Club Cobra Keith Craft Motorsports  

Go Back   Club Cobra > General Discussion > Club Cobra Introduction Forum (introduce yourself)

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-11-2009, 09:07 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Looking to buy
Not Ranked     
Default New Member Looking for Advice

Hello All,
I don't own a Cobra but have wanted one since the first time I laid eyes one back in the 60s. There is so much information out there I don't know which way to turn. I hope folks on this list can help me by giving advice. I want to buy a turn key Cobra. Have not decided on the engine, 289, 302, 427...?
1) What are the most common mistakes a new buyer makes?
2) How does one find out who the best builders are?
3) Any advice from the group would be greatly apprecitated.
Thank you,
Bill Wasserman
Old 08-11-2009, 10:24 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 1966 Lone Star 427SC.
Not Ranked     

Hello Bill, welcome to the board and cobras.

1- How much do you want to spend ?
Complete roller or ready to drive with drive train ?
New or used ?
Stout engine or mild ?
Good gas mileage or it doesn't matter ?
A cruiser to bad ass ?

2-take your time deciding on which brand on car, engine & parts. Many people go to fast and end up disappointed. There are many pro's & con's to select from with the manufacturer's of cobras today.

3- A good option is to buy a used one here, or on Cobra Country. You can get a very nice car, big block or small block, for around $30,000 (+).

I know this adds to the dilemma and more questions but, the more time you spend researching, the happier you'll be. Remember, there's no wrong questions, no matter how silly they may seem !

Kevin
Old 08-11-2009, 12:29 PM
Backdraft Racing Dealer
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft Racing
Not Ranked     

Bill,
You are in the right place to do the research. Get your budget figured out and then after that explore your options a little above and a little below to get a grasp on the differences. You live in me dream state for owning one of these, register as a 1965, no emissions, no inspection, and they cap sales tax at $300.

If you find yourself thinking about a Backdraft then give me a ring and we can chat about what is different / better/ etc.

The best one, is the the one you own ... so keep that in mind when getting advice here. What is the best for A is not the best for B.

Best of Luck, you are on the path to owning the most exciting car ever made $ for $.
Old 08-11-2009, 05:12 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Midstates (2001)
Not Ranked     

Hello Bill and welcome, dont let your dream become a nightmare........contact a local Cobra club and check out their cars and ask questions and maybe you can get a ride.Good Luck
Old 08-11-2009, 05:48 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road Dawg View Post
1) What are the most common mistakes a new buyer makes?
Underestimating the cost of what it takes to build one of these things.

Quote:
2) How does one find out who the best builders are?
Spend a few months reading the threads on this forum. Virtually every question you can think of has been posted, and answered, here.

Quote:
3) Any advice from the group would be greatly apprecitated.
Between now and the end of the year study the posts on this forum, and then start your build in Spring 2010. It will take you that long to really get up to speed.
Old 08-11-2009, 08:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR3542K, 347 C. I., EFI, T-5, Miata Front Sway Bar, 3 Link, Red with White Stripes
Not Ranked     

Where do you live, Bill? I am sure we have some members in your area. Most are more than willing to take you for a ride and talk about Cobras.
FFR3542K, 347, Holley Sniper EFI, T-5, 4 Wheel Discs, 3-Link, Miata Front Sway Bar, Red with White Stripes
Old 08-12-2009, 05:49 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Looking to buy
Not Ranked     
Default Anyone live near Simpsonville, SC

I'm a new member interested in my first Cobra. Anyone near Simpsonville, SC that might be willing to chat?
Bill W
Old 08-12-2009, 06:03 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 66 COBRA FE 427 /4SP. (HCS Coupe w/ 408 Stroker and TKO 600 -sold)
Send a message via AIM to Clois Harlan
Not Ranked     

Hey Dawg!

Spend the money on the front end for meaningful upgrades such as suspension, brakes, tires and engine options. Decide early on what you are going to do with your car such as auto cross, track days, or are you just interested in making evening and weekend cruises. Talk to everyone about their experience with their builder and keep notes. Key questions you may want to know before you drop any money:

1. Time line- how does this builders history support his claim for completion and delivery.

2. What re-occurring issues are common with some builders?

3. Check any of the builders cars that are for sale and see how they hold their value.

4. Most of all pick an amount you are willing to spend then add $5,000.00 to it and see if it fits with your budget.

Just some thoughts that I would consider if I were to do this again.

Clois

"Let's roll"

"Be part of Something Good
......Leave Something Good Behind!"
from CD "Long Road Out of Eden"
Old 08-12-2009, 06:24 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Bryan Anderson, owner of B&B

Hi Bill there are many good Manufactures out there please do your homework sit in a car or two to make sure that you fit, slam the doors to make sure they have steel in them, look at the fiberglass work very close to make sure you will not have 200 hours getting it ready for paint and last please keep B&B in mind we have been building cars for over 30 years I can sell you a used car a new full turnkey car or any stage you want me to stop at.
thanks Bryan Anderson www.bandbroadster.com
Old 08-12-2009, 08:18 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR #178
Not Ranked     

Bill, I live right down the road from you. Located in Irmo right outside Columbia, probably a hour+/- drive. I've got a BackDraft,#178. Your more than welcome to drop down one day and look at this model so when your out making your decisions at least you've got an idea what BackDraft has to offer. You may be able to convince me to part with mine as I am thinking of heading to Cashburns way to shop for a new model. Also I think there is another forum member, ENTDOC that lives in greenville.