Club Cobra Gas - N Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > General Discussion > Club Cobra Introduction Forum (introduce yourself)

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-14-2009, 07:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR 903 - Backdraft RT3B - 4.6 DOHC SC
Not Ranked     
Default newbie ?????'s on kits

After a recent visit to a large show in the area... I was reminded how awesome of a machine the cobra really is.

After talking with my uncle, I decided to consider what it would take to build a beast. A few hours of brainstorming and we have come up with a few requirements:

-Must have an IRS
-Must support a 4.6 terminator from an 03 Cobra

So the question is which kit may work well?
Which manufacturer provides great service and attention to quality?

After browsing the web, I have stumbled across these 2 manufacturers. Anyone have any experieince with these companies? Any others to consider?

Premier Cobras - Kansas City, MO
Everett-Morrison - La Porte, TX

Thank you for your time
Old 07-14-2009, 07:21 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary, FE, Tremec TKO 600
Not Ranked     

What's your budget? Like you I consider IRS to be an absolute requirement. ERA, Kirkham, Unique, come to mind as cars that are built by smaller personalized companies that may be willing to work with you to adapt their car to your engine of choice. Give them each a call and see what they say.
Old 07-14-2009, 07:24 PM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham 482 ci alum block
Not Ranked     

You might want to check out a Factory Five.
Old 07-14-2009, 07:30 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham, KMP178 / '66 GT350H, 4-speed
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Temptation View Post
I agree with David... Factory Five. (period)

Check out the builders on http://www.ffcobra.com
Old 07-14-2009, 07:32 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by 767Jockey View Post
What's your budget? Like you I consider IRS to be an absolute requirement. ERA, Kirkham, Unique, come to mind as cars that are built by smaller personalized companies that may be willing to work with you to adapt their car to your engine of choice. Give them each a call and see what they say.
Appreciate the quick feedback... I am still trying to determine a budget. We thought it could be done for 45-50. But with anything else... budgets are usually modified as projects progress.

I have looked a Unique's website and liked their product... but have reservations with the Jag IRS. (based on uncle input... huge mustang cobra fan) Does Unique offer any other options?

Well... I guess picking up the phone will certainly help.
Old 07-14-2009, 07:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by computerworks View Post
I agree with David... Factory Five. (period)

Check out the builders on http://www.ffcobra.com
You know I dismissed Factory Five due to using a donor car. I guess one could build one without it... Maybe worth another look..
Old 07-14-2009, 09:20 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 289 FIA #2108
Not Ranked     

Remember that not all Cobra replica bodies replicate the original Cobra shape. Find a shape that you like, and go with it.

There used to be a magazine type book out there called, "The Complete Guide to Cobras and Cobra Replicas", by Curt Scott. His web site is www.cobracountry.com There is also a video worth checking out, called "Bitten by the Snake". Don't know if it's still available.

You took the first right step by joining CC. Brace yourself: everyone here has on opinion.

DD

"You're kidding, right?"
Old 07-14-2009, 10:35 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary, FE, Tremec TKO 600
Not Ranked     

Just had a real intersting thought - based on your engine choice and an IRS, how about a D+D Cobra from up in Montreal. Hell, it even LOOKS like a Cobra. (Sorry, I had to throw that in there - the Devil made me do it.)
Old 07-15-2009, 06:03 AM
Backdraft Racing Dealer
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft Racing
Not Ranked     

That engine setup will go right in a Backdraft. And IRS is standard along with a host of other things. Do you already have the engine? There's actually as much potential it seems in the 3V and it gives you more room to work with.

Old 07-15-2009, 06:42 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Temptation View Post
After a recent visit to a large show in the area... I was reminded how awesome of a machine the cobra really is.

After talking with my uncle, I decided to consider what it would take to build a beast. A few hours of brainstorming and we have come up with a few requirements:

-Must have an IRS

So the question is which kit may work well?
Which manufacturer provides great service and attention to quality?

After browsing the web, I have stumbled across these 2 manufacturers. Anyone have any experieince with these companies? Any others to consider?

Premier Cobras - Kansas City, MO
Everett-Morrison - La Porte, TX

Thank you for your time
FFR, BDR, Unique maybe (unsure you would have to call) ERA can all work with the Terminator motor. As for worrying about the jag rears, there are several here who swear by them, and those that do have high HP/torque motors feeding power to them, so do not write them off just yet just based on what "your uncle" has told you.

Bill S.

First time Cobra buyers-READ THIS
Old 07-15-2009, 06:44 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: None yet!
Send a message via Yahoo to aks801
Not Ranked     

That BDR might be a real good call, based on the brief requirements you've listed and your estimated budget.
Old 07-15-2009, 08:35 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 1966 Lone Star 427SC.
Not Ranked     

If you change your mind, I have a 428 FE with a Tremec tranny for sale. PM or email me. Get excited, you'll be screaming down the road in a COBRA. !
Old 07-15-2009, 04:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I'm not at all familier with the Terminator motor, but I would caution you to assess what you want to do with the car. I think a lot of people build them with hopes of building a really fast car they can go out and run at the strip. only to find out they aren't allowed on the track after a sub 12 second pass. As for the rear end, I agree they are no 9 inch Ford, but I'm told it is pretty much the same thing as a Dana 44. Torque kills rear ends, but if you don't run drag slicks, which you won't, cause you can't drag race it anyhow, you should be fine.
ERA makes, IMO the best looking body in the business. If that's important, the Superformance cars look great also, and they use a Dana rear end (not sure what spec). The only trouble/benefit with Superformance is you don't get to build the car.

Good luck, and enjoy shopping.
Old 07-15-2009, 06:14 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cashburn View Post
That engine setup will go right in a Backdraft. And IRS is standard along with a host of other things. Do you already have the engine? There's actually as much potential it seems in the 3V and it gives you more room to work with.

Yes... the engine is waiting a tear down/rebuild. think it has a thrown valve.
Old 07-15-2009, 06:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by puppster View Post
I'm not at all familier with the Terminator motor, but I would caution you to assess what you want to do with the car. I think a lot of people build them with hopes of building a really fast car they can go out and run at the strip. only to find out they aren't allowed on the track after a sub 12 second pass. As for the rear end, I agree they are no 9 inch Ford, but I'm told it is pretty much the same thing as a Dana 44. Torque kills rear ends, but if you don't run drag slicks, which you won't, cause you can't drag race it anyhow, you should be fine.
ERA makes, IMO the best looking body in the business. If that's important, the Superformance cars look great also, and they use a Dana rear end (not sure what spec). The only trouble/benefit with Superformance is you don't get to build the car.

Good luck, and enjoy shopping.

Appreciate all the feedback. I did look at superperformance and they have a beautiful kit... the con is we cannot build it. (guess there is somthing rewarding about good ole seat and tears in a project)

As for the Temrinator... it is a 4.6L blown from a 03-04 Mustand Cobra. Stock numbers are good for a production car and the motor adapts well to mods. I have been trying to imagine what 500+ hp in one of these rides will equate to.

so as others have said... welcome to the game.... i am sure i will have many more questions.
Old 07-15-2009, 07:07 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Temptation -- Spend the next three to four months reading the posts on this forum; you should put in at least a couple of hours a day doing so. Don't even think about choosing a manufacturer, or what sort of options you think you might want, until you've done that.
Old 07-15-2009, 08:31 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Midstates (2001)
Not Ranked     

Temptation......do your home work on this........you wont be sorry ,in the long it will pay off. find a Cobra club in your area or got to more than one show and ask questions of owners of several different makes of Cobra kits(no two are the same).You should NOT let anybody sway your decision on which kit is the proper one for you. good luck and have fun.
Old 07-16-2009, 04:07 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 66 COBRA FE 427 /4SP. (HCS Coupe w/ 408 Stroker and TKO 600 -sold)
Send a message via AIM to Clois Harlan
Not Ranked     

Doug,

In the under $50 price range you might want to check on B&B. Backdraft, Everrett Morrison, Factory Five, Unique, or maybe JBL. They all can do an IRS and a 4.6 conversion and they are all pretty good companies. Do your homework because they are all different and all survivors of these economic doldrums. During these times when everyone is competing for the next sale it comes down to customer service....who cares most about your investment and your satisfaction after the sale.

Clois

"Let's roll"

"Be part of Something Good
......Leave Something Good Behind!"
from CD "Long Road Out of Eden"
Old 07-16-2009, 06:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clois Harlan View Post
Doug,

In the under $50 price range you might want to check on B&B. Backdraft, Everrett Morrison, Factory Five, Unique, or maybe JBL. They all can do an IRS and a 4.6 conversion and they are all pretty good companies. Do your homework because they are all different and all survivors of these economic doldrums. During these times when everyone is competing for the next sale it comes down to customer service....who cares most about your investment and your satisfaction after the sale.

Clois
Agreed... CS is important and a driving factor in my build. what is interesting is from the 2 manufacturers I looked at thus far and was interested in learning more about their chassis.... no one has commented on them.

Does anyone know if they are still manufacturing kits?

Michael
Old 07-16-2009, 06:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Scratch built CSX style frame, Carbon fiber body, 393 Stroker, T-bird IRS, T5
Not Ranked     

Of the two you first mentioned, I believe Everett Morrison has moved to Texas and is having some growing pains. Do a search on this site and I think you'll find some problems with customer service with the new owners.
Premier Cobras makes a fine Cobra from all apearances, but they are relatively low volume and may be on the ropes right now due to the economy.

For your purposes and budget, it would be difficult to go wrong with FF5 or Unique. Both have great reputations for customer service and quality kits and the builds are well documented in case you run into a problem with either of them.
If you are interested in a 289 FIA over the 427, that narrows it down to the Unique roadster.

Good luck in your research, I believe that is half the fun of this hobby.....

Bob