Club Cobra Gas-N Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > General Discussion > Club Cobra Introduction Forum (introduce yourself)

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-25-2009, 05:45 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Midstates Cobra 390
Not Ranked     
Default New Cobra owner as of Yesterday!

Hi all. It only took me three years to buy a Cobra. Like everyone out there, I wanted to buy the meanest, badest thing on the raod, but I eventually took the "Unique" route.

I bought a Unique 289 FIA #9282 from a gentelman in IN. Great car with an unusual configuration that I'm sure will spark-up some conversations. The difference is it has a Supercharged Ford SHO 3.0 liter engine.

I take delivery on Thrusday of next week and need to go through the CT DMV process. I've read most of the blogs out there but curious if someone could rattle some issues they see with the car. Please take a look and let me know.

Also, very interested it meeting some Cobra guys in the Hartford area (I'm in Rocky Hill).

Glad to be a NEW OWNER!

Nico
Old 07-25-2009, 06:24 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Butler...488" hi-rise, dry-sump FE s/o w/stacks
Not Ranked     

Congratulations....the car looks great.

The SHO motor is a beautiful motor and being supercharged....I don't think you will have any trouble keeping up with the pack.

Have fun and be careful in your new rocket sled.
Old 07-25-2009, 06:26 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AK1085 (302), HTM111 (427 Comp), CSX2375R (289 Comp) and Scratch 427 S/C
Not Ranked     

Drive it like you stole it!
Old 07-25-2009, 06:32 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 2002 Superformance w/392 stroker
Not Ranked     

Congratulations Nico on your Cobra purchase. Hope you have gobs of fun with it and don't mind answering tons of questions about it, especially given the atypical drivetrain choice.

I too just bought a Cobra, roughly three weeks ago. Haven't had it out much as it has rained all but two days since, but am loving it when I do. The body, the power, the sound, the looks I get, the whole experience is terrific.

Enjoy!
Old 07-25-2009, 06:37 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR3542K, 347 C. I., EFI, T-5, Miata Front Sway Bar, 3 Link, Red with White Stripes
Not Ranked     

Welcome to the Cobra madness or disease! This is one thing you will never be cured of.
Have fun and be safe! Just keep in mind snakes bite!
FFR3542K, 347, Holley Sniper EFI, T-5, 4 Wheel Discs, 3-Link, Miata Front Sway Bar, Red with White Stripes
Old 07-25-2009, 06:57 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR3985:
Not Ranked     

Congrats Nico. . .

once you get settled in, we should set up a ride. I'm about 40 minutes away in South Central Mass. IF you're up for it, the local FFR guys are getting together next weekend (8/1) for breakfast and a cruise
Old 07-25-2009, 07:41 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: HM-2027 / 427 SO
Not Ranked     

I think this car was featured in Kit Car magazine at some point?? I have the issue somewhere here. Nice car and congrats.
Old 07-25-2009, 08:25 AM
Backdraft Racing Dealer
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft Racing
Not Ranked     

That is a really cool setup. Different for sure. You are going to have a bit of a headache though with the CT registration requirements, if the inspectors decided to dig in, may have to wait until October 1st for the new rules to take effect.

See: http://www.ct.gov/dmv/cwp/view.asp?a=804&Q=244898

As it is written (see the problem here):

Effective August 1, 2008 all composite vehicles (except motorcycles) presented for a composite inspection will be required to be equipped with the following emissions systems based on the year of manufacture of the engine used in construction.

Emissions controls must match the year of the engine used in the composite vehicle. Documented proof of engine year must be provided by the applicant. This information will be verified for accuracy and the presence of all required components will be verified during the inspection.

Note: This requirement will not apply to vehicles with engines purchased prior to August 1, 2008. Documented proof of engine year and purchase date must still be provided at time of inspection.

All Light Duty Vehicles with Gasoline Engines were equipped with the controls indicated below (Lt. Duty = below 6001 lbs GVWR till 1978 & below 8501 lbs GVWR after):

Year of Engine Emissions Controls Required of All Vehicles That Year

Pre - 1966 None

1966 - 1970 PCV, Variable Advance Distributor

1971 – 1978 PCV, Variable Advance Distributor, Evap. Canister, and Thermostatic Air Cleaner or Air Injection System

1979 – 1988 PCV, Variable Advance Distributor, Evap. Canister, Thermostatic Air Cleaner or Air Injection System, and CAT

1989 – 1995 PCV, Variable Advance Distributor, Evap. Canister, CAT, Computerized Engine Management, O2 sensor

1996 – current PCV, Electronic Spark Control, Evap. Canister, CAT, Closed Loop Computerized Engine Management, O2 sensors, Fuel Injection
Old 07-25-2009, 03:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks guys for the responses.

Joe: I will let you know when I will be up for a ride, but I have a feeling it may not be for a week or so given the DMV obstacles I may encounter.

Jay: Thank you very much for the insight on the process and you just confirmed how much I am dreading the process.

Last thing...How have people paid for a long distance purchase? Wire transfer when car on truck? After receiving? 1/2 at each point?

Let me know...thanks
Old 07-25-2009, 05:03 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF2089
Not Ranked     

Congratulations.
Nice car, once it is in your garage, you will be looking at every 5 minutes,
just to be sure its yours.
Old 07-26-2009, 12:28 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: JBL now SOLD
Send a message via AIM to jdean
Not Ranked     

Nico,

I had someone local look at the car to verify it was as advertised and then did a wire transfer. Seller overnighted me the signed title etc. Car showed up 3 days early in the trailer and I had to scramble to pay the trucker his COD money while he waited.

BTW, I used to have a SHO and really like that engine. Nice. Congratulations!
Old 07-26-2009, 03:27 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427 SC s/n 718, 428 FE
Not Ranked     

Congrats on your Cobra purchase, and welcome to the CT Cobra scene, which is almost non existent. There are no Cobra clubs and no formal get togethers around here, with the exception of Jay at Vintage Motorsports who semi-regularly schedules runs and breakfast trips from his shops in Wallingford. Jay welcomes Cobras of all variations and manufacture and all the local Cobra guys are great when we actually get together. I've met several great guys on a few occasions, but mainly drive with my lady in tow to local cruises and such.
As for DMV, just have all the paperwork, especially the title, bill of sale, and previous registration from whatever state it came from. The inspectors at DMV are fair, but will not register this car as a 1965/66. They want to see that it was registered as a composite or component car. They will not accept an old Ford title! If it was titled as a 1965/66 Cobra, they will want the MSO from the manufacturer. Just a heads-up. Good luck. I'm sure we'll meet up soon.
Rich
Old 08-01-2009, 08:25 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

They dropped the car off yesterday and it's awsome! Although it rained all day yesterday I had to drudge through a night of sleep before I could drive it.

Took a cruise around town (without plates or reg) and really love the drive.

I think I might be into for a long haul on this registration process...I need...

1. E-brake installed
2. Exhaust shield

Not sure what I am going to do about the e-brake, but that might be my first project...

Thoughts???
Old 08-01-2009, 10:39 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadsters
Not Ranked     

That engine looks absolutely awsome sitting in that engine compartment!!!! What do you suppose the HP is ??? After owning my Cobra for over ten years now, I still go in the garage, have a cigar, and just look at it.

Owning a Cobra is not just owning a car, . . . It is a way of life, . . . it defines who you are !!!

________
Old 08-01-2009, 11:05 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Midstates (2001)
Not Ranked     

I used e-brake handle and universal cables from Locar and it works great and was easy to install (followed instructions).Better than digging around junk yards for "something" that might not work as good.
Old 08-01-2009, 11:07 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA # 208, 428CJ
Not Ranked     

Conratulations !! I love the color of that cat ! Looks great !

Mike
Old 08-01-2009, 06:47 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427 SC s/n 718, 428 FE
Not Ranked     

Congratulations on your Cobra acquisition. Looks like another great car in the area. Give us some details on your car and engine (is that a six?). How about some fresh photos?
Good luck and hope to meet you soon.
Rich
Old 08-01-2009, 07:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Factory Five Racing
Send a message via AIM to DA5ID
Not Ranked     

Congrats!!
Old 08-01-2009, 07:53 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF_R_/BRG/FRBoss302/327CI/FordEFI/Under_Car_Exh/
Not Ranked     

Nico-- that is a cool config of a car. -- I remember a SHO powered NAF 289 that was in Kit-Kar magazine some 15 or 20 years ago, always thought that would be the way to do it "Light" -- take picts...were all waiting !
Steve SPF 2734 MK3 / Brock Coupe #54- panavia.com
Old 08-02-2009, 04:31 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks guys for all the congrats. It's been a bummer of a weekend though because of the rain. Went out to the Manchester Car show and only one Cobra (an ERA). I think the owner was pretty miffed that it was pouring and he had to drive home. He wasn't exactly Mr Congeniality when I introduced myself...fyi...an ERA owner...

And yes, it's a 6 pack with about 345hp with the supercharger. And yes, it was the car originally designed by Jim Brownless with the help of Maurice Weaver of Unique. Jim was a true engineer to have designed this set-up. It was such a sick set-up for the time that it WAS in Kit Care magazine in July 2000.

In any event, I still need to put wipers, e-brake and bumpers on the car for inspections next week. Any suggestions on the bumpers? I really don't want to bolt anything on (or drill) to the body.

Here are some more picks!

Last edited by Trader1; 08-02-2009 at 04:52 PM..