrowed the car for photo op with Aaron Shelby as they had no small block to use.
Attached Images

http://www.timemachinesauto.com/
Old 11-07-2022, 12:45 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX4005LA, Roush 427IR
Not Ranked     

My car was BRG. I was told it was real Jaguar paint. I had a rock hit a door and it crackled the panel [it was carbon fiber but the mat was laid in a traditional fiberglass resin]. Anyway, I called HST who made the car and they said not only do we have your color but we have your paint so I shipped it to them and it was a perfect match. But I never did find out what actual paint code it was.

I will note that it was a very deep color - lots of "depth". It was also very dark, so if you have an aversion to the maintenance of black paint with all of the microscratches that eventually appear, be aware that BRG will trigger the same OCD reaction. It was impossible to keep clean - have it out in the world for a few minutes, it gets dusty. Wipe it down and the first part is dusty before the last part is done, even with the small size of the Cobra...
Old 11-08-2022, 07:31 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Mark IV-

Sounds like your motor is right with what I have in mind. Can you tell me where you sourced it?

I do love blue cars. Most of the other cars in my shop are blue. Wife says BRG this time so that is where I am.

Tom & Tony-

Well my naivete is certainly showing through. Why did I think non-metallic BRG was just one color? Duh.

I simply picked the standard option BRG color that Superformance offered on the car. Obviously I need to look into that color a tad more! Still have plenty of time to change if needed.

I really wasn't thinking the color was quite as dark as Tom's link showed (quite stunning BTW). I have had a couple of black cars and swore I would never own another one as I could never keep them clean, thus I don't want the green to be too dark.

I'd post up a couple of photos of what I had in mind, but the Moderator(s) have still apparently not made me a member with full posting rights yet... At some point I will take these questions/comments off this introduction thread but until Moderator approval I'll guess stay here.
Alfa02 likes this.
Old 11-08-2022, 07:35 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Mark IV-

Sounds like your motor is right with what I have in mind. Can you tell me where you sourced it?

I do love blue cars. Most of the other cars in my shop are blue. Wife says BRG this time so that is where I am.

Tom & Tony-

Well my naivete is certainly showing through. Why did I think non-metallic BRG was just one color? Duh.

I simply picked the standard option BRG color that Superformance offered on the car. Obviously I need to look into that color a tad more! Still have plenty of time to change if needed.

I really wasn't thinking the color was quite as dark as Tom's link showed (quite stunning BTW). I have had a couple of black cars and swore I would never own another one as I could never keep them clean, thus I don't want the green to be too dark.

I'd post up a couple of photos of what I had in mind, but the Moderator(s) have still apparently not made me a member with full posting rights yet... At some point I will take these questions/comments off this introduction thread but until Moderator approval I'll guess stay here.
You should be able to search the forum for pics of my car (CSX4005LA). I'm not where I can do it now.
Old 11-08-2022, 08:17 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by twobjshelbys View Post
You should be able to search the forum for pics of my car (CSX4005LA). I'm not where I can do it now.
I searched your CSX number on Google and came up with a stunning car with twin yellow stripes. Is that your color BRG?

PS Woo hoo, looks like I can post with quotes now!
Old 11-08-2022, 08:40 AM
Senile Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Time Machines Motorsports LLC- Superformance Dealer
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Mark IV-

https://blueprintengines.com/collect...r-up-to-370-hp

Bought the engine and changed out the pan and pickup for a old school cast, finned pan that we TIG'ed a boss for the oil temp probe into. Tall COBRA valve covers to clear roller rockers and a Pertronix original look distributor with internal spark box and rev limiter. I used the McCord type later 289 coolant tank so the engine will pass as a '60's 289 to 95% of the people who look at it. Also, the correct "double-hump" Hi-Po air cleaner, a little more expensive than the cheap repop. A real turn off to me is later type distributors with male posts, red caps that are much larger diameter, etc.
Attached Images

http://www.timemachinesauto.com/
Old 11-08-2022, 11:27 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
I searched your CSX number on Google and came up with a stunning car with twin yellow stripes. Is that your color BRG?

PS Woo hoo, looks like I can post with quotes now!
Yes, it is supposedly the Jaguar paint color from the 60s.
Old 11-08-2022, 12:23 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: I'm Cobra-less!
Send a message via AIM to blykins
Not Ranked     

Tell ya what, if someone wants to build a 260, I'd love to do one all fixed up like they came from the 60's.

Here's Mr. B's 289:

And here's a 302 Tunnel Port for a little treat.

Old 11-11-2022, 08:22 AM
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Welcome to the Cobra world.

It is always great to see new people. September was the 60th anniversary of Shelby American and this month is my 59th anniversary of my entering the Cobra world. Bought my first Cobra in November 1963, a 289 street version. I have also owned an original 1966 427 Cobra that I purchased used and abused. I was also lucky enough to be sent to Florida (Kennedy Space Center) so I was able to be at the Daytona Continental and Sebring for Ken Miles/Lloyd Ruby victories in those races. I was also at the very first Cobra Club meeting in 1964 at Carroll Shelby and Lew Spencer's Hi-Performance Motors on S. La Brea Blvd in Los Angeles where the main attraction was Carroll Shelby. I only know what I read about replicas. My favorite Carroll Shelby quote is "these cars (Cobras) were meant to be driven.
Alfa02 and Harpoon PV2 like this.
Old 11-11-2022, 11:04 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Evans View Post
It is always great to see new people. September was the 60th anniversary of Shelby American and this month is my 59th anniversary of my entering the Cobra world. Bought my first Cobra in November 1963, a 289 street version. I have also owned an original 1966 427 Cobra that I purchased used and abused. I was also lucky enough to be sent to Florida (Kennedy Space Center) so I was able to be at the Daytona Continental and Sebring for Ken Miles/Lloyd Ruby victories in those races. I was also at the very first Cobra Club meeting in 1964 at Carroll Shelby and Lew Spencer's Hi-Performance Motors on S. La Brea Blvd in Los Angeles where the main attraction was Carroll Shelby. I only know what I read about replicas. My favorite Carroll Shelby quote is "these cars (Cobras) were meant to be driven.
Wow Terry, very cool. What a history! Have you remained active in the Cobra world over the decades?

I'll bet you regret not hanging onto one of those original Cobras!
Old 11-15-2022, 09:38 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Congratulations on the order! I am finally getting some shakedown mileage on my 289 build and absolutely love it. One of the most fun cars I have ever driven.

I went a little crazy with the originality aspect and had a new dash cut with the right-sized glove box door, sourced the correct SW gauges, real 1964 hipo motor with hipo heads, original buddy bar valve covers, etc.

No matter how you decide to finish yours, you won't be able to help but smile every time you drive it.

If you decide to follow the originality path, let me know and I can share a lot of helpful information. For example, SPF installs the competition-style gas cap on all of their cars. The correct street gas cap is smaller. So, most folks with SPF cars that install the correct ceandess cap have to put a rubber ring around the bottom to fill the gap. I worked with SPF on my build and had them only drill the pilot hole for the fuel filler neck and cap. Then, 5 minutes with a hole-saw I was able to drill the correct-sized opening without a need for a rubber ring. So now I have the correct gas cap that looks exactly as it did on the originals.

Steven Crumpley
firstname . lastname at gmail if you'd like to discuss more
Harpoon PV2 likes this.