Club Cobra GasN Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > General Discussion > Club Cobra Introduction Forum (introduce yourself)

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-16-2007, 10:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Cobra Auto Works body, Ron Godell Racecars chassis, 1989 Mustang GT 5.0 HO (converted to carb), W/C T-5, 3.73's in a Ford 9" Traction-Loc.
Not Ranked     
Default Forum Noob from TX sayin' Howdy!

Good day, all. I've been registered for quite a while, just now got around to posting my first post.

I've been following the component car industry since I was in my late teens/early 20's, and I'm now nearing retirement and 59 years of age. Needless to say, I've seen lots of manufacturers come and go, and likewise seen a lot of them hang on for a long time.

The long term plans are for a GT40 build, but those cars seem to be pretty complex builds, so I am giving serious consideration to building a Cobra replica first, just to make sure I have adequate skills to bring a kit to completion. I've been building motors and working on cars since 1965 (drove a K-code 1964 Ford Fairlane for a while--what a hoot!--and my most recent build was stuffing a 351-C into a 1971 Mercury Comet), so I think I can do it, but I have little experience in fabrication and that is the part that bothers me.

I've done my homework and definitely know that I'll be building a Hurricane, but not the 427 model. I like the lean 'n' mean look of the 289 models, and rumor has had it for some time that Hurricane will be releasing a 289 model in the future, so for now it's just a waiting game.

I like to do things a bit different, so here are the mechanical plans: I plan on putting an 8.2" SBF Clevor in mine. I'm going to build what I call a small port Boss 302, but it will probably end up being closer to 347/348 CID, as I'll use a 4.125" bore block and a 1/4" stroker crank. The heads right now look to be AFD closed chamber alloy Cleveland 2-V heads--I need to drive this on the street and so I am not interested in the huge port 4-V heads. Intake will hopefully be a Mas-Flo EFI system. Yeah, I know, it will need to be a custom manifold, I've already contacted Mas-Flo and they say if I send them my intake they can mod it for their system. I plan on using the Cleveland type heads b/c I'm a long time fan of the canted valve system--they provide better breathing, IMHO, and also have great off-idle torque.

So, it won't be an attempt to replicate an original anything, but it's going to be my daily ride and so I don't really care about originality. Plans include a scooped hood and under-car exhaust and wire wheels and double 427 style roll bars, but if the footwells will be visible without the sidepipes, I'll give up the under-car exhaust and use sidepipes to hide the footwells. It will be finished out street-car style with IRS.

So, guys, that's my sad story.

Be seein' ya around!

Dugly

No names were changed to protect the innocent!
Old 11-17-2007, 02:54 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 66 COBRA FE 427 /4SP. (HCS Coupe w/ 408 Stroker and TKO 600 -sold)
Send a message via AIM to Clois Harlan
Not Ranked     

Sounds like a good plan. I think Hurricane makes a good kit and the guys there will work with you. Don't worry about the fabrication to much because most of what you will be doing will be assembly. I helped Dean Lampe build his Hurricane (even though he stuffed a 427 in his).

I like your engine plans and it sounds as though you have done a good deal of planning. Of course if you have been around this site very long you know that when you incur a problem of any kind you will have multiple members willing to help. There are some very helpful people in Houston that are more than willing to help in a crises. Great guys and gals that put together some excellent events.

At any rate I want to be one of the first to welcome you to our little world of passion for these little cars and all the fun and attention that goes with them.

Clois Harlan

"Let's roll"

"Be part of Something Good
......Leave Something Good Behind!"
from CD "Long Road Out of Eden"