Club Cobra Gas-N Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > General Discussion > Club Cobra Introduction Forum (introduce yourself)

Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree17Likes
  • 3 Post By N2Cobras
  • 6 Post By N2Cobras
  • 4 Post By N2Cobras
  • 1 Post By eschaider
  • 1 Post By Alfa02
  • 2 Post By N2Cobras

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2023, 03:36 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF MkIII S/C,Roush 427SR(351W),5 Spd
Not Ranked     
Default Try for first post again...

I've tried to post three times before this and they didn't post. Got a message today while perusing the boards that:
"Our records indicate that you have never posted to our site before! Why not make your first post today saying hello to our community in our Introduction Forum. ...."

Well, here's another attempt to become part of the chat and if this doesn't work I'll guess I'll
Ron61, 1985 CCX and Kthulu like this.
Old 01-19-2023, 04:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX4005LA, Roush 427IR
Not Ranked     

Welcome! Looks like its working
Old 01-19-2023, 05:23 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default And here's the first post from 12/21 that got lost somewhere on the Internet...

Now that the system allows me to post:

Finally checked off another one of my bucket list items: I acquired a Superformance Cobra 427 S/C (SP02870/ 2008 build?). Its been over 56 years since I fell in love with the Shelby mystic when I built a 1/24 scale model of a FIA and read my older brother’s hot rodding magazines about the Shelby legend and accomplishments. The car was delivered the day before the first snow in my part of WI so now it’s waiting for spring and spring (and gravel off the roads) can’t get here soon enough. My 2012 GT500 vert now has a more than suitable stablemate with the same theoretical HP but it has a 150% higher HP/ Weight ratio advantage, I’m just living the dream and glad I didn’t get it as a teenager as I would probably already be dead.

It’s not typical traditional Cobra colors as it’s either (Viper Steel Gray or Portifino Blue?) with Indigo Blue stripes. Luckily it has 13k miles on it with the associated rock chips, etc. so I won’t feel guilty living up to Carroll’s comment that "These cars are meant to be driven, so enjoy the hell out of all of it - not just look at it when it is clean." - I’ve done it thus far with my GT500, 2K miles a year that has lots of rock chips and more. They said this Cobra has never has been out in the rain, we’ll have to see if that holds true with it’s third owner, I’m guessing 3/8” floorboard drain holes are in our future.

I’ll be posting about wrinkles as they come up, the first one I think is finding someone who can use that special SCOF decoder ring to describe the report that came with the car from the second dealer who sold it (this hopefully will nail the actual main body color). I’ve been reading CC archive on down time and am up to page 21 of the SP subdirectory, what a great resource CC is for all things Cobra.

Mike
Tommy, 1985 CCX, eschaider and 3 others like this.
Old 01-19-2023, 08:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF#0760
Not Ranked     

They finally got you posting. That took forever to be looked into. Glad to have you here and up and running. Happy to help with that unknown document if you like.
Blas

Large, easy to read and trace schematics with part numbers, wire colors, wire gauge, fuses, and electrical upgrade information. Trouble-shooting and replacement part numbers for those roadside repair adventures.
SPFWiringDiagrams@Comcast.net
Old 01-19-2023, 08:46 PM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Pacific Roadster, 347 cu.in. 5-speed
Not Ranked     

Welcome Mike, here's wishing you MANY Years & Smiles Per Mile, of Cobra ownership. Just as many here will tell you, dance slowly with her at first, as she has none of the safety features your GT-500 has to keep you out of trouble Cheers Tom.
Old 01-19-2023, 11:20 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique Motorcars 289 USRRC, 1964 289 stroked to 331, toploader
Not Ranked     
Thumbs up

Welcome to the madness, Mike! Post some pics!

Paul

Unique Motorcars 289 USRRC
1964 289 5-bolt block
Toploader and 3.31 rear
Old 01-20-2023, 03:49 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF MKII Riverside Racer FIA
Not Ranked     

Mike,

Glad to see that you have been able to post and pan to drive the hell out of the car! You'll get more smiles on the road than in the garage.

Jim
Old 01-20-2023, 05:39 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Enjoy the Cobra but get used to it before you really start pushing it hard as they are like no other car you have ever driven. As for the posting problem the site has a few bugs that cause some strange things from time to time so you should be OK now. And congratulations on finally getting your car and it is good to hear that you will drive it instead of parking it to admire.

Ron

View my Miscellaneous Gallery
Old 01-20-2023, 06:22 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Neutral     
Default Pics as requested

Attached are a few views of SP02870 including one with it's snake pit BFF, hopefully they post correctly.

To Ron and Tom that suggest to take it easy until I am use to the short wheelbase rocket, I'm into baby steps before running, the GT500 taught me to respect power or you will have a memorable Oh SHEET! moment that may not end well for you and the Snake, hence the comment in Post# 3 that I would probably be dead if I got this during my teenage wrench turning days. I have got to stay alive for the grandkids to build zip lines in the backyard, etc. I never drive the GT500 with TCS on, it takes away from the excitement of the drive.

Blas, I will PM you by tonight for help to decode documentation that came with the Cobra.

Mike
Attached Images

Buzz, Ron61, EM-0785 and 1 others like this.
Old 01-20-2023, 10:41 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2291, Whipple Blown & Injected 4V ModMotor
Not Ranked     

I am not certain what color you have. I have a Viper Steel Gray with silver stripes. It does not have the blue hue to it that yours does. I actually like your color better than the Viper Steel Gray I have. Very nice lookin ride.
Alfa02 likes this.

Help them do what they would have done if they had known what they could do.
Old 01-20-2023, 03:58 PM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Pacific Roadster, 347 cu.in. 5-speed
Not Ranked     

It's a beauty Mike, As Ed said, I dig that blue hue too. Mines (60's Ferrari) Silver with gray ghost stripes, no blue hue either. You sound like you have the right frame of mind, to deal with the "Snake", and live to fight another day "Our Motto" (see picture), Cheers Buddy, Tom.
Attached Images

N2Cobras likes this.
Old 01-20-2023, 05:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Questionable color code/ My Motto

Tom & Ed:
The dealer I got the car from had it listed as Portifino Blue, not sure where he got that color description. A SCORE report that came with the car listed it as the Viper Steel Grey. I believe the report's main body color code is S732(?) with Indigo Blue stripes, code 402(?). I've been trying to find a definition of these color codes online but have had no luck.

But I agree with you, the main body color is a beautiful shade whatever it's called and it will never be confused with the popular Guardsman or Royal Blue.

Tom:
My motto is something I read posted somewhere on CC that goes something like: Cobras give you the test first and then teaches you the lesson.

Blas, I forgot to give you a big shout out in Post#3 for getting the moderators to fix my initial posting issue.

Mike
Ron61 and Alfa02 like this.
Old 01-21-2023, 05:47 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Mike,

That is a beautiful car and you are going to get a lot of admiring looks and questions as you are most likely used to from the GT-500.

Ron

View my Miscellaneous Gallery
Old 01-21-2023, 09:06 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2291, Whipple Blown & Injected 4V ModMotor
Not Ranked     

If you really want to know, Mike, it might be worth contacting Superformance or in this country Hillbank. I would bet they can take those paint codes and translate them into English for you. All the guys are spot on, your color is stunning!

Help them do what they would have done if they had known what they could do.
Old 01-21-2023, 03:27 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Blas is the Man!

I PMed Blas and he got copies of the original Superformance paperwork that confirmed it is Viper Steel Grey and I got additional info on the trans, engine, etc. It ends up SP02870 was configured to be the same a SP02225.

I did additional research and and 2000 Viper Steel Grey came in both a Metallic (which is silvery) and a Pearl that has bluish hue in certain (bright?) lighting according to a Viper owner. If you look at the color samples for touchup paint, it is grey with no bluish tint. The Vipers I initially checked were under low lighting, hence, looked grey.

Mike
Old 01-21-2023, 09:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique Motorcars 289 USRRC, 1964 289 stroked to 331, toploader
Not Ranked     
Thumbs up Nice!

Great looking car, Mike! Thanks for sharing.

Paul

Unique Motorcars 289 USRRC
1964 289 5-bolt block
Toploader and 3.31 rear