Club Cobra Keith Craft Motorsports  

Go Back   Club Cobra > General Discussion > Club Cobra Introduction Forum (introduce yourself)

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-26-2009, 06:01 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Another Canadian Cobra

I live in rural Nova Scotia and have an ERA 427 Cobra with a 428 and RG 5-speed. Oddly, I chose ERA as it was fairly close to drive to, but I have been absolutely pleased with the quality of the car, so no matter why the desioins was made, it turned out to be a good one for me.

I ordered the kit in 93, made 3 trips in 94 (body on a trailor and parts in pickup 1st trip, frame on trailor and parts 2nd trip and just parts 3rd trip).

Originally, I ws going to go the Chev 350 route, but am very glad I decided on an FE instead. My 2 year build had it ready for the road in 96. Biggest delay (1 year) was trying to get some engine parts from FPP. Now out of business....I wonder why?........

Building the car was the most fun. Driving it is OK, but tinkering with things is my favourite pastime now.

Late last year, I was just about to call ERA and place an order for a GT40, but the recession has left me a little shy on extra cash, so that will have to wait. As magnificent as the GT40 is, I think I will always like the Cobra better.

Cars I've owned that were fun were a 70 MGB, 71 Datsun 240Z, 82 RX7, 84 Alfa Romeo Spyder, and my 66 Mustang. Of them all I liked the 240Z the best, but the Cobra really is the car of my dreams, so the loss of the 240Z is bearable.

I think if I could pick what I want as a second car to park next to the Cobra, it would be a DB5....of course maybe that's because I am a James Bond fan.....LOL. Bringing back that DB5 with Pierce Brosnan chasing the girl in the Ferrari down a twisting mountain road was a fav scene of mine.

Not many Cobras in Nova Scotia, so it gets a bit of attention, mostly because it's "nice looking", not because many people recognize it.

In 99 I entered it in the local car show. Wasn't expecting to win anything, but ws hoping for the People's Choice award. Instead I got "Best Ragtop".....ironic as I dont own the top....just a tonneau cover.

Biggest mistake I made was ordering Branda cast aluminum valve covers that said "Cobra 428". Too may questions on why it says 427 on the fender emblem, but assays 428 on the engine. And I've never really come up with the best answer for "Is it real"? Easy to fix....I must get some covers that say Cobra Lemans.

I still havn't installed a rollbar. I had extra brackets installed for a dual roll bar (a single rollbar that protects both occupants), but it wouldn't look "correct", so I just go without one for now.

I only discovered this forum recently, and it appears very good. I'm glad to be a member.
Old 08-26-2009, 07:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 2002 Superformance w/392 stroker
Not Ranked     

Welcome to the forum from a fellow Canuck.

I think you're one of a small number of ERA Cobra owners in Canada. Last fall I posted this message -- Any ERA owners in Canada? -- but didn't get a single reply. Bob Putnam told me that they've sold a few kits in Canada, but didn't give me a number. Lord knows they seem to make a terrific car.

At the time I was considering importing a 15-year old ERA from the U.S. or buying one in Canada, but in the end, I bought a Superformance this past July. I'm thrilled to finally own my dream car.

Be sure to post some pics of your car. I'd love to see it.

Cheers.
Old 08-27-2009, 08:12 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA140, ERA 267, ERA GT2038, ERA FIA 2045, ERAGT2077 ERA2893000EXP
Not Ranked     

Ah, motormania in Canada... now that's determination to have a car that has to sit in a garage for nine months out of the year. (Nine months of winter and three of poor sledding).

Stick with the 428 valve covers...

Jim
Old 08-27-2009, 08:20 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Thanks Guys:

Weather isn't quite so bad. A little colder than Massachusetts and approximately the same as Maine. But you're right on one thing....come Spring, wanting to get the car out for the first time becomes an obsession!

Why the comment on the Valve Covers? I do like them, just get weary of the explanation. And wern't Cobra Lemans covers standard on some original Cobras? hmmm....I can re-adress this in the appropriate forum I guess...

Weather....by late October, it's all over till May....a 6 month wait......
Old 08-27-2009, 08:24 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I'm curious. How did you get the car into Canada? I have someone in B.C. that wants to buy my car and according to everyone we both talked to, including Transport Canada, it's impossible. My car is even titled as a 1965 but they still won't allow it in.

Jim
Old 08-27-2009, 08:48 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I didn't bring a car in, I brought in parts. There's more to it than that, but all legal. PM me if you want details.
Old 08-27-2009, 09:00 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA140, ERA 267, ERA GT2038, ERA FIA 2045, ERAGT2077 ERA2893000EXP
Not Ranked     

As for the valve covers, give Peter a call at ERA. He owned CSX3252, a street car with a 428ci engine. He can tell you which valve covers wer on his motor.

Jim
Old 08-28-2009, 05:43 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 2002 Superformance w/392 stroker
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Holden View Post
Ah, motormania in Canada... now that's determination to have a car that has to sit in a garage for nine months out of the year.
Thank you for understanding our plight. I've owned a Miata for 10 years and have just added the Cobra to the stable -- man, I just know how deprived I'm gonna feel this winter!

The climate is a bit more temperate in Nova Scotia than here in the nation's capital, Ottawa. We can get hit with some long cold spells -- in the minus 30-40 degree C range for weeks -- and get a sh**load of snow (more than 12 feet total snowfall in each of the past two years!!). Not good Cobra weather, for sure.

As you can imagine, I'm a big fan of global warming. When the climate here starts to look like Florida, then I'll say "OK, that's enough!"