Club Cobra Keith Craft Motorsports  

Go Back   Club Cobra > General Discussion > Club Cobra Introduction Forum (introduce yourself)

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-03-2007, 06:32 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 4758, CSX 381 Keith Craft 482 w/ Weber 48 IDA's
Not Ranked     
Default CSX 4758 Has A New Home

Well I went and did it!! I flew out to Wylie, TX and bought CSX 4758 right out from under the feet of Gary Morris and his lovely wife Susan.

After visiting SAI several times starting in 2001, I knew the continuation 4000 series was what I wanted. In fact, have wanted this car since it first came out when I was in high school in the early 60's. This is as close as I'll get to the real deal with my status in life.... but Gary Patterson at SAI has been very patient with us over the years, taking my wife and I on several tours of the factory while I was trying to figure out a way to finance the beast. I finally decided that I could do better with a car like CSX 4758 than wait for a chassis and then another year or so hunting parts. I've only had it a week and already I'm hunting for parts here and there and getting UPS deliveries on the front porch.

One thing lead to another, and with a little creative shifting of priorities and, yes, putting my 2001 Corvette convertible on the market, found a way to purchase this beautiful car. If any of you have been reading any of the comments from Kristen, "hey, little cobra", she also bought a car from Gary, you will know the detail and meticulousness Gary pays to these cars. I am amazed at the quality equipment he has installed to make this car just about as close to what I have wanted since the 60's. Now I get to re-learn what it's like to get out my old automotive tools and dwell tach, and get back into wrenching on this machine. Thanks Gary.

I would also like to thank John Ross for sharing pictures of this car being built in Las Vegas, and I agree with him, the chassis fit and finish is amazing. Over a period of time, I'll be getting into it and asking some of the "get acquainted" questions on this forum so bear with me.

As you've noticed, I live in California and just finished going to the DMV today. It wasn't as bad as I was expecting. No wait really, and since it was previously registered in TX, they did a full inspection of the car and gave me the same VIN number as the chassis so I won't have to go to CHP for a VIN assignment!! This is, of course, after I wrote a check you would not believe to DMV for use tax and registration. Do the math on a new CSX 4000 roller and runner kit, a $30k Shelby 427 plus David Kee toploader and goodies at 7.75% So it will be registered in CA as CSX 4758!! Oh, and that's after I sit in line with coffee and donuts on Jan 2, 2008 with all the other SB 100 wannabes. Jdog, I already had that drink. But the very nice DMV office manager did give me a 60-day TOP so I'm in business for the time being.

An interesting little aside, my wife of 32 years and I grew up in Whittier, CA and we went to high school with Dean Moon's daughter, Vicki, who has since passed on. My wife's parents' house and Dean Moon's house overlooked Candlewood Country Club golf course, and if any of you know Cobra history, the first CSX was assembled in Dean Moon's shop in Santa Fe Springs, about a mile or so away from their houses. When Carroll wanted to showcase the car in a nice setting for his first brochure, Dean showed him the golf course and they simply drove it out onto the course behind Dean's and my wife's parents house to take pictures. We didn't know what kind of history was going on right in our own backyards!! Dean's house was yellow, just like his shop. I was driving my first car then, which was a '30 Model A Ford (painted Moon Yellow) with a V8 flathead, and I saw that little roadster with the big growl once on Whittier Blvd and I wasn't even going to go there once I heard it!! I asked the driver (the guy looked "old" to me) what it was, and he said "a Cobra". It looked to me like an MG on steroids! From there on I had to have one and it only took 40+ years to do. True story.

I look forward to meeting some of you So Cal types here in the not too distant future, doing some runs and shows and the other stuff we all seem to get into. Thanks to all for the great comments and informative banter I've been reading over the last couple of months....especially that active group from Texas. I've learned a lot.

Tom "rokndad" Remillard
Old 08-03-2007, 07:52 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX4795 (Sold)
Not Ranked     
Thumbs up Cheers!

Welcome, brother Tom!

It's good to have another CSX car here in Cali!

Sometimes a good stiff drink can help put things into perspective!

Glad you got a temp, so you can have it on the road.

Be careful at first, these cars will get away from you in a hurry. Not quite as 'forgiving' as the Vette.

I'll hoist a cold one in your honor tonight!

jdog
P.S. Don't be late come Jan 2nd! It's a hell of a relief when they give you your SB100 number!

Last edited by jdog; 08-03-2007 at 10:58 PM..
Old 08-03-2007, 08:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Once Owned CSX4803, CSX803 block, Keith Craft 468, Suspension by Tom Barnard, Built by Kris Kincaid
Not Ranked     
Default Re:

That is a fine looking Cobra! Welcome aboard!!
Old 08-03-2007, 08:57 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby American CSX 4241 - authentically built
Not Ranked     

Congrats on buying a great car! Welcome to the CSX club .

See my car at CSXinfo.net here >> CSX 4241
Old 08-03-2007, 10:25 PM
Miss Texas Cobra Club-08
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #291 *has left the garage*
Not Ranked     

Congratulations, Tom. Yes, as you and I both know, Gary leaves no detail behind with his meticulous care of his cars.
I wish you well with your journey to getting the SB100 number.

Gary..... congrats. Going thru withdrawl again?? Sleeping on the garage floor, in a fetal position?? It's gonna be ok, my friend.
Kristen
Old 08-04-2007, 04:28 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Tom,
Congratulations on your acquisition of CSX 4758. Also, what a wonderful story about Dean Moon!!
Sam
Old 08-04-2007, 06:29 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AK1085 (302), HTM111 (427 Comp), CSX2375R (289 Comp) and Scratch 427 S/C
Not Ranked     

Congrats Tom,

The car will certainly be more enjoyable than your Vette. Well at least in dry weather...

All kidding aside it looks to be a great car with a great amount of detail. Enjoy the car! I too enjoyed your story and look forward to more. Use your gallery often since I find that is a great way to tell stories about travels.

Enjoy!
Jeff
Old 08-04-2007, 01:20 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Lone Star Classics #89 Keith Craft Genesis 427 so, stroked to 482, 649 hp. Sabre GT 40 #16 351W stroked to 408, 527hp, TWM stack injection, Fast XFI, G50/50.
Not Ranked     

Congradulations Tom,

I know you will enjoy that car. At the last several events around here I could not even get Gary to drive the car as he was protecting the car for you.

Now dont forget our deal, you and that car must attend the annual TCC event in March sometime very soon.

Have fun in that car and btw that smile on you face should last until sometime around Christmas.

John
Old 08-04-2007, 02:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX 4700 series.
Not Ranked     
Default CSX4758 Has a new home

What a great history / story . It seems that all of us have a special reason that these csx cars touch us so very deeply. My hats off to you and your exceptional wife for following your dream. Please remember that the DMV allows you to make your appointment 30 days in advance . So on Dec. 2 -3 rd 2007 make that appointment at 8 A.M. Check at your office to see who is assigned to the SOB 100 program. Read the CA.DMV.GOV. SPVC website and understand all the rules for getting your cert. Don't let some paper pusher tell you that they must wait for a memo from Sacremento . I got my SB 100 cert and it is great ! You may be able to use yours and your wifes cell phone to continously call the special phone number to get thru . Ask the DMV offical in charge ahead of time what the special phone numbers are ( say Dec.24 th about 4 P.M.) when everyone is into the season. Try to find out the special phone numbers in advance so that you can program them into your cells. Best of luck, and get Carroll to sign your dash. He is a great guy.Have a check to the Childrens Heart Fund ( say about $ 500 ) . This will make him smile bigger and It looks like you are paying him for the car. The next picture should be Carroll Shelby handing the keys to you and your wife. He loves this stuff and it will bring joy to you when you feel like tradeing CSX4758 in on a new BMW. Trust me its gonna happen . Yours in the hobby Randy and Trudy CSX4769 (805) 816 2288.
Old 08-05-2007, 03:51 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks to all for the warm welcome. Just finished hooking up the Fuel Pressure gage and the isolator and it works---no leaks at 6 psi (one of the new parts I got on the porch).

CSX 4769, thanks for the tips. The one about Dec 24th is a good one and I'm definitely going to do that. I plan on getting there really early....like on the 1st.

I'm done with my break, and going back out to start looking where to put the Safecraft 5lb bottle and tubing. I think I'll put both nozzles in the engine compartment somewhere and leave the cockpit for the handheld halotron. I've looked around for pix of installations but haven't seen any yet. I'll keep looking. Thanks again all.
Old 08-05-2007, 04:13 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX Cars
Not Ranked     

Rok,

Go with the 10 lb, put a nozzle at your feet, in the engine and one in the trunk. Kris could give you photos.

Allan
Old 08-05-2007, 04:34 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: None, sold it
Not Ranked     

Is it just me or are the pictures in the gallery of 2 different cars? Mirror, sun visers, tires. Or have you changed a lot since you got it home? Just an observation.

Terry
Old 08-05-2007, 07:03 PM
Miss Texas Cobra Club-08
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #291 *has left the garage*
Not Ranked     

one of the pics in the gallery is from when Gary got it delivered- the protective film was still on the visors, etc. He also hand lettered the tires, etc.
Same car! I was there.
K

(when you repaint them, you only paint the 'goodyear' not the Eagle part. Guess Gary changed the mirrors, after delivery.)
the Fluorescent lights really change the shade of blue, from inside the garage to outside.)

Last edited by hey,littlecobra; 08-05-2007 at 07:05 PM..
Old 08-05-2007, 10:57 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Kristen has it. The shot with the paper on the plexi is from James Baldwin who visited SAI just before it was ready for delivery.

Thanks for the suggestion on the nozzles. I'm still thinking about routing etc. I only want to do it once.