Club Cobra GasN Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > General Discussion > Club Cobra Introduction Forum (introduce yourself)

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-04-2009, 02:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Just registered and need your opinion on buying a Backdraft Cobra

Hi Guys,

I am very new to the site but hope to get some help from the veterans here. I am 28 and I'm looking to get a Backdraft Cobra. Because I'm not a purist like many of you might be, I was looking to turbocharge my Cobra. Jay at Vintage Motorsports has been extremely helpful is telling what I need for this project.

First I need you guys to give me the cons and pros on turbocharging an american V8 such as a 427...402 or a 351 engine. Jay mentioned that the compression ratio for a turbo needs to be 8:1 so most engines are out of the question as they all put out 10:1 ratios. If anyone thinks that I have wrong info please let me know. So please advise as to what engine would best pair up with a singe or twin turbo set up. I am leaning towards Garrett twin or single turbo systems.

Second...please advise if there will be much turbo lag with a V8 or should I just simply get a supercharger instead. I want the torque to be available at all times so If I'm going 65 I want to be able to shoot to 100 quickly.

Last thing..please let me know if you think the car will look good in a matte black satin finish. Its a rare combo I know but I have seen it on Lambos and such and it looks so cool. Wonder if it will look cool with PowderCoated side pipes...

Anyway...please help as I am ready to order this insane car but the heart of the snake is still confusing to me. I would appreciate all comments good or bad and please let me know what you think....My original idea for turbocharging a cobra came from http://www.hermanndesign.com/cb1project/cb1Cached.html

Thanks a lot guys,
Max

Last edited by AlmostThere; 04-04-2009 at 03:01 PM..
Old 04-04-2009, 02:13 PM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     

Max,

Backdraft makes some beautiful cars and Jay is a top notch dealer for them, so you cannot go wrong there.........I do have to ask, with so many different engine combinations that put out 400+ HP, why ido you have your heart set on a turbocharged engine? Not questioning your sanity, just looking to figure out where you are going with this particular set up. Perhaps drag racing (forget about the turbo in that case), road racing (been there, done that in an older 930 Turbo, not suggested either), which leaves top speed events (salt flats or Arizona balls out style runs), in which the turbo can help get your car that extra ooommmph to get you over the top of your speed class. Again, just trying to see what your ultimate goal and useage will be for the car........

Will await your detailed response and we can go from there.

Bill S.

First time Cobra buyers-READ THIS
Old 04-04-2009, 02:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft #90, 351w,Tremec 3550, SB100 SOLD
Not Ranked     

Max,

Have you driven a Backdraft or any other Cobra (replica or original0? The reason I ask is I can't imagine what would happen in a turbo charged car when you stomp on the gas, get a turbo lag and the power kicks in! Unless you are going in a very straight line, your will most likely see the back end of your car coming around you! Next is an out of control spin where you will be lucky if you don't hit something. I would recommend spending my money on a high horsepower naturally aspirated engine. Believe my you will have PLENTY of power.

You are a pretty young guy and it seems your generation loves turbocharged cars. OK I suppose on a Japanese rocket, but not so cool on a Cobra. Not because of the technology, but because of handling as I mentioned above.

Just be careful what you build!

Skip B
Old 04-04-2009, 02:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Smile

Hi Bill

Thank you so much for the comments and I apologize for the vague explanations. The real reason I am a bit set on a turbo is that wooosh effect and then the power delivery following it that really excites me. I must say if enough people convince me to do otherwise I will certainly not do a turbo. Thats why your comments are so important to me

I understand that a 2500 lbs car with 400+ horses will move fast as is although I am a daily driver and drag racing or any kind of competitive driving will not be part of my goal. I do want a car that can have available torgue at any rpm and any gear so I am trying to figure out the best setup for it.

I have looked at some superchargers such as Kenny Bell (Sounds a bit weird) but at the same time I am also tempted to leave the snake pure V8. Next dilemma would be to know which powerplant to go with. Anyway...please throw some thoughts and ideas out and let me know how you feel about a turbo...a supercharger...or just 400+ natural V8

Thanks Bill
Max
Old 04-04-2009, 02:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA # 208, 428CJ
Not Ranked     

I think Bill S's ERA #188 is the way to go ....any pictures of #188 Bill !
Old 04-04-2009, 02:36 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Skip,

Wow...thanks a lot for the advise and the honesty. Thats exactly the kind of opinions I want. To answer your question I have not driven a Backdraft roadster so I technically do not know how the car handles and I definitely dont want to see the back of my cobra come around the front...scarry sight without an airbag or much safety.

By the way my original idea for turbocharging a cobra is from http://www.hermanndesign.com/cb1project/cb1Cached.html

You are right about my generation and my first car was a VW Golf 1.8Turbo so I guess I'm a bit stuck on the feel or it but at the same time the Japanese rockets make me puke my guts...the sounds..the handling and worst of all the huge spoilers as if they will lift off.

That said...can you please tell me how good the Backdraft handling really is. I mean the do use BMW suspension parts so I wonder how close to a BMW does i feel...

Also if I was to just do a plane v8...in your opinion would I do a 427 Roush..402 Roush or a 351w...it must be a small block for sure due to the fact that I dont want to make the car any heavier and mess with the balance of front to back weight

Thanks again
Max

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkipB View Post
Max,

Have you driven a Backdraft or any other Cobra (replica or original0? The reason I ask is I can't imagine what would happen in a turbo charged car when you stomp on the gas, get a turbo lag and the power kicks in! Unless you are going in a very straight line, your will most likely see the back end of your car coming around you! Next is an out of control spin where you will be lucky if you don't hit something. I would recommend spending my money on a high horsepower naturally aspirated engine. Believe my you will have PLENTY of power.

You are a pretty young guy and it seems your generation loves turbocharged cars. OK I suppose on a Japanese rocket, but not so cool on a Cobra. Not because of the technology, but because of handling as I mentioned above.

Just be careful what you build!

Skip B

Last edited by AlmostThere; 04-04-2009 at 02:59 PM..
Old 04-04-2009, 03:13 PM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlmostThere View Post
Hi Bill

Thank you so much for the comments and I apologize for the vague explanations. The real reason I am a bit set on a turbo is that wooosh effect and then the power delivery following it that really excites me. I must say if enough people convince me to do otherwise I will certainly not do a turbo. Thats why your comments are so important to me

I understand that a 2500 lbs car with 400+ horses will move fast as is although I am a daily driver and drag racing or any kind of competitive driving will not be part of my goal. I do want a car that can have available torgue at any rpm and any gear so I am trying to figure out the best setup for it.

I have looked at some superchargers such as Kenny Bell (Sounds a bit weird) but at the same time I am also tempted to leave the snake pure V8. Next dilemma would be to know which powerplant to go with. Anyway...please throw some thoughts and ideas out and let me know how you feel about a turbo...a supercharger...or just 400+ natural V8

Thanks Bill
Max
Max,

Based on what I just read in this post, forget about a turbo or supercharger, instead focus on something with "enough horsepower and torque" to fill the void. Semi or actual daily driver, a cobra is like nothing else you have ever driven before, short wheelbase, let's say 350+hp, yes, all in a car weighing in at less than 2,600lbs (a typical late model Mustang weighs in at 4450lbs for example)...Again do not get caught up in being the king of the hill strictly for the bragging rights of having more HP than anyone else. There are limits to what the chassis of a cobra can handle in regards to putting useable power to the pavement. Eventually you turn the car into something that is no longer a pleasure to drive....I suggest finding a few cobra owners in general LA area and have them take you for a few rides. It will not matter how much HP they have or what chassis and suspension package they have, you will get the picture rather quickly as to what I stated in the first part of this post. Now, with that said, keep in mind you live in California, educate yourself as to what it takes to register a Cobra in your state, speak with folks in your state who have done it successfully, then go from there.

Sincerely,

Bill S.

Old 04-04-2009, 03:24 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Bill

Thanks again for all the info....I will try to find someone with a backdraft cobra in LA and see if they can give me a ride. I definitely agree on the horsepower...in fact if I wanted like 600 or 700hp I would probably go with some rediculous big block set up....I definitely will love anywhere between 400-500hp and no more

As I said it will be somewhat of a daily driver. Again...thank you for your time

Max
Old 04-04-2009, 03:34 PM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Bill

Thanks again for all the info....I will try to find someone with a backdraft cobra in LA and see if they can give me a ride. I definitely agree on the horsepower...in fact if I wanted like 600 or 700hp I would probably go with some rediculous big block set up....I definitely will love anywhere between 400-500hp and no more

As I said it will be somewhat of a daily driver. Again...thank you for your time

Max
I think your 400-500hp figure is still too high for a daily driver Cobra. Again forget the basic number as you are thinking 4,000_lb car when you are in something 1,400lbs lighter. 300-350 is plenty of power for a daily driver Cobra while still being able to blast the quarter mile at 12.5 seconds at 115+mph and have 0-60 times less than 5 seconds (traction is the key here).........Plenty of naturally aspirated small blocks can push this easily, all while running pump gas.......As for the BB and 700-800hp thing, it is less expensive for you to make that type of HP with a small block in the long run, but you'll have to forget running any type of pump gas available in your state...........

Bill S.

Old 04-04-2009, 04:27 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA slabside on order
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagxjr5012 View Post
I think Bill S's ERA #188 is the way to go ....any pictures of #188 Bill !
Yeah Bill, how about some pictures of #188??
Old 04-04-2009, 05:00 PM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Oil View Post
Yeah Bill, how about some pictures of #188??
Did you click on the words "for sale" in my sig line? The ERA is the British Racing Green one pictured.

Bill S.

Old 04-04-2009, 05:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Smile

Thanks again Bill....you have been a huge help....

Where should I look for engines....I know Roush has some great small blocks and so does Keith Craft...Please advise which engine would give constant torgue availability but something that the car can handle without spinning out on me

Thanks
Max
Old 04-04-2009, 05:10 PM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Thanks again Bill....you have been a huge help....

Where should I look for engines....I know Roush has some great small blocks and so does Keith Craft...Please advise which engine would give constant torgue availability but something that the car can handle without spinning out on me

Thanks
Max
Without spinning out, that depends on you as a 200,000 mile 220hp stock 5.0L can cause the car to spin out if you floor it. Rousha and Keithcraft both build killer engines, but personally I prefer the 302/345hp ford, or the 351W/385hp Ford crate engines(not affiliated to the web site linked, just easy to read Ford specs listed), simple, effective, plenty of torque and HP and they both run on pump gas. No need to get exotic with stroker kits when simple inexpensive power is available. Again, you asked, I answered, take it any way you like. In the end though, I do hope you find it helpful.

Sincerely,

Bill S.

Old 04-04-2009, 05:44 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2613 Titanium w/Black, Roush 402SR
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Hi Bill

The real reason I am a bit set on a turbo is that wooosh effect and then the power delivery following it that really excites me. I must say if enough people convince me to do otherwise I will certainly not do a turbo. Thats why your comments are so important to me
400 to 500 HP is going to give you enough "woosh" effect that you might have to check your pants. Anything beyond that is bragging rights, which is fine. I also laugh when I see Nitrous tanks installed. Just not my thing and makes it look like a Honda Civic street racer. Well, to each his own.

No stop signs, speed limit - Nobody's gonna slow me down - Like a wheel, gonna spin it

Last edited by Got the Bug; 04-04-2009 at 05:47 PM..
Old 04-04-2009, 06:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadster
Not Ranked     

Almost,
I thought it would be great to take the Cobra to a baseball game at Dodger stadium, but now that I have one that is the last place I would want to drive it. Fwy driving gets rather boring, stop and go traffic is really bad, cold/windy/rainny or threatening also bad. I think the novelty of being a daily driver would wear off in a short period especially if you go overboard with the engine. You can't get gas without a conversation with people who want to tell you their friend or relative knew someone with a real Cobra. That's not really so bad but every day it might get old. You worry where you park. You have to buckle up extra belts. You gotta warm it up. You just don't jump in and go. Don't get wrong, none of these things are bad. Just my opinion about the daily driver aspect. A better weekend warrior with occaisional trips around town. Oh by the way, there are faster cars on the road but most respect the Cobra. You don't have to be the fastest. Save the racing for the track. Good luck, have fun and be safe.

John
Old 04-04-2009, 06:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR #89, KCR aluminum 427 windsor
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Bill

Max
You don't have to go big block to get 600+ horsepower... but that's another story. Were I looking for a semi-daily driver, I'd look to one of the mod-motored Backdrafts... or at the very least, fuel injected. The loftier end of the horsepower range is probably going to need a fairly snotty cam, which is NOT going to be happy slogging around in rush hour traffic. My engine still scares the crap out of me... and I've only just begun to explore that deep well of power beneath my right foot. It's a handful around town... between the heat wafting up from the pipes and the workout on your left quad. That, and the fact that there's so few places where you can actually use & enjoy all that excess power. You can tell people any horsepower number you want... 98% of them are not going to know if you're telling the truth anyways.
BDR #89- KCR aluminum 427 windsor, TKO-600
Old 04-04-2009, 06:41 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR #89, KCR aluminum 427 windsor
Not Ranked     

one more thing, since you asked... regarding the matte/satin black finish... I think it's a trend, and that you'd "date" yourself going with that type of finish. You'd also severely limit your pool of buyers (were you to ever sell it) by going with such a specific paint finish. Yea, everyone says they'll never sell their car... but it happens... A LOT. The whole "matte-finish, murdered-out" thang seems so played-out around here. I've seen too many cars with a do-it-yourself matte finish. You can't tell if they meant it to look that way, or couldn't afford a decent paint job & got out the rattle cans, or if they just stole it from Maaco. There's one guy in town that did it to his chrysler sebring convertible... But whatever... if that's how you want to roll, so be it... YOU'RE the one who needs to be happy with it.
BDR #89- KCR aluminum 427 windsor, TKO-600

Last edited by Slick61; 04-04-2009 at 09:40 PM.. Reason: typo
Old 04-04-2009, 06:45 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft #520, 302 FORD racing Z50Z,t-56,391 posi
Not Ranked     

Hey almost there WE have made 3 supercharged engines, they have been a blast, we have used Ford Racing 340 hp crate engine, because the camshaft overlap and compression has been acceptable for boost, they have been quite fast as far as pull and drivability! The supplier claims 450 hp in this application,it sure feels that strong!!
Old 04-05-2009, 01:47 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick61 View Post
The whole "matte-finish, murdered-out" thang seems so played-out around here. I've seen too many cars with a do-it-yourself matte finish. You can't tell if they meant it to look that way, or couldn't afford a decent paint job & got out the rattle cans, or if they just stole it from Maaco.
MATTE black (called Hotrod Suede) is a personal choice and difficult to get to lay right (even and consistant instead of mottled and tiger striped with high and low spotted looks). Far more difficult than a typical BC/CC paint job...Looks great when done right, but looks like a rattle can primer job when done wrong...

As a MAACO franchisee/shop owner, I love to hear comments like this then put guys who state them in their place with shots like this:

A beautiful tri stage Velocity Red Mica that when cut and buffed will rival anything you see coming out of a high priced shop.We use the same paint lines, the same materials, and at least in my case a higher qualified painter to do our work than other shops. However, as a disclaimer, since every shop is independently owned and operated I will say results will vary from shop to shop and I am not quite your typical owner

Bill S.

Last edited by mrmustang; 04-05-2009 at 01:52 AM..
Old 04-05-2009, 08:45 AM
Backdraft Racing Dealer
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft Racing
Not Ranked     

Max,
Great to see you on here. I am running out to drive some cars at the moment but I wanted to post a picture for you to think about... as a younger guy you have a different impression of how the engines should look and feel and I really think you would be a great candidate to try one of the new modular cars with the Ford 4.6 3V engine and top it off with a Roushcharger:

In fact this engine package will soon be available direct from Roush.