Club Cobra Gas-N Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > General Discussion > Club Cobra Introduction Forum (introduce yourself)

Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        
Old 06-01-2009, 10:19 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default newbie - seeking research advice

Hello, I'm Jason from Texas, I am new and am seeking advice.

I am wanting to build a cobra replica with my father in law who is a die-hard Ford fan. He has owned many mustangs in the past, and only buys Ford.

So, here is the direction I would like to go:

- Durability & dependability (don't want to break down on the road)
- Original in looks only (not competing)
- Ease of maintenance
- Able to fit big guys (I'm 6'3, and my father in law is 6'1)
- Good instructions (basic, not expert experience needed)
- Needs to have as many Ford parts as possible.

Again - we are looking to build a weekend cruiser for fun, not to compete.
I'm thinkin if you can drop a modern F-150 or mustang engine into a well thought out and documented kit, that would be great. I enjoy building, but don't want something that would take > 5 years of weekends to build because I have to coordinate my time with his. I look forward to just cruising around in the open air on weekends, and possibly handing this down to future generations.

Any recommendations?
Old 06-01-2009, 12:36 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 758 KC Pond 482
Not Ranked     

What kind of budget you have for the car will dictate your choices. An aluminum CSX car is quite close to an original but is well over $100K. The farther down the scale you go, the farther away from an original looking car you get. Are you thinking big block car or small block? 427 street car, S/C, FIA, Slabside? Most cars will accomodate someone your size. I am 6'3" as well.
Old 06-01-2009, 12:49 PM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by xracerbob View Post
What kind of budget you have for the car will dictate your choices.

Times two on this one.

Besides that, the first thing you need to ask yourself (after finding a car that you will fit in), "how much am I willing to spend?". You can then narrow the field down as to whether you want a big block or small block powered car. Choices after that are all up to you.

Sincerely,

Bill S.

First time Cobra buyers-READ THIS
Old 06-01-2009, 02:31 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Thanks guys.

My budget would have to be under $40k.

I want the look of a Cobra 427 roadster similar to ERA's 427:
http://www.erareplicas.com/427/427sc.htm

Still doable?
Old 06-01-2009, 03:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR3542K, 347 C. I., EFI, T-5, Miata Front Sway Bar, 3 Link, Red with White Stripes
Not Ranked     
Default Welcome!

Jason,
Where in Texas are you? Lots of cars and clubs around for you to check out already built cars and learn about the builds the guys had. Lone Star has a longer Cobra than most and they are out of Dallas. PM me if you want. I am around Austin.
FFR3542K, 347, Holley Sniper EFI, T-5, 4 Wheel Discs, 3-Link, Miata Front Sway Bar, Red with White Stripes
Old 06-01-2009, 04:38 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default You need to look at some cars

MN_Moose Jason The best info I can give you is to find the Texas cobra club and go to a couple of there get togethers. The other thing would be to maybe come to the London show in Ohio in a couple of months on a weekend. The prices on cobra are all over from the 20's to 120,000's. With your height being a issue, this is going to narrow down the numbers to which car you may fit in. You can put together a cobra in the garage in under 100 hours after the painting is done. You need to sit down and draw up a battle plan of what you want in the car, wheels and tires, motor, transmission, rearend,( solid axle or IRS) Exhaust, carb or FI system, Brake system, and the best for last... What color you want it and finding someone that knows how to paint fiberglass. You might want to buy a car that is already done and save alot of time and just cruise. There are a few for sale here and on other forums. How deep your pocket is and how crazy you want to go is the only limit to your build. Rick L. Ps welcome to the badness. Hope you and your father have a great trip on this circus ride.
Old 06-01-2009, 05:12 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN_Moose View Post
Any recommendations?
Spend this summer reading the posts on this web site. Almost everything there is to know about Cobra replicas can be found here. If you're still seriously interested in builiding one, or buying one, after three or four months of research, then by that time you will have figured out the direction that best suits you. Or, more likely, you will be like the 98% of people that come to their senses and realize that a Cobra is just not for them.
Old 06-01-2009, 08:07 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hurricane Motorsports; KC408w: 546HP/ 553TQ
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by RICK LAKE View Post
MN_Moose Jason The best info I can give you is to find the Texas cobra club and go to a couple of there get togethers.
Ditto...

You are in luck if you are in Dallas.

I guess the same might be said if you live in Austin or Houston also.
Old 06-02-2009, 05:35 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadster, 408 LSX
Not Ranked     

Welcome Jason.
Another question I think you should be honest with yourself about is how much if any of the work do you want to do yourself. If you want to enjoy the build with your father-in-law great. If you just want to enjoy a Cobra together this is THE time to buy a used one. I just finished a build it was great but it would have been a lot quicker and cheaper to buy used. IMHO.
What part of Texas are you in?

-Greg

Last edited by G_Edmonds; 06-02-2009 at 06:05 AM.. Reason: edit
Old 06-02-2009, 06:33 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Fords
Not Ranked     

if you can afford the initial outlay of cash, then buying a car already put together is the way to go, imho. These days, you won't save much money by assembling a kit as many good deals on used replica Cobras are out there.

Z. Ray
Old 06-02-2009, 07:46 AM
Member of the north
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A Cobra
Not Ranked     

Lonestar classics.

They are in Texas and have a reasonably price car you can assemble.

Just my opinion.

Old 06-02-2009, 08:31 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Thanks guys - I live west of Fort Worth about 20 miles.

Lots of questions to answer back.

It is good to know that buying used is cheaper than building new.

To be honest, I am not as much of a gear head as I think a middle-aged man should be.
Building this thing would build a car I've always wanted and also educate me on how to build a car from the ground up and learn about all the systems. I build model aircraft and have learned a ton by scratch building my own planes. I enjoy flying as much as building and am looking for that same personal satisfaction on this type of project.

I know this is a bit ambitious and perhaps naive, but that is my goal.

Thanks again for the suggestions and direction you all have provided. I will spend even more time researching and try to sign up for the nearest Cobra group that meets in person.
Old 06-02-2009, 08:37 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Fords
Not Ranked     

you don't sound naive at all. If you can build planes (of any size) that can fly, then building a car that can roll shouldn't be a problem.

Z. Ray
Old 06-02-2009, 07:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR3542K, 347 C. I., EFI, T-5, Miata Front Sway Bar, 3 Link, Red with White Stripes
Not Ranked     

Jason,
I hope some of the Dallas/Ft. Worth guys will post up and offer some advice. Keep an eye on this forum for their next event and go and join them. You don't have to have a Cobra to join in. Here is Lone Star Classic's info. Go visit them and see what they have to offer.
FFR3542K, 347, Holley Sniper EFI, T-5, 4 Wheel Discs, 3-Link, Miata Front Sway Bar, Red with White Stripes
Old 06-02-2009, 08:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Here you go Jason!
June Lunch Meeting
Old 06-03-2009, 01:52 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA 'Street' Build
Not Ranked     

Jason,

Lot's of great advice above, especially getting together with your local Club Cobra members and exploring this web site. Late in 2007, I was were you are now ... wanting to build a Cobra, but not sure where or how to start.

One other suggestion is to get Curt Scott's Complete Cobra guide ( http://www.cobracountry.com/home2.html ... then click on the Cobra Buyer's Guide tab ).

Some of it is out of date, but it's a good place to start and a good reference. Makes for interesting reading and another good source of information.

Best of luck to you.

- Tim
Old 06-03-2009, 12:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Midstates (2001)
Not Ranked     

Welcome Jason, if you can build an airplane you can build a Cobra , Set a budget , do lots of research and ask thousands of questions of every Cobra guy you see and keep an open mind because your best laid plans will change often ........the end results are well worth it.....
Old 06-03-2009, 12:59 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AK1085 (302), HTM111 (427 Comp), CSX2375R (289 Comp) and Scratch 427 S/C
Not Ranked     

Jason,

Many opinions, huh?

Many have already stated:
1) What is the budget 100k or 25k makes a huge difference in market.
2) How handy are you, if you are limited a factory/pro built car might be best?
3) Buy what you will actually drive and use. Translation don't spend 75k on a car if you can really only afford 50k as you will not enjoy it. Buy what is within your means or the experience might be souring.
4) A build will cost more than a turn key used car. Might be worth considering a used driver if you are looking to build.
5) Don't buy it as an investment, reference item 4 above.

Lastly, get involved with the group in your area. See cars first hand, meet crowd and decide what is right for you. Might even be a small block car? Based upon your "Ford parts" comment a SPF would be a great choice as gthey are factory assembled and tight.

Best of luck.

Last edited by 1985 CCX; 06-03-2009 at 01:02 PM..