Club Cobra GasN Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > General Discussion > Club Cobra Introduction Forum (introduce yourself)

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Old 05-01-2009, 08:45 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 6022, navy blue, period correct 427 SO
Not Ranked     
Default New member looking for cobra

Hi I am a 2007 GT500 owner who is looking to also become a 1965 cobra owner. After some research, I think that a Shelby CSX fiberglass car is the right one for me. I am beginning to look at options and engines. The car will be used mostly for the street with only limited track time.

I am also considering doing the engine/transmission install myself (mostly for the experience), although I have read some threads on this forum of problems that might lead me to reconsider. I am mechanically inclined and have some experience with 60's Ford Mustangs, but am certainly not an expert. Do they have shop manuals for these cars?

Thoughts, comments, advice on any of the above?

Anyone have a CSX that they want to sell?
Old 05-01-2009, 09:00 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

http://www.clubcobra.com/classifieds...uct/2125/cat/2
Old 05-01-2009, 09:02 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Also, check www.cobracountry.com.
Old 05-01-2009, 09:12 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2613 Titanium w/Black, Roush 402SR
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcdoug View Post
Hi I am a 2007 GT500 owner who is looking to also become a 1965 cobra owner. After some research, I think that a Shelby CSX fiberglass car is the right one for me. I am beginning to look at options and engines. The car will be used mostly for the street with only limited track time.

I am also considering doing the engine/transmission install myself (mostly for the experience), although I have read some threads on this forum of problems that might lead me to reconsider. I am mechanically inclined and have some experience with 60's Ford Mustangs, but am certainly not an expert. Do they have shop manuals for these cars?

Thoughts, comments, advice on any of the above?

Anyone have a CSX that they want to sell?
Welcome to CC Doug!

If you're going to do the install yourself and want to buy a new roller, start scanning the Shelby dealers to see what they have in stock.

http://www.shelbyautos.com/dealers.asp

No stop signs, speed limit - Nobody's gonna slow me down - Like a wheel, gonna spin it
Old 05-01-2009, 11:00 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Why the Shelby as opposed to ERA, SPF or some other higher end replica?
Larry
Old 05-01-2009, 11:10 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Although it may seem silly to some, I like the authenticity of the Shelby.
Old 05-01-2009, 11:16 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
It's tough, but drive a few cars before you commit. Although you might like the authenticity of the CSX, you may prefer how other cars drive, your fit in the car, etc.

No stop signs, speed limit - Nobody's gonna slow me down - Like a wheel, gonna spin it
Old 05-01-2009, 11:22 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Good advice. I will do that.

Doug
Old 05-01-2009, 11:25 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX4005LA, Roush 427IR
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Good advice. I will do that.

Doug
I didn't fit in the Superformance but did fit in the Shelby. You should try them on first especially if you are tall.
Old 05-01-2009, 11:31 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
It's not silly. It's obviously a very important criteria to you and you want to be happy.

While it may have not have been smart on my part, I knew exactly which car that I wanted. I didn't need to try them all on for size, but certainly good advice by Doug. I just didn't follow it and I'm still happy with my choice.

Whatever the nonsense that follows on this thread, the CSX is a good choice. Good luck.
Old 05-01-2009, 12:00 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AK1085 (302), HTM111 (427 Comp), CSX2375R (289 Comp) and Scratch 427 S/C
Not Ranked     

If you can afford a CSX roller it will certainly be a great choice even over KMS, ERA, SPF and others. Mainly the CSX# at least gives you the right to say it is a real Shelby. If you want ally, or think you might, consider KMS. KMS roller is few more $$ than a CSX glass roller however you will always be able to say "Yes, it is Ally!"

My suggestion on the motor is build/buy a motor with moderate power for the displacement. If you want to turn the key and drive anywhere anytime skip the super powered option. It will be better on gas, run cooler and will be dependable.

A friend with an original CSX said: Today's replicas are much more powerful than the 60's cars. I drove it and agree it feels more like 425hp rather than 500+.

You can get the authentic feel w/o sacrificing power, just don't go overboard.

Last edited by 1985 CCX; 05-01-2009 at 12:05 PM..
Old 05-01-2009, 12:24 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks for the continued advice. I am 6'2" and about 190. Any comments on models that typically won't fit for a taller person?
Old 05-01-2009, 12:38 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Thanks for the continued advice. I am 6'2" and about 190. Any comments on models that typically won't fit for a taller person?
I'm exactly the same height/weight as you. I've got an SPF with the seat bolted to the floor (no rails) and all the way back. I like the lower seating position and it gives me about 1" of room between my knee and the dash. Depending on the length of your legs, you might also need to modify the seat of a CSX car.

I guess the other thing I would add, is that there are a ton on smokin' deals out there right now. If you build new, you'll end up eating some depreciation...just like driving it off the lot.

Last edited by Got the Bug; 05-01-2009 at 12:40 PM..
Old 05-01-2009, 04:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Not silly at all. Whats important to you is the most important thing. When all the comments are done, it's still your car. A glass CSX is a great car for sure.
I personally like glass over aluminum if you drive it much. It doesn't dent!

Driving a couple different manfucturers is a great idea. It's amazing how different they are when you've been in a couple different ones.
Larry
Old 05-01-2009, 05:24 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427 SC s/n 718, 428 FE
Not Ranked     

The CSX glass car would be a wise choice, especially if you can find one ready to deliver at a Shelby dealer. With the economy the way it is, I'm sure you can find one at a discount. Buy or build a somewhat mild FE for great driveability and accuracy. It's a great time to have a Cobra. Good luck.
Old 05-01-2009, 06:43 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX4761, KCR Shelby Alloy 496,760hp
Send a message via AIM to misfit41
Not Ranked     

There are lots of great cars for sure ,I have to say I am happy I bought the csx. Although not original it is true to original design and folks looking in the engine compartment can tell the frame and design diffrence. My car drives and handles great and has the stance a cobra should, I am also suprised with the ride quality.My next choice would be a kirkham but they are more money. I agree with whom ever mentioned buying a built car ,makes lots of sense.Tk

"this whole Adult thing just isnt working for me "
Old 05-01-2009, 06:55 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZOERA-SC7XX View Post
The CSX glass car would be a wise choice, especially if you can find one ready to deliver at a Shelby dealer. With the economy the way it is, I'm sure you can find one at a discount. Buy or build a somewhat mild FE for great driveability and accuracy. It's a great time to have a Cobra. Good luck.
HST has some in stock. Mine is a carbon fiber body and it is absolutely the most beautiful body work I've ever seen.
Old 05-01-2009, 08:46 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

A CSX "street" roller was just purchased recently on eBay for $41K, if I remember correctly. It may have been purchased by someone here on the Forum. Deals are out there for both rollers and complete cars. I remember Keith Craft was offering on eBay a complete CSX S/C with one of his aluminum 482 engines in it for $75,000-$80,000 not that long ago too. That's basically your range +/- a few thousand.

I almost bought a fiberglass CSX, but decided the shiny look was for me.
Old 05-02-2009, 06:38 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPO 2715
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodKnock View Post
It's not silly. It's obviously a very important criteria to you and you want to be happy.

While it may have not have been smart on my part, I knew exactly which car that I wanted. I didn't need to try them all on for size, but certainly good advice by Doug. I just didn't follow it and I'm still happy with my choice.

Whatever the nonsense that follows on this thread, the CSX is a good choice. Good luck.
Winner-winner, chicken dinner.

To the OP, congrats on going old skewl with the rest of us. Having drivin both cars, with similar HP/weight ratios, I can tell you it is a completely different experience. These cars will always keep your attention (or should) when driving them.

Good luck on the seach, buy what is right for you!

E
Old 05-02-2009, 08:03 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I am learning to drive my 427S/C. It is very fun but has a set of limits that can't be tested in everyday street driving. If you're primarily interested in a street car with a little less hp/weight ratio and still want to be totally authentic look at a 289-style (CSX7000/CSX8000 series).