Club Cobra Keith Craft Racing  

Go Back   Club Cobra > General Discussion > Club Cobra Introduction Forum (introduce yourself)

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Old 03-12-2009, 08:48 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Newbie/lurker

Hello to all,
I have been on here for a coupole of months looking, reading and studying.

I would like a Cobra and there does seem to be some good deals.
I would like to test drive a couple before deciding what brand to go with. Do dealers let folks test drive?

I currently have a 2007 Shelby GT500 Super Snake /725HP. It is a blast to drive, but...................... Those cobras keep calling me.

I am in the Chicago area and would like to see and drive the different ones available.
Any help here would be appreciated.
Thanks
Old 03-12-2009, 09:06 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelby101 View Post
Hello to all,

I would like to test drive a couple before deciding what brand to go with. Do dealers let folks test drive?
The last Cobra I let someone test drive they spun out and cracked the nose, got out, then told me they were no longer interested in the car. Took me 6 months before I got him to pay for the damage. That was 6+ years (and dozens of cars) ago. I do not let anyone "test drive" my cars for sale any longer. I do allow for third party inspections and I do offer to take them for a test spin, but that is it, unless of course they want to bring along my full asking price in cash as a deposit should they damage my car(s), in which case they take the risk instead of me.

Bill S.

First time Cobra buyers-READ THIS
Old 03-12-2009, 09:27 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Bill ,
Thanks for your reply, but I was thinking more along the lines of the dealers who sell ERA, FFR, Superformance,and backdraft.
Bill W.
Old 03-12-2009, 09:35 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2613 Titanium w/Black, Roush 402SR
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Bill ,
Thanks for your reply, but I was thinking more along the lines of the dealers who sell ERA, FFR, Superformance,and backdraft.
Bill W.
Welcome Bill W.!

Link up with the Cobra Club in your area and check out as many cars a possible. Once you've narrowed your search down and your ready to jump in, contact a dealer to see if you can arrange a test drive. You won't find any ERA dealers, so you're best shot would probably be a SuperFormance dealer or Backdraft. It's not easy to get a test drive, but if you're persistent you can pull it off.

When I narrowed my search, I drove a FF that was being sold by a private party and pre-owned Superformance that SPF dealer had on consignment. It's not impossible to find a car to test, but it ain't easy.

I guess Bill S. FF is out for a test drive.

No stop signs, speed limit - Nobody's gonna slow me down - Like a wheel, gonna spin it
Old 03-12-2009, 09:37 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Bill ,
Bill W.

Haven't sold a BDR yet

Bill S.

First time Cobra buyers-READ THIS
Old 03-12-2009, 09:40 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

I can see where Bill is coming from. Most people aren't used to driving a car with 500-600 HP and weighing 2100-2500 lbs. I still remember that video posted some time ago with a woman driving a Cobra right into a telephone pole or something and just about took a crowd of people.
Old 03-12-2009, 09:43 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Beleive me I do understand.

My GT500 Super Snake has 843hp, so I know what control is about.
I also know about not letting other folks drive it.

Thanks for all the comments.
Bill W.
Old 03-12-2009, 11:13 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodKnock View Post
I can see where Bill is coming from. Most people aren't used to driving a car with 500-600 HP and weighing 2100-2500 lbs. I still remember that video posted some time ago with a woman driving a Cobra right into a telephone pole or something and just about took a crowd of people.
Totally agree. But....there's no way I would buy a Cobra without driving one (hopefully the same manufacturer that you're interested in) first.

No stop signs, speed limit - Nobody's gonna slow me down - Like a wheel, gonna spin it
Old 03-12-2009, 11:30 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Beleive me I do understand.

My GT500 Super Snake has 843hp, so I know what control is about.
I also know about not letting other folks drive it.

Thanks for all the comments.
Bill W.
Bill, whether you have 725 or 843 HP, the fact of the matter is that a brand new car that weighs 4,000 lbs +/- will not accelerate, steer and handle like a Cobra, which is 1/2 the weight, no electronic gizmos and a short wheelbase.

Notwithstanding, there may be private parties or dealers out there that may allow you to drive the car, I just wouldn't be one of them. I only have 700 or so miles on my car and I'm still trying to get used to it and I've previously owned other fast cars.

Best of luck with your Cobra purchase.
Old 03-12-2009, 11:33 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Though I might make an exception for Doug (Got The Bug) or someone I've known for a while. Oh, and my rule doesn't apply if I were the buyer, like say of a SPF GT40
Old 03-12-2009, 01:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Guys, I am not argueing here.
I also saw the video, and all I can say is stupid, over confident and out to impress equals the results shown.

I do understand how people value there cars.

However, do not under estimate the power of a Super Snake which is turning 3.4 0-60s and 10.9 quarters.
While I truely accept that the cobra will handle different than the Super Snake, raw horse power is raw horse power and MUST BE RESPECTED!

In the end, I still want to drive before I buy.
Old 03-12-2009, 01:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Scratch built CSX style frame, Carbon fiber body, 393 Stroker, T-bird IRS, T5
Not Ranked     

It's not the horsepower that will get you with one of these, it's the 90" wheelbase, 2100 lb weight, and weight distribution that is different than just about any other car you'll drive.
Not saying it can't happen, but I would be surprised if anyone (or their insurance) would allow you to "test drive" a Cobra without a substantial deposit or bond.

Good luck with your search...

Bob
Old 03-12-2009, 01:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Point taken.

Well, I'll see what happens.

But in the meantime I'll be looking and drooling
Old 03-12-2009, 01:42 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Peaks View Post
It's not the horsepower that will get you with one of these, it's the 90" wheelbase, 2100 lb weight, and weight distribution that is different than just about any other car you'll drive.
Not saying it can't happen, but I would be surprised if anyone (or their insurance) would allow you to "test drive" a Cobra without a substantial deposit or bond.

Good luck with your search...

Bob
I drove three cars when I was looking and I didn't know the owners. I flew down to Hillbank and Lance let me take a consigned car out for a test drive with him as a passenger.

Bill - If you look around, you'll find some cars to drive. Good luck in your search.

Old 03-12-2009, 01:43 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I have no idea what your budget may be, but you might want to fly to Provo, Utah and check out a Kirkham. The Kirkhams may let potential customers take out their demo/mule, but I can't be for certain.

You might also try D&M Motorsports in Glen Ellen, IL. They've always seemed to have a bunch of Superformance products in their showroom.
Old 03-12-2009, 01:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Thank you for all the helpful information.

I will pursue the options suggested.

My goodness I became a post monger in one day

Seriously, thanks to all.
Hopefully I will meet a few of you guys this summer.
Bill W.
Old 03-12-2009, 01:48 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got the Bug View Post
I drove three cars when I was looking and I didn't know the owners. I flew down to Hillbank and Lance let me take a consigned car out for a test drive with him as a passenger.

Bill - If you look around, you'll find some cars to drive. Good luck in your search.
Yes, Doug, but you look like a Silicon Valley techie, uh, maybe a few inches taller than is typical.
Old 03-12-2009, 02:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Well, I will continue reading, studying and trying to decide.

The million dollar question is "What is authenic?"

How true is true?

Last year, before the market, well you guys know...

Even as I looked at the continuation series I am seeing that some were made at shelby and now somewhere else. Does this matter in the end?
Does Superformance carry the same weight as Shelby continuation?
Why would I want one over another?
Do I want a Kirkham?

One needs to be a varitable encyclopedia

I'm working on that, but still have a lot to learn.
I still have a lot of questions??????

I do want to be around them this summer, that much I am sure of.
Old 03-12-2009, 02:25 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 4758, CSX 381 Keith Craft 482 w/ Weber 48 IDA's
Not Ranked     

Bill W.,

Read all the posts you can on this and other forums, take notes, go look at lots of cars in person at various shows and club meets, talk to the owners, and then make up your mind on where you want to be. Is it going to be a show car, a driver, a racer, both driver and racer, trailer queen, a weekend warrior, a collector, whatever. Then go for the manufacturer that has the majority of the qualities you can check off in your own personal "wants" matrix. Take your time...trust me you tastes will change the more you learn.

Some guys want an aluminum car but don't want to pay the "Shelby Tax" so they get a Kirkham and have everything they wanted. It is an outstanding car with no equals. Others, like me, couldn't afford the aluminum body but wanted the Shelby name, and a car that was fully made in Las Vegas, before the outsourcing to South Africa. My preference and I'm happy with my fiberglas car. My neighbor has a gorgeous Superformance that he installed his own 351 in and loves it and wouldn't want anything else, not even an aluminum body. Again, his own preference.

Also, don't forget to look into the 289 cars....the FIA series, etc. There's a whole other world to these Cobras that are mainly dominated by the 427 S/C copies like mine, and many times the earlier small block cars get overlooked. I personally, would be delighted with a 7000 series aluminum bodied Cobra, but no funds available.

Bottom line, have fun learning, respecting and pursuing these things. It truly is addictive and keep asking questions.

See MrMustangs' comments in this thread:

Hello All!

Last edited by rokndad; 03-12-2009 at 02:38 PM..
Old 03-12-2009, 02:28 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Well, I will continue reading, studying and trying to decide.

The million dollar question is "What is authenic?"

How true is true?

Last year, before the market, well you guys know...

Even as I looked at the continuation series I am seeing that some were made at shelby and now somewhere else. Does this matter in the end?
Do I want a Kirkham?

One needs to be a varitable encyclopedia

I'm working on that, but still have a lot to learn.
I still have a lot of questions??????

I do want to be around them this summer, that much I am sure of.
What is authenic? A made in the 1960's CSX 2000 or CSX 3000 series.

I've read the claim that the early CSX 4000's (pre-4250 +/- or made in Las Vegas) are better and yield higher resale values, and this premium may exist, but I haven't seen any empirical evidence of that.

The Shelby continuation Cobras are considered more valuable and cost more.

What do you want in your Cobra?

Do I want a Kirkham?

One of the first questions you have to ask yourself, besides the "budget" and the "build versus roller" question, is do you want aluminum or fiberglass? Everyone has their own preference(s).