Club Cobra GasN Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > General Discussion > Club Cobra Introduction Forum (introduce yourself)

Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-27-2008, 10:51 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Exclamation I am finally able to afford a Cobra Replica - Please help me decide on one

Hello Everyone,

My name is Scrivy and I have wanted to build a Cobra Replica for a long time, but never seriously looked into which kit I should buy because until now it was not a possibility.

Now that I can afford one, I have started the research stage. There are many more manufacturers now. I was hoping that some of you could give me some recommendations.

Here is a few of the items that I am looking for:

I want a kit that has pieces that all fit together well without a need to fabricate parts.
Good backroad handling and bump handling with good wheel travel.
Fits a person at least 6' 3" tall.
That is a close replica of the original.

Thanks for your help.
Old 11-27-2008, 11:01 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Can anyone point me to a good thread where someone else has discussed this process?
Old 11-27-2008, 11:06 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance #1374 with 392 RDI Stroker
Not Ranked     

Scrivy, 6'3 is not a problem for a lot of replicas. If you are indeed in a position to build/afford one, why not look at a factory built car. There are a lot of excellent cobras for sale at knock down prices. No need to wrench, just turn the key and enjoy.
If you really want to build and stay original, remember 90" wheelbase was the magic number. There are some kits out there that offer longer wheelbases and some 90" models with dropped footwells that will accomidate you. I am the same height and fit in a Superformance with plenty of room.

Just my 2 cents

Mark
Old 11-27-2008, 11:22 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Mark,
Thanks for the reply. I have thought about a turn-key but have wanted to have a Cobra that I have put my own hands to but don't want to get too over my head. Many of the kit manufacturers say that a novice can build these kits. Is that true? I like the mechanical part but am unsure how I will do on the appearance "shiny side". I might do OK on the body/interior but the jury is still out on that one.
Scrivy
Old 11-27-2008, 11:24 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

This may be a dumb question, but does anyone know where there is a somewhat exhaustive comparison of the different Cobra replica kits or do I need to just go look at each one and make my own list?
Old 11-27-2008, 11:35 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrivy View Post
This may be a dumb question, but does anyone know where there is a somewhat exhaustive comparison of the different Cobra replica kits or do I need to just go look at each one and make my own list?
There really isn't one. What you need to do is first establish your budget and then determine what items are important to you. Some items you might not be able to afford, and some items might not be something you really want. Items like an aluminum body and round tube frame will limit your list of cars. Of course, a new car will cost more than an identical used one. If you threw out a "ballpark number" that you were comfortable with we could tell you what sort of new car you could get. Be warned, if you're building a car to spec (your specs) it costs more than you think.
Old 11-27-2008, 11:48 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
There really isn't one. What you need to do is first establish your budget and then determine what items are important to you. Some items you might not be able to afford, and some items might not be something you really want. Items like an aluminum body and round tube frame will limit your list of cars. Of course, a new car will cost more than an identical used one. If you threw out a "ballpark number" that you were comfortable with we could tell you what sort of new car you could get. Be warned, if you're building a car to spec (your specs) it costs more than you think.
Patrick,

I was thinking $40K to a top of around $70K. I am looking for a nimble street cobra that runs good on back roads and highways.

Should I tend to buy everything (all the optional items) from the kit car vendor at the same time or get items as I am ready for them from different vendors?

Scrivy
Old 11-27-2008, 11:53 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 289FIA 2131, 331 stroker by Dan Dalena with 48 IDAs by Jim Inglese, AC Cars AC8 "Rosso Chiaro" (PPG Nexa code FG39) by Connecticut Custom
Not Ranked     

Scrivy-

You might find this site and the book sold there worthwhile:

http://cobradream.com/

Jeff
Old 11-27-2008, 11:54 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Scrivy there are a multitude of choices in that price range. You have the option of building the car yourself, buying a rolling chassis and adding drive train, or buying a used car. As mentioned, what are the important things? Originality in looks? Originality in drivetrain? Fun, easy to drive and not too wild? There are a ton of cars on www.cobracountry.com for sale with some really good prices and it will give you a chance to browse several different models, colors, drivetrain combo's etc.
Old 11-27-2008, 12:06 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA 'Street' Build
Not Ranked     

Scrivy,

Great advice above ... some more thoughts:

I am in a similar situation ... after 40 years of thinking of Cobras, I too am close to taking the plunge for a replica. I have been researching this very question in earnest for the past year or so and have some suggestions.

1. You are already here at Club Cobra, which has an incredible wealth on information for all things Cobra.

2. Go to some of your local CC events. You don't necessarily need a Cobra and you will meet some great folks that will be glad to talk with you about their cars and Cobras in general. I have met some great guys and they have really helped me figure things out.

3. Go to the "Cobra Country" Website and look at cars there that are for sale, may give you some ideas. Also, click on the 'Cobra's Buyer's Guide' tab and it will take you to a page featuring the soft bound 'Cobra Buyers Guide', which for me was a great place to start.

http://www.cobracountry.com/home2.html

Do a little homework and it will pay off in the end. One last piece of advice that has been given to me over and over by the CC bunch, when it come down to the final decision, of what to build or what to buy, get the car YOU want, and not someone else's idea of what a Cobra should be.

Regards,

- Tim
Old 11-27-2008, 12:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

What are the preferred types of suspensions and drivetrains out there?
Old 11-27-2008, 12:15 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
What are the preferred types of suspensions and drivetrains out there?
You have a good price range. It probably won't let you buy a custom made new car from the top three, but that's ok. What I would recommend is that for the next few weeks you read as many threads on this site as you can, and seriously consider a used car. While you're reading, be thinking of your list, and learn why you might want it (or not want it). For example, why would you want an FE? Does it have to be a SO? Do I need pin-drives? Do I need an independent rear? How 'bout those outboard brakes? You have a lot of reading to do... but you've found the right place.
Old 11-27-2008, 12:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #629, BBM Side Oiler Block, 482ci, Richmond 5 speed
Not Ranked     

Scrivvy,

Based on your criteria and price range, you can't go wrong with an ERA. Check out their website at www.erareplicas.com. Outstanding product, great support, easy assembly (it really does bolt together as it should - there's no need to fabricate anything). I've had mine on the road since 2003. The biggest complaint you'll here about ERA is the wait time but that gives you time to build your motor while you're waiting for the kit to show up.

Chris
Old 11-27-2008, 12:43 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Kirkham first choice.
ERA second.
Larry
Old 11-27-2008, 12:47 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMH View Post
Kirkham first choice.
ERA second.
Deciding wither aluminum is important to you is the first decision. To some of us, it wasn't...
Old 11-27-2008, 01:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA, FE BBF
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Hello Everyone,

My name is Scrivy and I have wanted to build a Cobra Replica for a long time, but never seriously looked into which kit I should buy because until now it was not a possibility.

Now that I can afford one, I have started the research stage. There are many more manufacturers now. I was hoping that some of you could give me some recommendations.

Here is a few of the items that I am looking for:

I want a kit that has pieces that all fit together well without a need to fabricate parts.
Good backroad handling and bump handling with good wheel travel.
Fits a person at least 6' 3" tall.
That is a close replica of the original.

Thanks for your help.
Your price range gives you lots of options. Some basic decisions to think about might be:

1) Do you want a big block car or would you be happy with a small block?
2) How authentic do you want the car to be to the original cobras?
3) How much experience do you have with building restoring cars? What areas would be "old hand" for you and what would be new ground?

I have an ERA and am very happy with it. I choose ERA because I felt it was a good car for an big block motor and it is a very authentic reproduction of the orignal 427 Cobra.

- fred
Old 11-27-2008, 01:24 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Scrivy, not all kits are 'easy piece together'. I have been involved in helping other people build kits. Buy the best one you can afford. You will get many replies on this subject so I am not going to name manufactures who are good to fair to crap. Any kit you build will only depend on how much time and money you invest. I have seen crap kits and some that the builder took time and thought that would be the envy on any cobra owner. The more you put in, the better the results.
What type of motor/trans are you looking to install? How original do you want to end up with? Do a search on this site and you will find praise and bashing about every manufacturer that's out there.

Mark
Old 11-27-2008, 01:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Oops, forgot, if your going to spend $70,000.00, you can get a brand spanking new Superformance with a Roush motor. No used parts and warranty on the car and motor. Heck , you will have change left over. Like Chris said, can't go wrong with ERA. Both of these models have pretty good re-sale also

Mark
Old 11-27-2008, 02:41 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RCR GT 40 & 1966 Fairlane 390 5 speed
Not Ranked     
Smile for sale

Check this one out, it's belongs to a friend of mine and it's listed on Cobra Country. Buy now, drive now!

Dwight

For Sale: 1966 Hurricane 427S/C Cobra. Ford Vermilion Red w/white stripes and black pinstripes. The BIG Picture: Click Here! Under the hood: 428 Keith Craft stroker (461 cid). All engine info and dyno sheet (600 hp/ 619 ft trq) included for you. Engine outfitted with all the good stuff: MSD distributor, 6AL box, Holley 750 carb. Canton front sump T-style oil pan. Edelbrock Hypo water pump. high-volume aluminum radiator with high rpm fan (2,800 cfm), March pulley setup. BIG Photo of powerplant: Click Here! Geartrain: Lakewood scattershield, Tremec 500 gearbox, rugged 9" Ford rear end (3.25:1 gear ratio), Moser axles. Suspension/brakes/rolling stock: 4-wheel 11" disc brakes, four QA1 adjustable, chromed, coil-over shocks. Wilwood pedal assembly and master cylinders, adjustable front upper control arms; rear end has three link adjustable control arms and panhard bar. Vintage Wheels fitted with Mickey Thompson tires. In the cockpit: period-correct hardwood-rimmed Cobra steering wheel, Classic Instruments gauges, fire extinguisher, black vinyl dash, seats and door panels with black carpet, black floormats trimmed with rich red piping; stainless steel footbox and upright support covers, 2-speed heater, wind wings and visor, doors and trunk weather-stripped, battery cutoff switch, trunk carpet. BIG Photo of cockpit: Click Here! You also get: black hard top with insulation and windows (sliders on each side), and a complete photo album of build and maintenance record. Very well taken care of, and this serpent has all the “bugs” worked out. 8,800 miles on car and 8,000 on engine. This nimble little Cobra handles very well; it's extremely quick yet very streetable and driver-friendly. BIG hardtop shot: Click Here! $44,500 obo (reduced from the $52,900 I originally advertised it for).. Contact Mike at (256) 483-9472 CST, or email: MikeDLane@comcast.net
Florence, Alabama
8 October

Last edited by Dwight; 11-27-2008 at 02:46 PM.. Reason: add pics
Old 11-27-2008, 04:21 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427 SC s/n 718, 428 FE
Not Ranked     

If you're looking to build your own car, at your budget you can build a first rate ERA with a nice iron FE big block. None look better for that money. An aluminum Kirkham or Shelby may be out of range for that money, unless you found an eager seller. Good luck and learn as much as you can. Knowledge = $$ saved.